Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Sprintex Stage 2 vs JCW vs Harrop TVS900

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2021, 11:52 AM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sprintex Stage 2 vs JCW vs Harrop TVS900

I'm on the last legs of my 2nd supercharger, purchased rebuilt from WMW back in 2012-2013. Lasted me about 80k miles, but I think the noticeable whine disappeared around 50k miles. I am choosing to keep my car since I've done extensive work on it for the past 13 years, and don't really need another car.. so I'm looking to get another SC, but can't find any definitive information on which of these SC options might be best. I don't track, but I am a spirited driver, and I want to make it at least another 80-100k miles in my beloved R53. What would be the best decision, longevity and cost-wise for daily use? Sprintex Stage 2 (~$3500 on outmotoring), JCW ($2k on WMW), Harrop ($3250 on SCOL)? I'm particularly interested in the Harrop TVS900, if it may offer a significant change in performance over the older Eaton design of the JCW.

Thanks!

Old 07-28-2021, 11:56 AM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Oh, I would like to add, I feel like I have engine heat issues - which setup runs coolest? or how can i alleviate the heat besides upgrading the IC?

Thanks again!

Old 07-28-2021, 06:36 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
tvs is newer eaton design and is the most efficient aka coolest running

Old 07-28-2021, 10:37 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
thevast...

To be sure of what you are buying, you need to do some serious homework.
You need to find out what each blower will put out, in cubic inches of air, per...each single 360° rotation of the pulley for the best power.
Remember...pressure equals horsepower AND...heat..! So a QUALITY intercooler (see oem, GT) will be required.

The Harrop with its four lobes will need to spin faster than the OEM blower with it's three lobes. The addition of the fourth lobe, takes up a LOT of air space in the case. So it will need to spin faster than the stock blower to put out the same airflow. But, with the higher helix and the addition of one more rotor lobe per each, its air delivery will no doubt put out a smoother, but lower airflow than the stock blower. OR, have a larger case to make up for the difference. Equaling less heat.

The Sprintex, ideally "should" be the winner because of the rotor and case design, but again, to do its work well, needs to spin faster than the stock blower, BUT it will put out a "smoother" flow than the stock blower. Equaling less air heat.

BUT...all this said, there's a LOT more to each design to make it as efficient as it can be. Namely the design and manufacturing clearances, rotor lobe to rotor lobe clearance, rotor lobe to case clearance, rotor to end plate (front and rear) clearance.

This looks like a LOT of homework to figure out. Unless someone has dyno-tested each of these blowers on the same engine, on the same dyno, with the same operator (this is as important as the other two items), this sounds like a lot of investigative homework.

Unless you have a lot of time, patients, I'd just go for the JCW rebuild / new blower. The rotors need to be coated, the case needs to be unscratched or not remachined.

Best of luck in your search.

Mike

The following users liked this post:
thevastdifference (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 04:19 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Sprintx run really really hot it's a true twin screw.

The new TVS is a longer rotor and does more air per revolution than the m45 (45cc per rev) the stats on every one of the superchargers is posted in the r53 alternate supercharger Facebook group

Old 07-29-2021, 08:08 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
MrBlah -

Well...any chance of getting an address or directions to this Facebook group/page ? Most likely, more than just a couple of us would be interested.

Yes, it's (the Sprintex) the only screw design in the group. Runs hot ? In the original V-8 configurations, they don't run any hotter than a Roots design. Since they don't "pound" the air like a Roots does, they actually run a little cooler from what I've seen over the years. The only reason they'd run hotter is if you put out more boost. Then sure...it would...cause the air to be hotter, the additional "pressure" causes this to happen. I believe I sorta noted this in my above comments.
They are just BIG and expensive.

Mike

Old 07-29-2021, 01:19 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by OCR
MrBlah -

Well...any chance of getting an address or directions to this Facebook group/page ? Most likely, more than just a couple of us would be interested.

