Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain side exit exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:34 PM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side exit exhaust

mods, please move this to the correct place because im not sure where it'd go....sorry

but i was thinking the other day, since I love straight drag and v8s... and all that fun stuff... every turbo small block has the exhaust coming straight out of the fender. I personally love this because imagine how loud the turbo spool would be on hard acceleration and if it's straight-piped the flames popping.

has anyone every done this? i would totally love this. but looking under the hood i cant imagine how it would be done. maybe a lower side exit?

could someone post some pictures of their setup if they have this? i would love to know more if it's been done!

Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sell your Mini right now....lol seriously have you looked at the bottom of your car? Without fabricating a new exhaust tunnel in the car, and removing the passenger seat, I don't see it.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 PM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
Yea I guess you're right, since I'm curious about this I'll just sell my car. Good call. It's not like I enjoy driving my mini or anything.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Here: MCS Side Exit

Seen a R53 from CT with a side exit just like this....It sounded way better than anyone could have imagined. Was no where as obnoxious as the Magnaflow I had by any means.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:30 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Unless you're willing to lose a bunch of ground clearance side-exits from underneath the car aren't really feasible unless you're using ovalized piping which is expensive and difficult to work with. Unfortunately the engine bay in the mini is pretty cramped and the wheel well set back from the engine bay so it'd be really really difficult to make it work. With enough cutting and welding new metal though....

Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
It looks like the guy in the video was able to wrap the exhaust around the back of the fuel tanks and poke it out the rocker without dropping the exhaust under the car (killing ground clearance). I can't see whether he put heat shielding between the exhaust pipe and the plastic fuel tank--something that would probably be a good idea. Tuning the sound of the exhaust would be very limiting, since you would have do to all of the resonating/muffling in the tunnel. If you poke it out the rocker, I would fit a piece of sheet metal on the outside of the rocker to shield the plastic from the hot exhaust gasses.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:23 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 180 Likes on 168 Posts
The link has a great photo of pipe routing that shows the best route without loosing ground clearance e.g.,

Overall I think it is nice work, I would like the sound to be just a little deeper, maybe using a slightly wider ID pipe... But nice job and I would cap the pipe ends with the JCW tips.

I would also add some heat shielding above the pipes, I wouldn't want to accidentally add a heater to the fuel cell...

Motor on!

Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM
mikeBURRITO
1st Gear
man... id love to get another mini just to do a project like this. maybe a turbo with the exhaust coming just out of that little panel behind the hood. I'd have to move some stuff around, sure but i think that'd be cool... maybe just for like a street rod mini or something for the car shows. used minis are like, under 6 for an older one, but it'd have to be turbo to get that flame shot. i was just curious if anyone had ever done it as a custom build or something.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:21 PM
isamin
4th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This is one of the best ways to kill what little power these cars have!!! 90 degree bends work wonders at choking exhaust gas passage. This will make your MINI sound very nasty when you're in line at the drive thru and also earn you a ticket because it is against the law to exit gases next to a passenger compartment. Why not get a 1/2 set of ZOOMIES from back in the day and an exhaust cutout from jcwhitney you'll be stylin.

ISAMIN

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by isamin
....earn you a ticket because it is against the law to exit gases next to a passenger compartment.
Are you sure about this? Can you please provide a reference?

Don't Dodge Vipers have side exiting exhaust?

Old 04-10-2015, 04:56 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by isamin
This is one of the best ways to kill what little power these cars have!!! 90 degree bends work wonders at choking exhaust gas passage. This will make your MINI sound very nasty when you're in line at the drive thru and also earn you a ticket because it is against the law to exit gases next to a passenger compartment. Why not get a 1/2 set of ZOOMIES from back in the day and an exhaust cutout from jcwhitney you'll be stylin.

ISAMIN

earn you a ticket because it is against the law to exit gases next to a passenger compartment.
PS: Only if pass side compartment has it's OWN door.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:22 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts