Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Handheld Tuning comes to the N18

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 06:01 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by R56eks
On a separate note, does Prototype-R sell just wastegate actuators? Long story short I had to use my original one on my JMTC turbo and its starting to fail
Hi R56eks,
Normally we don't keep any as most X45 or X50 clients retain the factory wastegate. If they do choose the IWG75 for use with a standalone boost controller we ship the BW actuator to them with the new turbo. I do however have one that was lightly used for development purposes. It was one that was dinged in shipping so not something we could put on a clients turbo. Its still fully functional though so If you're interested shoot me an email and I can send you pics. It's better off plastering a smile all over someones face rather than floating around the shop. Cover shipping and we're good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lou@Prototype-R:
blue al (05-28-2020), squawSkiBum (05-28-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 09:14 AM
RChandler
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the website this tuner ended up not being stable for the N18, what a shame but not too unexpected.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:33 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RChandler
According to the website this tuner ended up not being stable for the N18, what a shame but not too unexpected.
What website and how come the tunner is not stable?

Old 11-11-2020, 09:48 AM
RChandler
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
Post #1 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4493352) that this thread is about (unless i got lost which could have happened), the Stage X handheld tuner @ https://prototype-r.com/tuning/shop

I have been excited to get a Mario RPM Tune but was just checking into Launch Control and came across this, got super excited after reading it, scrolled back up to the top, went to the website.... Read the product description and kind of bummed, but not really since it didn't have launch control and Mario has such rave reviews, just didn't want anyone else getting their hopes up after a search.

""""" IMPORTANT UPDATE: Due to recent changes the Stage X handheld is not stable with the N18. Please see our Flash Software product for the N18 as well as the F & G Series made from 2019 and on.""""""

Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,846 Likes on 1,472 Posts
I had a PM conversation with Lou recently, and he recommended this product for remote N18 tuning, along with a software package from him:
https://www.tactrix.com/index.php?op...ed=1&Itemid=53

Old 11-11-2020, 01:37 PM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
From what I remember reading on his site, the company that makes the handheld device put out an update and made it not able to work on the N18.

Last edited by NeonLed; 11-11-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:54 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
It is unfortunate that the Stage X handheld which is based on the Powergate 3+ could not be made to work properly with the N18. Alientech altered the way in which their driver calculates checksums. The new driver removed the ability to make changes in the lower map areas. Some of these maps alter torque monitoring functions or how the transmission responds to the increased torque loads. Without the ability to alter this area of memory you can't make much more than a Stage 1 tune, and in my opinion not a very good one at that. Further research found that these maps don't even appear in Alientechs own tuning software. Hmm... funny that. We even went so far as to send them examples of where their calculations were off. After roughly 100 messages back and forth their final answer was that they had no plans to address the problem.

This left us in a bit of a pickle. No one wants to have to remove their ECU and send it out leaving them without a vehicle. So for the N18 and N18 JCW we now use the cable njaremka noted above. The cable works with software we can provide that allows the client to load the tunes from their laptop. This in conjunction with the data logging software we provide allows full customization, and gives the client the ability to switch tunes. In addition we now have the ability to switch performance modes with the sport button. Normal mode on a Stage 1 can be set to 1.0 or 1.1bar while sport mode provides 1.3 bar of boost. A Stage 2 could be set to 1.3 bar for normal and 1.5 bar for sport.

The following 4 users liked this post by Lou@Prototype-R:
njaremka (11-11-2020), RChandler (11-11-2020), scotty_r56s (11-19-2020), yargk (04-23-2021)
Old 12-26-2020, 10:28 AM
veelangs
2nd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey lou, thanks for the detailed thread. I got into an N18 R55S over the summer and have been loving it and slowly upgrading it (aem cai, kn street, stoptech big brake fronts, front and rear nm sways) and an nm power module

been much more interested in the handling and stopping aspects of the car than the power, but now i’m starting to look into the power aspects. I was intrigued by the stage x, but if it doesn’t work then it doesn’t work. I had made my mind up on a manic tune and switching module but as they are no longer around I feel less and less comfortable with them.

