Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like all the parts to me What year is yours? I didn't need anything more than the 3 large clamps on my '03.

Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
Ok... couple questions... about ALTA CAI!

1) Why aren't vent hose clamps included?
2) Why aren't their 3 large hose clamps (TB, heatshield, "Ram air pipe")
3) You need better instructions...
4) a parts list might be helpful to know what I do need and don't have...

a quite simple install went from 30mins to... about 2.5 hrs... because of missing parts and lack of directions without internet....

-Josh

Old 09-15-2005, 05:49 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
I agree on the instructions. They leave something to be desired. I used Randy Webb's how-to and did it in about 1/2 hour. Without that, it would have been a head scratcher.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:49 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by supergimp
I agree on the instructions. They leave something to be desired. I used Randy Webb's how-to and did it in about 1/2 hour. Without that, it would have been a head scratcher.
I used Randy's FAQ as well, as was able to do it in just over an hour. But I was being meticulous, because I'm clueless when it comes to stuff under the hood.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Battle Cattle,
1 & 2) I belive i talked to you the other day, when you called about the missing parts. We are very sorry you were missing the hose clamps. The 2 clamps you should have gotten are not something we normally miss. We are very sorry for causing your install to take so long. There is no need for the 3rd clamp as the factory rubber hose attaches very snuggly to the plastic fresh air pipe. Plus i think it looks a little cleaner not having that extra clamp there.

3)Every once and a while people complain about the instructions, but no one says exactly what needs to be better. If you take the time to pre-read them first, they describe perfectly how the installation should go. From removal of the stock parts, to the installation of our part, it is right on the money. We have changed our instructions many times over the last few years to make them more cleared to the DIYer. We have improved the pics making them clearer and larger in the instructions.

4)The parts list is something that we are adding to all of the instructions at the same time we put them on our website for download. This will help you out in stituations like you had missing the clamps.

Supergimp,
Randy Webbs how-to is very good, and all the pics are very helpful. As more of our instructions go on our site you will see more pics and things like that. But for printing instructions that have 10 pages of pics to do something that is somewhat simple and can be described in 1 page of words, can be a little over kill.

We are always looking to improve our parts/instructions and packaging and the only way that ever happens is by our customers reporting back to us with what to do.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:27 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
Jeff,

Rereading the thread, I didn't want to infer that I was anyway dissatisfied with my Alta CAI. I love it, it fit great, works great - and the only trouble I ran into is that I was one of the first that tried it on an MCSa (and you guys were very diligent in sending me a bunch of parts before we realized a change in the hose was necessary - still can't wait until the new hose is available, btw ). I'm pretty mechanically inclined and my point should have been that, as my first (of many) venture under the hood of my Mini, Randy's how to was helpful in identifying where I was headed right away, not that I couldn't have done it with just the instructions, but that the how-to made me feel like I had been there before.

Cheers,

Steve

Old 09-15-2005, 12:04 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
by no means am I upset or anything...

more disappointed if I had to classify it ...and tired from the long install...

I love the CAI... and will continue to buy ALTA products... but I do belive that a reevaluation of your instructions is called for... 1 page of B&W pictures ($259 item w/ hose) and text doesn't cut it. I mean when I did my Ian auto-up windows ($50 item) I had like 8 pages of color pictures and wonderfully discriptive text...

Otherwise every part is well made and not cheap, It all fits together with great ease... Once you know how it goes together. Also this might help... take the instructions to a person that has never looked under the hood before and see what they say. If I had a digital camera I could write you up 1 hell of a how-to so anyone could do it

-Josh

Old 09-15-2005, 12:23 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Supergimp,
I didn't think you were unhappy at all so no worries.

Battle Cattle,
So your suggestion is more pictures? Which ones would help?

Old 09-15-2005, 03:15 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alta, I think what would help a lot of us would be a nice how-to on your site (like Randy's for the CAI). This would allow us to see in color (and w/o extra printing cost to you) the full install. We can see what we're getting into before we get the product and let us have something to go back on if the included instructions don't have enough detail.

This comment extends to all your products. A nice how-to online would be a great tool to help in our buying decisions.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:47 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
kapps,
That is a good idea. Definately something we will be looking into very soon.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Strom
4th Gear
You could just make an Adobe PDF out of the install manual and have it on your site.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:19 PM
gtbuzzmini
2nd Gear
CAI installation instructions

I bought a used CAI without installation instructions. Is there a copy aailable somewhere? Thanks

Matt

Old 09-18-2005, 04:43 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gtbuzzmini
I bought a used CAI without installation instructions. Is there a copy aailable somewhere? Thanks

Matt
Here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=15124

Old 09-28-2005, 10:13 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
Could you post instructions/how to and pictures for crank pulley install?

