Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What's your winter project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:24 AM
fishey72
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I 'borrowed' this picture of the white wheels I want from Jeru on the white wheels thread. Sharp looking car. We see Ryephiles pix all the time

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=35467

Old 01-20-2005, 02:41 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Introducing....zeee "Anti-monki bonnet latch"

The hardware are riveted into the trim. I didn't have a lock handy to illustrate together...but you can figure where it goes

You'd think they could've made the car symbol on the latch look like a Mini

Old 01-20-2005, 02:50 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Introducing....zeee "Anti-monkey bonnet lock"
very nice

Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

How about this Sid!

Old 01-20-2005, 03:34 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by agokart

How about this Sid!
agocart, is that your MINI Cooper at the Detroit auto show?
I was just there yesterday and a red MINI drag car down starirs had the same solid engine mount.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
nope that was the MINI drag car, but took a bunch of photo's of the car for idea's. some normal stuff going on. drag racing is just hard for a front wheel drive car. i will love to see how that car runs on the track. but that engine mount would help us all with engine movement.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:54 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
agokart, I've got to ask, but do you have any added vibration? I ran with delrin in a couple areas, and it was a bit too much. I'm contemplating some other combos now of delrin and the PowerFlex polyurethane stuff...

I have a few Winter projects going-on as well. I will share here, with photos later:

This first project was not by design. My climate control fan/blower stopped working over a month ago. After checking several related fuses and relays, I decided to start dismantling the interior. I've been driving around with no gloove box, Euro parcel shelf, front console (the one about the shifter), down tubes, and the toggles. After entering a Home Depot parking lot rather fast last week, the fan came roaring on and has worked since - go figure . I'm hesitant to put everything back just yet though. I'll spare you the thread here and over on MINI2...

I do have some planned projects though!

Ledas, with the Webb Motorsports front camber plates - in progress

Homemade IC sprayer, activated by the horn buttons - in progress, still deciding upon a storage tank, already have the delrin gear motor picked (thanks to Peter of M7)

Addition of 4 billet aluminum toggles, with built-in LEDs (blue [two], red & green) inside the Euro parcel shelf - joining a dual cig lighter, and an aux input. One sits in the blank-out, and three in a fabricated aluminum angle that I wired brushed and rivited into the shelf - in progress

Diode rear brake light mod (activation of rear fogs, when braking). With CA sales tax, I was out of the Radio Shack door for a buck 50. A very worthwhile addition - done:
http://www.3forces.com/mini/technica...emod/index.asp

Replacement of 21w reverse/back-up light with a PIAA 27 watter (bulb #1156). I decided against the 50w halogen one due to the lessened longevity, and added heat - arrived today, apparently

Elimination of spliced wire connections in favor of a couple Add-A-Circuits:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=1527&DID=7
- in progress, one done already

Courtesy of MSFITOY, the PIAA 1100x driving lights. Currently fabricating aluminum brackets for the front bumper...

Also from this thread, the install of the Hornet XP3-V120 sonic deer alert - in progress

M7 oil catch can - in progress

M7 rear ultimate grilles - need to order

M7 AGS - awaiting initial production run

For those who don't know, I have an aluminum deck in place of my rear seat. I decided to put a blue utility light under it that I can activate with one of those toggles. It should add some nice interior lighting at night, and look pretty cool with blue light shooting out from under the deck . It was less than 3 bucks at Kragens. Just got it last night...

Here is the deck:

While it rests on the ledge in the back, it sits up several inches in the front, perfect for light to come forward.

Many projects, but mostly small ones...

Old 01-20-2005, 05:02 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by TonyB
For those who don't know, I have an aluminum deck in place of my rear seat. I decided to put a blue utility light under it that I can activate with one of those toggles. It should add some nice interior lighting at night, and look pretty cool with blue light shooting out from under the deck . It was less than 3 bucks at Kragens. Just got it last night...
You DOG Ok ok...you need to return a favor and give the low down on that rear parcel shelf I've GOTTA HAVE IT Please PM me if this is top secret

Old 01-20-2005, 05:07 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by agokart
How about this Sid!
Man Is that a Positronic Phase Inducer for the Motor??? I've wanted to order softer semi-solid mounts from Randy many times...but each time, he discouraged me

Old 01-20-2005, 05:13 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Nah, nothing secretive about it... I didn't want to share the details on it here because it was a Winter project a couple years ago. I don't want to **** the guy off who started this thread by taking it too far off course!

Here's the evolution of it here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...=aluminum+deck

Did it myself, and it's really not too bad. Heck, it so practical also. As you can see (from the link), it lifts, and I have storage below. I put a lip on the front, and it holds items on top very well; it's quite strong.

The MINI is my first new car. Family and friends couldn't believe I ripped into it the first few months I still own two kit cars, so it's just 2nd nature for me to do such crap I guess...

If you really want to tackle this, feel free to contact me...

Old 01-20-2005, 05:14 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Man Is that a Positronic Phase Inducer for the Motor??? I've wanted to order softer semi-solid mounts from Randy many times...but each time, he discouraged me I think I can handle it this time...I'll force him to send them to me
Peter might still have some delrin ones lying around. Contact him also...

