Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Let's Dispel the Myths!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
rafthos
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by syntrix
I for one, would like to see these dyno plots.

I could say that I have gained 50hp with a secret magnet on the fuel line. But we all know that's silly
So was your silly magnet oriented n/s or s/n in relation to the fuel flow in the line, how powerful of a magnet did you use, and did you insulate your butt dyno against magnetic interference when testing?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:39 PM
jlm
6th Gear
I've had a piggy in my car for over a year with no problems. My hatch latch and driver's window are fu though, and I had to replace a fan/relay. so much for the factory wiring setup.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 AM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Ok, here's a shout out to all the newbies, whether literally, or technically. There are a few points you NEED to know before diving in and posting and causing gearheads like me to pull their hair out (even though I have a shaved head, so it gets painful up there!)

Just because there is a new model year does NOT mean there are any changes to the vehicle specification. Take notes:

Here is the breakdown in [edited] supercharger pulley ratios, crank pulley is 5.460":
Guess what? These ratios apply for EVERY model year to date! Simple!

Next: you're wondering: "woah, how does the 2005 MCS and JCW have a whopping 7 advertised horsepower more?" Answer: ECU programming. Yes yes yes, the stock MCS exhaust is different, but look at the deltas, 7HP more base and JCW, and the JCW cat-back is the same as previous years, and the whole system delta is still identical. Hence, the base MCS cat-back just sounds different to earlier years. Myth Busted!

Next: please, for my scalps sake, use the SEARCH function! There's nothing more annoying than reading 3 essentially identical threads regarding a freak-out thread whether getting the tried-tested-and-true 15% pulley is "safe" . Hopefully you get the idea.

I reserve the right to add addendums to this post
Cheers, Happy Searching old threads....then reading them.....then asking your local Tuner if you have questions....then Motoring!
Love, your obsessive Moderator,
Ryan
It's easy to pontificate regarding the use of the Search function, but this forum has got the worst search engine I have ever seen. Hours of search through irrelevant threads before anything useful can be found. But then again, I'm just a dumb MINI driver who loses an additional 40 IQ points whenever I sit in the SPUD.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Myth buster times...

Ok I was looking at getting the alta CAI... but this dumb idea struck me...isnt it just sucking the hot air from around the engine? if so what would be the gain? More air? Or is it truely sucking air from the cowl which is ambient temp? If someone could explain it to me that would be great... even some crude (MSPaint) pictures would be helpful!

-Josh

Old 08-12-2005, 12:20 PM
betet
4th Gear
It might suck in hot air/cool air but that's why we have the intercooler to cool it..., but even then, it is able to suck in more air, which tells the DME to pump it more gas which means more power.. I think that's how it goes..

///Gilbert

Old 08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
See this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=25654

Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Myth buster times...

Ok I was looking at getting the alta CAI... but this dumb idea struck me...isnt it just sucking the hot air from around the engine? if so what would be the gain? More air? Or is it truely sucking air from the cowl which is ambient temp? If someone could explain it to me that would be great... even some crude (MSPaint) pictures would be helpful!

-Josh

Old 10-18-2005, 11:56 AM
chevyspy
1st Gear
Go easy my man, Upjohn stock is not the greatest any more.

Old 10-23-2005, 04:30 AM
hamann
3rd Gear
i was considering a unichip for my 05mcs thanks for the info andy i think ill just settle for stock:smile:

Old 12-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Brynster
Neutral
Originally Posted by RandyBMC
I hope this didn't lose anyone - but great info!! Andy you are a rock star genius :smile: .

What worries me is that folks don;t really know what percentages we are referring to. I even hear the pulley called a "15 degree" pulley from time to time, which furthers my concern for the average Joe getting lost in the facts.

The 15% we are referring to is the reduction in circumference of the supercharger pulley itself. The supercharger is driven by this pulley through the crankshaft pulley, so the smaller you go, the faster the supercharger spins.

