Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain TRUE Light Weight Vibration Damper Replacement Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:43 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdconsor
if there is, I'm in.
I would be willing to have an initial offering sale if there is enough demand. I am waiting on a small redesign of our mounting hub, and once complete, We should be available for retail sales. This should be completed very soon. We are very happy with the results so far, and will only release them when we are ready for retail sales...

Old 04-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Morales
4th Gear
Any idea on price? I'm in on a group buy.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:08 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniPilo
Pricing Structure:
Retail pricing will be $409.00
If there is enough interest for a group buy of 7 or more, I can lower the price to $350.00
This is the pricing I have from the first page. This is still accurate.

Thanks
Dan
Pilo Racing

Old 04-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Add me to the list....

I'll get one at the special price when you're ready. I'm looking for 2% (already have a 15% pully). Just don't tell my wife....

Matt

Old 04-29-2005, 11:33 PM
chrisw765
1st Gear
im in let me know

Old 04-30-2005, 06:35 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
I'll keep you all updated. I'm just waiting on the final version to show up to install, then it is all set.

Old 04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan, I know you had talked previously about sharing your test/evaluation results - will this final version of the pulley be the one to generate the results, or ...? Thank you again for the upcoming offer of this product.

Old 04-30-2005, 04:55 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
looks like this crank pulley must be doin somethin better than the alta for the over 150 buck difference.... what is the biggest difference aside from the fact you guys have the vib dampener

im almost ready to pull the trigger, but i'd love to hear long term effect on the belt, especially paired with a 15% pulley

Old 05-01-2005, 06:45 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
looks like this crank pulley must be doin somethin better than the alta for the over 150 buck difference.... what is the biggest difference aside from the fact you guys have the vib dampener

im almost ready to pull the trigger, but i'd love to hear long term effect on the belt, especially paired with a 15% pulley
That is the diffrence though. This is not just a puley cut out of aluminum, but a full working Vibration Damper. It's not a matter of how it effect belt wear as much as is saves the crank, bearings, and other internal parts.

The belt wear on a 15% is about the same then as with the stock crank pulley. The main diffrence is that your performance is closer to that of a 19% pulley but has that better belt wear.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:13 AM
eVal
6th Gear
I'd like to know more about it after the retail product is out and,of course, any special price break options :smile:

Old 05-04-2005, 05:31 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Also interested. Install sounds like a pain, though.

Old 05-04-2005, 05:43 AM
meb
6th Gear
I'm very interested...but a little nervous; you wrote "closer to a 19%". I have an 05 JCW. The additional 2% effectively equals a 17% reduction pulley? If so, I'm in. But I do not want to spin the SC faster than is equivilant to a 17% pulley. Thanks.

Michael

Old 05-04-2005, 06:33 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
We can get diffrent sizes of pullies. I have a 5% now, but a 2% can be made with out any problems.

With the proper Tools, The install is alot easier then ever the Super Charger Pulley. There is a lot more room to work, and the tools are made by Mini so they work just as intended.

As I stated Earlier, I am waiting on a small revision to make it ready to sell, then We can discuss a group buy and such.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:26 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
I would also be interested in a 2% as opposed to a 5%. Would the custom size come along with a custom price, or will you just be offering multiple sizes?

Old 05-04-2005, 07:56 AM
cdconsor
4th Gear
I'm more interested in 5%. Say... since we've talked about group buys, would we need to do 2 separate group buys, one for 5% and one for 2%? or can we group them together? Also how many would we need to constitute a group buy?

Thanks

Chuck

Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 AM
uae mini
3rd Gear
Same price as stated earlier.

Nice job there Dan
I haven't forgotten about the UUC thing... still dealing with the exhaust (a few innovative bugs to fix).

Originally Posted by SumWon
I would also be interested in a 2% as opposed to a 5%. Would the custom size come along with a custom price, or will you just be offering multiple sizes?

Old 05-04-2005, 04:34 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RECOOP
Many thanks for the reference. I'll try to track down the SAE paper from 1979, unless you can post it .

It appears that the problem of crankshaft torsional vibration may be quite important for very high performance applications such as drag racing. Perhaps one can extend the logic to modified Minis that are taken to the track? How about fairly aggressive street driving? Would you also comment on the use/availability of a fluid damping system in a Mini that is pulling 200+ whp?

