Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 05:19 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skuzy,
The last person contacted us a couple of days ago, and everything is in process. Parts will start leaving tomarrow and all should be gone by friday. the process has taken a while because of gathering everyones info.

markbradford,
It may but it is not something we have tried. The stock tube is very flexable in that the location of the "tube" on the air box on other peoples air boxes can be different and have it fit. The Silicone tube is somewhat fixed in its position so it may not fit with other air boxes. But if you interest give us a call.

Old 07-28-2005, 02:17 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
End links problem

Dear Alta

I have your front & rear end links installed, but there is a problem with the front end links. The adjustment locking nuts kept coming loose after a few weeks of driving. It only happens to the front pair. Is their an easy fix method?

Regards
Nawaphansa Yugala

Old 07-28-2005, 05:37 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Jeff - pls see either ur email or pm asap, there has been a change to my posting address. ( same destination but PO Box instead )

Cheers

Old 07-29-2005, 09:13 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
pyugala,
The front endlinks could have another issue. If your car is lowered, the endlinks need to be made longer. The problem is that since the endlink mount on the sway bar sits perpendicular to the top mount, when the sway bar is rotated up and down the angle changes causing the the rod end to rotate. This is perfectly fine, at normal ride hieght (when the end links are made the same length as stock), but when lowered the angle changes so much that the rod end can run out of rotation. This will cause binding in the link, and bend the rod end or cause the nuts to loosen. This is my guess as to what is happening.

Thanks to the NAM community for helping us figure this out. Our instructions have changed to indicate the length changes for lowered cars, and if anyone would like these email us and we can send them to you. This isn't a widely spread problem, but if anyone has our front links (rears don't matter) they need to be longer for lowered cars. Not sport pack cars, cars with lowering springs or coilovers.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:09 PM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
pyugala,
The front endlinks could have another issue. If your car is lowered, the endlinks need to be made longer. The problem is that since the endlink mount on the sway bar sits perpendicular to the top mount, when the sway bar is rotated up and down the angle changes causing the the rod end to rotate. This is perfectly fine, at normal ride hieght (when the end links are made the same length as stock), but when lowered the angle changes so much that the rod end can run out of rotation. This will cause binding in the link, and bend the rod end or cause the nuts to loosen. This is my guess as to what is happening.

Thanks to the NAM community for helping us figure this out. Our instructions have changed to indicate the length changes for lowered cars, and if anyone would like these email us and we can send them to you. This isn't a widely spread problem, but if anyone has our front links (rears don't matter) they need to be longer for lowered cars. Not sport pack cars, cars with lowering springs or coilovers.
After an inspection yesterday. My the rod ends on the front links are bent already. Would they eventually be broken? If so, do you supply just the rod ends?

However I have adjusted the links to your recomendation.

Thanks ALTA!

Old 08-08-2005, 06:09 AM
minigolf
3rd Gear
Hi there Jeff. I'm pleased to report that I'm the first of the Aussie MINI2ers to have their group buy ALTA CAI fitted.

But I have just one question. On the close up pic you can see a gap underneath the heat shield (note battery leads). Is this normal or have I done something incorrectly. Otherwise the fit and finish is first rate and everything seems perfect. Thanks for looking after us with the group buy too.

Cheers Liam

Old 08-08-2005, 08:31 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
pyugala,
We do have new rod ends we can sell you, but now that you have fixed them, would guess they should be just fine. But if you want to replace them give us a call!

minigolf,
There is a piece of foam trim that goes there. It should be in the box? its 8" long, the foam is on the side as apposed to the top like the trim around the top of the box. Let us know if you don't have one.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
pyugala,
We do have new rod ends we can sell you, but now that you have fixed them, would guess they should be just fine. But if you want to replace them give us a call!
Actually, they are still bent. I probably need to replace them. What is the cost of replacing them?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2005, 09:50 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Call us or for a good deal, since you bought some in the past.

Old 08-08-2005, 03:30 PM
minigolf
3rd Gear
pyugala,

minigolf,
There is a piece of foam trim that goes there. It should be in the box? its 8" long, the foam is on the side as apposed to the top like the trim around the top of the box. Let us know if you don't have one.
Ah, yep, we had that bit left over!

Bugger, no easy way to get to it now either.

Thanks Liam

PS. The CAI is awesome btw.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That piece can be installed without taking anything apart. Just patiently slip it under there, over the battery cables and around the small connector toward the front of the car (lower left hand corner of the heat shield). I learned this the hard way....but it can be done!

Originally Posted by minigolf
Ah, yep, we had that bit left over!

Bugger, no easy way to get to it now either.

Thanks Liam

PS. The CAI is awesome btw.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:44 PM
minigolf
3rd Gear
Thanks. I figured it would be pretty simple too by just removing the actual filter.

:smile:

Old 08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Won't even have to do that if you're patient.