The supercharger itself has a ratio to the pulley, making the effective spin up greater than the percentage reduction of the pulley - which is what jlm and andy have posted.

We spin the supercharger faster to do one or both of two things - compress the air or increase the volume. By increasing density, we are increasing the potential energy of the intake charge. Since d=p/t, compressing the air gives more pressure, increasing density (as long as we don't too hot).

Hope that helps!
Randy
"Small" - "Medium" - and "Large" works for me

Old 12-16-2005, 07:05 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's still a little confusing since the smaller the pulley, the bigger the gains. How about:

Goldilocks: 0% (stock)
Baby Bear: 15%
Mama Bear: 17%
Papa Bear: 19%

Originally Posted by Brynster
"Small" - "Medium" - and "Large" works for me

Old 12-16-2005, 08:01 AM
syntrix
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rafthos
So was your silly magnet oriented n/s or s/n in relation to the fuel flow in the line, how powerful of a magnet did you use, and did you insulate your butt dyno against magnetic interference when testing?
Yes to all of the above!!! But I can not release any of my findings yet! There is a trick to actually get more than 50, we have seen up to 78 mpg increase on our model airplane engine.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:33 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've heard the following a few times:
the gains aren't really bigger. The difference with the different sized pulleys is more about delivery. 19% pulley might give more boost, but exponentially increasing heat means that the density isn't much higher than density achieved with a 15% pulley. The 19% pulley gives early boost and an awesome midrange. I know someone that races his 15%-pullied MCS and people with 19% and 21% reductions aren't any faster in a straight line.....

what do you think andy?

Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
That's still a little confusing since the smaller the pulley, the bigger the gains. How about:

Goldilocks: 0% (stock)
Baby Bear: 15%
Mama Bear: 17%
Papa Bear: 19%

Old 02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
BLIZZ
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lhoboy
It's easy to pontificate regarding the use of the Search function, but this forum has got the worst search engine I have ever seen. Hours of search through irrelevant threads before anything useful can be found. But then again, I'm just a dumb MINI driver who loses an additional 40 IQ points whenever I sit in the SPUD.
I agree & add that once you do start to find some info related to what your looking for, You realize that your looking at outdated info!

Old 02-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Byron
2nd Gear
lets dispel the myths

You won;t notice much performance increase between pulleys until you put larger injectors in and ecu with the 19%

Old 02-19-2006, 08:29 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Byron
You won;t notice much performance increase between pulleys until you put larger injectors in and ecu with the 19%
I plan to put in JCW 380cc injectors as well, with my 15%.....the injectors should release equal benefits with all the pulleys though, cos as i said, most ppl think its all about how much boost there is. Density is wat we're looking for, and if we're, making too much heat, what's the point, cos heat works against pressure in the battle for more density.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:53 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by etalj
I plan to put in JCW 380cc injectors as well, with my 15%.....the injectors should release equal benefits with all the pulleys though, cos as i said, most ppl think its all about how much boost there is. Density is wat we're looking for, and if we're, making too much heat, what's the point, cos heat works against pressure in the battle for more density.
Luckily testing has shown that the 19% does not make too much heat!

Old 02-20-2006, 04:51 PM
etalj
6th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Luckily testing has shown that the 19% does not make too much heat!
ok so, even though Randy Webb and a few others have said that the 15% pulley makes more power, would you back a 17% over a 15% pulley'd MCS in a 1/4 mile run, or 0-60mph run, or top-speed run, due to the change in torque spread? (I really wish the companies would offer a torque/power graph for each of the three pullies)

