Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 05 pepper white MCS modification project

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 01:47 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 390 Likes on 357 Posts
the rain is a comin'

The rain is coming and we seized a dry day to get Desire ready for track again. She is rewarded with a set of brand new sticky donuts. Perfected the steering tie rod end adjustment on the side that I replaced. Back on is a set of brand new ST-45 racing pads too. More about the down side of the ST-47 to come.

I also took the opportunity to see what the MINI dealer did on the power steering recall. Indeed they replaced the fan and the hydraulic pump.

shiny new pump

the new fan is supposed to have improved debris guard; I need to dig out an old photo to compare

Desire is all ready for track duty and she is thrilled.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 AM
pnwR53S
a street car named Desire

she is on the street in a nice autumn day, all dressed up with track outfit

We took a test drive after adjusting the right side tie rod end that was recently replaced (which turned out there is nothing wrong with the original one). We are too cheap to pay for an alignment so we just adjust it by guesstimate. Based on the circa 15-degree that the steering wheel offset to the left, we reckoned we just need to increase the right side tie rod length by 1/2 turn. We were spot on so no need to put Desire back up on the Quickjack again.

we left the Quickjack out just in case we needed to adjust the tie rod end again; it was all well as the guesstimate adjustment was perfect

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-03-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:41 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,203 Likes on 936 Posts
Watch for tire wear that might indicate too much toe-in. A half a turn is quite a bit for toe.

Last edited by Eddie07S; 10-03-2019 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 10-03-2019, 08:48 AM
pnwR53S
With her trashing a set of tire within 500 miles, off alignment wear is hardly a concern. Half a turn changes very little in toe. More for just something that bothers me for not having a perfectly center steering wheel. To this day, Desire has never visited an alignment shop.

Based on the relative location of the tie rod's thread pitch and the end pivot at the steering knuckle you can estimate the amount of toe change per turn.

Oh, those Toyo R888R makes for lousy street tires. They are so loud even new. They will get quieter as they approach slicks.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts
I don't want to scroll through all 87 pages, and didn't find anything on search, but thought I remembered you running a Bluetooth OBDII scanner. Are you? If so, which one? Any thoughts/suggestions/lessons learned?

Old 10-06-2019, 04:49 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
what was the downside of ST47? I noticed my rotor wear was odd, wore the center more than the edges, but these are very cheap rotors with little mass.

do you check your toe with a toe plate? 1/2 turn on my car is significant toe change. I mark one of the tie rod faces and typically count those as my adjustments, I thought 1/2 turn was around 1/4" change, I struggle to get mine right at 0 total toe both ends. I use smart strings when I have time, and toe plates if all I need to do is a quick check. I used to have a excel calculator that converted the bmw rack nut faces on the tie rod into degrees but damned if I can find it now.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:21 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
I made a set of toe plates and couldn’t get them to work. My measurements were off compared to a professional alignment. I checked and rechecked what I was doing. In frustration I set the plates aside to collect dust in the garage. I found out later, when I was doing some measurements for some metal work and nothing I cut was fitting right, that the HF tape measure I had bought was wrong compared to my other tape measures... I was using 2 different tape measures for the metal work, one to do the measure for length and the other the measure for the cut. I would have never found out that the HF one was off if I had only used it for both measurements. I also found that the HF right angle squares I bought were not square. With HF, sometimes you win and sometimes you loose...

Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
I have a pair of tape measures that are kept with the plates and off limits to everyone. With the smart strings you only need one, its nice as you can square up the whole car, with toe plates you run the risk of crab walking or dog legging

Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 AM
pnwR53S
bike for younger green, well heeled first time buyers

Harley's plan to revive sales.

"The problem lies mostly with this “super-premium” product’s price. The bike costs nearly as much as a Tesla Model 3, and aims for a market that does not really exist: young, “green” and affluent first-time motorcyclists."

So they can't drive manual cars nor they want gears or clutch. Such thing exists for a long time, It is called gulf cart.

"When Chief Executive Officer Matt Levatich announced LiveWire’s launch last year, his hope was the ease of riding motorcycles with no gears or clutch would help attract young and environmentally conscious urban riders."

