Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 11:28 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
But the price is nice! Who's gonna do a low buck header shootout?

Matt
I need to "retrack" that it looks like the MTH header, even though i think it does. ANDY from Ross Tech quickly pointed out differences.

Old 10-13-2005 | 05:19 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Who cares who they copied!

Originally Posted by Bahamabart
I need to "retrack" that it looks like the MTH header, even though i think it does. ANDY from Ross Tech quickly pointed out differences.
The price is still pretty attractive!

Matt

Old 10-13-2005 | 05:54 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys honestly think about that header?

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:22 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I get a broken link...

Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotor...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you guys honestly think about that header?
But if its the same one listed before that sold already, it LOOKS like a header, and it comes with a cat replacement. But it's 2.25" pipe out the back, not 2.5" so it will bolt up nicely to the stock exhuasts. But for $200 compared to what else is out there, it's worth a try!

The OBX I got wasn't perfect, but it was inexpensive, and does add power. I'm happy.... I'm sure those that buy this one will be happy too!

Matt

Old 10-13-2005 | 06:45 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
for a stock set-up (catback) exhaust its ok,

but why would u want it w/a 2.25" exit if ur runin' a 2.50" Milltek for example

But if its the same one listed before that sold already, it LOOKS like a header, and it comes with a cat replacement. But it's 2.25" pipe out the back, not 2.5" so it will bolt up nicely to the stock exhuasts. But for $200 compared to what else is out there, it's worth a try!

The OBX I got wasn't perfect, but it was inexpensive, and does add power. I'm happy.... I'm sure those that buy this one will be happy too!

Matt

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
It's not perfect,

Originally Posted by joker

but it's better. Right now I'm runniing the OBX into the stock cat and one-ball. Not as good flow as it could be, but better than stock!

Matt

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:03 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Just to complicate your life - before you buy the OBX header there is another header being offered on EBAY for 200.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...spagenameZWDVW

Some have said it looks like the PILO header - I don't know that but I do know it looks like the header being offered by MTH.

So you have your choice between two designs 4-2-1 or 4-1
Thanks, I picked it up, now I'll have 2 and will compare them and see which one I'll keep, sounds like this one would be good for the stock system and I'll have the OBX if I ever buy a 2.5" exhaust.
I'm comparing exhausts right now and it looks like I might end up with the Milltek at this point, so I think I'll be using the OBX header.
Winter project, as if I didn't have enough already...

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:40 PM
04yellowS
3rd Gear

Is it just me or does the flange on the header look vertical when mounted? And if that is the case, will the race pipe actually fit to the exhaust if it is on the header? It just looks like if I rotate the race pipe to fit the header, it won't line up to the diagonal exhaust flange...'cause it doesn't look like the flanges are the "floating" kind.

Maybe it will....it's a little hard to envision @ 1245 AM.

Old 10-13-2005 | 11:23 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
hmmm!

..& how are u seein' this again!?!!?
Originally Posted by 04yellowS

Is it just me or does the flange on the header look vertical when mounted? And if that is the case, will the race pipe actually fit to the exhaust if it is on the header? It just looks like if I rotate the race pipe to fit the header, it won't line up to the diagonal exhaust flange...'cause it doesn't look like the flanges are the "floating" kind.

Maybe it will....it's a little hard to envision @ 1245 AM.

Old 10-13-2005 | 11:43 PM
zrwon
4th Gear

I guess it would work with Borla and Quicksilver and maybe a few others?

Old 10-14-2005 | 03:59 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
I think its just the pics that are creating any illusion of "vertical".

Atleast we have 2 options now in the 200.00 price range -

OBX 4-2-1
this one - 4-1

options are Good

Old 10-14-2005 | 06:41 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
ZRwon, let us know how those 'two' werk out for u!!

that's kool that u have 'two' to fool w/.....

will be lookin' around for a set myself soon so interested on the amount of tone change after the manifold is in place!!!
Originally Posted by zrwon
I guess it would work with Borla and Quicksilver and maybe a few others?

Old 10-14-2005 | 06:53 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I have the obx but I modified it slightly. I ground off the part of the flange that holds the dougnut gasket and made a pipe similar to the one in the picture of the latest header. ( the resonator pipe ) Now I have a 2 bolt flange on either side of the cat and a flex just like the stock header and the one in the picture. Also since the obx is 2.5 I made sure the piping I used and the flanges and flex were also 2.5. Runs great and sounds great.

Best part is there is no issue getting gaskets because they are all the comon 2 flange type shown in the picture, a couple bux each and readily available unlike the dougnut that comes with the obx.

