Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Megan Axle-back for R56 N18 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2024, 05:37 PM
WillCucco
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan Axle-back for R56 N18 MCS

Does anyone in here have experience with some of the universal mufflers offered by Megan Racing? Apologies in advance if this has been talked about before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

What I've done already (to change the sound):
Res and 2nd cat delete (still have OEM cat and muffler)
Turbo muffler replaced with M7 boost pipes
Cold air intake

What I'm looking for in terms of sound:
You ever hear an OG BMW M2 (2017 F87) with the upgraded exhaust? It sounds like it's singing - it's very vocal, but it sounds like the car equivalent of an brass instrument and it's pleasant to listen to. I understand that I'm not going to get a sound like that from a 1.6 liter 4 banger... BUT I can certainly try. I don't want my car to be loud, a little louder than it currently is with the res and 2nd cat delete is ok, but not too much louder.

What I'm looking at:
I haven't found any reviews or sound clips of these Megan mufflers on an R56, so I'm curious to see if anyone has any opinions or other suggestions. I'm looking at the Megan mufflers because they're relatively inexpensive, but they appear to have a good fit and finish and a reputable brand name. I'll paste the links to the ones I'm looking at below.

https://meganracing.com/exhaust/exha...lers/mr-mu-mdf

https://meganracing.com/exhaust/exha...lers/mr-mu-mdt

https://meganracing.com/exhaust/exha...lers/mr-mu-mrs

Also feel free to let me know if any of those mufflers are complete rice. I don't want to be the base spec Civic covered in drillium at 2:00 in the morning.

If you have any other muffler suggestions that align with what I'm looking for, hit me with them. I'm sure I've missed some.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by WillCucco; 08-01-2024 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Change title
Old 08-02-2024, 08:19 AM
Northern
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought my R56 with stock downpipe, but deleted second cat/resonator, and a small unknown muffler.
It was loud as hell, not outside, but inside the car at highway RPMs. You'd start getting a headache around the 10-15minute mark.

I added a vibrant ultraquiet resonator back into the midsection, but it was still far too loud.
I think the stock muffler does a hell of a lot for the volume/drone.

Basically just a warning that any straight-thru muffler you replace the stock one with may make more of a difference than you expect, and you may want to keep the idea of adding something back into the midsection in the back of your head.

If I went back, I would throw a whole muffler (like a single in/out Vibrant streetpower) in the midsection, as big as would fit. For the rear muffler though, the Vibrant stuff with tips are all really expensive now, that said, the quality is great.

The following users liked this post:
WillCucco (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 09:15 AM
WillCucco
Neutral
Originally Posted by Northern
I bought my R56 with stock downpipe, but deleted second cat/resonator, and a small unknown muffler.
It was loud as hell, not outside, but inside the car at highway RPMs. You'd start getting a headache around the 10-15minute mark.

I added a vibrant ultraquiet resonator back into the midsection, but it was still far too loud.
I think the stock muffler does a hell of a lot for the volume/drone.

Basically just a warning that any straight-thru muffler you replace the stock one with may make more of a difference than you expect, and you may want to keep the idea of adding something back into the midsection in the back of your head.

If I went back, I would throw a whole muffler (like a single in/out Vibrant streetpower) in the midsection, as big as would fit. For the rear muffler though, the Vibrant stuff with tips are all really expensive now, that said, the quality is great.
What's your setup now? Do you like what you've done with it, or are you still on the same setup? I'm a college student, so I'm trying to get the best bang-for-buck I can find, however I'm ok not doing anything if I can't find the right solution. I've never been in another Mini with an exhaust like mine, but I don't seem to get any drone from the 2nd cat/res delete like some people say. It's actually not a whole lot different inside unless I'm getting on the throttle (I did also get some sound dampening materials professionally installed in my doors, hatch, and floorboards though). A lot of times I'll drive with both windows open just to hear the exhaust. The last thing I want is drone, but I wouldn't mind hearing a little more of the exhaust without the windows open (a lot of times the engine noise is louder than the exhaust noise inside the cabin lol).

Last edited by WillCucco; 08-02-2024 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:26 AM
Northern
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Last year the car failed inspection for the front flex joint being cracked, so I pulled the trigger on a Scorpion resonated catback - mostly because it seemed like it sounded good, was 2.75", and didn't have a bunch of people complaining about how loud it was (like the AFe setup for example lol).

Unfortunately I am not particularly happy because the muffler necks down from 2.75" to like 1.9" right after the entrance, so it's a huge bottleneck. The center resonator isn't much different.

Wish I knew that before I bought it, but it'll do for the next year where I just want the car back on the road. Maybe I'll replace the muffler, or more likely try to sell it to recoup cost and try something else.

Old 08-02-2024, 11:28 AM
WillCucco
Neutral
Originally Posted by Northern
Last year the car failed inspection for the front flex joint being cracked, so I pulled the trigger on a Scorpion resonated catback - mostly because it seemed like it sounded good, was 2.75", and didn't have a bunch of people complaining about how loud it was (like the AFe setup for example lol).

Unfortunately I am not particularly happy because the muffler necks down from 2.75" to like 1.9" right after the entrance, so it's a huge bottleneck. The center resonator isn't much different.

Wish I knew that before I bought it, but it'll do for the next year where I just want the car back on the road. Maybe I'll replace the muffler, or more likely try to sell it to recoup cost and try something else.
Ah man, that sucks. I hope you find what you're looking for. And if you do, let me know what it is