Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Euler-Spiral
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a safety shut off test for the throttle valve on my Bavarian Technic. I usually have to clean my throttle valve but never had one not work. I am dry sumping my N14 so could send you some bits to test with if necessary. The BMW techs should be ok but it does seem the MINI brand is an extra buy-in.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:15 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
WrenchMonkey, you should send an email to Tracy/Tuner Boost, he is the guy who design that system, actually he answer you and ask you some questions in other thread. Here is the link

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...estion-11.html

Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks sub3622, I forgot I had posted there. The car is at the dealers now, hopefully we will know better tomorrow wth is going on. I'll keep yall posted and thanks for the support.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any update to what the dealer found ?

Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Hey guys, sorry for not updating this, my life is 50 different kinds of ****ed up rolled into a paper bag and shook up, I'm all over the place mentally and physically so bear with me.

Short Story: It was in fact the throttle body that for whatever reason just so happened to **** out on me during the OCC install. Replaced it, problem solved.

Long version: Dealership wanted to charge 350 for TB, plus labor, plus diagnostics, ect, total would have come up to around about 900 dollars and I can't play that game, especially knowing that I could replaced the throttle body in 15 minutes with only three tools, a t13 (if I remember correctly) torx bit and a flat head screwdriver and whatever MM socket for the intake bolts, so I held onto the loaner a couple extra days (they were not happy about that but I agreed to pay the additional 50 dollars a day) for long enough for a TB I bought from fleabay for 100 american peso's. I turned in the loaner, limped my car off their lot because doing anything on their property could somehow become a legal liability issue, parked at the gym next to them, pulled off the intake, replaced the TB, put everything back together, started the car, revved the engine up to 5 or 6k and let it idle exactly where it should for a minute or two to confirm, drove over to the dealer, forfeited about 400 for their diagnostic time (they did run a vacuum test and discovered a small leak, which they jb welded..) as well as the time I had the loaner. I know it was kind of scummy of me to roll it out this way but I had to do what I had to do, I can't pay dealership prices for brand new parts like that +2 hours labor for something I actually did in less than 20 minutes in a parking lot...

So all has been well since, except I have an exhuast leak now which gives me the great excuse of replacing the whole exhaust, but that also means I now have to spend an absurd amount of money for a tune, which also involves an amount of down time if I have to send the ECU off... oh the headaches this ****ing car causes... It's so ****ing lucky I love the damn thing.

Also, I have been having an issue with smoke coming from the engine bay from time to time, usually after I've been at a stop light or any time I'm in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic. No real loss of power, havent been able to identify a location at idle parked, I'm not sure if theres an oil leak at the turbo or if it's the exhaust leak.. it doesn't seem that it would be the exhaust leak because under the car at idle it's a fairly small pulsation you can feel with your hand on the upperside of the V joint. And man, she smokes a lot when it happens... It's been troubling me for sometime and I'm not sure what to do. But other than that she runs fine. I'll play with my scan gauge and see if I can't observe some A/F ratios.. Thanks for the help and advice guys.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:29 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Wrench, did you keep the OCC? If yes, is it working good?

Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
I did keep the OCC and due to trying to track down whatever my smoking problem is I actually just opened the valve for the first time and it's definitely working, I got the nasty green oily schmuck all over my hand and even after washing it three times with dawn dish soap my hand still smells... Not cool. However I'm glad that crap isn't being recirculated to my engine. Tomorrow I'll pull the car into my shop so I can actually get under her and drain it properly, the kit comes with an extra length of drainage hose but my cars too low for me to get a bottle or anything under it effectively.

For science reasons I felt inclined to take apart my old TB and see WTF was wrong with it and what on earth would make a simple throttle body cost 350 dinero..... I'm not 100% whether or not what I found was actually the fault or a result of my disassembly methods... but it seemed like one of the brass arms that supply power to the motor was broke.. or I broke it. Who knows. Also, 350 dollars? for a couple plastic gears, a little motor, a bearing and some thermo-plastic? seriously bmw trying to milk you for all your worth.

Attached Thumbnails R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install-imag0820.jpg   R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install-imag0821.jpg   R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install-imag0822.jpg   R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install-imag0829.jpg   R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install-imag0830.jpg  

Old 05-10-2016, 04:35 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Great!!! let us know whats the result...

Old 05-11-2016, 03:41 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Not even two whole months and between the 2 oz or so I got all over my hand and transmission yesterday and the 4 oz of I drained out today there was easily 6 oz of ... combustion by-product collected in the OCC and man, I've dealt with some nasty, crazy and dangerous materials in my life but this **** is gross. It's like a soft green, kind of like mildew.. there's bubbles in it but they don't float, they sink.... the smell of it permeates your skin (which means I will be wearing surgical gloves from now on), it's just gross. I didn't snap a picture todays been a helluva day for me, we will see what it looks like after being allowed to "settle" over night.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM
sub3622
4th Gear
Great!!!
Did you found oil in the inlet tube after you removed?

Old 05-13-2016, 03:30 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear

Attached Thumbnails R56S throttles up and down at idle after OCC install-imag0945.jpg  
Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
WOW!!!! for how long did you have the occ on? seems like the occ was full already.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:25 PM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
I purchased the "monster" sized OCC, it was no where near full, I guestimate that there was 6 oz in there after just two months, the monster OCC has 32 oz capacity, It's a BIG can. A little more difficult to make it fit but it can be done.

http://www.mcnallyelectronics.com/Un...ator_p_53.html