Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
TUFFMINI
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silicone hose!

Is the silicone hose used for the Cooper S automatic? I have not found anywhere that tell me it is not, Until i purchased the hose, and the Alta intake. the paper works states the hose is not needed.

Did i waste fifty smakers for a tube that i cannot use?

Old 02-13-2006, 02:52 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
TEST data on ALTA intake

Just a test for our site. This is something we may post on our site and hopefully other intake vendors will give similar numbers for their own intakes. The test is to see if others understand this and if it is relevent.

ALTA box volume-
303.75cu-in

Plus OEM base volume-
224cu-in

Plus top of box/seal to hood volume-
62cu-in

Totals-
589.75cu-in of area for our filter to suck air from, plus the 38.75sq-in opening to the cowl.(with unlimited air volume)

Alta Filter (foam only) Volume
147.2cu-in
Base volume
18.3cu-in

Space for filter to suck from total box cu-in minus filter total volume
424.25 cu-in

Using-
Alta Filter Surface area-
122.46sq-in
To suck from.

Why does this info matter? It shows the available space for the filter to suck air from. A smaller box would start to act like a restrictor, and loose power.

Please comment on this data, as we will use the NAM opinions in regards to posting this to our site.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:32 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
alta -

installed ur s/shifter - and love it.

But need to know something with the adjustable height - when i lower it to the lowest height of the shifter, the gear stick forces the gear box lid off from underneath the car - is this meant to be right?

driving without the lid on is allowing a ton of heat in, and im not 100% if this is right so i heightened the gear stick for now - until i hear from u.

thanks

Old 03-19-2006, 06:50 PM
polizei
6th Gear
I have a question:

Why is the air intake $260! That seems like a lot of money for an intake. I though most were ~$150? Guess I was wrong...

Oh, and do you guys make different colored filter's? I would love to have a blue filter with a blue hose.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
skuzy,
That is correct. But there is more to it than just that. Did you get instructions? There are 3 settings to the SS.
1-no modifications (0-15% shorter)
2-Slight lid modifications (0-20%)
3-lid removal (0-50% shorter)

When you remove the lid, there really isn't anything exposed that will get hurt. What i mean is that there is still the large aluminum heat shield above the exhaust which protects it from the heat and amazingly enough DIRT!

This is something many customers call about. They are worried about dirt getting up there. But i have pulled that shield off of cars with 30K miles on them and they are very clean up there. I hope that makes you feel better and not worry about anything.

polizei,
Good question and one we get quite often. Lets compare others out there first. Most all intakes do not include a larger intake hose that goes from the throttle body to the air box. We have proven this hose alone is worth 6WHP. That is one of the items that adds cost over others.

You might be thinking well there is still the filter and box which is the same basic thing. Well that is also not exactly correct. Our air box is very different from others in that it goes around the ECU box and to the firewall. Not just around the front to hold the intake tube and filter. Secondly our intake is designed around removing the plastic wall between the filter and the area below the window cowl. This gives you nice fresh air from that vent in front of the window.

The foam filter is an item very different from the rest out there. Most everyone uses a K&N style filter, which works very well when new and clean. In fact performance of an equaly sized filter is the same when new and clean. But when dirty the foam will out clean and out flow hands down. Look at the world of off road racing. Foam filters are everywhere!

We offer our intake minus the silicone intake hose for $199.99. Yes it is a little more expensive, but it is also a little better. And for $260, the intake you buy will out perform all other intakes out there!

Old 03-21-2006, 09:20 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Sweet! Thanks for summing that up for me. The Alta CAI will probably be my first mod when I get a MINI.

Thanks!
-Cody

Old 03-21-2006, 09:37 AM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAI C.A.R.B. Approved

Just to keep this subject alive ...
I know that you said "...towards the begining of summer..." we should hear something about the CAI being approved by the Air Resources Board - is there any news on the first full day of spring?

T

Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
thanks alta - i trust no dirt will get in there.. but will the heat affect any of the wiring etc ? the gear stick, and leather boot gets quiet hot.

