Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Driveshaft coming out HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021 | 03:23 PM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
Driveshaft coming out HELP

Guys thats the second time that my driveshaft/axle came out and i lost my gear oil...!!

1st time that happens i thought that because car was stripped out etc etc might was a problem on fitting(however it did it several days after i took it from workshop)
So i bought 2 sealing ring(OEM)replace them and put the shaft in its position.
It doesnt have bolts or anything its just "CLIP" inside.
So i thought that was it.

1-2weeks later im going to my garage and i see gear oil again on the floor.
Axle again is out!!

Need help if anyone can tell me why car might behaved like that.
New osgiken clutch + wavetrac differential installed.

Old 02-21-2021 | 09:10 PM
squawSkiBum
Is the clip on the end of the shaft in place? That is supposed to snap in and hold it in place. I wonder if when the driveshafts were removed in preparation for removing the transmission for the clutch and diff install, the original clip got left behind and is preventing the new one from engaging. Suggest you ask the shop that did the install about that.

Old 02-22-2021 | 01:18 AM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by squawSkiBum
Is the clip on the end of the shaft in place? That is supposed to snap in and hold it in place. I wonder if when the driveshafts were removed in preparation for removing the transmission for the clutch and diff install, the original clip got left behind and is preventing the new one from engaging. Suggest you ask the shop that did the install about that.
Thank you for your reply friend..

Nope...There is only one clip which is there on the shaft.
I saw it with my eyes at the workshop..(1st thing in the morning i went to workshop)
Driveshaft is out on my hands nothing seems "bad" and because also the first time that i had that problem everything seems to be right we just changed the seal ring put driveshaft again and some days later.AGAIN!

When you mount the shaft it seems that "cips" :/

Old 02-22-2021 | 04:59 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Then you're either not pushing it all the way in or you just need to replace the clip at the end of the shaft. As long as the CV joints aren't leaking grease and the splines on the transmission side of the axle aren't stripped out, you should be able to reuse it.

Old 02-22-2021 | 10:34 AM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
Then you're either not pushing it all the way in or you just need to replace the clip at the end of the shaft. As long as the CV joints aren't leaking grease and the splines on the transmission side of the axle aren't stripped out, you should be able to reuse it.
Thank you for your reply friend.

It has been pushed all the way FOR SURE.I see that with my eyes while mechanic was doing it.
Clip was replaced too..(i put a used one because i wasnt able to find a new one at that time).

However i dont get the part that i have bold...
What do you mean splines...stripped out??

Old 02-22-2021 | 04:19 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Sometimes if the axle pops out under power or while the car is moving, the splines can get chewed up. The female splines in the differential are harder than male splines on the axle, so the axle will get damaged in this situation before the differential.

Old 02-22-2021 | 11:42 PM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
I got you!! No friend the splines looks to be in perfect cndition without chewing issues.
Thats why it looks suspicious because everything seems to be GOOD.
My mechanic did a little thinner/sharper the clip because he said that feels like clip was too fat/wide to fit into differentials spline.
So he did it a bit thinner(if it was 2mm thick he did it 1.5mm) and hope this will keep it in.
If not....Maybe something bigger is happening to the differential?

Old 02-23-2021 | 09:04 PM
squawSkiBum
Yeah a mismatch between the width of the clip and the channel on the differential is a good theory.

A couple of other thoughts:
1. the clip might be too soft, so it is not holding in place?
2. any suspension mods, so the distance between the differential and the wheel hub is longer?

Old 02-23-2021 | 11:27 PM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
Yeah a mismatch between the width of the clip and the channel on the differential is a good theory.

A couple of other thoughts:
1. the clip might be too soft, so it is not holding in place?
2. any suspension mods, so the distance between the differential and the wheel hub is longer?
Thanks squaw for your reply.

