Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain What's your winter project?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 06:51 AM
ncdave
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to find the time to tweak the Kart (an Ultramax Centerforce).:smile:

Old 01-21-2005, 07:06 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ncdave
I'm going to find the time to tweak the Kart (an Ultramax Centerforce).:smile:
I can only "sit" in my Tony shifter kart while it's 7 degrees F outside

Old 01-21-2005, 04:37 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Ok...I'm back again Here's my prototype polycarbonate spoiler lip. For now, it's stuck on with some serious double-sided tape that I got from work (not sure I can get the thing off ). The final design will include rivets to prevent the ends from lifting. This will be mounted onto my CF "Aero" spoiler. Also, it'll be blackened to make it dissappear. Should be good for at least 3000lbs of down force at the rear don't ya think???

Old 01-22-2005, 09:58 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MSFITOY, how about another shot of your spoiler? It's a bit dark, and I'd like to see it...

The FedEx guy came today with my 27w PIAA reverse light to replace the stock 21 watter. That's almost 30% brighter, and it is noticeable. Plus, the blue bulb looks really cool even when not lit...

Since I like to see photos of MINI's in various states of dis-assembly, I'll include a few here. This is how I've been driving the past 6 weeks - minus the tools and crap .

I miss the toggles though! I had a Mustang GT want to play tonight, and the DSC shot my butt down so fast it wasn't even funny . Oh well...

Reverse light photos in the next post...

Old 01-22-2005, 10:20 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
This was about a 30 minute job, but I could see it being an hour or so for those with a different exhaust. By doing a search here (NAM), it appears that not many have changed their back-up or reverse lights. Since we have just one (not the '05's), I find this important, especially when backing out of a parking lot, or even in the dark, and sometimes foggy canyon where I live...

These two PIAAs (bulb #1156) delivered were 15 bucks and change. I didn't see anything in the local stores beyond 20 or 21 watts, except the very hot burning halogen bulb at 50 watts, and I didn't want to go down that path...

Between this, and the diodes to activate the rear fogs when braking, the improvment in seeing and being seen is well worth the 17 bucks and 45 minutes of time...

I hope to get the Hornet deer sonic device installed tomorrow... Football will have me somewhat glued to the set... Maybe I'll put the TiVo to use

Old 01-23-2005, 07:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Hey Tony...that's an interesting addition for the reverse lamp. Where did you get the bulb from?

Can't turn off DSC without the switch That's good...

Let's try this image:

It is subtle. On the final version that will be mounted on the CF "Aero spoiler", it'll be black and likely disappear There will also be two additional "spoiler" strips along the C-pillar to help square up the rear end. And BTW...I'm gettn stirred up to do something about that rear under body diffuser Oh well...if ya can't buy one, build one

Old 01-23-2005, 08:57 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Ah, I can see it much better now, thanks! Indeed, it's like a lip of sorts. This should add some resistance, making for downward pressure; nice for our light rear-ends. Looks very sharp also! Do share the finished version, along with the others. Heck, keep the "molds" in case others might want these .

As far as a rear underbody diffuser goes, you also might want to consider Peter's Ultimate Grilles back there. Getting some flow-through, I'm thinking, would be beneficial. And where one has more flow, there's more opportunity to channel it, like for downward force. I'm contemplating an order from Peter now...

Oh, the lights, I got them here:

http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIA19227

I will put back my toggles, down tubes and front console later today, IF I can get my aux gauge lights (boost, oil pressure, voltmeter & oil temp) to work! I'm sort of wondering, since my front console is out, which includes the cigarette lighter, and its light, I'm thinking or hoping that once I re-install that, those gauge lights will function. Very strange...

3 more hours before the first game, I'll see what I can get done. Hey, I didn't chime-in, but that was a very nice photo you shared of your family in that massive "Show your face" thread!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:29 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sid,

What's your theory behind the spoiler lip? Looks like it will creat a ton more drag and will certainly make the back of the car that much dirtier

I'm also day dreaming about rear diffuser design and might attempt one myself. Have a very good picture in my head of how I want it and how to construct it.

About to install a Built By Bones roll bar. It arrived yesterday and I just finished painting it up today. Removable horizontal and diagonal bars. So far it's a real nice piece of work and Grant and Nick have been great to deal with. I'll post up some photos soon.

Seats are next I think!

Old 01-23-2005, 07:50 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Ohhh yeaaa...

The Diffuser, here's an image of one I built last year, from aluminum,
carbon fiber and a sh**t load of stainless steel rivets.

Enjoy...

peter

Best part is, it works.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:12 PM
onasled
Banned
well, .. there ya go ..

Peter, any other photos of this?
About what I was thinking of minus the aluminum. I'm thinking foam core CF, or even just foam core glass.
What were your results of this mod?

Old 01-23-2005, 08:23 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Tons of downforce, I would recommend coilovers with 600lb springs in the rear or you will understeer like a pig...

