Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Frontmount

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 12:10 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frontmount

Is there anybody with a MCS that has a FrontMount Intercooler on it, If so what is the feed back. Because I was looking at it earlier today and am now thinking about it because i plan on twincharging my MCS within the next few months and was jus wondering if anybody had it on theirs and how good it works?

Old 11-15-2004, 12:20 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
Which model are you looking at? The only one I'm aware of is the WebbMotorsports unit:

http://www.webbmotorsports.com/performance.php

Looks pretty nice, but it's expensive.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:30 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
That is the model I was looking at. IT is nice, and exspensive but I gotta have my toys .

Old 11-15-2004, 12:45 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In talking with Randy Webb, I got from him that the carbon fiber 'runner' on this unit needs to be re-thought out. CF is just too rigid and has no flex. What is happening is that the natural movement of the motor and the fact that the intercooler is bolted down, the CF is cracking under the stress of this flexing. Randy is looking into other material for this runner, i.e. aluminum.

I am guessing that this might be the same reason that the M7 CAI is not out yet. A material that needs to be looked at here is Kevlar. Very strong but much more flexible.

Old 11-15-2004, 06:43 PM
jlm
6th Gear
another factor is that the late '04 and newer rigs changed the pass side motor mount (they ditched the torque link that tends to restrict fore-aft rocking of the engine). Couple that with the longer lever arm between the snoots and the FM intercooler and I can see a potential problem.

you also have the pressure pulses that flex flat surfaces (as opposed to rounder tubes)

Old 11-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by onasled
. CF is just too rigid and has no flex. .... Randy is looking into other material for this runner, i.e. aluminum.
Because aluminum has more flex the CF? i would think i needs to have some rubber flex points.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:43 AM
enzothemaddog
Banned
Originally Posted by onasled
In talking with Randy Webb, I got from him that the carbon fiber 'runner' on this unit needs to be re-thought out. CF is just too rigid and has no flex. What is happening is that the natural movement of the motor and the fact that the intercooler is bolted down, the CF is cracking under the stress of this flexing. Randy is looking into other material for this runner, i.e. aluminum.

I am guessing that this might be the same reason that the M7 CAI is not out yet. A material that needs to be looked at here is Kevlar. Very strong but much more flexible.
Kevlar does'nt give much different flex from CF. Slightly larger weave but same strength. Not as strong or heat resistent though.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:51 PM
theworks
1st Gear
Originally Posted by enzothemaddog
Kevlar does'nt give much different flex from CF. Slightly larger weave but same strength. Not as strong or heat resistent though.
This is off the subject, Enzothemaddog, can you still get the carbon fiber interior part for the cooper s ? Can you please reply and/or tell me where to go on the forum to find out. thanks. mark