As I start going down the power route now, my main goals aren’t all out horsepower but the “butt dyno” as it’s still my daily. Mainly interested in exhaust and the ability to have those extreme pops and bangs.

I’ve been looking at a forge intercooler, turbo piping and a downpipe

my two questions to you are, 1) would one of your stage 2 tunes achieve my goals? and 2) If I wanted to ensure inspection pass (NYS) would you recommend a catless or catted downpipe?

Cheers and look forward to your reply!

Old 12-26-2020, 02:17 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Hi veelangs,

Sounds like you've picked good choices for mods so far. Yes our Stage 2 now includes throttle and/or pop and burble changes at standard Stage 2 price. The Plus level tunes are for race fuel and meth injection. PM sent. Feel free to email me at lou@prototype-r.com and we can discuss options.

Old 01-21-2021, 11:03 AM
checkM3te
1st Gear
Bump for a great tune and a great guy!

Lou just finished up doing a remote stage 1 tune on my 2013 MCS and I couldn't be happier. We went the remote tuning route with the Tactix cable and it worked out just great, if not better than any in person tune or handheld solution.

Like many, I was coming from a Burger JB+ piggyback with all the supporting engine mods (NGK 1422 plugs, Forge clone intercooler, AFG intake, 2.5" DP back custom exhaust, updated non rubber diverter valve, WMW turbo blanket, catch can) and the difference is night and day. Similar to getting tuned at a performance shop with a dyno, your end product is the result of Lou fine tweaking the tune to how your particular car runs based off of data logging. Lou sent me an initial tune, connected with me remotely on my laptop and installed it via Tactix cable. I then took the car out with his datalogging software, K+DCAN cable and laptop to log engine performance at WOT to see what needed to be tweaked. We reflashed the ECU several times with tweaked variations of the tune until we were both satisfied with the datalog results and sound level of the pop & burble. I daily my car, so I wanted no noise in non sport mode and aggressive pop & burble in sport. I would say the sport mode noise presence is now about 2x the volume and frequency over stock. Lou also increased my rev limiter to 6800 rpms to take maximum advantage of power gains, a welcome addition. It's safe to say that when we finished, we achieved the performance and sound I had been striving for with my MCS.

I highly suggest anyone contemplating getting a tune to seriously consider Lou and Prototype-R. His level of service, platform knowledge and end product quality are some of the best in the business. Even post tune, Lou has made sure to check in to see how the car has been handling and answer a few questions I had in regards to swapping out my stock downpipe to a catless/high flow with state emissions. Just an all around great experience from start to finish!

Last edited by checkM3te; 01-22-2021 at 07:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
njaremka (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 11:56 PM
Staxtis
3rd Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
How i forgot to mention Lou too.? @Lou@Prototype-R
Maybe because we keep changing files and going better and better?
So my verdict??
I COULDNT be happier! This guy helped me in everything and i think i owe him the universe. He knows everything and its not a sales man or jsut a random guy. I dare you to meet him and talk with him he is SUCH a great person/human and im really glad we met each other. He is more of a friend of mine than my tuner. As i told you many times.... A THOUSAND THANK YOU(s) brother!!

As checkM3te said... Tactrix + Kdcan did our work. He install and did everything that he had with software install etc etc and now my babe ROCKS
We are at 272hp / 40kg of torque.
JCW N18 with stock K03s full peripherals(cooler wagner /intake AEM /full exhaust decat Scorpion/ W/Methanol ) we will lift it i guess up to 280hp/41 kg of torque when i make some changes. On a legit dyno...because i made it also show me 300hp because most dynos want you to see bigger numbers than the reality.

So if you are looking for a serious tune from a GREAT person... Please dont go anywhere else.! He does the tune so good that i would like none of the rest tuners to be exist, maybe because he is not doing this for living and because he just love it!!

https://prototype-r.com/

THANK YOU BROTHER

Dimis

checkM3te (01-22-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 08:47 AM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Thank you for the kinds words Gentlemen. We always aim to please and the feedback is much appreciated.