Thanks. I figured it would be pretty simple too by just removing the actual filter.

:smile:

Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Strom
4th Gear
Any word on the single side-exit exhaust for the MCS?

Also, do you have any plans to make the ALTA intake CARB legal?

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2005, 06:47 AM
minigolf
3rd Gear
How about a blue to match the silicon hose colour? I realise it may be impossible to get an exact match but some sort of blue foam, even if its lighter to aid inspection for cleaning, would be great! To me blue hose, blue foam filter makes sense.

Thanks Liam
I'm gonna have one last go at this.

Are you sure you can't do something like below?

Please!

Looks good doesn't it!

Liam

Old 08-12-2005, 08:06 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Strom,
The single sided thing is something you may see after the SEMA show. We are going to play with a 3" version of our exhaust first then do the single sided system.

Minigolf,
I do like the blue, but our foam supplier, just doens't have a blue that is good enough. Then we have to have 3 different colored filters, and 3 different colored tubes. Some people may want a red hose with the black filter, or the blue filter or the red filter. That creates many PNs for dealers to have to stock and keep track of. Seriously we have been thinking about going to a black or grey filter to work with all intakes colors. This would be a neutral enough color to please everyone. We hope!

Old 08-12-2005, 01:35 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor

minigolf,
I just received my Alta intake today and it looks like that 8" piece of foam needs to be 9" to actually close the space. I haven't installed it yet, but I don't see anything else down there that would close the leftover space. Please enlighten me. :smile: I am not installing for another week since I am dyno'ing the Alta pulley I installed last weekend first. Thanks.

Steve

Old 08-12-2005, 03:08 PM
shack01
2nd Gear
The Boot is Locked!

Never mind.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:33 AM
minigolf
3rd Gear
Minigolf,
I do like the blue, but our foam supplier, just doens't have a blue that is good enough. Then we have to have 3 different colored filters, and 3 different colored tubes. Some people may want a red hose with the black filter, or the blue filter or the red filter. That creates many PNs for dealers to have to stock and keep track of. Seriously we have been thinking about going to a black or grey filter to work with all intakes colors. This would be a neutral enough color to please everyone. We hope!
Well, it was worth one last try.

Cheers Liam

Old 08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Strom
4th Gear
While trying to fix a squeek in my ALTA rear sway bar, I noticed that the stops that are on either side of the mounting bushings (for limiting movement of the bar) are welded on too wide. This allows the bar to move laterally within the bushings. The bar worked itself to the left, coming to rest against the stop, but that movement has caused it to come into contact with the right-side spring.

Are the bar stops supposed to be welded on like this, or is mine different? Also, how can I stop the bar from working itself to the left and contacting the spring on the right?

Thanks!

Here is a diagram of what the bar is supposed to be (I think):

-|0---------------0|-

Here is mine:

-|-0-------------0-|-

And here is what it worked to:

-|--0-------------0|-

Key:
----- = sway bar
| = bar stops
0 = chassis mounting bushings

Old 08-15-2005, 11:12 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
SRTech,
The rubber trim should be 9", if it isn't we can send you some more. but it is somewhat stretchy, and it may fit just fine once you get it on the box. Let us know and we can get something out to you right away.

strom,
There will always be a little gap between the bar and the washers. There has to be do to all cars being a little different. But with that said how much is between the bushings? I would guess about .125"-.25"?? The bar will move around a little which is perfectly fine as long as it doesn't run into anything. You say it has hit the spring. This is something we have never seen, but it could be possible. With the amount of play in the bushing brackets and bolts that hold it to the subfram, and the fact the subframe can move left to right slightly when it is unbolted, i can see this could happen. The holes the bolts that hold the subframe go through are larger by about .125" This .125" offset to one side and the bushings off set to that same side could cause this. Let us know what you find. Also if you can measure the width from washer to washer we can find out what part is wrong. Talk soon!

Old 08-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Strom
4th Gear
It'll be back on the lift tomorrow - I'll take measurements and pictures then!

Old 09-03-2005, 11:37 AM
SRTech
Former Vendor
SRTech,
The rubber trim should be 9", if it isn't we can send you some more. but it is somewhat stretchy, and it may fit just fine once you get it on the box. Let us know and we can get something out to you right away.
Thanks, the piece you sent worked perfectly and arrived quickly. Customer service like that will bring me back again and again. :smile::smile::smile:

Steve

Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM
SCMCS
4th Gear
Was there an answer to this question?

Originally Posted by Strom

Also, do you have any plans to make the ALTA intake CARB legal?

Thanks!
I saw in this thread some mention of a CARB sticker in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...8&postcount=17

Love the sound of the Alta CAI. Install was also a breeze.:smile:

Old 09-06-2005, 11:19 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
CARB is something we have been looking into. This is something we are working to have ready by next year. It is important for us to get this done for all you CA guys!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!