Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain magnaflow exhaust - 18hp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2002, 12:57 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will you also pay for dyno time if it doesn't give me at least 18 hp at the wheels?
Actually, better yet, let RandyBMC have one for testing and let him post his results here.

>>Dominic- We have sent systems out to companies and mini cooper tumers for testing. We have told each the same story. We will send you a ssytem, you can test it, if you do not like it we will give you your money back- No questions asked.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:57 PM
urgo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>>This is exactly why I am not chomping at the bit to get
>>aftermarket goodies. 12 months from now I'll see what is
>>out there...
Ditto that. For now I will make it look good and let the performance products shake and settle until the cream rises to the top. Heck I'm having a blast now with just what it came with!

Old 11-24-2002, 08:02 PM
2minis
6th Gear
>>>>This is exactly why I am not chomping at the bit to get
>>>>aftermarket goodies. 12 months from now I'll see what is
>>>>out there...
>>Ditto that. For now I will make it look good and let the performance products shake and settle until the cream rises to the top. Heck I'm having a blast now with just what it came with!

Actually, this one has me interested...

Old 11-24-2002, 08:35 PM
2minis
6th Gear
I have thought this over and am ordering on Monday.
I'll post my findings...of course. I like a company that
seems willing to stand behind a product.

Old 11-24-2002, 09:06 PM
X2Board
5th Gear
Ellis,

I've never been afraid to put my money where my mouth is, "IF" -trying to type without - your system makes the claimed power increase, I will buy one and give it away to some lucky person on this board. But for now, I'll keep waving the flag.

Old 11-24-2002, 09:45 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
Can i be that lucky person!!

Old 11-24-2002, 09:56 PM
urgo
1st Gear
I too am ready to be lucky! Also looking forward to input form those who are trying it out.

Old 11-26-2002, 12:49 PM
MagnaflowPerformance
Neutral
Pictures are loaded... See them here... http://www.magnaflow.com/corey/minicooper.jpg

X2- I'll make a mental note... :smile:

Old 11-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I will be participating with George from MINI-Madness this friday, November 29th to test the magnaflow exhaust on an independant dyno. 911ETR (Bryan) will be there, too. George owns MINI-Madness and has modded his MCS too much, so my MCS will be used for the base-line testing. Then they are going to throw on the exhaust and dyno again. I will be happy to post our findings with George's permission, as it is his dime paying for the dyno. I've got a BMP intake that I'll be returning to stock for the runs, but will try to talk George into a run with the BMP and the Magnaflow (and if I'm really lucky, without magnaflow, with BMP).

Stay tuned, I promise to let everyone know everything I'm allowed to say after these runs. I don't see why George would have any problem with me posting dyno results from my car...but again, his dime...

R

Old 11-27-2002, 01:42 PM
jlm
6th Gear
sounds great. hope you are using a Mustang dyno so the results will compare more directly to what we found on the Helix dyno. For what it's worth, we found that you need to let the car cool to a base intercooler temp (we used 130 degrees at the intercooler fins) before each run.

since George has no doubt tested his before, but under different conditions, it would be informative to run his as is when you do your runs so you can compare heavily-modded to stock(even though different cars)

bring ear protection. and try the duct tape mod!

Old 11-29-2002, 01:22 PM
newbs49
Banned
Why wouldn't George post the results. Magnaflow sent him the exhaust to test to verify their claims for HP which they say are true. I know they sell a different brand,but if the HP is correct I would sell the product that everyone would want. Plus from what I understand they were offered the product line.

GET THE RESULTS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2002, 05:48 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Any update on this from the dyno day?

Old 11-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Any update on this from the dyno day?

[x-post from the "other" forum]

Wow that was fun! Aside from gutting the interior for my stereo install, I hadn't really gotten my hands dirty from my MCS yet. Last night changed that! We were swaping exhausts and intakes. Way fun!

I'll keep my response here on subject to the Magnaflow.