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-07-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:18 PM
pnwR53S
trophy for Desire

Desire won a trophy. It is her first TT. I drove her panties off this weekend. The Red Baron also won a trophy. We had a gorgeous weekend out in Central Oregon high plains.

besides the organizers we were the first to arrive

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-07-2019 at 04:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Husky44 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 03:39 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by MrBlah
what was the downside of ST47? I noticed my rotor wear was odd, wore the center more than the edges, but these are very cheap rotors with little mass.
I would not believe it if someone tells me. I have first hand experience with the difference between ST-45 and ST-47. I cannot discern the supposed higher grip of the ST-47 if any. I find ST-45 never short of bite if I need it, but always the tires lose the friction war. With most of this season driving with ST-45 the $35 Wilwood rotors didn't develop crazing until I was forced to stop on the track because of loose front lug bolts. But that were only the areas under the pads and only just a little.

Here is the same rotor after using the ST-47 for only half a day. Crazing on the entire surface, and there are two fracture lines at the inner tabs. I have no temperature measurements, but these empirical evidence suggest ST-47 causes very high rotor temperature compared to ST-45. I have not yet feel the need for more brake pad bite with the ST-45. They are very easy for themselves as well as the rotors. I suspect you are not seeing this because you have brake ducts. Performance wise I found both pads very similar especially in how they modulate.

I drove with these rotors this weekend and were extremely unease.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:06 PM
pnwR53S
tie rod end adjustment

I need to clarify why I adjust 1/2 turn on the right side tie rod end length. I recently replaced it in diagnosing the subtle low speed clunk of the suspension. It turned out I barked up the wrong tree in this elusive nuisance.

Being a cheap skate and lazy I was methodical in how I approach the tie rod end change. I want the minimal work and want to avoid having to check alignment after the replacement. For setting the length of the new tie rod I counted the number of turns of the screw threads, and set the new rod to as close as I could. I expect it won't match exactly but would bring me close enough. The steering wheel would show any amount of deviation, so all I have to do is be patient and wait for the next time going shopping.

On the freeway I noted the nominal angle that the steering wheel is off and to which direction. That give me some idea how much the new tie rod length is off WRT the old one, which I did an DIY alignment on. So if I return the steering wheel to perfect center I know that I restore the toe back to before the tie rod end change.

BTW, unlike a turn buckle the Mini's tie rods only have threads on one end, so there is no 2x factor on the thread pitch.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 AM
pnwR53S
a fair CNBC piece on MINI

I rarely impressed by CNBC, especially on their finance and investment shows. I came across this video this morning and am quite impressed with the accurate and complete historic chronicles of Mini, from the early development to today. I will never own a Mini other than the modern Gen 1 or a classic. However I appreciate that BMW is doing to develop the brand, and they get bigger and dumber is not the faults of the company, but a result of the need to adapt to the ever changing time.

Alan (10-08-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 PM
jcolletteiii
6th Gear
Received 483 Likes on 340 Posts
I think the loss in market share is due to several factors - saturation of the market segment, the gutting of the original Mini ethos, and progressively droll design as they've gone forward. Mini was exciting because of it's novelty, it's great looks, the fantastic and creative marketing, performance and packaging, and thumbing it's nose at the SUV. Instead of further developing these brand ideals, they made an SUV. I think that has driven away a substantial percentage of original Mini owners. Certainly, at least, this one. I love my G1 car - will never buy a new Mini, probably ever again, nor a used Mini of any newer generation - they just don't have the mojo. I say probably, because I may be interested in what an e- or fuel cell Mini might do down the road.

Good piece otherwise.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:14 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
As an owner of a MINI from each of the generations, I have come to understand the differences and similarities of each. Each has its pluses and minuses. Overall, I would say MINI has done quite a good job of maintaining the concept of the reintroduced MINI. And I like the idea that they have branched out with variation of the brand; it connects with a wider market. And now, with the introduction of the 300+ Hp Clubman, with a 0-62 mph time of under 5 sec, it is headed into another new market.

