Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Denso iridium spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:34 PM
mini_r53
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone used racing plugs? comment please.

NGK racing plugs R7433-8, R7433-9, R7433-10 for mini

Old 11-21-2005, 04:24 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
could sumone please answer him!?

Old 11-29-2005, 09:11 PM
mini_r53
2nd Gear
DENSO racing plugs IK01-24

I have installed DENSO racing plugs IK01-24.
My impression is that car acceration is better and engine can run in high rev smoothly.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
picked up the colder denso plugs for my MCS - whats the correct gap?

Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
European car did a build

With IK-22s and dynod a gain of 4-8 hp from 6000 to 7000 RPM. If you go to their site, look in project cars and read one of the Mini build ups.

PS, I like this mag because it does staged build ups and tests the benefits. Your results may be different, but at least they do real world testing, unlike the R&T and C&D mags....

Matt

Old 12-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
picked up the colder denso plugs for my MCS - whats the correct gap?
The iridium tip is too fine and delicate for gapping. They come "pre-gapped"

Old 12-14-2005, 11:37 PM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
I gapped my IK22's to .039. Works great with a coil pack.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:32 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
=0)

Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
The iridium tip is too fine and delicate for gapping. They come "pre-gapped"
this is what a lot of people say ..............but when usin' a coil pack u should always 'gap' to take full advantage of the increase in spark! also to make sure it is gap correctly from factory, i never jus drop them in meself.
......:::: tennis_man :::.... what did u use to gap urs, where did u get .039 from???

Old 12-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
After replacing my 4 electrode Bosch plugs, with the Denso Iridiums, my MINI idles much smoother (especially when cold) and improved my MPG an average of .86 I definetly think that the multi electrode plugs are a gimmick. I also switched to 9mm Kingsbourne ignition wires at the same time, so that may have helped as well. Next will be a coil pack from MSD or SD.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
go for MSD.....

: ::...:::...

Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I found this - they indicate that 0.044 is what a MCS (03) shouold be using.

[SIZE=4]IRIDIUM POWER™ GAPPING TIPS[/SIZE]
Before attempting to gap any DENSO Iridium Power spark plug, please review the specification chart in the front of this catalog to verify the factory-preset gap. In most cases your Iridium Power plugs do not need to be gapped. Even with small variations in the factory set gap the ultra-efficient firing power design will compensate for those small variations.

Should you decide to re-gap your Iridium Power plug, use extreme caution as improper gapping may damage or destroy the Iridium center electrode or porcelain center.

To increase the gap size:
• Step 1: Use needle nose pliers or spark plug gapping tool to bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

HOW DO YOU DO THIS (I.E. NOT TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER) AND SET THE PROPER GAP?

• Step 2: Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool.

To decrease the gap size:
Step 1: Use the same method as above, however bend the ground strap down to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE PLIERS OR GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

• Step 2: Re-check the gap with a calibrated gapping tool. WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.

WARNING: Failure to follow these directions may permanently damage the spark plug. [SIZE=2]Note: Never use a round gapping tool to check the gap or to increase or decrease the gap setting.[/SIZE]

Old 12-15-2005, 09:48 AM
minimc
5th Gear
Several considerations re: Denso iridium plugs/single ground-electrode plugs & multi ground-electrode plugs in general.

All spark plugs
Every time a spark plug sparks tiny bits of the electrodes burn off and the gap between ground-electrode & center electrode widens (slightly). As the gap continues to increase through use, the voltage required to 'jump' the gap also increases. Eventually the gap becomes so wide that the coil cannot produce enough voltage to sufficiently or consistently ‘fire’ the plug... i.e. Misfire… & why we re-gap worn plugs.

Multi ground-electrode plugs
Irrespective of how many electrodes a plug might employ only 1 ground-electrode functions (in concert with the center electrode) at any one time. Neither electrode shape, material nor brand of plug changes this fact. Any additional ground-electrodes on the plug are simply 'waiting' for duty. When/if one of the functioning ground-electrodes becomes fouled or worn (gap eroded) the next electrode 'in line' takes over duty… Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. Each additional ground-electrode functions exactly as the first did. This cycle: electrode use/gap erosion/non-use/use will continue until (ultimately) each ground-electrode is worn beyond function.

Pros - Multi-electrode plugs
a) have a longer service life than single electrode plugs.
b) typically do not need to be re-gapped during their service interval
c) provide an additional measure of security - less chance of misfire due to redundant ground-electrodes

Cons - Multi-electrode plugs
a) have X hundred % additional ground-electrode material in the combustion chamber
b) shroud the spark from the air/fuel mixture/flow - incomplete burn, less power/fuel economy
c) slightly increase compression ratio (occupying a greater volume of the combustion chamber - negligible, but true)

Cons - Single-electrode plugs
a) have less service life than multi-electrode plugs
b) may need to be re-gapped during service interval
c) if fouled greater chance of misfire - proportionate to X fewer grounds

Pros - Single-electrode plugs
a) significantly less ground-electrode material in the combustion chamber
b) do not shroud spark from the air/fuel mixture - better burn

Denso & the MCS
Denso plugs have a few advantages:
a) require less power to function - tiny center electrode, iridium/conductivity
b) afford spark outstanding exposure to a/f – better combustion
c) less material to retain heat than most plugs including the OEM (see a)

IMO the real question is not "do Denso's add power", but Do multiple ground-electrode plugs (like the OEM) rob power?