Thanks,
I ran them for over 20 years. Ran the same one on 2 differnet engines for more than 5 years. 320HP on the first and 350+ on the second. I've also had friends run them on 600+ hp big blocks.
Personally run dozens of 1/4 mile times and lots of stupid street antics and never had an issue. Never known anyone with an issue.

The day Fluidamper starts selling one in OEM dialneter for the MINI I'll be buying one.
Granted, the MINI engine is far more refined than the dinosaur engines I played with but I'd still think it was money well spent.

RECOOP..

A better damper is an even better bargain with lightened FW/clutch combos.
I ran those as well.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:56 AM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cdconsor
I'm more interested in 5%. Say... since we've talked about group buys, would we need to do 2 separate group buys, one for 5% and one for 2%? or can we group them together? Also how many would we need to constitute a group buy?

Thanks

Chuck
I would probably need to hold 2 diffrent group buys for each size because there are production needs that have to be met for each size. When I get my final unit, and finish testing, I will sit down and figure out all the costs and pricing with him for diffrent production size runs.

The good thing is that the retail price for any size is the same, so all things being equal, I can do any size for the same price, at the same given quantities.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:49 PM
DunWaiten
2nd Gear
Vibration damping similarity to stock?

Can you say how the damping provided by this device compares with the stock unit?

I would think that, to be effective, the natural frequency of the outer ring vs the hub, in torsion about the crankshaft axis, would be similar to that of the stock unit, which the engine designer would have determined as optimum, and the energy absorption of the elastomeric material would be equal or greater than stock.

Old 05-05-2005, 07:55 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DunWaiten
Can you say how the damping provided by this device compares with the stock unit?

I would think that, to be effective, the natural frequency of the outer ring vs the hub, in torsion about the crankshaft axis, would be similar to that of the stock unit, which the engine designer would have determined as optimum, and the energy absorption of the elastomeric material would be equal or greater than stock.
Yeah! What he said

Old 05-06-2005, 04:36 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear

The Pulley is designed to have similar dampening charecteristics to the stock pulley. Thoght there is no Elastomeric Material, but a clutch/break design.

Old 05-06-2005, 05:40 PM
DunWaiten
2nd Gear
How does a clutch/brake style damper work?

Thanks for the info MiniPilo. After looking at the photos in post #1, I incorrectly assumed this was an elastomeric type damper, with the black ring on one face being the elastomer.

I've read about elastomeric and fluid-damped types, and also the "Rattler" type. But, I haven't been able to find any info about a clutch/brake type, at least via Google searching. I'd like to learn how such a design works. Can anyone here point to a description of this type?

Old 05-06-2005, 06:11 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Thanks for the info MiniPilo. After looking at the photos in post #1, I incorrectly assumed this was an elastomeric type damper, with the black ring on one face being the elastomer.

I've read about elastomeric and fluid-damped types, and also the "Rattler" type. But, I haven't been able to find any info about a clutch/brake type, at least via Google searching. I'd like to learn how such a design works. Can anyone here point to a description of this type?
Basically there are 2 major parts to the pulley, The Center is the Clutch and the outer aluminum hub is the brake portion. There is a spring loaded center hub that is putting pressure onto the inside of the pulley, this unit is held in place by friction of the inner brake surface. When there is vibration, it is absorbed by the inner clutch, and converted to heat via friction. The inner surface will out last a rubber damper by a long while, so there is no worry of the brake surface wearing out. It is a very basic design, but extremly effective. Let me know if there are any other questions.

Another topic that is out there is the weight of this product. Remember, lightening the damper does help a bit, but that is not going to be where your power comes from. Remember how much rotating mass there actually is including the Fly Wheel (much heavier, and larger diamater), Pistons, Rods, Crank, etc. So even though you can remove some weight from the pulley, as all Crank Pullies are doing, most of the gains that you will see in performance is from increased boost.

Also we are by no means bashing any one elses products, just stating the facts about why dampers are a very important and that they were added to your S for a reason

Last edited by MiniPilo; 05-06-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:24 PM
MiniPilo
6th Gear
Good News... I just got confirmation that our final version is heading to be built on wednesday. That means I get to do my final fit testing, and performance numbers. Expect the release hopefully by the end of this month.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:44 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Will it be on schedual? I want one .

Quick Reply: Drivetrain TRUE Light Weight Vibration Damper Replacement Crank Pulley