Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What's your winter project?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:58 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Cirbo
I'm trying! I'm trying!
Don't give up Call me if you need more help One thing for sure...not many people will have the OCC up front

Old 02-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
i have some photo's of our lower pulley install yesterday. i just need to download them and post them.....soon...very soon.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
In progress report...got most of the NOS bottle heater installed. Strip wire, twist wire, solder wire, shrink wrap wire....repeat Hate havn to hit the sack because I have a early wake up call I'll update the pic tomorrow after it's finished. Got the pressure gauge and will hook that up as soon as Peter sends me the new lines Untill then...

man...I hate when that happens...I thought I found a new host for my pics

Old 02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agokart
i have some photo's of our lower pulley install yesterday. i just need to download them and post them.....soon...very soon.
The lower pulley has been an interesting new item I have been following. Waiting for more imput from Detroit Tuned gang.

MSFITOY's MINI is becoming more of a living breathing thing every day....possibly becoming a borg or similar sci-fi creature .

Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I've been following Ryan's report too on his lower pully install and will probably follow suit Chad's only 20 minutes away.

F%&#*!N owww...grabbed the soldering iron by the wrong end last night

Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I have no finger print on my right index

The bottle heater assembly is finished and passed test cycles. It is armed when the park lamps are turned on (I always drive that way) and powered up when the switch (light at upper left) is turned on. The twin thermostats attached to the bottle regulate the heat to +- 80 F to maintain the optimum 900psi

Old 02-03-2005, 08:24 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Your car is looking great! Thanks for including all the photos. It's been inspiring to watch your progress.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:54 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I'm back...whew Don't know what happened, but I couldn't respond to my PMs or my own thread Sorry TonyB.

I got the pressure gauge on and all systems are GO The coiled line is just what I have on hand but the new ones Peter's sending me are custom sized and things will look very tidy

Old 02-05-2005, 12:17 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you got that sorted-out! The 3rd PM last night was also blank...

I've gone back and forth on how and where to mount the PIAA 1100's driving lights. I'm currently back to fabricating my own bracket and placing it about where you put your 540's, or maybe even a bit higher, in the "middle" grill area. I'm going to scope that prospect out a bit later today. I'm also thinking about extending the wire leads out of the 1100's as they are only about 4" in length, and longer would be better for future bumper removal and access...

I see why Rye told you to put a switch on that Hornet XP-3 sonic deer thingy!!! Oh, it's definitely audible to the human ear . I can't hear it while driving, but still, around town... I do have a heart... I wired it up to a billet aluminum toggle with blue LED, and it looks awesome, when lit (at night), and not. I have several others in blue, red and green that I'll be installing in the coming weeks. They match the MINI's interior very nicely...

Time to get some work done...

Old 02-05-2005, 01:21 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
The posts on the 1100s are thinner so I used black washers to cover up the excess. Once tightened with lock-tite they shouldn't move. Pictures Tony?

Old 02-05-2005, 02:00 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Much appreciated, but no need buddy; at least I don't think so. I'm acutally working on mounting these guys in that middle grill now. Power drill in one hand now, and camera in the other. I'll share a photo or two later

Old 02-05-2005, 06:25 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
It got dark on me, so I had to call it quits a little while ago. I got some things done, and made some progress with the DL brackets though.

I rotated my tires, re-torqued the lug bolts to 90 lbs, and then checked for air pressure (set them at 38 lbs all the way around). This gave me a chance to use a new digital tire pressure gauge, and it worked exceptionally well. And with those gauges I showed earlier under the toggles, since I'll be adding a wideband A/F as my last gauge, I ran those wires today, and I tucked them up and out of the way. When I get that gauge, since it's already prewired now, the install should be a fair amount easier...

I did indeed decide to mount the PIAA 1100's through the middle grill, on the bumper. I do like the idea of having them on such a solid surface, and I know that I slam the hood a little hard sometimes, and having lights hanging there did sort of bother me a bit... Plus I do want to tap the fog lights or running lights, which are down there anyway...

Complicating matters a little is that the bumper is convex (the middle is out the furthest), so putting a normal bracket on them would make the brackets point outward, and while the lights can be rotated to point straight, it would look a little strange to have the brackets pointing at such an angle.

So, I bent the brackets at an opposite angle to compenstate, and it turned-out quite well. I'll be attaching 5 photos to give some visuals... Behind the brackets are opennings in the bumper which should allow for the wires to run their needed routes. In one of the shots, you can see that Hornet XP-3 dear device...

I used a Dremel to section-out some slits in the middle grill, and I added some space for the wires, and to make it easier for future installs & removals of this piece...

