Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:48 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I currently have the Alta 15% SC pulley and this past weekend had the Alta
lightweight Crank Pulley (+2%) installed. I was using the standard Mini S SC Belt and although it looked almost new (only 15K miles in it), I wanted to install a new JCW Belt while the crank pulley was being installed.
I was told that using a 15% SC and +2% crank pulleys, the JCW belt would not allow enough adjustment for the belt tensioner.
Not sure why that would be the case when it is recommended to use a smaller belt for a 17% SC Pulley.
What do you think? Should I have installed the JCW belt while I was at it or, am I better off with the OEM Mini S belt?

Old 10-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
While the s/c pulley is smaller, the crank pulley is larger. I am not sure if it would work or not ( jcw belt w 15% + 2% ) but I had a 15% with a 3% and a stock belt with no problems.

Originally Posted by apexer
I currently have the Alta 15% SC pulley and this past weekend had the Alta
lightweight Crank Pulley (+2%) installed. I was using the standard Mini S SC Belt and although it looked almost new (only 15K miles in it), I wanted to install a new JCW Belt while the crank pulley was being installed.
I was told that using a 15% SC and +2% crank pulleys, the JCW belt would not allow enough adjustment for the belt tensioner.
Not sure why that would be the case when it is recommended to use a smaller belt for a 17% SC Pulley.
What do you think? Should I have installed the JCW belt while I was at it or, am I better off with the OEM Mini S belt?

Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
MartyR
5th Gear
The OEM belt should be fine. 17% SC reduction effective either way, but the 15% SC reduction pulley with 2% crank OVERSIZE pulley means you should have MORE adjustment with the OEM belt than with the 15% SC reduction pulley alone. I am going with a +4% crank shortly and will use a new OEM belt with it (to complement my 15% SC reduction pulley).

Marty

Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Thanks for the input Marty & detlman.

Marty, you know Randy thinks a +4% Crank with a 15% SC is a no.. no..
Said it may be better than just a 19% SC pulley but still not what he would recommend.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:11 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Sorry the delay, we have been very busy with SEMA stuff. Lots of new stuff coming out and we have been getting it ready for the show.

CARB stuff is on the way. Just too much going on. We looked into the pulley as a part we would CARB approve, but i think it would be the last. Much effort is involed with CARB approving things and the intakes are the #1 priority.

whskysouth,
PDF is the other Big thing we are working on. For us this is huge deal because every file is huge and has to be converted. At the same time we are revising the pictures, verbage and everything to make them better. But this is something you will see very soon! Bead blasting the IC is a great way to clean the IC up and will help with cooling. How much, probably not much but its not going to hurt it.

apexer,
OEM should be fine, if anything maybe a stock Cooper S belt.

MartyR,
I think 19% is fine as long as you don't rev it past 7000. More boost, at a lower RPM makes the car feel pretty zippy!

Old 10-17-2005, 06:56 PM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
Is it possible you could fax the Directions or send the word file? If you need help getting them converted to PDF I would gladly do it......

Send a PM if you dont mind and lets work out the details.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I am already using a Stock S belt with the 15% SC Pulley and +2% Crank Pulley. My question was, can/should I use the JCW belt with this package?
I have a new JCW belt as a spare. Can I use it or, should I sell it and buy an OEM Stock S belt as the spare?

Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
newbs49
Banned
I have a JCW car with the Alta 2% and have no issues with the JCW belt. Onasled I believe has a 3% pulley and uses a JCW belt with lots of track days and no concerns. Hope that helps.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Just a quick question on the short shifter ( just received mine the other day)..
when adjusting the hieght.. what do u match up the grooves with?? is it against the flat bottom part (where it has also engraved in it?) or are the 3 screws meant to be lodged in these grooves or something else??

thanks.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Sorry the delay, we have been very busy with SEMA stuff. Lots of new stuff coming out and we have been getting it ready for the show.

CARB stuff is on the way. Just too much going on. We looked into the pulley as a part we would CARB approve, but i think it would be the last. Much effort is involed with CARB approving things and the intakes are the #1 priority.
Just some idle thoughts on the reduction pulley...

I checked Dinan's site today and they are offering a pulley..smog pending for $899!! I am sure Alta could pass on some of the CARB costs if Dinan can do it.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Strom
4th Gear
Couple things:

1.) Dinan has a much larger operation, and thus can more easily afford the CARB testing costs. Also, they are very experienced in getting through the CARB certification process.

2.) Dinan's kit is $899 for "15psi Supercharger Pulley and Belt; Fuel Pressure Regulator; Fuel Tank Pressure Regulator Assembly". Whether or not those other items are needed, it's not just a pulley.

That said, the ALTA pulley (or ANY other pulley) is a bargain compared to Dinan.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aren't there any trade organizations that could assist with CARB work? The mustang guys have been doing it forever. Is the market too limited for that? Since they already stated they started the process for CAI it couldn't be that difficult.

