Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Now What?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 05:56 AM
RonG
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now What?

I've installed the CAI, the 15% pulley and the Borla sport exhaust. Now what I can't make up my mind about what to do next. I mean whats the next logical step? I've thought about changing the plugs, the ECU, the M7 thermostat etc, etc ,etc. Where is the best place to go from here? If I remap the ECU do I have to change the plugs?, should I change th plugs anyway? What about changing the thermostat to the 180 from M7? Or do I start making changes to the suspension and leave well enough alone? And whatever changes I make will have to meet CARB approval.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow man, you've got yourself quite a dilemma!

Ok, seriously, it's not the end of the world...ask yourself some relevant questions: Do you need more power, or are there other areas of the car (i.e. suspension, brakes, wheels/tires) that need improvement?

Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I you haven't done suspension already, that might be the next item.

I usually do the foot work first, then do the engine mods if at all. :smile:

Old 01-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Wraith1416
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you've got enough power to go on for now, throw some springs, sway bars, and wheels/tires on there. balance is the key

Old 01-17-2005, 10:52 AM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
Originally Posted by RonG
I've installed the CAI, the 15% pulley and the Borla sport exhaust. Now what I can't make up my mind about what to do next. I mean whats the next logical step? I've thought about changing the plugs, the ECU, the M7 thermostat etc, etc ,etc. Where is the best place to go from here? If I remap the ECU do I have to change the plugs?, should I change th plugs anyway? What about changing the thermostat to the 180 from M7? Or do I start making changes to the suspension and leave well enough alone? And whatever changes I make will have to meet CARB approval.
As for logical...you have done all this "breathing" stuff...I.E. intake pulley exhuast...well now manage it...get software....after that though...how about the other important things...like stopping and handling...wheels, Tires, suspension, and brakes...so many people always for get about these...and it's funny to me...cuase they are like well that stuff is expensive...but if you wanna go faster...it's just as important to stop and steer better!...I am sure you are seeing from the other posts...

Old 01-17-2005, 12:25 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
I would agree... springs, rear sway bar, rear lower control arms, then wheels and tires.... once thats done start looking into the engine again.

The stock MINI brakes do a decent job, but you might want to upgrade the pads. EBC Greenstuff pads are good street pads IMHO

Old 01-17-2005, 01:38 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCampos
I would agree... springs, rear sway bar, rear lower control arms, then wheels and tires.... once thats done start looking into the engine again. .......
Not how I did it, but I would agree that this is the best way to go.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Galaxie500
2nd Gear
The GIAC ECU software is a natural and relatively inexpensive (about $325) next step for the engine, as I believe they have a re-map based specifically on the mods you have (15%, CAI and cat-back). You can find many posts here with opinions as to how it works. And no, you don't have to change your plugs if you install the GIAC.

If you want to improve ride (and possibly acceleration) get lighter wheels and non-runflats. You may also want a short-shifter to increase fun factor.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:18 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Your jouney has just begun Just bring lots of money, we'll give you plenty of ideas

Old 01-17-2005, 04:39 PM
RonG
2nd Gear
I knew I'd come to the right place! I just love how you guys spend my money. But your right, you should never have to justify your hobbies. I think the next mod I make will be with the suspension. Should I install a sway bar first, end links or control arms? Is one brand (make) better than another?
Brakes and tires are going to have to wait until I wear the oem stuff out. My wife doesn't understand the hobby rule.:smile:

Old 01-17-2005, 05:23 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Yo Ron, good to see another MINI in the NorCal area. Just so you know, there is a drive coming up with GoldCountryMINIs called the Burger to Burger run... starting in Auburn and ending in Yuba city.... I KNOW I will be there and probably a couple of other modded MINIs... maybe you could get a feel for what to do a bit better if you hang out with a few guys with mods and check out their cars (click the link below to see what I have).

If you looked, you will see that I prefer the H-sport suspension parts, also known as Hotchkis to other car makes. If I were you, I would do rear sway bar and springs first, then finish the job off later with some control arms eventually (at the same time if possible.... easier install). If you need a cheap installer, look no further. Ive done all of my mods myself and I am going to be installing springs and possibly a sway bar for another MINI enthusiast next weekend.

See ya around

Old 01-17-2005, 05:28 PM
kapps
6th Gear
There are a lot of manufactures making swaybars for the MINI. Some are 2 way and others are 3 way adjustable. The general consensus is that the H-Sport is the best as it has greased fittings so it doesn't squeek and doesn't require re-lubing. Go for a 22mm (or 25mm h-sport) so you can get the best range of adjustment from street to race.

As for end links, you will probably need to upgrade them with the swaybar. There have been a few stories of end links breaking with stiff aftermarket swaybars. If all you do is street driving, you don't need to upgrade them right away but you should keep it in mind if you like taking fast corners.

Control arms aren't really needed unless you really plan on tracking the car or lower it. They are probably overkill on a street machine. I'll let others reccommend a brand...

Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kapps
There are a lot of manufactures making swaybars for the MINI. Some are 2 way and others are 3 way adjustable. The general consensus is that the H-Sport is the best as it has greased fittings so it doesn't squeek and doesn't require re-lubing. Go for a 22mm (or 25mm h-sport) so you can get the best range of adjustment from street to race.

As for end links, you will probably need to upgrade them with the swaybar. There have been a few stories of end links breaking with stiff aftermarket swaybars. If all you do is street driving, you don't need to upgrade them right away but you should keep it in mind if you like taking fast corners.

Control arms aren't really needed unless you really plan on tracking the car or lower it. They are probably overkill on a street machine. I'll let others reccommend a brand...
Well, I agree on the H-sport stuff for sure, but not so with having to do the endlinks. The factory links hang in there just fine, but an upgrade would be good at a later time when your just looking to spend some $$.
The lower rear control arm should be installed if you go with the H-sports or else you will have uneven tire wear. I would certainly recommend them sooner then later.

Try and do the springs and rear sway bar at the same time as you need to remove one rear shock to do the sway bar anyway. When you have both rear shocks off it makes the job that much easier.
When doing the lower control arm isn’t not necessary to remove anything but maybe the wheels.
You are about to receive added smileage!

Old 01-17-2005, 09:34 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wheels and Tires! No question about it. It is a weak link. If you haven't done so already, W's & T's! S-Lites are bricks.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Suspension (springs, struts) would have been first for me, so I would do that next. Maybe add some sway bars while you're at it.

Then I'd do wheels and tires.

As far as more power I'd do GIAC and some larger injectors.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:25 PM
RonG
2nd Gear
Ok you guys have me convinced. Sway bar and suspension will be next. All I need to do now is start shopping. Thanks guys.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
Youll love the rear sway bar... stick it on the middle setting and mash it into a corner