I have yet to see any scientific data, which suggests that multiple-ground plugs function as well as, let alone more efficient than single-ground plugs. I don't believe such data exists.

The value of introducing 3 completely unnecessary square-edged bits of metal into an already hot combustion chamber is questionable... Certainly redundancy does afford greater sparkplug reliability, BUT it’s a compromise. Less efficient (burn/fuel economy/power potential) traded for consistent performance/extended service interval. Choose based on your priorities.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM
tennis_man
3rd Gear
For the gap size, I based my decision of .039 on some posts in a thread titled Denso IK22 question. Here are a couple of the posts from there:

Post #8
Denso plugs do come pregrapped (http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php). Although you can reset the gap, most people I have talked to have stated to keep it the same. You should change the gap if you have upgraded your ignition system to a system such as Pilos.

Post #13
Most people seem to be setting them between .035-.045. With the odd .065-.08 (to me that seems too big). Mine are at .040. I tried them at .035, but I think the motor feels a little more "tuned" at .040. Also the after market plugs with specs for the mini that I have seen are recomending .044.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Soul Coughing
5th Gear
Received 154 Likes on 118 Posts
ok so i just ordered some IK22's and theyll be here sometime next week. I might as well purchase a torque wrench as i still havent gotten one yet. What is the recommended torque for the spark plugs? and i presume any place you get these plugs will all be set to the same gap? But around .040 is preferable?

PS where would i go about finding a gap maker thingy-do-dad? i might as well have all the stuff to do it right from now on

Old 12-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
PS where would i go about finding a gap maker thingy-do-dad? i might as well have all the stuff to do it right from now on
Any local auto parts store should have gap tools available.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Don't worry about the gap. It is fine out of the box. Torque 18-20 ft.lbs.

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing
ok so i just ordered some IK22's and theyll be here sometime next week. I might as well purchase a torque wrench as i still havent gotten one yet. What is the recommended torque for the spark plugs? and i presume any place you get these plugs will all be set to the same gap? But around .040 is preferable?

Old 12-15-2005, 06:12 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Be careful here!

The much smaller electrode should have a larger gap than a standard plug. Has to do with field gradients and the like. Also, the Pilo Coil-Pak is a bit over 10% higher voltage, so larger gap as well. I'd worry about narrowing the gap, as the spark current will go up a lot....

Matt

Old 12-15-2005, 06:49 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
?? pilo Or MSD ??

do u run a hopped up ignition system?
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The much smaller electrode should have a larger gap than a standard plug. Has to do with field gradients and the like. Also, the Pilo Coil-Pak is a bit over 10% higher voltage, so larger gap as well. I'd worry about narrowing the gap, as the spark current will go up a lot....

Matt

Old 12-15-2005, 07:06 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I'm just running a Pilo Coil-Pak, upreved wires and a 15% pully.

Originally Posted by joker
do u run a hopped up ignition system?
Remember, denser charge needs a bit more spark, or can take a bit more spark....

Matt

Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
Petrich
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Iridium as previously posted

Ripsaw, Matt and others,

Have been following this thread with interest. People are asking the correct questions about the evolution in spark plug design reflected in the iridium electrode spark plugs. Earlier this year there was another thread on this topic. For further information check out this URL and see if it helps: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...208#post617208

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 12-15-2005, 09:21 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Ahhh, but are we

Originally Posted by Petrich
People are asking the correct questions about the evolution in spark plug design reflected in the iridium electrode spark plugs.
giving the right answers!

now that I have a G-Tech, I'm thinking of doing some measurements to see what's up. But it takes a while....

Matt

Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
The Old One: 4 electrode plugs = 4 X potential hot-spots that will cause detonation.

Increasing boost, increases detonation potential. Removing hot-spots then becomes mandatory at some point.

This alone was enough motivation for me to go with single electrode plugs. I would gladly sacrifice a couple HP in exchange for a margin of safety.

Old 12-16-2005, 08:59 AM
minimc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
The Old One: 4 electrode plugs = 4 X potential hot-spots that will cause detonation.

Increasing boost, increases detonation potential. Removing hot-spots then becomes mandatory at some point.

This alone was enough motivation for me to go with single electrode plugs. I would gladly sacrifice a couple HP in exchange for a margin of safety.
Who said anything about giving up power by using single electrode plugs?
Single electrode plugs are win win, in that they afford safety & increase power potential. It’s the multi-electrode plugs, which "sacrifice a couple HP".

With single electrode plugs there’s better power/efficiency potential… fit more a/f in the chamber, realize a more complete burn (due to better exposure/flow) & less need for the ECU to lower the A/F ratio. It’s all gain.

TOO's comments reference AIT's increasing along with boost... That this effectively increases compression/lowers the fuel octane. The concern of 3 additional square-edged bits of super-heated metal tends more to pre-ignition...Electrodes acting as a glow-plug while cylinder pressure is at its lowest/piston near BDC.

Old 12-16-2005, 09:32 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Precisely! Well said, thank you!

Didn't mean to imply there is power loss with either... just that I believe it makes more sense to do anything that will reduce pre-ignition possibilities.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
keep us posted!!

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
giving the right answers!

now that I have a G-Tech, I'm thinking of doing some measurements to see what's up. But it takes a while....

Matt

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Denso iridium spark plugs