Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005 | 06:30 AM
NYMINIME
3rd Gear
OBX installed..

Thought I share my recent install (8/2) with the forum. Performance mods before the OBX header are Helix19%, JCW Injectors, Alta CAI, Borla Race, & GIAC. The only person that I allow to molest my MCS is of course Eric@ Helix. I must say the workmanship and professionalism that was put into this install was highly professional and immaculate.

Fitment was quire precise as long as the installer does a good job with the welding and fitting of the connecting flang to the primary catalytic converter.

As far as performance gains, despite the 98 degree plus temperature/humidity, I immediately felt the boost in the torque department and with a much deeper exhaust tone. Just as the previous posts claimed, a noticeable difference is felt throughout the RPM range and the car does pull stronger all across the powerband. For the money, we are getting our bang for the buck fellas! Now, I can spend the money saved on some aftermarket seat brackets for my cf seats. Less weight more power! :-) Good luck guys! Cheers!

Sam

Old 08-04-2005 | 09:06 AM
MINIAACK
1st Gear
I just got a set from ebay yesterday. brand new 175 plus shipping

Originally Posted by onasled
Anyone

Old 08-12-2005 | 07:50 AM
mpimini
Neutral
I got one

I had mine installed yesterday and can really tell a difference in the tone of the exhaust and the pull of the car. I thought everyone was joking about the amount of torque you gain with this header. I'm sold. Now for my borla exhaust.......

Old 08-14-2005 | 11:58 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Mine goes in on Thursday....

The header, Magnaflow CAT, 2.5" SS tubing, some sort of muffler (not sure yet), cooper rear lower valence, exiting to one side. Should be lighter, louder, and faster. If it's too loud, I'll had a ressonator after the CAT. I'll be taking some photos during the install, so I can post, even though I won't be doing the work (can't weld....)

I'll post impressions, and try to get before and after G-Tech runs to see what the difference is.

Matt

Old 08-14-2005 | 03:33 PM
namwob
5th Gear
OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!-obx_cat_flexjoin.jpgDon't over tighten the flex clamp or it won't flex except by destroying the donut. You can double nut if concerned about loosening.
The nice thing about this system (seperate cat) is that you can ceramic coat the inside of the header also. If you intend to coat the cat also I would recomend doing the fitting & welding first, using an aftermarket cat so you can reinstall the oem system while coating the other. Also you can eventually sell your stock setup to someone who burned theirs out & wants to remain stock.
Jet-hot is good, but I'm partial to Polymer Dynamics, plus I work there.

Old 08-14-2005 | 07:51 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Matt, looking forward to the completion of your exhaust project... and I can't wait to hear it!

namwob, besides working there (Polymer Dynamics), are there other reasons why one of us should choose them over the likes of JH? With so many folks, maybe you can hook us up with a nice discount

Old 08-14-2005 | 08:30 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TonyB
Matt, looking forward to the completion of your exhaust project... and I can't wait to hear it!

namwob, besides working there (Polymer Dynamics), are there other reasons why one of us should choose them over the likes of JH? With so many folks, maybe you can hook us up with a nice discount
The coatings are similar if not the same. 2-3 week turnaround :same What is the cost of Jet Hot less cat/ with cat? The owner will be back in town mon. of nxt. week. I'll see what he is willing to do.

Old 08-14-2005 | 08:56 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Originally Posted by namwob
The coatings are similar if not the same. 2-3 week turnaround :same What is the cost of Jet Hot less cat/ with cat? The owner will be back in town mon. of nxt. week. I'll see what he is willing to do.
I think someone earlier in this thread got a quote from JH, but I can't quite remember the figure. I think around 200 or so? I'll do a search now... Here we go, post #163, from good ole Norm!

Tony, I didn't see a reply by you about a quote from hpcoatings. So I asked for one and they blew my socks off, I didn't ask for gold plating just the stuff they recommend for a supercharged engine.
[size=2]Following is the quotation you requested;

Part(s): One piece all Stainless Steel 4 cylinder header for a 1.6 liter

supercharged engine. (This header is smaller than one side of any V8

header set.) < my description per jlm's recommendation about size.

