Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain More HP from improved grounding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More HP from improved grounding?

Yes, I'm skeptical, but I ran across this on another s/c forum, and apparently magazines such as Import Tuner have tested and verified the gains. I'm still skeptical, but hopefully those of you in the know can fill in the blanks. Here's the site for the manufacturer: http://www.speedoptions.com/eh/default.htm

Old 01-29-2005, 09:00 AM
sright
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO data to back up the claims . Definately helps with the build up of static charges which would help with radio clarity and would offer some safety benfit.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:03 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
A local person was selling this "system" of grounding with the idea it worked so he wanted a MINI to put it on to show. I went to his place, poped the bonnett and he looked and said he didn't see anywhere to ground it that wasn't already done. He decided not to make it for the MINI.

Earl

Old 01-29-2005, 09:10 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
total b.s. to scam the technically illiterate. may as well get a tornado gizmo while you're at it......

i suspect the testing of the "imrovements" is like that claimed from some spark plugs and from some ignition gizmos. if the components, especially spark plugs, are old (or here, you have a bad ground), you can show improvements by just replacing the old part with a new one of the identical part. so if you replace the old worn one with your gizmo and show improvement, well, then, yessiree, bob, we have the engine elixir right here......

Old 01-29-2005, 10:42 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
I went digging to try to find the article in Import Tuner that was mentioned at the other forum. Couldn't find the article, but found several references to the product on other tests the magazine has performed. Ended up going to the website of the company, and here's what I found (with dynos): http://www.sunautomobile.com/
I'm STILL skeptical, but this tweaks my interest.

Old 01-29-2005, 06:49 PM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
for any of these devices, the proper proof of benefits is not only a test, but also a rational, scientific explanation of the the physical phenomenon involved.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:34 AM
CAMOTOY
1st Gear
yea, back from the dead i know :D

I did end up making these kits after a friend talked about getting shocked all the time getting out of her car. With the kit, it seemed to diminish some. As for making the car faster, better, who knows. I do know that most people that have bought it, have liked it.

Shane

Originally Posted by 10851CS
A local person was selling this "system" of grounding with the idea it worked so he wanted a MINI to put it on to show. I went to his place, poped the bonnett and he looked and said he didn't see anywhere to ground it that wasn't already done. He decided not to make it for the MINI.

Earl

Old 05-19-2005, 10:51 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Magazines are worthless. Any advertiser can buy an editorial and results. I know first hand

Old 05-19-2005, 11:01 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CAMOTOY
I did end up making these kits after a friend talked about getting shocked all the time getting out of her car. With the kit, it seemed to diminish some.
Now that would be a worth while product. I hate getting zapped everytime I get of the MINI.

Old 05-19-2005, 11:19 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
Yes, I'm skeptical, but I ran across this on another s/c forum, and apparently magazines such as Import Tuner have tested and verified the gains. I'm still skeptical, but hopefully those of you in the know can fill in the blanks. Here's the site for the manufacturer: http://www.speedoptions.com/eh/default.htm
i have to say.. it does work on some cars like WRXs b/c their factory ground set up is a good as none.

so when you ground the car you get improved the voltage power and that will help your improve your spark at high RPM... or "more HP"

now minis are well grounded from the factory... you can test it yourself, all you do is get a voltimeter and test different parts of the engine bay.

my advice... dont waste your time, unless after the testing you find that the areas you tested are not well grounded.

Carlos

Old 05-19-2005, 12:57 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
These things are discussed fairly routinely on the VW/Audi 1.8T forums. Generally small skirmishes break out between the kool-aid drinkers and the nay-sayers with no proof of performance/lack of performance to be shown from either camp.

Stopping the shock from getting out of the car would be nice, though I only notice it in the cold months.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:04 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinR
Stopping the shock from getting out of the car would be nice, though I only notice it in the cold months.
Getting shocked while getting out of the car comes from the clothes you are wearing. Has nothing to do with the cars grounding.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Agree with ScottinBend. This device would have no effect on static charges, the shock from which comes from a difference in potential between you and the car. Either you or the car acts as a capacitor holding the charge until enought voltage exists to jump the gap, measured in thousands of volts.

Only a poor connection between the car and battery would be helped by this device.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Getting shocked while getting out of the car comes from the clothes you are wearing. Has nothing to do with the cars grounding.
You would be better served by the installation of a grounding strap the goes from a good ground on the frame and extends down to touch the earth beneath the vehicle. That would disapate the static spark generated between the clothing and the car.

Have you ever noticed little antenna on the ground as you approach a toll booth? They are there so that you don't shock the attendant while handing them the toll. Same idea.

Old 05-19-2005, 06:42 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
Originally Posted by KevinR
These things are discussed fairly routinely on the VW/Audi 1.8T forums. Generally small skirmishes break out between the kool-aid drinkers and the nay-sayers with no proof of performance/lack of performance to be shown from either camp.
...boy, I'm sure glad that never happens on this forum...

Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 PM
CAMOTOY
1st Gear
yea, no kidding :D

Old 05-19-2005, 08:18 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't think I can drive around naked...

Old 05-20-2005, 07:32 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
That may be the case, I just notice that the MINI is the only car that I have owned (or still own) that I get shocked nearly every time I get out of it (and no, I don't wear the same clothes all the time ).

Old 05-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
...boy, I'm sure glad that never happens on this forum...