I have since cut-off about 2" of the brackets (they were longer than needed by design), and will round the edeges to the contour of the PIAA pedestal. Oh, this is 1/8" thick aluminum, 2" wide. It is plenty sturdy, especially for these little guys...

Old 02-05-2005, 06:31 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
The last 2 photos...

Old 02-05-2005, 06:53 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Wow...that's pretty cool Do you have a metal brake? Wish I had one You're right...a standard angle bracket will stick out radially from the bumper curve. It's not noticable under the larger 540s. I plan on having those brackets blackened soon (the next time I take the front end apart for the AGS ).

mmmmmmm....green vegetation....what a lovely location you live in I'm guessing it's 70ish there?

Old 02-05-2005, 07:49 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I used a vice and a hammer I'm going to clean-up the parts that are visible, and I think the aluminum should look nice as is. If not, like yourself, I'll paint it black. AGS time would certainly make sense...

You nailed it! A very beautifuly day, low mid 70's... As you might remember, I live in a canyon, thus the desire for the Hornet XP-3... With all the recent rains, an now nice weather, the flora is really coming-up... too much! I have a little over an acre here, so yard work takes-on a whole new meaning . Once landscaped, it should be easy though...

I do miss having a garage, so I'm quite envious of you! I have plans to build one in the coming couple of years...

EDIT: After chatting with Peter moments ago, I'll be changing tire pressure to 36F/34R. Thanks Peter .

Old 02-05-2005, 08:37 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TonyB
I used a vice and a hammer I'm going to clean-up the parts that are visible, and I think the aluminum should look nice as is. If not, like yourself, I'll paint it black. AGS time would certainly make sense...

You nailed it! A very beautifuly day, low mid 70's... As you might remember, I live in a canyon, thus the desire for the Hornet XP-3... With all the recent rains, an now nice weather, the flora is really coming-up... too much! I have a little over an acre here, so yard work takes-on a whole new meaning . Once landscaped, it should be easy though...

I do miss having a garage, so I'm quite envious of you! I have plans to build one in the coming couple of years...

EDIT: After chatting with Peter moments ago, I'll be changing tire pressure to 36F/34R. Thanks Peter .
Good grasshoppa...you learn well...

I'll trade ya my garage for your weather...a two car garage is probably worth $100k there right? I'm running 38F/35R on my Kumos'...great minds think alike If you guys don't fall into the ocean in the next 10 years, I'll move there and be your neighbor

Old 02-05-2005, 09:00 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
$100k sounds about right! It's going to cost me about $20k to "incorporate" a garage into a split-level, and that's doing much of it myself...

The wife returns from Taiwan in 3 more weeks (Chinese New Year), so there is still time too bang-out a few more projects. I sort of have car parts spread througout the house .

Old 02-05-2005, 09:02 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Did I tell you I'm from Taiwan Taiwanese are very cooooool

Old 02-05-2005, 09:12 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Damn, I didn't know that. I lived there about 4 months in the Summer of '95 while doing research for my thesis. I lived in Taipei (near Tai Da, Roosevelt Lu), then Linko, and spent much time in a town that borders Taipei that is popular for it's milk and bread - I can't remember its name now!

I pretty much traveled the island: Cheelung, Puli (dead center of Taiwan), Tai Zhong, Hualian (the marble capital of Asia), Tai Dong, Kaoshung, Tainan... many good memories. I got hooked on moutnain climbing when I peaked Jade Mtn...

I actually have my wife on Yahoo! IM at this very moment :smile: So you speak Mandarin, and probably Taiwanese then, right? "Wo dong entien zhong guo hua."

Old 02-05-2005, 09:15 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
here is the face liftaaaah.... more air

thanks again Dave and Dave Jr for a job well done!

Attached Thumbnails What's your winter project?-hood2.jpg   What's your winter project?-hood1.jpg   What's your winter project?-hood3.jpg  
Old 02-05-2005, 09:16 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sorry Tony...that's the embarrasing part... after the chinese waiter takes my order and asks the same question..."um, I was too young to speak" Actually, it's my parents fault for not keeping up with the language after we immegrated But I can understand Taiwanese

Old 02-05-2005, 09:27 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Wow! El got this thread back on track big-time. Face lift indeed! That should certainly get more air in...

Old 02-05-2005, 09:29 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Wow! El got this thread back on track big-time. Face lift indeed! That should certainly get more air in...
a few of us are making a replacement for the stock scoop but I needed something NOW and this was the only thing available..... The car breathes much better now and heat soak is less of an issue

Old 02-05-2005, 09:31 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Fiberglass?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:32 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Fiberglass?
probably fiberglass and carbon fiber depending on what the interest is

we are making a diverter for this scoop

Quick Reply: Drivetrain What's your winter project?