Coating: HiPerCoat Extreme, .013-.015 mil thickness, black or gray in color

(Please specify). Mask as required.

Quantity: This quotation is based quantity of 1 units.

Freight: Customer is responsible for delivery both inbound and outbound.

Delivery: Delivery of 2-3 business weeks.

Valid: This quotation is valid for through 9/9/05.

Terms: Cash On Delivery.

Cost: $325.00 per unit.

I have a quote from jet-hot for $175.00, don't remember if that was with shipping have that at home in the packet they sent. This is more in line but still a little high, cost more than the header.
Anyone have any experience with their heat coatings??
===========

Old 08-15-2005 | 07:58 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Jet-Hot

The total cost from them was $175.00 for Sterling coating. My cost of shipping to them was about $7.00.
Still waiting on my backordered CAT. The .5" thick 2.5" ID two bolt flange from RaceEngineering should show up today. This will be welded on to the CAT for connection at the Magnaflow (sweet sounds). It was made for a Evo 02 sensor down pipe Mod. but should work great on my configuration.
The other end connecting to the header will use the OBX provided socket and donut.
The job Jet-Hot did on my header is almost to pretty to hide, but looks aren't the intent.
Question for you guy's, how many of you got a new exhaust flange gasket with your OBX header? < not talking about the donut

Old 08-15-2005 | 08:13 AM
dcummings
1st Gear
OBX header

I got the head to header gasket with mine.

Old 08-15-2005 | 09:24 AM
namwob
5th Gear
The normal price for coating a 4 cyl. header @ Polydyn is $150.

Old 08-15-2005 | 10:41 AM
nerd
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Question for you guy's, how many of you got a new exhaust flange gasket with your OBX header? < not talking about the donut
Mine didn't come with one. I'm going to try to track down one today.

Old 08-15-2005 | 11:59 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
I would rather have only spent $150.00... but

Originally Posted by namwob
The normal price for coating a 4 cyl. header @ Polydyn is $150.
my moneys been spent, so it's a bit late for me. I found your companys web site, not much detail on the header stuff. Have you used this header coating on your parts?

Old 08-15-2005 | 05:45 PM
nerd
2nd Gear
Is this header gasket over at minimania.com fine? linky I bought my headers in April and just now getting motivation to put them on. I didn't have a gasket in the box. I did have the doughnut, go figure.

Old 08-15-2005 | 07:12 PM
namwob
5th Gear

my moneys been spent, so it's a bit late for me. I found your companys web site, not much detail on the header stuff. Have you used this header coating on your parts?
The only things I've coated on this Mini are the stock header, intake & intercooler air ducts & exhaust tips.

I don't think it was a good idea to ceramic coat intake & air ducts. Intake maybe. these three pieces have a very slippery teflon coating in the inside also.

Old 08-16-2005 | 03:03 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
nerd

That is an OEM header gasket they are selling at minimania, I have a new OEM one from my dealer. Someone here had posted a picture of a composition gasket that came with their header. I was looking at that type because it would be easier to port match to my header flange.This type allows for irregular surfaces to seal due to greater compressabilty. The OEM one offers better heat transfer so I'll stick with it.
That header sure looks alot like a OBX

namwob, think your right about ceramic coat on the intake parts, dosen't the teflon coating act as an insulating compound too?
Do they or have you seen any supercharger internal coating work done there?
You must have an engineer on staff to determine what coatings to use for different applications.
I bookmarked the site for future reference on parts coating. Thanks

Old 08-16-2005 | 06:20 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Ok....someone tell me real quick cuz im to tired to read back this thread.......Does the OBX bolt right up with no cutting,welding or anything needed to install it???

Old 08-16-2005 | 06:46 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Yes and no....

Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Ok....someone tell me real quick cuz im to tired to read back this thread.......Does the OBX bolt right up with no cutting,welding or anything needed to install it???
so you have to read to find the details!

The deal is that the header bolts right on, but has a mating flange that needs to be welded to SOMETHING. Your options are

No cat, weld to tubing.
Stock cat, cut and weld original header.
Aftermarket cat, weld to flange, and then figure out what to weld on the end!