1.I think not....Cause clip is going out hard and also we have change the clip from another axle in order to be sure that this clip wasnt the issue, but apparently...did work ))

2.I wouldnt say that. I have ohlins supsension with 17X7.5 wheels without spacers.. Suspension have some levels to go lower..Camber is now 0 and i will put it back to -2 which is also not that big.

Today i will do another drive of the car.
I believe...Hope that it wont happen again.Lets hope it was the clip that couldnt fit correctly at the diffs spline.

I drive the car 2 maybe 3 times per week...E believe if nothings happens till the next week im clear...

Wavetrac havent even reply on my email.
PATHETIC

Old 02-24-2021 | 10:06 PM
squawSkiBum
I have Ohlins too, and camber plates set to -2 degrees and never had a driveshaft fall out so probably not that Sounds like it is correlated to the install of the Wavetrac diff, which means that either the groove in the diff is in the wrong place or has the wrong dimensions. Let us know what you figure out!

Old 02-24-2021 | 10:44 PM
kaneguy
3rd Gear
Staxtis, I've been following your thread for a while and from my experience you always look to what has changed when problem pops up like this. You mentioned that you changed the diff to a wavetrax and that is what I was suspicious of.

Take a look at this thread from another member who installed a Wavetrac dfiff and is having axle fitment troubles also.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rac-saga.html?

Old 02-25-2021 | 03:19 AM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
I have Ohlins too, and camber plates set to -2 degrees and never had a driveshaft fall out so probably not that Sounds like it is correlated to the install of the Wavetrac diff, which means that either the groove in the diff is in the wrong place or has the wrong dimensions. Let us know what you figure out!
What do you mean with that? Can it be placed wrong?I think the position is one and fixed?Is there anyway the mechanic put "wrong" the diff?
According "wrong dimensions".Of what?Of the axle? Axle is something i didnt change and the car had no problem in several pulls/driving.

Originally Posted by kaneguy
Staxtis, I've been following your thread for a while and from my experience you always look to what has changed when problem pops up like this. You mentioned that you changed the diff to a wavetrax and that is what I was suspicious of.

Take a look at this thread from another member who installed a Wavetrac dfiff and is having axle fitment troubles also.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rac-saga.html?
I will take a good look of the thread however as i can see this guy has a totally different problem since his axle getting tight issues...
However i will take a look and i really thank you sending me this thread.

Bear in mind that i have changed them all together
Suspensions,Camber plates,Diff,Clutch,tune,peripherals,wheels

Old 02-25-2021 | 04:56 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
I have a wavetrac differential myself and no issues with axles popping out. And yes, when the differential is installed the position is determined by the roller bearings pressed onto it. It only goes in one way. I would have a hard time believing your mechanic put it in wrong and still managed to get the transmission back together.

Usually if someone is having an issue with an axle coming out it's because their ride height is too low, however from what you mentioned it doesn't seem like the ride height changed all that much. Were the axles changed or are they original to the car? I know there are two different lengths of R56 axle, I think for pre-LCI and post-LCI cars. I recall changing an axle once and getting one that was too short, and he part number was one number off what I had gotten last time.

Old 03-09-2021 | 01:17 AM
Staxtis
|
3rd Gear
So guys...
I think i found out the reason that the axle was coming out and i also found out 1 more way to fix it.

1. The way i did more "durable" the axle with wavetrac was to make the safety metal ring thinner in order to clip better in the spline/alcove that metal safety clips.
This solve the problem and the axle now fits better.
2. The reason that the axle was coming out though was because of the camber. I thought and first impression was that with much negative camber the distance between the axle will get bigger. HOWEVER the distance that make it bigger is the + camber..
Car has -1 in stock and with Ohlins i made it -2/-2,5 but later because i wanted to make some drag test with Dragy etc etc i made the camber 0 in order to have better friction . Zero camber making the distance bigger so thats why the axle was coming out....And by making the safety metal clip thinner i manage to have better clipping so axle aint coming out anymote even in zero camber.

Thank you all for your time.
Problem solved