Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Newbie to mini-modding looking to do some bolt-ons and a tune

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016 | 08:07 PM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
Newbie to mini-modding looking to do some bolt-ons and a tune

Im coming from an 03 sentra spec-v where all i had to use to fool emissions for a completely cat-less exhaust was o2 spacers. I know the cel light for r56 can be "coded out" with a tune, but does that mean it the monitors do not set? Or can i actually go through emissions cat-less as long as i have the tune in this thing?

The reason i ask is because i am thinking of doing at least a few mods for now just to give the mini a little bump in power. I want to do down pipe, intercooler, dv, and tune, then maybe move on to something else in the future, but from what ive read, those mods ive chosen seem to be a good starting point and should get me close if not over the 200hp mark correct? Please feel free to educate me if need be.

Also, i was thinking of doing the physical mods first, then the tune. Or should i go the opposite route?

Last edited by azbawood; 02-01-2016 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts
Old 02-01-2016 | 04:26 AM
mbwicz
6th Gear
From what I understand, the tune just disables the light. At emissions testing you will get the 'not ready' or 'not accepted' code, which usually fails the test.

You should do the mods first, then get the tune. Then it can be optimized for your setup.

Swapping out the DP isn't fun, but once you've done it, you can determine if it is worth pulling it (and the tune) for the emissions test.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 02-01-2016 | 05:51 AM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
This gives me two more questions:

1)How do I pull the tune?

2) Once its gone, if i want to re-tune will I need to take it back to the tuner and re-pay to have it tuned?

The tune I am looking at doing is the manic-tune, seems they have a location in phoenix that does it.

Old 02-01-2016 | 10:10 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
I'm pretty sure the Manic tune will disable the light and have you pass emissions testing, but only if your state does OBDII emissions testing. Something about feeding the emissions module a different RPM or something. Someone more educated than me can explain it. If they do "sniff tests" or visual inspections you'll obviously need a catted downpipe. If you are still concerned about the check engine light still a guy on here makes catless downpipes that won't throw a code because they are pre-spaced. His name is Mario (username: MarioKart) and you can talk to him about getting one. I have one myself and it's a great piece of kit but agreed with the above, putting it is is a pain. Not hard, just time consuming.

I went stage 1 on the manic tune first and now I have the hardware to go stage 2. If you go that route you will need to pay to get it reflashed, but the shop will usually give you a discount because Manic offers discounts on return customers. I'd recommend just getting all the hardware done first and going right to stage 2 though if that's what you want to do. Also, instead of a diverter valve, get a cold air intake, that's what Manic wants you to have for stage 2.

If you are just looking for a small bump in power though for 200hp stage 1 should get you there or close, and that can be run bone stock.

Old 02-01-2016 | 11:16 AM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
Ok, cool thanks for all the great info, ive run across lots of good things said about mariokart in things that ive read so far......so if i do these mods and swap the dv for intake what kind of numbers are we looking at? I basically want to make sure shes fun but stay safe on stock internals.

Old 02-01-2016 | 12:05 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Originally Posted by azbawood
Ok, cool thanks for all the great info, ive run across lots of good things said about mariokart in things that ive read so far......so if i do these mods and swap the dv for intake what kind of numbers are we looking at? I basically want to make sure shes fun but stay safe on stock internals.
Manic quotes somewhere around 200 for stage 1 and around 220 for stage 2. YMMV due to region, weather, hardware, mileage, ect.

Old 02-01-2016 | 01:06 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
I don't think you need a cold air intake unless you want. I went bought the Stage 1 JCW CAI to satisfy the Manic stage 2. No regrets but I think I could've saved money and just installed a high flow dry panel filter to satisfy the tune:
http://www.waymotorworks.com/dry-pan...-cooper-s.html

Old 02-01-2016 | 05:40 PM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
And nobody has trouble with the stock dv at higher boost levels? Does it peak and hold like it should, without leaking?

Old 02-01-2016 | 06:06 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
And nobody has trouble with the stock dv at higher boost levels? Does it peak and hold like it should, without leaking?
I have not problems with mine at Stage 1. I don't even think I have a stage 2 option with an N18 manual. GFB's only works with automatic.

Old 02-02-2016 | 05:09 PM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I have not problems with mine at Stage 1. I don't even think I have a stage 2 option with an N18 manual. GFB's only works with automatic.
What is GFB?

Old 02-02-2016 | 05:13 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
What is GFB?
Go Fast Bits. They make a Diverter Valve upgrade, the only one for the N18 I believe. But like I said, only works with automatic.

Old 02-02-2016 | 05:15 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
What is GFB?
GFB is Go Fast Bits....they make an aftermarket Diverter valve

I'm running stock turbo and diverter with manic stage 2. No problems holding boost. I've just downloaded Torque Pro today and I got a max of 16 psi around the neighborhood. I'll see soon as I'm curious to see the max boost on the B map.

Old 02-02-2016 | 05:23 PM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
Ahh got it

Old 02-03-2016 | 08:04 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
I went and bought the Forge diverter valve for the Manic 2+ tune that I run. I like how fast it reacts, pretty much instantaneously. It works for N18 manual. I also think it's beefier than the stock one; if you take apart the stock diverter valve and compare to the Forge, the Forge valve is clearly going to hold up better.
This is the one I have: https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2723932/
Mario also did my tune, and I couldn't be happier with his service. I wish I knew about his downpipes when he did the tune; I would have bought from him.

Old 02-04-2016 | 08:05 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sounds like you have a great set up with the tune and forge.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-06-2016 | 11:20 AM
azbawood
|
2nd Gear
So i think i might be ordering an intake this weekend...any recommendations?

Old 02-06-2016 | 09:08 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
As far as I've seen the AEM one is the only true "cold air" intake unless you reposition the intake entirely. I have the NM engineering one and it makes the turbo noise much louder and I love it. Up to you really.

Old 02-08-2016 | 06:51 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Running the ECS CF intake , stock JCW tune. True CAI. Uses the stock inlet pipe from the front corner

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...er-intake.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-08-2016 | 07:39 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
For the record, the days of a 'Cold Air' intake making more power than a clean stock air filter are over. Manufacturers are under such pressure to increase fuel efficiency that they do not design intakes that choke airflow to the engine.