Matt

Old 08-16-2005 | 07:23 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
TY for doin my dirty work.

Now does it throw a CEL without the cat and do i need a O2 sim?

Old 08-16-2005 | 08:55 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
TY for doin my dirty work.

Now does it throw a CEL without the cat and do i need a O2 sim?
I would think as long as you place a cat upstream of the 02 sensor, you won't throw a CEL.

I can tell you for certain that the OEM cat welded to the mating flange does not throw a code. Several months and no CEL.

Old 08-16-2005 | 09:10 AM
namwob
5th Gear
That is an OEM header gasket they are selling at minimania, I have a new OEM one from my dealer. Someone here had posted a picture of a composition gasket that came with their header. I was looking at that type because it would be easier to port match to my header flange.This type allows for irregular surfaces to seal due to greater compressabilty. The OEM one offers better heat transfer so I'll stick with it.
That header sure looks alot like a OBX

namwob, think your right about ceramic coat on the intake parts, dosen't the teflon coating act as an insulating compound too?
Do they or have you seen any supercharger internal coating work done there?
You must have an engineer on staff to determine what coatings to use for different applications.
I bookmarked the site for future reference on parts coating. Thanks
The teflon coatings don't act as an insulator like ceramic or paint. I'm in the middle of doing a friend's 1275 cc turbo head for his mini. Teflon inside & out including water passages,excluding manifold & head gasket surfaces & intake ports. Also exhaust ports & combustion chambers which are getting the gold ceramic coating (^ 2000 deg.f) along with the top & backsides of the exhaust valves. The intake ports would have gotten teflon if it were port fuel injected.
Most of the superchargers we have done are the huge ones strapped on those 1/4 mi. extension ladders with wheels.We do many turbos for supras & wrx etc.
Experience determines what coatings you need.A large pool of racers & teams provide some of the best R & D feedback. Also a chemist tucked away to help with those subtle changes to make these coatings even better.

Old 08-16-2005 | 09:56 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BluMiniMe
I would think as long as you place a cat upstream of the 02 sensor, you won't throw a CEL.

I can tell you for certain that the OEM cat welded to the mating flange does not throw a code. Several months and no CEL.
Is there a power loss putting the cat back on to the header?

Old 08-16-2005 | 10:56 AM
agile_moments
4th Gear
I've read all 9 pages of this thread just now, so if I missed something, please excuse me. I've found the OBX header, and I'm looking into getting this. Now, if I go with an aftermarket cat, am I going to have to add some extra pipe or something to get the cat to mate with a Milltek catback? And are the pictures posted on page 4 the pictures that would need to be shown to a welder to get the OEM cat cut off and put on the OBX header?

Old 08-16-2005 | 12:31 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
I posted those pictures. You use those pictures to show the welder where to cut the OEM cat and also where to weld it to the OBX header. You should be able to tell where the OEM cat was cut from them. If you use an aftermarket cat, YES you will have to add a pipe and a mating flange to connect to the Miltek catback. AND you have to make sure that the added piece allows for intallation of the Oxygen Sensor after the cat, or you will have an "engine service" light on. That is why is much easier to just cut the stock header. Regardless if you are using the OEM catback or other, you have to let the person doing the cat welding make any adjustments while the OBX header and catback are already installed.

Bomboasy

Originally Posted by agile_moments
I've read all 9 pages of this thread just now, so if I missed something, please excuse me. I've found the OBX header, and I'm looking into getting this. Now, if I go with an aftermarket cat, am I going to have to add some extra pipe or something to get the cat to mate with a Milltek catback? And are the pictures posted on page 4 the pictures that would need to be shown to a welder to get the OEM cat cut off and put on the OBX header?

Old 08-16-2005 | 12:37 PM
DaKineMINI
6th Gear
Does anyone know if the SS "test" pipe and/or SS Race Cat (the ones listed for MCS) work as a direct bolt-on with the OBX (since people are saying it seems to be a copy of SS header)?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX-Racing Header Dyno Results!