Old 02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
ok so, even though Randy Webb and a few others have said that the 15% pulley makes more power, would you back a 17% over a 15% pulley'd MCS in a 1/4 mile run, or 0-60mph run, or top-speed run, due to the change in torque spread? (I really wish the companies would offer a torque/power graph for each of the three pullies)
15% makes more power than what? A 17% or 19%? Anyone that said that is out of their mind! A 17% makes more power (torque and horses) than a 15% and a 19% makes more power (torque and horses) than a 17%. Theoretically heat could be an issue, but testing has shown this is not the case. IMO, the 19% is the hands down winner for everyday use. And I've had both the 15% and 19% and had the 19% with and without an ECU upgrade. If you're only going to do one mod, get a 19% pulley. Sure a properly tuned ECU really makes it better but even with the stock ECU, a 19% pulley is still the best mod you can do for the "grin" factor.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:28 AM
etalj
6th Gear
15% makes more power than what? A 17% or 19%? Anyone that said that is out of their mind! A 17% makes more power (torque and horses) than a 15% and a 19% makes more power (torque and horses) than a 17%. Theoretically heat could be an issue, but testing has shown this is not the case. IMO, the 19% is the hands down winner for everyday use. And I've had both the 15% and 19% and had the 19% with and without an ECU upgrade. If you're only going to do one mod, get a 19% pulley. Sure a properly tuned ECU really makes it better but even with the stock ECU, a 19% pulley is still the best mod you can do for the "grin" factor.
I wanna be able to use my car on the track as well, and even on the street, i drive high up in the rev range often. This is why i don't want a 19%. I already have a few mods, so i only want either 15% or 17%. Do you think the 17% pulley will give a faster quarter-mile time than the 15% in that case?

FYI, http://store.webbmotorsports.com/ind...in_page=page_3 Apart from power concerns, he says its "50/50" on the belt snapping during track use? I wonder if this is true.......i wanna be able to track my car, and i don't want my belt to snap

Old 02-21-2006, 04:59 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
FYI, http://store.webbmotorsports.com/ind...in_page=page_3 Apart from power concerns, he says its "50/50" on the belt snapping during track use? I wonder if this is true.......i wanna be able to track my car, and i don't want my belt to snap
FYI, Randi isn't the only one who's done testing on these pullies. If you were going to track it 50% of the time, maybe you are better off especially if the extra power isn't that important to you. As for the power concerns, they are not true. Again, I've had both pullies - if the 19% really does generate a lot more heat then it must generate a lot more power/boost to overcompensate b/c it definitely does. Also from the numbers I've seen, the 19% makes considerably more boost and at lower RPMs with only minimal heat increases. That's why for me, the 19% seems like the ideal pulley size. And while we're at it, the 19% is really more than 19%. It's practically 20%. It's just called 19 so people don't freak out.

Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 AM
etalj
6th Gear
FYI, Randi isn't the only one who's done testing on these pullies. If you were going to track it 50% of the time, maybe you are better off especially if the extra power isn't that important to you. As for the power concerns, they are not true. Again, I've had both pullies - if the 19% really does generate a lot more heat then it must generate a lot more power/boost to overcompensate b/c it definitely does. Also from the numbers I've seen, the 19% makes considerably more boost and at lower RPMs with only minimal heat increases. That's why for me, the 19% seems like the ideal pulley size. And while we're at it, the 19% is really more than 19%. It's practically 20%. It's just called 19 so people don't freak out.
yeh i know 19.8% isn't it? But yeh the power is important to me, but do you think the 17% pulley will be prone to early belt wear/snap ? i.e. is it safe for track use? Cos of course GT Tuning use a 17% pulley, and they don't snap anymore than the 15%-pullied cars' belts, even though they claim that its down to the idler pulley they include, (i'm not so sure)....

Old 08-08-2006, 03:45 AM
jlm
6th Gear
for your entertainent, a blast from the past

Old 08-08-2006, 07:11 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Let's dispel the myth that the cowl area is under negative pressure

Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 AM
etalj
6th Gear
lets dispel the myth that red is the fastest colour, ok? It's not. Black is the fastest.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Black IS the FASTEST!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Let's Dispel the Myths!