I really liked the way the tips looked out back. Kinda like twin trumpets. Sounded good too. Granted it didn't put down what Magnaflow was claiming, but it wasn't a slouch either. 911ETR's post noting about 10-12hp gain was about right. Will have to check the charts once George from MINI-Madness emails me the scans. But that sounds right from what I remember.

What was surprising was the Quicksilver exhaust. It was putting down a few horsies less than the Magnaflow, but had to be half to a third of the weight. The stock exhaust and the Magnaflow are both a bit heavy and ackward to move around by yourself. The Quicksilver was so light you could walk around with it in one hand. So the hp gains the Magnaflow had over the Quicksilver are negated due to the weight savings. Not to mention the fact that George and I removed the Quicksilver from his MCS and put it on my MCS in under a half hour. Simplicity is always a good thing. One other thing to note was that the Quicksilver exhaust was a prototype and didn't have the mandrel bends the final product will. So there are potentially a few more hp to be found in that setup. Personally, I'm going with the Quicksilver when the time comes. I really liked the sound and the setup.

Anyway, just thought I'd post a couple pictures for everyone. One is of the Magnaflow exhaust on my MCS so you can check out the tips. The other is of the car on the dyno, so you can see what we mean by blowing compressed air on the intercooler for the runs.

Can't wait to get those dyno sheets from George. Again, what a fun day.

Thanks Bryan, thanks George!!!

R

2002 Darksilver/Black Cooper S

Old 12-01-2002, 06:21 AM
ficcion
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Go to this page for video/audio for the magnaflow exhaust: LINK :smile:

Old 12-01-2002, 08:47 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
about 10-12hp gain
Hey MagnaFlowPerformance ...

RE: Claimed HP gains: I've got a time machine, a tree that grows money, and a bag of magical pixie dust I'd like to sell you! For you, I'll make a special deal if you take all three. They're cheap too. It's almost worth the money for the sound alone!

Old 12-01-2002, 12:29 PM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
Hi guys!

My name is Bryan or 911ETR from mini2. I hear you guys are having a heated debate over this Magnaflow exhaust. We were also having the same exact discussion on mini2. I spent many hours talking to Magnaflow and researching this product. As of matter of fact I should start fresh and explain our organizations goals.

I am starting a basic website at http://www.mcshp.org to provide as a third party the most accurate and realistic hp numbers available through comprehensive testing and documentation. I have been approaching many of the manufactures and retailers offering our services and have been receiving an overwhelming response. Until mcshp.org is operational you may access our information at http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese/. Most of the information is the claimed HP numbers by the manufacture but I will be adding an as tested column.

We just finished dyno testing the Magnaflow exhaust in Portland with Mini-Madness and the president of the Oregon Mini Club. We also tested this exhaust with the BMP intake and Rogue intake along with the Quicksilver exhaust.

I have not finished going through all the dyno charts and but will be posting them soon to our site. This was our first time dynoing and testing so I will do another run next week sometime and compare. My Cooper S is being delivered next week so Ryan (President of the Portland Mini Club) loaned us his bone stock S with 2500 miles. We wanted a broken in car without mods to do a base run.

I am sure that most of you will not be satisified until you actually see the sheets but I will give you some numbers. We are in the middle of obtaining a scanner.

Magnaflow over stock gave an impressive 10-13 at the wheels gain over stock
Quicksilver gave about 8-10 at the wheels over stock
BMP airfilter with stock exhaust gave 2-3hp at the wheels
Rogue airfilter with stock exhaust gave 7-9hp at the wheels
Mangaflow and Rogue gave a combined 15 at the wheels
Quicksilver and Rogue gave a combined 12-14 at the wheels.

Note that these are estimates off the top of my head and will have the official results as soon as the dyno guy scans them in and e-mail’s them to me.

I must say that the quicksilver posted one strange run that gave about 5 more hp at the wheels. After thinking about this for awhile, we came to the concusion the factory ECU probably was confused and needed time to adjust to the lean condition introduced. Our runs were back to back with no drive time in between. With this in mind I think that after the ECU adjusted we may see a few more HP, maybe 5 more with the two exhaust.