For our Mini clients with an automatic transmission we now have a new option available called Kickdown Delete. With kickdown delete the automatic transmission behaves as usual in normal and sport mode. However, when in manual mode via the shifter or paddles the transmission will not downshift when you floor it. Handy function to have on the track or when dyno'ing or data logging the vehicle. Really should have been this way from the factory.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:15 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Lou@Prototype-R
Thank you for the kinds words Gentlemen. We always aim to please and the feedback is much appreciated.

For our Mini clients with an automatic transmission we now have a new option available called Kickdown Delete. With kickdown delete the automatic transmission behaves as usual in normal and sport mode. However, when in manual mode via the shifter or paddles the transmission will not downshift when you floor it. Handy function to have on the track or when dyno'ing or data logging the vehicle. Really should have been this way from the factory.
Not applicable to me, since I have a manual, but is this something that can be mapped to the sport button? That would be cool.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:17 AM
NeonLed
3rd Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Random question, but awhile ago you said you had no lift shift in the works. How's that coming along?

Old 01-28-2021, 10:56 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by NeonLed
Random question, but awhile ago you said you had no lift shift in the works. How's that coming along?
I've been so swamped I honestly haven't had a chance to get back to it. Time seems to be the one thing I never have enough of. Rest assured however I'll reach out when its ready for prime time.

NeonLed (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 11:11 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
Not applicable to me, since I have a manual, but is this something that can be mapped to the sport button? That would be cool.
Hmm... I hadn't thought to consider that. Thanks for the idea. Currently, moving a paddle shifter or pulling the shift lever over and shifting manually activates it. So its only operational in manual mode. That way if your someone that drives in sport mode all the time the kickdown still functions normally.

Old 02-02-2021, 03:38 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear
It's been a pleasure dealing with Lou, I am in the process of getting a stage 3 + tune.
I have an automatic, and Lou programmed the "kickdown delete". I love it! this is the way the automatic should have come from the factory.🙂.

Staxtis (02-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 09:19 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Minor update to our modification checklist to include Readiness+, Kickdown Delete and Map Switching via the sport button.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Modification Checklist.pdf (208.8 KB, 83 views)

Old 03-01-2021, 03:57 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Minor update to our modification checklist to include Readiness+, Kickdown Delete and Map Switching via the sport button.
Can you provide explanations for “Readiness+” and “EGR Delete”? I understand what EGR delete would imply, just not sure how EGR is implemented on the N18 engine. Is it part of the cam phasing during cruise? Is “Readiness+” for emissions checks?

Old 03-01-2021, 11:06 AM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Since we tune more than Mini's, the modification checklist is designed to cover a wide range of vehicles. So an X5 35D or 335D my choose options such as BlueDef or DPF delete. These options would not be applicable to an R56 sold in the US but could be applicable for an EU Mini. EGR delete is also not applicable since it is not a tested function on the Mini.

Readiness+ is not designed to circumvent emissions testing. It was designed for race applications should a racing organization wish to test catalyst performance. Normally when you clear any codes the readiness monitors are reset. It is then necessary to perform a drive cycle for the relevant test to be performed and readiness to be cleared. Needless to say this could be a problem for a race only vehicle at the track. With Readiness+ the readiness flags are cleared automatically on powerup and stay cleared. Below are some examples for illustration purposes.

This is a readiness test performed on a race only vehicle with catless downpipe and the stock N18 file loaded. After clearing any vehicle codes, even a nuisance code unrelated to the engine DME you will get these results.You'll note the catalytic converter is X'ed out. In this case it is a tested function but the drive cycle and required tests have not been completed. Since the vehicle is catless this code will never clear even if tuned to hide the CEL and associated error codes. The VANOS/EGR function is also X'ed out as it is not a function tested in Readiness on the Mini.

