Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain R53 Manual Trans, fresh install, not going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 04:40 PM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 242 Likes on 168 Posts
R53 Manual Trans, fresh install, not going into gear

I posted here to see if I get a few more eyeballs on this to see if I can avoid pulling everything all over again to find the issue.

Car is 2006 MCS manual. 05/06 build date.

If some of you have been following my other thread here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ome-ideas.html You'll know that I've been doing a bit of a refresh. As we installed the engine yesterday and started the final button up today we ran into an issue:

Before we installed the engine, I made sure the transmission levers moved freely. (The two on the top that connect the the shift cables and the one at the bottom that is depressed by the slave cylinder and holds the throw out bearing) Once installed, these levers do not want to move much at all. At least the one closest to the passenger side and the one at the bottom. So, I figured that maybe it's just the angle so I affixed the new shifter cables and tried. When I affixed the shifter cables there's one that is weighted and one that is not. The one that is weighted I placed closest to the driver side and the other cable closest to the passenger side. Maybe this is incorrect? Not sure. Could not find a pic to confirm and the service manual is useless for this also.

I seem to get 1st and 2nd but cannot even get into neutral. The shifter is literally "stuck" canted toward the driver.

We bled the clutch (It's still very soft) - even having been compressed while we bled it. Can't seem to move the lever it pushes (throw out bearing cross lever) even by hand- like it's jammed- unless it's supposed to be that hard. I don't think I've ever tried to push it by hand. I know it takes some force to push the throw out bearing against the clutch plate tines.

Neither axle has been installed. (Could this be an issue?) And there is no fluid inside (should still move as I was able to move stuff on the bench)

Not sure what the heck the issue is. Never had one do this before. Really don't want to take the whole thing out again.

I need some ideas. What do you transmission experts think?

Last edited by Boostmaster; 09-04-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:59 AM
Boostmaster
4th Gear
Received 242 Likes on 168 Posts
found the issue. See the other thread so I don't have so many running simultaneously.