And you're right it's more then just a pulley but Mini Mania sells the pulley with the belt for somewhere around $140.00. The fuel regulator stuff should be subtracted from the total because it seems like fluff. Maybe, $150-200 for the parts? The difference is still a lot for just a pulley and belt.

Last edited by meanboy; 10-24-2005 at 03:07 PM. Reason: grammer and typos
Old 10-26-2005, 08:57 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by skuzy
Just a quick question on the short shifter ( just received mine the other day)..
when adjusting the hieght.. what do u match up the grooves with?? is it against the flat bottom part (where it has also engraved in it?) or are the 3 screws meant to be lodged in these grooves or something else??

thanks.
any help on this? thanks

Old 10-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Pressure reg fix....

Originally Posted by Strom
Couple things:

1.) Dinan has a much larger operation, and thus can more easily afford the CARB testing costs. Also, they are very experienced in getting through the CARB certification process.

2.) Dinan's kit is $899 for "15psi Supercharger Pulley and Belt; Fuel Pressure Regulator; Fuel Tank Pressure Regulator Assembly". Whether or not those other items are needed, it's not just a pulley.

That said, the ALTA pulley (or ANY other pulley) is a bargain compared to Dinan.
You can boost fuel flow by either bumping up fuel pressure (Dinan approach) or by increase fuel injector size (JCW approach). In the ford world (others too, I'm sure, but I'm not familiar with them) this is a common tuning trick. Compare the Dinan package to a pully, belt, and injectors. Since they aren't giving a tune, it's a way to boost fuel flow with a pully without going into the ECU.

Matt

Old 10-27-2005, 09:06 AM
Strom
4th Gear
Dr Obnxs-

I agree with you. I was only referring to the fact that many people have said that the fuel pump is not needed at that state of tune. I am no expert on the matter, so I have no idea.

Also, what you're saying is essentially what I was trying to say. You can't simply compare the Dinan setup to a pulley.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:50 AM
Gees
1st Gear
Alta2

Received my Alta Rear Adjustable Control Arms the other day. Ordered them via Outmotoring. It did not come with fitting instruction!

Please advise

Old 11-02-2005, 06:27 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Gees
Alta2

Received my Alta Rear Adjustable Control Arms the other day. Ordered them via Outmotoring. It did not come with fitting instruction!

Please advise
Step 1, call Outmotoring.

Old 11-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Gees
1st Gear
Thanks for teh advice, Jeffs.
That was the first thing I did:smile: However they sent me a link to how to fit a Mossmini control arms instead! So contacted Alta directly via their official website but still no response. Thought I might try this thread instead. Now where is that Alta2 guy?

Old 11-02-2005, 07:11 AM
Pir8 97
4th Gear
Now where is that Alta2 guy?
SEMA?

Old 11-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for teh advice, Jeffs.
That was the first thing I did:smile: However they sent me a link to how to fit a Mossmini control arms instead! So contacted Alta directly via their official website but still no response. Thought I might try this thread instead. Now where is that Alta2 guy?

Ummm so you have a link on how to install the moss ones? I really really doubt that it would be any different. You are going to be going through the same steps as any other rear control arm install.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:06 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 4 of the Altas on my MCS, and if there's one thing that I'd recommend, it would be to select and position the various rod ends such that when you tighten them up, it requires downward force, as opposed to an upward knucke-busting slip I did this from the get-go, and I'm glad that I did. I believe they are 1 1/8" jam nuts, but I might be thinking of my previous H-Sports. Also, I sprayed some dry silicone on the rod ends to aid them in pivoting better, helps when aligning the bolts to the holes... Oh, as with all control arms, I've learned that it's advisable to get new bolts and nuts from MINI. Someone PM'd with this info, and from my experiences, I'd have to agree that it's good and cheap insurance. If you're doing the lowers only, that would be 4 bolts and 2 nuts I believe... If you haven't already done so, search the Supspension forum here. Might find some helpful info. Best of luck.

Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
bolts form MINI!!!

What's up Tony, what's the deal with the supplied nuts and bolts from Hsport or any others? Factory nuts and bolts just known for being better?

thanks man.

James

Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Gees
1st Gear
Thanks everyone.

Thanks TonyB, great tips. Will make sure to get some new nuts and bolts when doing the installation

Old 11-02-2005, 08:43 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Hi there James! It's been a while (Laguna)...

With the Altas, I didn't get mounting hardware, and if I recall correctly, I didn't with the H-Sports either. One is to make use of the MINI bolts & nuts when doing so. But, given my experiences, and those of others (galling of the threads), just drop a couple of bucks for new ones...

Old 11-02-2005, 09:09 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Thanks everyone.

Thanks TonyB, great tips. Will make sure to get some new nuts and bolts when doing the installation
I twice stripped the the bolt for the lower arm, outboard driver's side. An hour drive each way for an 85 cent bolt sucks!

Alta is good about sending the arms set to factory length. Double-check it though by lining-up the factory arm over it, and slide the bolts through both arms to see if them are of equal length. If not, adjust the Alta...

Torque settings...? I forgot. Check the Bentley manual. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!