I am on a thread that is pretty much bashing the Gen 3 MIINIs, but there are several of us who are bestowing the virtues of the Gen 3 MINI on the rest of that discussion. There is a misconception that the MINI has grown “huge” since its re-introduction. Compared to the Gen 1, the Gen 2 is 2 inches longer and the same weight and that 2” was to meet crash regulations. The Gen 3 may be 10” longer but the wheel base is the same as pervious generations. That length is, again, to meet regulations. Yes, the weight of the Gen 3 has gone up, but it is only just over 100#. Power has gone up accordingly, but so has gas mileage. On the highway, our Gen 1 base Cooper with the CVT gets only about 30 mpg. My Gen 2 Cooper S with about 50% more power gets 35-ish and my Gen 3 JCW, with about 2x the Hp of the Gen 1 Cooper, gets about the same as the S. So, I take exception to the comment in the video that MINI is moving away from the fuel efficient cars that made up the Gen 1s. As for fit, finish and quality of the ride, I’ll take the Gen 3 over the previous 2 gens. Much better. The seats in the JCW are a huge improvement over any of the previous offerings. Even with the relatively stiff JCW suspension and RFTs, the ride is as good, and in some respects, better than our Base Cooper with KONI FSD shocks. The JCW is my wife’s 1st choice of MINIs to ride in.

Styling wise, that is a crap shoot... Each to their own on that one. There are things I like about each and things that I don’t like. Overall, I find each appealing.

I know, each to their own on this one. But I do remember when the 3 series BMW replaced the 2002. There was a huge uproar. However, the E30 M3 has become iconic. Having owned a 2002, which I liked, I am much happier with the MINIs. Progress has it benefits.

jcolletteiii (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 11:19 PM
pnwR53S
braking bad

Here are a few photos that shows what two days of time trial at The Brown Hell (ORP) can do to the consumables. Thanks to running with Raybestos ST-47 front pads for half a day in the previous event the front rotors are just scary after two more days with a set of ST-45. I started the event with a set of brand new ST-45. The set of Toyo R888R tires were also brand new before the event. Desire clocked 257 miles in total.

These photos were taken in the post track event inspection and I swap in the street pads and wheels.

the rear rotors are fine and no abnormal wear or signs of excess temperature

the Hawk HPS+ pads also worn as expected; I got these set of barely used pads for a song

both front rotors are badly cracked - breaking bad

the right rear pads and rotor also look fine

the crack lines are worst on the right front rotor as we drove CCW both days

you can see the cracks are right through the casted disc plate

here are the four tires after just 257 miles; I cross rotated them after the first day and that made them worn so evenly; spread the pain well I did

As the set of budget non-directional Wilwood front rotors lasted longer than even the ones that cost 3x more I order a new set to save my set of directional ones for next track season. For indefinitely future, I am sticking with ST-45 for the front pads as they proved to be the most durable and easiest on the rotors for track abuse.

here is the right front ST-45 pads; they worn quite evenly and more worn on the outside since it ran hotter; the right front is the worst side as we drove CCW

Desire took some serious track abuse but she liked every second of it. She is crazy!

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-10-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:07 PM
pnwR53S
a late season track event at ORP

Here are some photos from the past weekend at ORP. We drove two days in two different events and had a great time. Desire held together despite the loose supercharger outlet air flange that I was unable to properly torque down. Partaking these track events were a calculated risk. I was quite confident that the bolts would hold for two day of pedal to the metal driving.

rain in the Gorge west side of the Cascades; we knew as soon as we arrive to the East side of the mountain range all will be well

we pulled off at Celilo Park to make lunch since we have plenty of time; this was where the mothership broke down in the last track event

we made a slow food lunch in the Oregon trail; I cook outside if it involves frying with oil

back on the road and the weather gets better the farther East we went

pulling hills on the state highway to ORP (aka the Brown Hell)

we arrive very early to camp overnight for the next day's time trial organized by Team Continental

we made fresh pasta for dinner

Old 10-11-2019, 10:22 PM
pnwR53S
a late season track event at ORP, continues

if you have a rig like this, you know you are head over heels into the deep end of the hobby

these Team Continental guys and girls are serious people; many are from all over the Pacific NW here just for one day

tons of room in this early Rabbit Gulf

a precious Honda 50cc very collectable

trophies award at the end of the first day

Old 10-11-2019, 10:43 PM
pnwR53S

These photos are from the second day. There were about 12 cars in total and including Desire and her mortal frenemy the Red Baron.

