Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005 | 05:18 AM
skuzy
5th Gear
how much louder will the headers make the exhaust??

Old 10-20-2005 | 08:19 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
the exhaust is 2.5 but not all the way to the tail, its smaller into the canisters!!
Originally Posted by zrwon
OBX/Milltek would be the perfect set up since both are 2.5", someone had this done on an 05 Cabrio and posted yesterday, that might be what I'll do once I decide which header I'm using.

Old 10-20-2005 | 09:41 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by skuzy
how much louder will the headers make the exhaust??
My experience not much but a bit deeper sounding.

Old 10-20-2005 | 09:38 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
If there are two....

Originally Posted by joker
the exhaust is 2.5 but not all the way to the tail, its smaller into the canisters!!
then it's not that bad. Depends on the different radius of the tube.

And horrible piece of metal? For a~$600 difference in price, I'd put up with a stud or two....

Matt

Old 10-20-2005 | 09:46 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Smaller? how much smaller and the canister are you talking about resonator or muffler?

Old 10-20-2005 | 09:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
A little math goes a long way...

Smaller? how much smaller and the canister are you talking about resonator or muffler?
for the exhaust that split into two pipes, the diameter must be at least 71% (or 1.77") to maintain cross sectional area. Because of boudary conditions, this should probably be bumped up to 1 7/8 or 2".

Matt

Old 10-20-2005 | 09:51 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
"two" what?
is the second sentence directed towards me?
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
then it's not that bad. Depends on the different radius of the tube.

And horrible piece of metal? For a~$600 difference in price, I'd put up with a stud or two....

Matt

Old 10-20-2005 | 10:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Sorry, not enough info in the post.

"two" what?
is the second sentence directed towards me?
Red Fury called the OBX a "horrible piece of metal". From price performance, I don't agree. I had one stud I had to use. I think someone else had to use two. Still, at less than a third of the price of most competitors, it's a value. But the Pilo Racing Header is close in price (now, wasn't available when the thread started), so the balence is changing.

The other reference was speakiing to "not being 2.5 inches all the way back". Here, when the pipes split into two, the cross sectional area of the two pipes has to be at least as much as the larger pipe.

Since I don't know you, I don't know if you're a Stud or not!

Matt

Old 10-20-2005 | 10:41 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Old 10-20-2005 | 10:56 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by skuzy
$230? I bought the OBX and am missing parts, then I bought the other one on ebay (I haven't got it yet) but now you show me this one and it looks so much better, now if I buy this one too, I'll have 3 to chose from but will have spent more than the Milltek after shipping on all 3, man sometimes I wish I would wait a little, at the time all I could find was $800 or the OBX at $175, so I bought the OBX and now there's all kind of others surfacing.
I will wait for the exhaust, otherwise I'll run into the same BS again.
Thanks for sharing though, now I wish I wouldn't have bought anything yet.

Old 10-20-2005 | 11:55 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
zwron i have the same feeling.

try selling some of your parts.?

btw see the other thread u posted on about exhausts (i may have made thigns worse with ur options )

Old 10-21-2005 | 02:10 AM
johnD
Coordinator :: ClubMINI.ph
But the 2 headers aren't exactly the same, so there are other factors to consider other than the price and fitment issues. The OBX/Supersprint header is a 4-2-1 header, which means the gains are in the lower part powerband than with a 4-1. I think for the street the OBX/Supersprint would still be best, but for the track, maybe a 4-1 (Pilo, Milltek, etc.) is better. Just my two cents. :smile:

John

Old 10-21-2005 | 03:54 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johnD
But the 2 headers aren't exactly the same, so there are other factors to consider other than the price and fitment issues. The OBX/Supersprint header is a 4-2-1 header, which means the gains are in the lower part powerband than with a 4-1. I think for the street the OBX/Supersprint would still be best, but for the track, maybe a 4-1 (Pilo, Milltek, etc.) is better. Just my two cents. :smile:

John
Its just a matter of what you are seeking to accomplish. AND isn't it nice to have choices for 200.00 I did the the OBX and am very pleased with the results.

Old 10-21-2005 | 04:47 AM
skuzy
5th Gear
iam seriously considering OBX header simply because of its low cost.. if i had money to blow it would be MTH header. but going ot cost me too much.

Old 10-21-2005 | 07:14 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
right~0n!

so ur sayin' that as long as the flange is as big as the pipes b4 the smaller pipin' begins then its all good?
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Red Fury called the OBX a "horrible piece of metal". From price performance, I don't agree. I had one stud I had to use. I think someone else had to use two. Still, at less than a third of the price of most competitors, it's a value. But the Pilo Racing Header is close in price (now, wasn't available when the thread started), so the balence is changing.

The other reference was speakiing to "not being 2.5 inches all the way back". Here, when the pipes split into two, the cross sectional area of the two pipes has to be at least as much as the larger pipe.

Since I don't know you, I don't know if you're a Stud or not!

Matt

Old 10-21-2005 | 07:58 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
im pretty sure its 2" it looks smaller but i doubt it.....

well its much smaller than the the rest of the pipin' (from cat to rear flange) It looks to be 2" after the rear flange it all goes down to the canisters & out in this smaller diameter.

i had the 'playmini/Scorpion' & it wuz BIG & i mean BIG the whole system wuz huge, the canisters and all ( no resonator) the pipe wuz 2.5" from tip to tail & the canisters were huge compared to the Milltek, but they hung low in the rear which for me wuz a major turn~off. //the playmini made up for the straight pipe by addin' bigger canisters.//
but that system (Playmini) is key if u want to stay w/a true 2.5" non resonated exhaust!!!! its a real NiCE piece if i had my choice in tips & canister size i would have run the playmini!! but oh well im on to my next big MOD (header) now so it will do.
BTW the tone of both these systems ROCK. & i've heard a slew of different exhaust's out there by far these are the best!!!