If anyone has information about new products or any info at all please e-mail us.

Old 12-01-2002, 12:32 PM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
>>Why wouldn't George post the results. Magnaflow sent him the exhaust to test to verify their claims for HP which they say are true. I know they sell a different brand,but if the HP is correct I would sell the product that everyone would want. Plus from what I understand they were offered the product line.
>>
>>GET THE RESULTS OUT!!!!!!!!!!

Magnaflow did not send George a system. They sent it to me. Geroge was on hand to see the results and also test the quicksilver.

Old 12-01-2002, 01:09 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Hello Bryan,
1st let me personally thank you for taking the time and effort to.......
taking the time & effort to conduct the various required tests and post this relevant information here and additionally to your website
http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese/
From the early results.... it seems that both the Magnaflow Exhaust & Rogue Air Intake Systems are the early lead contenders.
Thanks again :smile:
Peace,
D

Old 12-01-2002, 01:14 PM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
I have been going back and reading some of these posts and thanks to davbret for also commenting on our dyno day.

I for one am very satisfied with the Magnaflow. They have been very helpful. I think that maybe Magnaflow needs to understand that most all of the products out there are not really innovative in the respects of being different. Everyone really has the same designs with different mufflers. So when you have a good engineered product it’s hard to believe the gains over the conventional exhaust designs.

When I was in the “hahah you have got to be kidding” phase I went out and did some research and found that this design is a spinoff of some Porsche exhaust systems. Magnaflow added their twist but it was close and that is when I got serious about testing this system.

After I received the system I saw those trumpet tips and my first though was OMG. I sat around thinking for a while then thought “you know I don’t care if there is a dead chicken on the back of my car, if it performs then so be it” After I installed the system they didn’t look so strange and I got used to it. Now I sort of fancy them.

Old 12-01-2002, 02:33 PM
MCSHP
2nd Gear
Guys,

I just received all the dyno sheets and I am a bit confused to say the least. So please dont buy or not buy based on what I said yet. Give me some time to sort things out. I want to make sure I am giving you all the most accurate information I can.

The ECU not being reset between runs has me worried. Back to the dyno....

Old 12-01-2002, 02:55 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear

The ECU not being reset between runs has me worried. Back to the dyno....
We'll wait. Take your time and make sure you have things straight. BTW, did MagnaFlow offer you guys any deals for the exchaust you guys are testing?

Old 12-01-2002, 02:59 PM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
Hello MCSHP

Neighbor of yours over here in Bellevue, WA, but out in SLC for the time being.

Do you race at SIR ever? I race a 1972 Duster funnycar out there with my father and some other things from time to time.

Looks like you really know the true facts on the mods. Can you provide me with some advice? What would be the top products for wanting to upgrade these things (for MINI Cooper S):

-Best Cold Air Intake System?

-Best Air Filter?

-Best ECU Upgrade?

Can you provide web sites, names or such?

I really appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 12-01-2002, 03:08 PM
2minis
6th Gear
What is a poor boy to do but wait???

Old 12-01-2002, 03:11 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
HighAnxiety: I appreciate where your questions are coming from. It has been hard to get "independent" 3rd party test data, so the work that MCSHP has done should prove useful.

That said, to keep this topic on track, please keep comments in this thread related to the magnaflow exhaust and the recently conducted testing.

If you have specific comments or questions about other products, please (1) check out the search function there are quite a few threads on intakes and ECU mods (so you might be able to answer some of your questions that way). (2) Start a new thread.

Old 12-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Grinder
3rd Gear
As for ECU upgrades check out http://www.tjhsst.edu/~btonnese Near the bottom you'll find links to various companies offering an ECU reprogram for the MCS. Hope you like the work done on the website so far....we'll try to keep it as up-to-date as possible. If you guys come across anything not listed, email us!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain magnaflow exhaust - 18hp?