Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain 0-30mph power question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017 | 11:32 AM
Vegasguy
|
2nd Gear
0-30mph power question

hi all, i just got a 2011 mccs auto-trans a month ago and i love it “but” i live on a dead end street where everytime i leave my house i have to turn onto a 50mph road with one side being almost a blind corner.

although i know its not a v8 or supercharged and never will, what would be the best mods, in you guys opinions to get me up to speed quick when im taking off out of my neighborhood on that blind corner. Right now i feel like im going to get run over everytime i pull out.

The car is all stock right now with the exception of a sprint booster (set to race #9) and i just bought a jb+ on here from a member that hasnt come in yet.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I love the car but im just really used to supercharged mustangs so it could be i just dont know how to drive a turbo 4 cylinder lol. But again it is an auto tranny also.

Old 11-26-2017 | 01:47 PM
4mikebruns
Don't knock the auto

I have a 2014 Clubman S Auto. Manic Stage 2 tune, intake, Intercooler, downpipe and a custom cat back. I run a 13.5 @102-103 1/4 mile pretty consistently. I've beat stock Focus RS's, STI's, stage 2 MK6 GTI...ect..
The JB+ will give you a decent bump in power but nothing like what Manic tunes give you. Even Manic Stage 1 would pull harder than a JB+. I guess its all about how much power you want though. My YouTube channel has a few examples of how my car runs.

https://youtu.be/q1xYtLlDsz8

Old 11-26-2017 | 03:08 PM
Vegasguy
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 4mikebruns
Don't knock the auto

I have a 2014 Clubman S Auto. Manic Stage 2 tune, intake, Intercooler, downpipe and a custom cat back. I run a 13.5 @102-103 1/4 mile pretty consistently. I've beat stock Focus RS's, STI's, stage 2 MK6 GTI...ect..
The JB+ will give you a decent bump in power but nothing like what Manic tunes give you. Even Manic Stage 1 would pull harder than a JB+. I guess its all about how much power you want though. My YouTube channel has a few examples of how my car runs.

https://youtu.be/q1xYtLlDsz8
hey thx mike, i have been wondering about it being an auto (im used to “getting bashed” for having an auto on a cobra lol).

So you would say a maniac stage 1 would make it pull harder off the line? Cause for pulling into traffic that’s really what i need, im pretty ok with how it does once im up to speed...its the getting there that im pretty disappointed in.

Old 11-26-2017 | 03:32 PM
4mikebruns
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
hey thx mike, i have been wondering about it being an auto (im used to “getting bashed” for having an auto on a cobra lol).

So you would say a maniac stage 1 would make it pull harder off the line? Cause for pulling into traffic that’s really what i need, im pretty ok with how it does once im up to speed...its the getting there that im pretty disappointed in.
You might find the JB+ does what youre looking for just fine but a Manic tune will change more than just target boost like the JB+ does. My AFR was iffy on the JB+ but its spot on with the Manic Tune. My car lights 1st gear up and chirps into 2nd. From a roll I can't still spin in 2nd gear when mashing the throttle.

Old 11-26-2017 | 05:48 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
In my Auto R56, when I was running Manic Stage 2, I could chirp the tires in every gear...plenty of power in the low end with Manic.

(Major power in the low end with my custom tune, too...)

Old 11-26-2017 | 07:25 PM
Vegasguy
|
2nd Gear
Keith was that with the motor you have in your sig line? Cause that motor sounds far from stock (ie what i have), i was hoping to get the low end power i wanted for less than $2,000. Im guessing you have more than that just in your turbo lol

Old 11-26-2017 | 07:29 PM
4mikebruns
Originally Posted by Vegasguy
Keith was that with the motor you have in your sig line? Cause that motor sounds far from stock (ie what i have), i was hoping to get the low end power i wanted for less than $2,000. Im guessing you have more than that just in your turbo lol
I would contact Mario aka MarioKart. You can discuss getting a Manic tune with him. You can easily go Stage 2 for under $2k. Drop in filter, eBay intercooler, downpipe and the Tune even with the SPS switch. Oh and colder spark plugs. Depending on where you live you can go catless downpipe, which are cheaper than a 200cel high flow catted DP. You could come in as little as $1300ish full bolt ones minus a cat back to run stage 2.

Old 11-26-2017 | 07:35 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
From what you're asking for a tune will be the ideal thing. I've never really liked the JB as it just doesn't give you the bang. The biggest thing with the tune that you will like having an automatic is how the shifting is improved and crisp vs what you have now. Along with improving the throttle response it will really get it when you turn on that road. A stage 1 will be just fine for you and you can continue adding mods with it since you don't have any yet. We do a 24hr turn around from the time we get the ECU so you can get back on the road quick.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/perfor...-cooper-s.html