Old 10-14-2005 | 07:02 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
right~0n

U right...
it is better than a poke in the eye!!
but it's better. Right now I'm runniing the OBX into the stock cat and one-ball. Not as good flow as it could be, but better than stock!

Matt

Old 10-14-2005 | 07:58 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Im runnin the 1-ball so it should be fine....Im goin to order it when i get home.

Old 10-15-2005 | 09:08 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Got the OBX header installed at Helix last week. I'm glad Eric charges a flat rate for this -- the job took ~ 6 hrs. Well, some of this time was waiting for the header to cool off after I arrived, and then Eric had to run out for SS welding wire. But I think the OBX header was on and off the car about 5 times getting it to fit. Two of the bolts had to be replaced with studs, and some of the bolt holes had to be opened up.

In spite of this, it is good improvement. The whole speed-torque curve seems to be shifted about 500rpm - in other words, it now pulls as well at ~2500rpm as it did at 3000. Really makes the car more fun to drive. Previously, when I launched without quite enough gas for the clutch release, the engine would bog for a second. No more. It just pulls through. Hills that used to require a down shift from 4th to 3rd don't anymore. This mod is similar to the pulley, makes you wonder why it wasn't like this from the factory.

The header does add a bit of noise at times, occaisonally a resonance in the cabin around 4000rpm. But mostly, the sound is just slightly different, a bit deeper and/or more raspy. Overall, I'm happy with the choice of changing the header rather than the more conventional route of a cat back.

Old 10-15-2005 | 10:48 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
off ur manifold what exhaust do u run, or is this a one nut/ball?
is the drone real heavy to where it shakes the car.
Originally Posted by inimmini
Got the OBX header installed at Helix last week. I'm glad Eric charges a flat rate for this -- the job took ~ 6 hrs. Well, some of this time was waiting for the header to cool off after I arrived, and then Eric had to run out for SS welding wire. But I think the OBX header was on and off the car about 5 times getting it to fit. Two of the bolts had to be replaced with studs, and some of the bolt holes had to be opened up.

In spite of this, it is good improvement. The whole speed-torque curve seems to be shifted about 500rpm - in other words, it now pulls as well at ~2500rpm as it did at 3000. Really makes the car more fun to drive. Previously, when I launched without quite enough gas for the clutch release, the engine would bog for a second. No more. It just pulls through. Hills that used to require a down shift from 4th to 3rd don't anymore. This mod is similar to the pulley, makes you wonder why it wasn't like this from the factory.

The header does add a bit of noise at times, occaisonally a resonance in the cabin around 4000rpm. But mostly, the sound is just slightly different, a bit deeper and/or more raspy. Overall, I'm happy with the choice of changing the header rather than the more conventional route of a cat back.

Old 10-16-2005 | 10:12 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
off ur manifold what exhaust do u run, or is this a one nut/ball?
is the drone real heavy to where it shakes the car.
The stock cat & exhaust. There's really no drone, just a point on the rpm band where the header seems to drive the cabin at some sort of resonant frequency. Nowhere near to the point of shaking the car. Goes away at higher & lower rpms. I bet most of the performance-oriented people here wouldn't give it a second thought, but since this is the first car I've done any mods to I'm probably a bit more sensitive to this sort of thing.

Old 10-19-2005 | 07:38 AM
renzos
Neutral
Hi, do you know where can I buy this item:

Old 10-19-2005 | 08:33 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
A couple of guesses

Originally Posted by renzos
Hi, do you know where can I buy this item:(pic removed for sanities sake)
Try Supersprint, or the OBX guys. But the OBX guys seem to have a hard time with idividual parts.

Matt

Old 10-19-2005 | 09:34 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
You should be able to get this made up (perhaps not in SS) from any Midas type shop that has a pipe expander.

Old 10-19-2005 | 09:45 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Try Supersprint, or the OBX guys. But the OBX guys seem to have a hard time with idividual parts.

Matt
Yep, he sure does, I still haven't got the missing one, seems like he may have sold it to someone else and ship me one without it, going on 3 weeks, still waiting for the missing parts.

Old 10-19-2005 | 09:54 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
will the OBX header work with Miltek cat back??

Old 10-19-2005 | 10:06 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skuzy
will the OBX header work with Miltek cat back??
OBX/Milltek would be the perfect set up since both are 2.5", someone had this done on an 05 Cabrio and posted yesterday, that might be what I'll do once I decide which header I'm using.

Old 10-20-2005 | 03:25 AM
RED FURY
5th Gear
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A HORRIBLE PIECE OF METAL ... POOR FIT

Originally Posted by inimmini

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!