This is the readout from the same vehicle with Readiness+ installed after performing the error clear function and no drive cycle. The catalyst readiness is set and will stay that way.

Staxtis (03-02-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 11:32 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Sounds cool, thanks for the explanation.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:36 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Since we tune more than Mini's, the modification checklist is designed to cover a wide range of vehicles. So an X5 35D or 335D my choose options such as BlueDef or DPF delete. These options would not be applicable to an R56 sold in the US but could be applicable for an EU Mini. EGR delete is also not applicable since it is not a tested function on the Mini.

Readiness+ is not designed to circumvent emissions testing. It was designed for race applications should a racing organization wish to test catalyst performance. Normally when you clear any codes the readiness monitors are reset. It is then necessary to perform a drive cycle for the relevant test to be performed and readiness to be cleared. Needless to say this could be a problem for a race only vehicle at the track. With Readiness+ the readiness flags are cleared automatically on powerup and stay cleared. Below are some examples for illustration purposes.

This is a readiness test performed on a race only vehicle with catless downpipe and the stock N18 file loaded. After clearing any vehicle codes, even a nuisance code unrelated to the engine DME you will get these results.You'll note the catalytic converter is X'ed out. In this case it is a tested function but the drive cycle and required tests have not been completed. Since the vehicle is catless this code will never clear even if tuned to hide the CEL and associated error codes. The VANOS/EGR function is also X'ed out as it is not a function tested in Readiness on the Mini.

This is the readout from the same vehicle with Readiness+ installed after performing the error clear function and no drive cycle. The catalyst readiness is set and will stay that way.
Hi, are these ECU now fully unlocked?

I am curious what can't be done on the standard ECU that a standalone ECU can do.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:05 AM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Current options for a standalone on the R56 include
MOTEC 142 and 182 ecu's LINK
and
SCS Delta LINK
Both of which come with predefined configurations for the Mini.
Both can handle launch control/NLS, boost control for BW/Garrett turbos, nitrous, water meth injection, etc In addition the MOTEC can handle secondary injectors while the SCS Delta can't at the moment.
Most of these functions with the exception of LC/NLS can also be performed with the factory ecu if supplemented via a Cortex EBC or similarly capable device.

Other solutions such a Link G4+ GDI could be used but you would have to setup every sensor and control system profile. In addition you would need to manually configure the ecu to communicate via the canbus system with the rest of the vehicles ecu's.

knt (03-17-2021)
Old 04-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Aaron Somes
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Lou,
I’ve been investigating standalone systems, and see that currently they only have functionality with the N14.

MOTEC lists only N14, and Link told me they cannot support the Dual-VANOS system in the N18.

ECUMaster’s EMU Black does have the VANOS support capability, but not DI support. Of which you could use the Syvecs GDI4 system to control those injectors.

Is this anything you’ve investigated? I have a ‘13 R56 JCW and would love the capabilities of a standalone.

Current options for a standalone on the R56 include
MOTEC 142 and 182 ecu's LINK
and
SCS Delta LINK
Both of which come with predefined configurations for the Mini.
Both can handle launch control/NLS, boost control for BW/Garrett turbos, nitrous, water meth injection, etc In addition the MOTEC can handle secondary injectors while the SCS Delta can't at the moment.
Most of these functions with the exception of LC/NLS can also be performed with the factory ecu if supplemented via a Cortex EBC or similarly capable device.

Other solutions such a Link G4+ GDI could be used but you would have to setup every sensor and control system profile. In addition you would need to manually configure the ecu to communicate via the canbus system with the rest of the vehicles ecu's.

Old 04-19-2021, 04:42 PM
Lou@Prototype-R
Vendor
Hi Aaron,

From my understanding the SCS-Delta does support the N18 but I have not confirmed this. The Motec has been able to be used with the N18 for quite some time. See links below.
SCS-Delta N14/N18
Motec N18 JCW w/Garrett turbo.

Lou

Quick Reply: Handheld Tuning comes to the N18