Old 01-20-2005, 05:41 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
I forgot to mention the new Sparco strut brace I put on last week After 3 months of Mini sobriety, the weather finally cleared up (although colder than SHT!!! ) so we went on a cruisin binge and racked up a couple hundred blissful miles No...nothing caught on fire I didn't run the N2O because of the temperature but I've found new appreciation for this brace It tamed the front ocillation noticable when turning onto tire grooved intersections. They were a PITA to locate... but after two months...I've got it and I like it Weighs 6lbs, less bling but very functional

Old 01-20-2005, 05:50 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Looks sharp! It appears that you had to slide your UNIChip forward a tad to clear the bar... 2 Q's:

Does the bar have adjustments on it, so one can pre-load it? And, does it come in blue?

Old 01-20-2005, 05:51 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Your naked engine bay is so sexy!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:53 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MyPocketRocket
Your naked engine bay is so sexy!
oh...you made Msfit blush I did move the Unichip forward an inch...I think it only comes in red and it does have a pre-tensioner (silver nuts at the left side of the bar)

Old 01-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
yeah that "bushing" would send a lot of vibrations to the car that you will feel all over the car. it is not the daily driver!

Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Sort of thought so . While mine's a commuter, she's pretty much on the wild side for the streets. Living in a canyon with Porsches, M3's and the like for playmates, I feel the need to keep her on the edge civility...

MSFITOY - Don't know how I missed that nut! Thanks.

NOTE: with re to my above post about the brake light mod, if anyone is considering this (or has done it), it does come with a caveat (post 5 onward):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...992#post460992

I'm going with LED bulbs. Something else to get...

Old 01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sort of thought so . While mine's a commuter, she's pretty much on the wild side for the streets. Living in a canyon with Porsches, M3's and the like for playmates, I feel the need to keep her on the edge civility...

MSFITOY - Don't know how I missed that nut! Thanks.

NOTE: with re to my above post about the brake light mod, if anyone is considering this (or has done it), it does come with a caveat (post 5 onward):

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...992#post460992

I'm going with LED bulbs. Something else to get...
No problems so far from me or others around here that I know of...Heck, I even modified my CHMSL to flash I'm afraid to let the mechanics see how many wires I've hacked into

Old 01-20-2005, 06:25 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
With my PROMINI boost and oil pressure gauges flickering, then finally going-out, I'm not keen on the spliced wire connetors anymore. Try that Add-A-Circuit. Pep Boys has them for like 7 or 8 bucks. It really makes for a cleaner install, when possible, of course...

With a day of meetings, my brain is too fried to think now... CHMSL?

EDIT...

Old 01-20-2005, 06:28 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
With my PROMINI boost and oil pressure gauges flickering, then finally going-out, I'm not keen on the spliced wire connetors anymore. Try that Add-A-Circuit. Pep Boys has them for like 7 or 8 bucks. It really makes for a cleaner install, when possible, of course...

With a day of meetings, by brain is too fried to think now... CHMSL?
Better "by brain" than "your brain" CHMSL, acronym for Center-High-Mount-Stop-Lamp

Old 01-20-2005, 06:38 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
A new acronym for me! Fixed my typo above . Hey, if I decide to replace the tail light bulbs with LED ones, what's involved in gaining access?

Old 01-20-2005, 08:04 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Here's a close up of the tensioner Tony:smile: BTW... Do you have one of these very cool M7 head? Too bad you can't read the numbers...

Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Thanks for the close-up. Yes, I have one alright! I'm waiting for his new one in the next month or so .

Old 01-21-2005, 06:21 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Sid,

Where did you get the Sparco? If you had the Alta CAI in, do you think it would still fit? Think you would have to trim the CAI box?

Do you really feel a difference with this bar?

Old 01-21-2005, 06:45 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by onasled
Hey Sid,

Where did you get the Sparco? If you had the Alta CAI in, do you think it would still fit? Think you would have to trim the CAI box?

Do you really feel a difference with this bar?
I got it from StreetDemand. I had first ordered it from Abtivan cause their price was lower but waited nearly a month to be informed that Sparco had discontinued this item so they said...Then I found it at StreetDemand on Ebay. Ordered it and went through hell communicating with them After nearly a month, Ebay sends me a note informing me that they were delisted I called SD up and find out that there was a screw up with Ebay but the part was on it's way finally They drop shipped it from Sparco so I don't know what's with the discontinued BS.

I really can't answer your question regarding the Alta as you can see, I can't put it back anymore (it's been sold anyway) The only thing I'm sure of is that you'd need to trim the ECU cover or leave it off as I did.

Do I feel a difference? Yes. We have heavily grooved roads here due to heavy trucks and crossing them while sliding around an intersection, it's added stiffness helps greatly to keep the front from ocillating...quite annoying as I look very silly when my head is shaking side to side like a bobble head doll

Check back later for my "spoiler lip" enhancement

Quick Reply: Drivetrain What's your winter project?