there were much less cars and drivers on the second day

Desire had an excellent early session engaged in dog fight against the Red Baron and the turn workers were entertained; we were within fractions of a second lap after lap

we had two ground pounders that were the highlights of the day

they are not ex-NASCARs but built from the ground up money-no-object race cars

needs a very good filter to keep the big lung filled

this is his first day driving this car and first day at ORP

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-11-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:52 PM
pnwR53S

Everyone were entertained watching these two ground pounders on track. The white one hit 130+ mph half way on the front straight. Awsome!

a very fast Evo owned by a local tune shop

Desire mothership had a tire blow out while crossing the Interstate bridge; the cause was a crap Chinese valve stem installed by Discount Tires

we were stranded for 2 hours waiting for road side assistance as we couldn't get the wheel off the hub without a sludge hammer; eventually we used the weight of the motorhome and propulsion to break it free without the need for help to arrive

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-11-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:47 AM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Great pictures once again.

Those ground pounders look to be SCCA T/A cars. Well thought out race cars, they are. If I had the means to do it (place to store it, trailer, truck, etc) I would buy the stock car race truck I once drove.

I lost 3 valve stems in one day on my track wheels. Not sure if they were “cheap”, but they were rubber and didn’t stand up to the heat and whatever. Glad you made out well with the mothership.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by Eddie07S
Great pictures once again.

Those ground pounders look to be SCCA T/A cars. Well thought out race cars, they are.
I had no idea until I went back to check the photo and see what you meant. You are spot on that these are T/A cars built to race in GT-1 class:

GT-1 says right on the door; I enjoy looking at the detail designs and implementations of these cars; they are far from red-neck stock cars some of us incline to think

Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM
pnwR53S
fokking mini

Desire would do anything to eke out another track day. Yep! She wants to be a dedicated track car so bad that a loose supercharger outlet hone ain't going to stop her going to the track this past weekend. We took a calculated risk estimate that the bolts would hold for a couple days of intense driving. She is back to civil street duties now for the season.

We went shopping across town today. On the way the EML and SES light both illuminated. This is exactly what happen before the SC started to scream at the track in September. No scream yet but I need to pop the bonnet to tighten the bolts again. We would wait until we are ready to install the OS Giken racing clutch to address the issue properly.

The ECU detected the vacuum leak, no doubt. I am actually quite impressed with how smart the codes are. There is absolute no hint of drivability issue.

both SES and EML indicator illuminate indicating there is a vacuum leak

Desire in her street wheels and pads looking pretty

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:26 AM
pnwR53S
die tote stadt

Desire is grounded from the track until next season. With the advance of winter she is singing the Marietta blue. So melodramatic.

To ease her dead city blue I gave her a deep cleaning yesterday taking advantage of the mild autumn day here. The biggest challenge was what to do with all the track rubber inflicted painted surfaces, especially on the two sides. You see, she was sporting 15" x 8" wheels and invariably the tires extended 3/4" beyond the fender.

being a white trash the trashy grime does not show up well in photos

after a couple hours of deep cleaning she is nearly as good as new

So the challenge for me is, in Desire's bipolar personality, which is the civil street car and which is the bad to the core track car?

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-14-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:18 PM
pnwR53S
cause of EML

Originally Posted by pnwR53S
The ECU detected the vacuum leak, no doubt. I am actually quite impressed with how smart the codes are. There is absolute no hint of drivability issue.

both SES and EML indicator illuminate indicating there is a vacuum leak
So it turned out the cause for the EML and SES indicators were not due to the supercharger outlet flange bolts worked loose being pounded on at the track for two days. I just didn't tighten the fuel cap after fueling from the racing containers. You see, here in Oregon it is illegal to pump your own fuel. Our state wants to keep the professional petroleum transfer engineers gainfully employed. Because of it, I rarely handle the technical and dangerous task of messing with the gas cap. Some small progress we have made but some Oregonians are petrified. And since I failed miserably in the professional task of refueling, I should not complain.

Last edited by pnwR53S; 10-15-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain 05 pepper white MCS modification project