Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain SPI Twincharged MCS Race Program: Progress Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 08:36 AM
mini d
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is stage one for sale?

Just checking

Old 03-25-2005, 08:47 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
stage 1 is ready and has been ready for a yr

Old 03-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by camelpilot
That trumpet nearly had me balling.
Uh, did you mean bawling , or did that trumpet REALLY excite you??

Great write-up - THAT is a product announcement!

Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 AM
SPITech
Banned
Originally Posted by mini d
Just checking
Yes! The stage 1 kit IS for sale and we have sold several already over the past year. If you are interested feel free to call or PM me or Hubie anytime. This goes the same for everyone else.

Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Detroit Tuned just bought a kit and will be installing it in about 4 weeks along with a full write up of how we like the kit along with it being for sale on our web site. We will also offer full support for the kit as we do with every product we sell. This is a very exciting time around the Detroit Tuned garage!

Last edited by Detroit Tuned; 03-25-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:11 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by agokart
Detroit Tuned just bought a kit and will be installing it in about 4 weeks along with a full write up of how we like the kit along with it being for sale on our web site. We will also offer full support for the kit as we do with every product we sell. This is a very exciting time around the Detroit Tuned garage!
I thought you guys were going to run the autorotor? what happened?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Not sure where you heard that from. We looked into kits for a customer and this was in our minds the best on the market.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
pcnorton
5th Gear
Wow. Now someone needs to make a clear bonnet. Shame to hide that. Very nice product.

Paul

Old 03-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After spending years doing everything I could to every Honda engine I could get my hands on...its nice to be a part of something new again This will be my choice when my warranty runs out, hands down. Thanks for doing the dirty work.

-Jake

Old 03-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Fireballed Hubie
Former Vendor
Funny you mentioned that since our background is from the Japanese side of the import performance aftermarket. New and exciting is exactly why we chose the Mini Cooper when we were deciding on a platform to develop and showcase our performance products.

Originally Posted by Coop d'etat
After spending years doing everything I could to every Honda engine I could get my hands on...its nice to be a part of something new again This will be my choice when my warranty runs out, hands down. Thanks for doing the dirty work.

-Jake

Old 03-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Fireballed Hubie
Former Vendor
We are excited to add Detroit Tuned to our growing list of authorized dealers and installation centers.
Their knowledge of the car and the industry is an asset to all Mini enthusiasts and we look forward to our future relationship and their support of our products.

SPI Powerexcel

Originally Posted by agokart

Old 03-25-2005, 12:01 PM
05JCWS
6th Gear
Actually it does look pretty cool. I would love to see a video of this car in action.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TWINCHRGDMINI
Funny you mentioned that since our background is from the Japanese side of the import performance aftermarket. New and exciting is exactly why we chose the Mini Cooper when we were deciding on a platform to develop and showcase our performance products.
I've been building honda D series engines for the past 8 years or so. Always liked the underdog Looking foreward to using your products once my MCS arrives

Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 PM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Very Nice!

thats what im talking about! with that HP man that thing is got to fly!

now can you post some Video or sounds clips....? im sure im not the only one what would like to hear/see that thing is action

keep up the good work!

Old 03-25-2005, 04:36 PM
minicoop78
4th Gear
great writeup guys we need to get together again soon. Where did you dyno at? If you were at dyno chip i will kill you being that I live 3 min from there.

anyway great job. cant wait for $$$$$ to buy one.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:42 PM
SPITech
Banned
Originally Posted by minicoop78
great writeup guys we need to get together again soon. Where did you dyno at? If you were at dyno chip i will kill you being that I live 3 min from there.

anyway great job. cant wait for $$$$$ to buy one.
We usually dyno at Arizona Dyno Chip (http://www.arizonadynochip.com/), which is fairly close to our office. If you ever want to stop buy feel free, just call and make sure we are there!

Old 03-25-2005, 05:52 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Cool info
Cool pics
Can't wait to see what you guys post on Andy's 1/4 mile timesheet

Unfortunately for me, these kits are too much all at once, though. I wish there was a way to piece them together like you can with the bolt-on SC reduction pulleys, intakes, etc. Whatever vendor can figure that out will have a gold mine, because I know there are a lot of people like me: ambitious HP goal, willing to invest the money...but can't fork it all over at once. Also, there is something very satisfying about the timeline of the project itself. Adding a performance part here, and then a part a few months later, makes for a nice intimate evolution. With all of that said, if I had the money, I'd probably jump on the twincharge in a second...too fast and too beautiful to pass up. Good luck with the sales guys. Thanks for pushing the technology.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
And the price is??????

