Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain TRUE Light Weight Vibration Damper Replacement Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 02:09 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jlm
i don't think it is at all clear why (if at all) a belt with a 19% pulley is short-lived on the track. here are some factors:

the stock pulley is 2.6" dia, 15% is 2.2 dia, the 19% is 2.0 dia so the diameter, and pretty much the wrap, for the 19% is about 10% less for the 19% compared to the 15%

with the larger crank pulley, the belt is travelling about 5% faster, so...
with the 15% pulley you have 10% more wrap, but 5% more belt speed compared to the 19%.

theory #1 is that it is the tightness of the radius around the pulley that will eventually stress the belt to failure, but I'm not sure the 10% dia. difference between 15 and 19 is significant.

theory #2 is that a faster travelling belt will wear out faster than a slower one.
The 15% to the 19% is 2 things, first is a less drastic bend around the pulley, and second, it's more surface area on the pulley. The first, I'm not 100% sure how much it affects the belt. I'm not sure is an issue of speed as much as it is an issue of slipage. I thnk that is the largest cause for belt failure. Any chance that you can reduce slipage, it will conserve belt length. I agree that the belt will more faster, and cause the alternator to turn faster, but the amount of HP drawn from the Alternator Vs. the Supercharger is almost nothing, for 1, it is not doing anything other then spinning against a small magnetic force, and 2, it has a much larger surface area to the belt for very little, if no chance of slipage. Let me know if this helps you

Old 03-08-2005, 02:58 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniPilo
The 15% to the 19% is 2 things, first is a less drastic bend around the pulley, and second, it's more surface area on the pulley. The first, I'm not 100% sure how much it affects the belt. I'm not sure is an issue of speed as much as it is an issue of slipage. I thnk that is the largest cause for belt failure. Any chance that you can reduce slipage, it will conserve belt length. I agree that the belt will more faster, and cause the alternator to turn faster, but the amount of HP drawn from the Alternator Vs. the Supercharger is almost nothing, for 1, it is not doing anything other then spinning against a small magnetic force, and 2, it has a much larger surface area to the belt for very little, if no chance of slipage. Let me know if this helps you
Dan,
I cant really follow what you're saying. Would you mind editing this post so its understandable? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:15 PM
jlm
6th Gear
my point was that the belt as it flexes around pulleys is subjected to stress related to both the belt speed and inversely, the pulley radius

Old 03-08-2005, 04:35 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by macncheese
Dan,
I cant really follow what you're saying. Would you mind editing this post so its understandable? Thanks.
I'll try to organize my thoughts..

JLM Stated 2 things.

First that the Radius has an effect to the belt life
Second that the speed has an effect.

What I was trying to state that both of those are factors in belt length, but the largest factor to a failure of a belt is slipage. That has the largest effect on the belt, first being friction of the belt slipping against the pulley, second being heat.

With a larger diamater pulley, both the crank and the SC Pulley (not stating there is any slipage on the stock crank pulley) there will be more contact area of the belt and the SC pulley. This enlarged contact area will help the belt drive the supercharger, with a less chance for slipage.

Lets say that on average a belt with no slipage can last 15K miles. If it runs 5% faster, that means that it will traverse the pulleys 5% more in that same ammount of time, so you may only get 14250 on the same belt. Again that is with no slipage. Now, if you bring slipage into the mix, as seen with the heat generated on a track event, you can go though a belt in a very short time. Say 1-2 track events as shown by the failures that we have seen. If by increasing the contact patch of the SC pulley, you can either severly reduce the chance for slipage, or eliminate it, then you can go many more events with out a failure.

Again, this is all theory right now, but it seems to make sense to me. Let me know if this clears it up for you.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:56 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MINIPilo, how does your pulley compare size-wise to the Alta aluminum crank pulley?

Old 03-11-2005, 01:09 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
MINIPilo, how does your pulley compare size-wise to the Alta aluminum crank pulley?
I don't believe that they have released an oversized pulley. So ours is 5% larger.

For anyone that wants the stock size pulley, we can make them as well, for the same price.

Old 03-11-2005, 01:25 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
I don't believe that they have released an oversized pulley.
Here's the thread with their info: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=39154

Old 03-11-2005, 01:37 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Then we are about 3% larger then what they have. I'm not sure what their exact sizes are, but if you go to the first page, you will see our information.

Old 03-12-2005, 08:59 AM
gclass
2nd Gear
Sale

Dan, do you have this item available for sale, are u providing the belt along with the pulley?????

Old 03-12-2005, 01:34 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gclass
Dan, do you have this item available for sale, are u providing the belt along with the pulley?????
It will be released for sale soon. it is in the testing phase. Depending on need, a belt may be included.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:54 AM
MadMick
2nd Gear
2% advantage?

Hi Dan,
here in germany we do a lot of high rev and high speed driving on our autobahn (with no speed restriction ). Most of us using 56,5mm pully, 15% reduction, a 19% reduction is (I guess) to much considering our driving caracteristics.
Are you able to produce a 2% or 3% bigger crank pully instead of your 5% increase?
Best regards,
Mick

Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MadMick
Hi Dan,
here in germany we do a lot of high rev and high speed driving on our autobahn (with no speed restriction ). Most of us using 56,5mm pully, 15% reduction, a 19% reduction is (I guess) to much considering our driving caracteristics.
Are you able to produce a 2% or 3% bigger crank pully instead of your 5% increase?
Best regards,
Mick
We can make any custom size.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:35 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
I only plan to test this unit in comparison to diffrent setup's of Supercharger pulleys. There would be a bit more HP gained most likely on a solid pulley, but I do feel that having an effective vibration damper with a gain in HP is a better solution for most people then the little bit more they may gain with the solid pulley.
Dan, have you had any chance to do any tests/compile any results?

