Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aftermarket(Uprated) Fuel Pumps (hpfp) Options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 AM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket(Uprated) Fuel Pumps (hpfp) Options?

I'm thinking that my HPFP has gone out. I'm at 165k. I'm wanting to fix it but I don't really trust the OEM for the future. Has anyone else bought/used a non OEM? Issues/Recommendations? I'm considering the one below.

$260 - DeatschWerks DW65v Uprated Fuel Pump for R53/R56 MINI Cooper S
http://www.greeneperformance.com/col...iant=917422479

Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM
velvetcows
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DeatschWerks fuel pump does not seem to be a replacement for the high pressure fuel pump that you believe has gone bad.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Funny...a r53 does not use a hpfp...only an in tank submerged conventional, with conventional fuel injection....so I think the listing is just plain wrong....or you are reading it wrong, and it replaces the in tank pump only....

Old 05-08-2015, 12:57 PM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
I think that you're right, this is just for the "in tank" one. Sorry about that.

Is there any other HPFP options out on the market?

Old 05-09-2015, 05:20 AM
myles2go
2nd Gear
Look at Greeneperformance.com. He has an uprated drop in replacement pump.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by myles2go
Look at Greeneperformance.com. He has an uprated drop in replacement pump.
Guess you didn't read the thread...
The link was to that exact pump....it only replaces the in tank pump that provides "head pressure" to the hpfp on the gen2 DI CARS....

Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM
myles2go
2nd Gear
Sorry, I didn't read the link. The Greene performance pump is for 1st gen cars and replaces the eom fuel pump. This thread is for a fuel pump for a 1st gen car, isn't it?

Old 05-11-2015, 06:05 AM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
I'm definitely looking for a 2nd generation "permanent fix". The last thing that I want to do is put another band aid on when I know my car needs a surgery.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:29 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The failure of hpfp are typically due to a few reasons....
Lack of lube, aka, running low on fuel, and the pump gets a few slugs of air...and the pumps wears like crazy...happens on many makes....the little gears in the pump that makes the high psi needs to be lubed...the fuel IS the lube...fuel good, air bad. Just as the in tank pumps tend to fail from running low on the fuel, the hpfp seem to fail for the same folks.... They put off getting fuel..the countdown says they have 30 miles left ...25 to work....can wait one more day...ouch...happens a few times...a newer filter would not hurt....
Fuel with lots of ethanol can be an issue...not as slick, a similar situation in the diesel community with hpfp right now...there folks on VW TDI cars are using addatives with every tank cause modern diesel fuel sold in the US is less "slick" than the euro stuff, funny thing here is that bio diesel in a 2+% blend fixes the issue...
Remanufactured pumps can be bought for a couple hundred bucks for a mini....makes dealing with the dealer a nonstarter for many if you must leave a car overnight for warrenty work.....
My suggestion...use decent fuel, e10% max, don't go below 1/4 tank if driving aggressively or 1/8 if mostly flat sedate driving....and deal with it if/when it happens, just like carbon blasting, etc...

Old 05-14-2015, 01:06 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Lets not all confuse flow with pressure. And adjustable fuel pressure regulator will tweak pressure, while a Walbro 255lph pump will provide more fuel capacity in general.

Just use an OEM pump unless you're building a high-power car that has a fuel system incapable of providing sufficient fuel.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 PM
bisnitch
2nd Gear
Guess who has never run out of fuel in they’re MINI, this guy. I don’t buy that explanation. The 335s had the same HPFP issues too. I'm just saying that you don't get to a HPFP recall without there being a serious defect in the design and a high number of equipment failures. I haven't seen a write up stating how many revisions of the design BMW/MINI has went through and the improvements. The warranty has been extended out to 120k but I don't trust the OEM. I’ll re-install another OEM one if I have to but I think that it’s fair game to explore other options. Likewise I don’t like putting band-aids on problems. I like fixing them the first time. Nothing more frustrating then "fixing" something a second time.

Change your oil every 3-4 k miles and you won’t have the death rattle, tensioner issue.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:27 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
This thread needs to be moved to 2nd Gen. Some of us are confused, haha.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:34 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bisnitch
Guess who has never run out of fuel in they’re MINI, this guy. I don’t buy that explanation. The 335s had the same HPFP issues too. I'm just saying that you don't get to a HPFP recall without there being a serious defect in the design and a high number of equipment failures. I haven't seen a write up stating how many revisions of the design BMW/MINI has went through and the improvements. The warranty has been extended out to 120k but I don't trust the OEM. I’ll re-install another OEM one if I have to but I think that it’s fair game to explore other options. Likewise I don’t like putting band-aids on problems. I like fixing them the first time. Nothing more frustrating then "fixing" something a second time.

Change your oil every 3-4 k miles and you won’t have the death rattle, tensioner issue.
Naww...not saying your case YOU caused the pump to fail with 165k, I think you got your $$ out of it...me, I'd toss a $400 remanfacured unit in, and not worry.
But when I hear folks going through 2 or 3 in under 100k....there is more to the story...
The prices on the pumps have come down dramatically...when the warrenty was extented, it was a very $$$ issue, up there with the timing chain costs (don't get me started on that stuff, but as a gen1 owner, I was not affected, but knew a guy localy that got a replament motor on a new car in months back in 2007, motor was shipped to Germany for examination, then had 2 timing chains done before buying a gen1 in about a year).
There have been design/quality/longevity issues with the BMW/mini hpfp agreed, but a $400 part (now) every 150,000k is pretty small IMO . not sure of the revisions in the design, but
VW just recalled a bunch of new gasoline cars with a bosh hpfp...they were failing in 2500 miles..ouch...yeah..
Yeah..I recently moved on...every maker has issues, but mini seems to like delaying a recall untill most orgional owners have sold their cars, and tossed their receipts for repairs...ethically, drives me nuts...heck the gen1 seat bottoms have finely gotten recalled...even though most were failing within a year of install going back to the 2005-2006 cars, resulting in airbag lights and a $1500 bill....