Old 09-29-2005, 06:16 PM
electricblue
1st Gear
Alta 19%+2%

I think in add a 19% + 2% in my mcs but i have some doubt about it reliable.someones said that the 19% overheat the supercharge and the 2% make cavitation in the water pump and increase the oil temperature.Are this sure? And how much hp gain can i expected with this or and other combination more save and with the same hp gain?THANK'S

Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
SteveS,
I think Randy Webb has one on his site. It is one he did when he installed our crank pulley on his race car. I will try to find it and post the link.

electricblue,
A 19%+2% isn't a problem if you use the proper belt and don't rev it to high. If you think about it, the SC speeds is all you are concerned with. The different pulleys will cause the SC to at different speeds at your engines redline. We can show that a 15% pulley can safely rev with the engine to 7500RPM (JCW). With a 19% a stock redline keeps it basically the same using the stock redline. With the 2%, we recommend a slightly lower redline, just to keep things safer. So your stock redline is 7000, just mentally use 6800 as your redline. Hope that helps.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:21 PM
electricblue
1st Gear
thank's sorry for to much questions but i start my mods and i want to know thw difference betwen the 15%+2%,17%+2% or 19%+2% in hp gains i allredy order my Alta CAI and the JCW Injectors thinking in the 17 or 19 pulley.my next buy going to be the pulley so i want to be sure of wath i going to buy.
Originally Posted by ALTA2
SteveS,
I think Randy Webb has one on his site. It is one he did when he installed our crank pulley on his race car. I will try to find it and post the link.

electricblue,
A 19%+2% isn't a problem if you use the proper belt and don't rev it to high. If you think about it, the SC speeds is all you are concerned with. The different pulleys will cause the SC to at different speeds at your engines redline. We can show that a 15% pulley can safely rev with the engine to 7500RPM (JCW). With a 19% a stock redline keeps it basically the same using the stock redline. With the 2%, we recommend a slightly lower redline, just to keep things safer. So your stock redline is 7000, just mentally use 6800 as your redline. Hope that helps.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Minian
5th Gear
ALTA CAI's

To Whom it may...

Sorry to be so late, I haven't posted for nearly a year. The first question asked has sparked my interest.
To the point: I hate red on any part of my car. Yes I'm one of those people.
Changing the color of the CAI filter was answered with "what color?"
"Black & Gray are fine, but you can't see the dirt" well how about Alta blue?
If you can't see the dirt on that color you can't see. I believe I've seen a blue flat panel filter, but not a round CAI filter.
I'm slowly, but surely going to change wires, sparkplug wires, and hoses to match my Alta intake hose, which really stands out when you open the hood without needing sunglasses. The red must go! I would gladly buy all mentioned from Alta if offered.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:55 AM
electricblue
1st Gear
hello!
Originally Posted by electricblue
thank's sorry for to much questions but i start my mods and i want to know thw difference betwen the 15%+2%,17%+2% or 19%+2% in hp gains i allredy order my Alta CAI and the JCW Injectors thinking in the 17 or 19 pulley.my next buy going to be the pulley so i want to be sure of wath i going to buy.

Old 10-06-2005, 09:08 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
minian,
I think we will do some in the grey color for those who don't like the red, and we are probably going to stay away from the blue. The blue that we have availibe is just to turquoise.

You won't be able to see the dirt, but you will just have clean it every 10K miles.

Good input.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Minian
5th Gear
CAI Filter

ALTA2
That's great! A Gray or Black CAI is fine with me. I have a Drk Silver S so the gray will at least match the paint job somewhat.

Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
is the reduction pulley going to have a carb e.o. number?

Has this been asked? If so, nevermind.

Last edited by meanboy; 10-14-2005 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo and bad grammer
Old 10-14-2005, 04:27 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
Inquiring minds want to know

Been asked but not answered yet.

PLEASE Alta a CARB sticker would be the clincher as to which pully to get for us Cali folks

Originally Posted by meanboy
Has this been asked? If so, nevermind.

Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Huh?

Originally Posted by Krassanova
...and that's why we pay more in California.
Last I looked, the Mini was a 50 state car, meaning it's the same no matter where you bought it, and I wasn't aware that list price was state dependant.....

Matt

Old 10-15-2005, 08:02 AM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
PDF of all products.

Going to do the OCC install today and no instructions. This is not the fault of Alta. This is mine. It would be nice if there was a place on your web that we could download the PDF files for installs of all the products.

As part of the OCC install I was also going to clean the IC while it was off. Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning the inside and outside of the IC? Looking to brighten the entire engine compartment.

thanks
'02 EB/W, 17" SSR-GT1, H-Sport Adj Sway Bar, 15% Hellix, H&R Springs, Alta Bue CAI, Eibach Pro-Alignement kit - rear, 108K

Old 10-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Inside use a solvent that's good on oil...

Originally Posted by whskysouth
PDF of all products.

Going to do the OCC install today and no instructions. This is not the fault of Alta. This is mine. It would be nice if there was a place on your web that we could download the PDF files for installs of all the products.

As part of the OCC install I was also going to clean the IC while it was off. Does anyone have suggestions for cleaning the inside and outside of the IC? Looking to brighten the entire engine compartment.

thanks
'02 EB/W, 17" SSR-GT1, H-Sport Adj Sway Bar, 15% Hellix, H&R Springs, Alta Bue CAI, Eibach Pro-Alignement kit - rear, 108K
Some have used acetone to good effect, alcohol should work well too. I wouldn't do too much on the outside. Heat exchange is a tricky business. If you polish the metal where you can, you will actually decrease heat exchange efficiency. Also, watch the fins, the are very easy to bend. If you just want to clean it up a bit, wipe the tops of the bars with some of the solvent you use for the inside. If you have an ultrasonic bath at home or work, that would be the best, but watch out how much power it can put in, those can be pretty intense locally in the bath.

Matt

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!