Excellent! Great stuff.

How much is the entry fee to this kind of fun??
What is the install time?
Warranty?

Don't ya think having a Quaife would be a good idea with this kit?
Otherwise, maybe wheelspin city.

Shucks, my stut tower brace won't fit.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Cooper_Si
4th Gear
can the stock gearbox take this amount of power ?

Old 03-26-2005, 07:56 AM
SPITech
Banned
Originally Posted by Cooper_Si
can the stock gearbox take this amount of power ?
We are still running on the stock 6-speed and haven't had any problems. An upgraded clutch would definately be recommended, altough we went on the stock clutch for approximately 12000 miles. Quaife would also be a good idea but not necessary. We are not running any lsd and don't have any problems, but as with most upgrades I'm sure it'd help .

Old 03-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Fireballed Hubie
Former Vendor
Stage one kit retails for $5850.00 and comes complete with every component necessary to twincharge the Mini. For 2005, we are keeping production limited in order to insure that the level of customer service and support meets our high standards. Current production time after order confirmation is approximately four weeks. We designed the kit to be clean, simple and modular. Form and function were priorities during the design phase. Simple = reliable = easy to maintain.
Typical installation time will range depending on the persons familiarity with the car. General automotive knowledge is sufficient to perform the transformation and a basic understanding of turbocharging, although unnecessary, will help with the installation. On average, 12-15 hours of labor should be sufficient.

The components used in the kit were specifically chosen or manufactured with the highest quality. Twincharging is not only a performance upgrade, but it puts the Mini into an exclusive class of modified vehicles. Every Mini that installs our kit becomes a "show car". Our kit integrates with the factory components, not just "bolts on". Warranty will vary depending on component. Parts that we specifically designed and manufactured carry a standard three year warranty. Parts made by other manufacturers, supplied with the kit in their original condition, are covered by their own manufacturers' warranties.

Questions have been raised concerning the drivetrain which we begin to address as our racing progresses. Getting all the power to the ground is difficult with an open differential and the Quaife or a locking device like the Phantom Grip is definitely high on the option list. We have done long term testing on the stock pressure plate and disc combination and have found it sufficient to hold the power and torque of our Stage One kit. Actual lifespan will vary with the driver and the amout of abuse the clutch is exposed to. The transmission itself has not shown any signs of failure. However, as we start to drag race the vehicle, we will find the weak links as more power and traction is applied.

SPI Powerexcel

BTW, our strut tower brace won't fit either

Originally Posted by minihune
Excellent! Great stuff.

How much is the entry fee to this kind of fun??
What is the install time?
Warranty?

Don't ya think having a Quaife would be a good idea with this kit?
Otherwise, maybe wheelspin city.

Shucks, my stut tower brace won't fit.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:27 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
since you stated the kit is modular. I'm taking with some of us can just buy the indivisural (so i cant spell sue me!)componets to complete the kit. Such as the Header, turbo, blowoff vaulve and plumbing. Since i already have the 400cc injectors, larger incooler, and possibly the Computer.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Fireballed Hubie
Former Vendor
Individual components of our kit can be purchased separately from us. We understand that many enthusiasts have already done modifications to their Minis and some of the upgraded components that are necessary for "twincharging" are already purchased and/or installed. Within reason, we will custom taylor parts and configurations on an individual basis as long as the performance and integrity of the Twincharger Kit is not compromised. The development of parts and our choice of components resulted from many hours of testing and it is the combination of these parts that make the kit perform as advertised. Please feel free to contact us anytime to discuss your projects and requirements.

SPI Powerexcel

Originally Posted by Mugami
since you stated the kit is modular. I'm taking with some of us can just buy the indivisural (so i cant spell sue me!)componets to complete the kit. Such as the Header, turbo, blowoff vaulve and plumbing. Since i already have the 400cc injectors, larger incooler, and possibly the Computer.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Mugami
Coordinator :: River City Minis
np just working on gearing up for the next upgrade project. It Wont happen for several more Months and most lilkly have to get it one piece at a time. Budget is userally 1k max per time of upgrade. For some reason i cant seem to save more than that in the Fun budget before i have to do something. I'll call when im ready to order a piece.

Old 04-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Cooper S IRE
2nd Gear
this is so cool is there any chance you would list the parts and components in the kit would love to buy this piece at a time to spread the cost the video is so cool
http://spipowerexcel.com/newimages/spi%20mcs%20dyno.mpg

Quick Reply: Drivetrain SPI Twincharged MCS Race Program: Progress Report