Yes, it's (the Sprintex) the only screw design in the group. Runs hot ? In the original V-8 configurations, they don't run any hotter than a Roots design. Since they don't "pound" the air like a Roots does, they actually run a little cooler from what I've seen over the years. The only reason they'd run hotter is if you put out more boost. Then sure...it would...cause the air to be hotter, the additional "pressure" causes this to happen. I believe I sorta noted this in my above comments.

Mike
The Sprintex isn't just hot it's nuclear, same reputation on my other platform around (BRZ/86)

The Facebook group is called r53 alternate superchargers you should be able to search to find it, quite a few are working on m62 superchargers I have one in the garage Almost ready to go on one of my cars

Old 07-29-2021, 01:20 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Originally Posted by OCR
MrBlah -

Mike
The Sprintex isn't just hot it's nuclear, same reputation on my other platform around (BRZ/86)

The Facebook group is called r53 alternate superchargers you should be able to search to find it, quite a few are working on m62 superchargers I have one in the garage Almost ready to go on one of my cars

Also something to point out the Eaton superchargers like the m45, m62 and tvs move the air down the outside of the housing not through the middle of the lobes

Old 07-29-2021, 01:43 PM
thevastdifference
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
thevast...

To be sure of what you are buying, you need to do some serious homework.
You need to find out what each blower will put out, in cubic inches of air, per...each single 360° rotation of the pulley for the best power.
Remember...pressure equals horsepower AND...heat..! So a QUALITY intercooler (see oem, GT) will be required.

The Harrop with its four lobes will need to spin faster than the OEM blower with it's three lobes. The addition of the fourth lobe, takes up a LOT of air space in the case. So it will need to spin faster than the stock blower to put out the same airflow. But, with the higher helix and the addition of one more rotor lobe per each, its air delivery will no doubt put out a smoother, but lower airflow than the stock blower. OR, have a larger case to make up for the difference. Equaling less heat.

The Sprintex, ideally "should" be the winner because of the rotor and case design, but again, to do its work well, needs to spin faster than the stock blower, BUT it will put out a "smoother" flow than the stock blower. Equaling less air heat.

BUT...all this said, there's a LOT more to each design to make it as efficient as it can be. Namely the design and manufacturing clearances, rotor lobe to rotor lobe clearance, rotor lobe to case clearance, rotor to end plate (front and rear) clearance.

This looks like a LOT of homework to figure out. Unless someone has dyno-tested each of these blowers on the same engine, on the same dyno, with the same operator (this is as important as the other two items), this sounds like a lot of investigative homework.

Unless you have a lot of time, patients, I'd just go for the JCW rebuild / new blower. The rotors need to be coated, the case needs to be unscratched or not remachined.

Best of luck in your search.

Mike
thanks for the info! I'm also leaning towards the JCW, WMW states that it's not a rebuilt SC:

https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...ercharger.html

however, now I'm suspecting my engine might need a new head and head gasket, as my ecu is throwing codes even after extensive work has been done to it lately (cylinder 2 misfire especially).. so i found a 2006 r53 engine with 43k miles from one of my parts guys, charging 3500$ for it.

throwing a new sc on a faulty engine might not be the best option at this point, right..

Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by thevastdifference
thanks for the info! I'm also leaning towards the JCW, WMW states that it's not a rebuilt SC:

https://www.waymotorworks.com/john-c...ercharger.html

however, now I'm suspecting my engine might need a new head and head gasket, as my ecu is throwing codes even after extensive work has been done to it lately (cylinder 2 misfire especially).. so i found a 2006 r53 engine with 43k miles from one of my parts guys, charging 3500$ for it.

throwing a new sc on a faulty engine might not be the best option at this point, right..
ive been running the TVs for two years now and love it. I used to run 205-220 eng temp and now it seldom sees 190. I had a TPR2 head with it but never liked the power I was getting so went with RMW and his cam and a big increase in power and way more fun to drive.