Sorry this is the only image I have.

peter

Old 01-24-2005, 06:37 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by M7
Tons of downforce, I would recommend coilovers with 600lb springs in the rear or you will understeer like a pig...

Sorry this is the only image I have.

peter
600lbs springs Maybe that's more down force than I need or want

Onasled, the function of this lip (correct me if I'm wrong, scientists) is to behave as a small airdam and create higher pressure over the wing, therefore greater down force. It's sharp edge also serves to provide a clean break of the laminar flow and the turbulent boundary layer behind the Mini. Depending on how tall this lip is, it can reduce drag to a certain extent. The reason the new Corvettes have a "chopped" rear end (as do most modern race cars) is purely the result of function over form...benifits of extensive windtunnel testing. The Minis rear end is rather "soft" shaped and there's some opportunity to reduce drag. If you were to place a stock Mini into a wind tunnel, you'll probably find that parts of this turbulance at the rear is actually coming forward and striking the rear. This is why the rear end not only collects so much dirt but is also hard to clean. Along the C-pillars, I'll install similar strips (this area is not perpendicular to the airstream) to provide a clean break from the sides as well. They won't be visible to the casual observer as they are the same color/dimensions as the C-pillar trim. The net result should be a moderate enhancement of the rear wing's down force while decreasing drag (and a cleaner butt)

Old 01-24-2005, 08:27 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE

New badge?

Old 01-24-2005, 08:28 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The net result should be a moderate enhancement of the rear wing's down force while decreasing drag (and a cleaner butt)
Good luck with that. :smile:

Old 01-24-2005, 09:06 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
since the amount of downforce is (probably?) related to the square of the velocity, how are you going to balance the front vs rear wheel traction, not to mention suspension compression, for cornering speeds varying, say, from 30 to 100 mph?

Old 01-24-2005, 09:08 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Ok...I'm back again Here's my prototype polycarbonate spoiler lip. For now, it's stuck on with some serious double-sided tape that I got from work (not sure I can get the thing off ). The final design will include rivets to prevent the ends from lifting. This will be mounted onto my CF "Aero" spoiler. Also, it'll be blackened to make it dissappear. Should be good for at least 3000lbs of down force at the rear don't ya think???

...something to go along with the splitter up front!

Old 01-24-2005, 10:52 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by meb
...something to go along with the splitter up front!
That's my reasoning. I've had past experiences working with windtunnel technicians and this small enhancement "should" do the job. To what degree? Who cares... It keeps me busy

Old 01-24-2005, 04:29 PM
onasled
Banned
...this roll bar is NOT going to be an easy install at all

Maybe when i wake up tomorow it will all be better

Old 01-24-2005, 06:50 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
1-Thanks Tony for the link

2-Peter, any chance you'll develope this diffuser for production?

3-Onasled, please post images of the roll bar:smile:

Old 01-24-2005, 07:33 PM
M7
Former Vendor
With sooooo many projects in the fire, there's nary time for sleep or other
fun things in life

Possibly, maybe......as we are now starting another new car project I will add
a diffuser, and if I feel like making patterns etc...........

Remember that the batterybox is gonner and you will have to re-think the
exhaust routing, and to make it really good, a flat bottom design from
the front of the car to the rear diffuser would be bitchin.

peter

Old 01-25-2005, 05:35 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
You know I'm NOT afraid to cut things up, Peter Gives me a good reason to go back with Supertrapp

Old 01-25-2005, 08:06 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by onasled
...this roll bar is NOT going to be an easy install at all

Maybe when i wake up tomorow it will all be better
AAAAAWWWWWGGGGGG~!!!!!!!!!! %$#$#@*

Old 01-25-2005, 08:14 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by onasled
AAAAAWWWWWGGGGGG~!!!!!!!!!! %$#$#@*
Hey what's up Onasled I see it's not good news

Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 AM
onasled
Banned
Don't want to say too much, as I have a call in to Grant for advise.
As of now I can not raise the back seats past the braces. It seems that the bend is not right on these bars.

It's disturbing enough to cut out carpet and drill 1.5" holes into the plastic interior, but when it doesn't go together well, it starts to freak me out a bit.
But as I say, I need to wait till I talk with Grant before I accuse anyone. It could easiely be me, but I do think I've been over it many times with no good solutions but to have these bars re-shaped.

Old 01-25-2005, 12:45 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Sorry to hear about that On another note...got news my CF Aero wing has arrived Can't wait to see it. Called Mrs to fire up the garage so it'll be toasty for "us" when I get home from work

Edit: I found the CF wing to be surprisingly GREAT I was afraid there might be quality issues for the price but there aren't any. The weaves are straight and the resin is clear and very glossy. Thanks Tuls for the tip They've raised the price $8 since my purchase but still a steal at $168 + $28 shipping...and it got here from Taiwan in less than a week:smile: Back to the garage...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain What's your winter project?