Old 10-21-2005 | 06:09 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RED FURY
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A HORRIBLE PIECE OF METAL ... POOR FIT
Well, the OBX does have some fitment issues, but horrible is a bit harsh. Apparently, my install was tougher than most, but the end result rocks. I don't know if a header tends to "break-in" like an exhaust, or if the ECU has learned better how to run the motor, but the resonance I mentioned earlier seems to be gone, and the pull at low rpms is just plain great!

It looks like the newest low cost header shown in post #358 would not have the same fitment problems as the OBX, since the pipes appear to join the cyl head flange at a 90 deg angle, whereas the OBX are more slanted. This slant causes the difficulty in bolting it up. However, if the 4-1 design does not bring the torque improvement of the OBX (Supersprint) 4-2-1, would still go with the OBX, in spite of the finicky install.

Old 10-21-2005 | 06:13 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
what were ur issues?

u mentioned 'difficult to bolt up' wuz this it? as far as "issues"

Originally Posted by inimmini
Well, the OBX does have some fitment issues, but horrible is a bit harsh. Apparently, my install was tougher than most, but the end result rocks. I don't know if a header tends to "break-in" like an exhaust, or if the ECU has learned better how to run the motor, but the resonance I mentioned earlier seems to be gone, and the pull at low rpms is just plain great!

It looks like the newest low cost header shown in post #358 would not have the same fitment problems as the OBX, since the pipes appear to join the cyl head flange at a 90 deg angle, whereas the OBX are more slanted. This slant causes the difficulty in bolting it up. However, if the 4-1 design does not bring the torque improvement of the OBX (Supersprint) 4-2-1, would still go with the OBX, in spite of the finicky install.

Old 10-21-2005 | 08:51 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
what were ur issues?

u mentioned 'difficult to bolt up' wuz this it? as far as "issues"
Read post #366

Old 10-21-2005 | 08:56 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
********** post 366 *********

i did read this b4 but totaly wuz lost for a minute...
....thx
Got the OBX header installed at Helix last week. I'm glad Eric charges a flat rate for this -- the job took ~ 6 hrs. Well, some of this time was waiting for the header to cool off after I arrived, and then Eric had to run out for SS welding wire. But I think the OBX header was on and off the car about 5 times getting it to fit. Two of the bolts had to be replaced with studs, and some of the bolt holes had to be opened up.

In spite of this, it is good improvement. The whole speed-torque curve seems to be shifted about 500rpm - in other words, it now pulls as well at ~2500rpm as it did at 3000. Really makes the car more fun to drive. Previously, when I launched without quite enough gas for the clutch release, the engine would bog for a second. No more. It just pulls through. Hills that used to require a down shift from 4th to 3rd don't anymore. This mod is similar to the pulley, makes you wonder why it wasn't like this from the factory.

The header does add a bit of noise at times, occaisonally a resonance in the cabin around 4000rpm. But mostly, the sound is just slightly different, a bit deeper and/or more raspy. Overall, I'm happy with the choice of changing the header rather than the more conventional route of a cat back.

Old 10-23-2005 | 08:25 PM
ripley
3rd Gear
OK, so I'm getting ready to make this mod but there seems to be some issues with the flange bolts. I assume it's because of the angle of the pipes. True? Just so I'm prepared, what size and length of studs are required?

thx, ripley.

Old 10-23-2005 | 08:49 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ripley
OK, so I'm getting ready to make this mod but there seems to be some issues with the flange bolts. I assume it's because of the angle of the pipes. True? Just so I'm prepared, what size and length of studs are required?
Right, the way (some of the) pipes angle, you can't get the bolts started in the threads. The interference is greatest when the bolt is all the way out, i.e., if you could get it started, the clearance opens up as the bolt screws in. That is why a stud (meaning a threaded rod) works in this case, since you can first screw it into the cyl head, then put on the header, and add a nut to the short end on the stud poking thru the header flange. The short protrusion of the stud gives a bit more clearance for the nut.

I don't know the size Eric used, but obviously the threads & diameter are the same as the header bolts, and the length looked to be around 1".

Old 10-23-2005 | 09:16 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
i watched an install on this but w/a different header & they had a hard time w/this same issue (bolts) mayb its not the header but the angle...is all!
Right, the way (some of the) pipes angle, you can't get the bolts started in the threads. The interference is greatest when the bolt is all the way out, i.e., if you could get it started, the clearance opens up as the bolt screws in. That is why a stud (meaning a threaded rod) works in this case, since you can first screw it into the cyl head, then put on the header, and add a nut to the short end on the stud poking thru the header flange. The short protrusion of the stud gives a bit more clearance for the nut.

I don't know the size Eric used, but obviously the threads & diameter are the same as the header bolts, and the length looked to be around 1".

Old 10-24-2005 | 07:43 AM
ripley
3rd Gear
Has anyone installed one of the 4-1 units yet??

Old 10-25-2005 | 06:29 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
can u blokes with the obx/miltek combo pls post some CLIPS!!

cheers

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!