Old 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Dan, have you had any chance to do any tests/compile any results?
When I am done testing, I will post all results.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:37 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
When I am done testing, I will post all results.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:45 PM
jlm
6th Gear
some more reading about torsional dampers:

http://www.fluidampr.com/problem.htm

Old 03-27-2005, 03:33 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
Dampers

Originally Posted by jlm
some more reading about torsional dampers:

http://www.fluidampr.com/problem.htm
Many thanks for the reference. I'll try to track down the SAE paper from 1979, unless you can post it .

It appears that the problem of crankshaft torsional vibration may be quite important for very high performance applications such as drag racing. Perhaps one can extend the logic to modified Minis that are taken to the track? How about fairly aggressive street driving? Would you also comment on the use/availability of a fluid damping system in a Mini that is pulling 200+ whp?

Thanks,

Old 03-27-2005, 03:59 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Many thanks for the reference. I'll try to track down the SAE paper from 1979, unless you can post it .

It appears that the problem of crankshaft torsional vibration may be quite important for very high performance applications such as drag racing. Perhaps one can extend the logic to modified Minis that are taken to the track? How about fairly aggressive street driving? Would you also comment on the use/availability of a fluid damping system in a Mini that is pulling 200+ whp?

Thanks,
Just so that you know that our dampers are based on a straightforward clutch/brake design. Over 20 years of experience (from our Manufacturer) have proven that the clutch/break design is superior in dampening torsional vibrations and durability. The design might be simple, but there is nothing simple about the craftsmanship and performance built into each and every damper. Also, Our damper uses neither liquids, which gel or leak, nor rubber, which loses elasticity. Our design is simple and based on a concept so successful that it has been used longer than any other damper design.

We believe that Dampening is very important to a higher performing mini's engine.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:21 PM
dcummings
1st Gear
Lightweight Damper

Are you going to offer this damper in only 1 oversize? I am interested in a unit that will bring me from a 15% to a 19% overdrive of the supercharger. The reason I'm talking in percentages is that I want to use it with a software program designed for a 19% overdrive of the supercharger. I think that most tuners work to tune their software to a certain pulley as that is a popular upgrade. I don't have a booste gauge so I don't have a way to gauge any differences in boost,but I do know what percentage of overdrive to specify.
I guess that it's the long way of saying that I would be interested in a oversize that brings me to the same supercharger speed as a 19% pulley while keeping the 15% pulley. I think that a lighter weight, oversize damper is the soundest solution to get to 19% without the belt durability problems that some people have experienced.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:52 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dcummings
Are you going to offer this damper in only 1 oversize? I am interested in a unit that will bring me from a 15% to a 19% overdrive of the supercharger. The reason I'm talking in percentages is that I want to use it with a software program designed for a 19% overdrive of the supercharger. I think that most tuners work to tune their software to a certain pulley as that is a popular upgrade. I don't have a booste gauge so I don't have a way to gauge any differences in boost,but I do know what percentage of overdrive to specify.
I guess that it's the long way of saying that I would be interested in a oversize that brings me to the same supercharger speed as a 19% pulley while keeping the 15% pulley. I think that a lighter weight, oversize damper is the soundest solution to get to 19% without the belt durability problems that some people have experienced.
AS posted on the first page

i've done a few calculations using these numbers:

stock crank: 5.46"
oversize crank: 5.76"
stock pulley: 2.59"
15% pulley: 2.2"
19% pulley: 2.1"

adding to a stock supercharger pulley set up is like a 5% reduction:
5.46(2.59)/5.76=2.46" so 2.46/2.59=0.95

adding this crank pulley to a 15% set up will make it the same a 19%:
5.76/2.2=2.62 and 5.46/2.1=2.60

adding to 19% set up:
5.76/2.1=2.74
2.74(7000rpm)=19180 superchrger rpm @ 7000rpm
and
5.46(2.1)/5.76=1.99 so 1.99/2.59=0.77, which is like a 23% reduction!

eek

Old 03-27-2005, 07:09 PM
RECOOP
4th Gear
.........We believe that Dampening is very important to a higher performing mini's engine.
Do you see any potential problems using a lighter crank pulley if the car has a lightened flywheel? Thanks,

Old 03-30-2005, 04:48 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Do you see any potential problems using a lighter crank pulley if the car has a lightened flywheel? Thanks,
I do not forsee any problems. We are handling Harmoncs with the Damper, so operations should be the same as with the stock Damper.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:11 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Just an update. We are just about ready for production. Having to make one change to the Pulley, and it will be set.

Just a side note on Harmonics and Harmonic Dampers. The harmonic damper does not aid in the balancing of the Crank Shaft. I've see it stated that the Crank shaft is Balanced to a tolerance of Grams. This does not apply towards the use of a Harmonic Damper. The Harmonic Damper's Function is to Dampen the Vibrations Created by the Pulse of the Combustion Cycle.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:42 PM
gollygwagen
Is there a group buy currently?

Old 04-19-2005, 05:40 PM
cdconsor
4th Gear
if there is, I'm in.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain TRUE Light Weight Vibration Damper Replacement Crank Pulley