Anyone else with an alta s/shift care to comment?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:03 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
DrkSlvrS,
When we get back from the LV meet this weekend, a lot of the focus is being put on gettting that all going. Also the Auto intake parts will be shipping end of next week so we can make sure to get all versions of the intake done at the same time.

Skuzy,
It shouldn't there have been people using our SS for 3 years with no issues. That big aluminum heat shield works very well for keeping the heat and dirt out of that area. I have never noticed anything getting too hot around the shifter.

Old 03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
OK Thanks for the answers

Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 PM
DrkSlvrS
5th Gear
Thanks for the reply ...

SEE YOU IN VEGAS!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:49 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Sorry i didn't make it to Vegas. John and Adam were there handing out catalogs, and chatting with everyone. Just spent the first couple of hours looking at all the pics, and cars. That is sure a lot of Minis!

Vegas next year i think will be even bigger! Fun things to come!

Old 04-03-2006, 03:59 PM
DuckWerks
1st Gear
Control Arms,

Just a question re: Alta Control Arms.

Does the inner part of the heim joint supposed to swivel/rotate?

They look like they would but seemed to be in a fixed position. On each control arm, one end is fixed symmetrically, while there other end seems to be in an angle. Pardon my ignorance.

Old 04-11-2006, 04:13 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Sorry for the slow reply we have been swamped the last week!

DuckWerks,
Yes, that is basically a ball pressed into a socket. (that is not how they get in there though) So they spin and rotate in all directions. doing this without flex is how they do this differently than urethane or rubber. Hope that helps!

Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Hi is it possible to modify the alta 19mm sway bar to accept grease fittings to alow for periodic lubrication? Is it something you sell?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:30 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Jeff - Can you give us the latest news on your header?

Old 04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
mistro,
You could modify them or purchase an Energy Suspension part that has the fittings already in them. This is something you will eventually see on our bars. the Energy Suspension part number is 9.5156.

matma92ser,
The headers are shipping! Finally!

Old 04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Thank you Alta2 and thank you Adam at Alta

Old 04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
mistro
6th Gear
Alta 2 is this what you are talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Unive...QQcmdZViewItem

I assume I want Graphite impregnated self lubricating bushings as opposed to non self lubricating. TIA Michael

Old 04-12-2006, 05:08 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
You got it, but the graphite stuff is custom, and not a part number you can buy. If we offer this in the future, they will be like our other bushings, that are custom made from Energy suspension.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:31 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Two Questions: (1) Is there a black CAI box top available for purchase yet? (2) What date will the CAI CARB stickers be available? I heard by summer.

Old 04-14-2006, 11:29 AM
kseckel99
5th Gear
CAI sound

I had an Alta CAI installed 2 weeks ago by WayMotors (wonderful job I might add), and was wondering what the sound is I hear. Sounds like a sucking (?) sound if I put my foot into it. I know the whine sound, but this is a 'psssst' sound? Very short and if I remember right happens after I let off gas to shift.

Thanks,

Old 04-16-2006, 09:10 PM
Petrich
4th Gear
Adjusting Alta sway bar end links

Jeff,

How do you recommend that we adjust our Alta sway bar endlinks when the suspension has been lowered about 1" ?

Understand that lowering the suspension reduces the distance from the sway bar to the strut endlink mounting ear. Do I shorten the Alta endlink compared to the stock endlink an amount equal to the amount that the car is lowered?

Regards,
John Petrich in Seattle

Old 04-18-2006, 01:34 PM
ebock
2nd Gear
CAI with JCW

I know this has probably been asked a million times (but I have been unable to put the right search terms together to find it). Is it worth replacing the updated JCW (05) Air Box with a CAI?

Thanks

Ed

Old 04-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
Two Questions: (1) Is there a black CAI box top available for purchase yet? (2) What date will the CAI CARB stickers be available? I heard by summer.
Alta - message sent again.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!