Drivetrain RPM Stage 2 Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 07:18 AM
hadjiikong
3rd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
RPM Stage 2 Tune

Since getting my 2016 JCW brand new in 2016 I have tried many different tunes. First the basic plug and play NM unit which gives you a taste of what the F56 platform is capable of doing. After that I tried out the JB4. While this is another plug and play tune it offers a bit more than the NM unit can especially once you go catless. I then decided to go to a true tune and switched to Bytetronik. This tune was a game changer. You get to feel the raw power of the car. Boost builds instantly which I was loving on the highway and straight lines but at the track and curvy roads the instant power was not what I was looking for. In my own opinion it just didn't feel safe for me or the longevity of the car. I am sure the Bytetronik team has built a safe tune but it was just not for me.

This past week after installing a @MarioKart downpipe on an R56 and riding in it pre and post tuned I was like this is exactly what I want. Even though it was an R56 I knew Mario could build a tune for my F56 that would be exactly what I wanted. I talked to Mario on the phone and told him what I was looking for and decided to go with the RPM Stage 2 Tune with the flames and cold start delete. I was very impressed with the quick turn around time Mario has and the detailed video showing exactly how to remove the ECU because its a bit cumbersome. I would recommend just taking your intake out instead of pushing it to the side because that made my life a whole lot easier. Once I got the ECU reinstalled I ran into some issues which were all my fault. Luckily Mario was working with me right away to figure out what I did wrong. Turns out the connectors take quite a bit of pressure to fully seat. When I first started the car up I had a check engine light which made me a bit worried but turns out you will get one whenever you disconnect the ECU and put it back. I cleared it off with the handheld and never came back.

Driving the car was incredible. To get out of town I left it in green mode to keep the neighbors happy and it cruised around like it did from the factory. Soon as I hit the bridge out of town I slid it over to sport and it was like I woke up the beast. The power comes on smooth and consistent. Each turn I took and gassed out of the cars power build with what has to be a perfectly curved power map. You knew exactly how the car would handle and that the power was not just going to surge and catch me off guard. Giving the keys to my wife she is not longer afraid of driving the car. She said it was predictable just like the other vehicles. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to take the next step from a plug and play to a custom tune.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:00 PM
ST107
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Pardon the newbie question, but what is a cold start delete?

Also how would you describe the green mode sound with your AWE touring and downpipe? I ask because we have almost the same mods and I am debating weather or not to get the flames with my tune.

Thanks

Old 06-15-2020, 02:46 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Thank you for the review and sharing your experience with our Community. I’m building a bigger turbo and tuning for the F series.

Enjoy your new linear power.
take car
Mario
mQubed Motorsport
MarioPalza@gmail.com

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 06-15-2020, 03:08 PM
Warren2185
3rd Gear
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ST107
Pardon the newbie question, but what is a cold start delete?
I got the cold start delete with my Stage 2 Bytetronik tune. I'm pretty sure it's a feature that, right at the initial start, gives the engine a boost of revs. It's like, as you turn the key, you give it a throttle blip for a quick burst of RPM. I think it's to heat up the catalytic converter a bit faster for emissions, although it is just a quick burst. It drove me nuts, I'm glad I got the delete and now it just starts smooth and goes into idle RPM right away.

BTW, I've got about 14,000 miles on a Bytetronik Stage 2 with zero hiccups.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:10 AM
hadjiikong
3rd Gear
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Warren2185
I got the cold start delete with my Stage 2 Bytetronik tune. I'm pretty sure it's a feature that, right at the initial start, gives the engine a boost of revs. It's like, as you turn the key, you give it a throttle blip for a quick burst of RPM. I think it's to heat up the catalytic converter a bit faster for emissions, although it is just a quick burst. It drove me nuts, I'm glad I got the delete and now it just starts smooth and goes into idle RPM right away.

BTW, I've got about 14,000 miles on a Bytetronik Stage 2 with zero hiccups.
That is correct. The cold start delete takes away the higher revs when you first start the engine. They are meant to heat up the cat.

In green mode you will get a bit of drone above 65 mph. To be honest it is actually quieter in normal and sport mode because when the turbo is building boost its quiets the exhaust down but then your mpg takes a hit. When we went across South Dakota where it is 80 mph we had to leave it in sport mode because in green the drone was not very pleasant. Also keep in mind I do not have a rear seat or any of the sound dampening material from the truck area which will make a difference.

I used the Bytetronik tune for about 15k miles as well and never had an issue either it just was not what I was looking for in a tune. I am not trying to bad mouth Bytetronik at all because like I said I never had an issue with the tune it was just not what I was looking for out of a tune.

The following users liked this post:
Warren2185 (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 09:05 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 145 Likes on 107 Posts
I have RPM stage 2 on my R56, it's great, loving it.
My wife has ByteTronik stage 2 on F56, also loving it, actually loving it more coming from a 2.0 platform.

Both tunes are of high quality build, no complaints.