Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Milltek exhaust steel flanges?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024 | 11:09 AM
olamini
|
Neutral
Milltek exhaust steel flanges?

I was recently shopping around for a stainless steel exhaust for my R53. My primary goal was to not have to deal with exhaust rust issues again (I'm in the northeast), and I wanted a relatively quiet/drone-free exhaust. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on this initially and even considered a $250 ebay system. After watching a bunch of videos and reading many posts on the various exhausts and their sound I ended up ordering the resonated catback Milltek system, thinking that it'd be quiet and quality so it's worth the extra $$. Cue my disappointment when the exhaust arrived last week and I discovered the flanges are steel, not stainless.

I really want to make it easy to drop the exhaust in the future and prevent any rust-caused damage, so much so I'm considering returning the exhaust in favor of another unit. My question is: does anyone know a system that's still available that is *completely* stainless?

If there's no better option, I was thinking of painting the flanges, which I know won't last all that long but might help keep the mating surfaces/bolts a little easier to deal with. For those with the Milltek's installed, how are they holding up (esp. if you live in an area where they go trigger happy with road salt in the winter)?

Old 09-03-2024 | 05:18 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Considering the thickness of the flanges and the overall quality MILLTEK, I suggest you keep it and purchase a small can of Molybdenum Disulfide or Nickel Antiseize and give the flanges a good coating of the stuff. It won't burn off and will protect from corrosion.

Old 09-06-2024 | 10:34 AM
olamini
|
Neutral
Thanks for your reply. I haven't heard of putting antiseize grease on exhaust--is that something you have done before? Has it held up better than high heat paint?

Old 09-06-2024 | 12:28 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
I don't have your harsh environment but I do tend to think it will. It will also aid in taking it apart whenever you chose to do so whereas paint will not.

Old 09-12-2024 | 11:57 AM
OutlandishnessDue
3rd Gear
I have an Invidia set up and had no idea that the flange material might differ from the stainless used elsewhere. Being in Chicago, non-stainless flanges would suck but to Trackrat's point build quality does matter. Sure enough, the flanges on an Invidia are stainless as well. Here are the specs from their website:
  • Piping Diameter: 60mm diameter
  • Piping Thickness: 1.5mm
  • Piping Material: 304 Stainless Steel
  • Piping Finish: Polished
  • Flange Material: Cast 304 Stainless Steel
  • Resonated: Yes
  • Single/Dual Exit: Dual
  • Muffler Style: Cannon
  • Tip Quantity: 2
  • Tip Material: 304 Stainless Steel
  • Tip Finish: Polished
  • Tip Diameter: 80mm
  • Included Hardware:
    • Gaskets
    • Nuts/Bolts
    • Silencer
Finally, I frickin' love how the exhaust sounds - it's just fantastic. You can find a recording towards the end of my build thread if you'd like a listen.

Old Yesterday | 03:27 AM
olamini
|
Neutral
Thanks both for your replies! I listened to the Invidia exhaust and it does sound good!! But, I think it is louder than the Milltek and I would be worried I'd get tired of the sound on long trips. I'm thinking I'll stick with the Milltek since it's considered one of the quietest aftermarket options and just deal with the rusty flanges. I'll try to combat corrosion as best as I can.
I bought a can of zinc coating (ZRC 10000 Cold Galvanizing Compound) spray and I'll try that on the flanges when I install.
Appreciate the advice!