Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCMCS
I’m interested in getting a top for my Alta CAI. Can you elaborate on how it should fit.

I assume it will fit over the ECU. One other thing I have an M7 strut bar will this pose a problem?

Thanks
Check out this.

It fits just fine.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:14 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Check out this.

It fits just fine.
Way cool thanks for the pictures mdsbrain. One last question will the production tops be power coated silver to match the rest of the metal? This one looks raw like stainless steel. I know it says prototype so I'm hoping the production ones will be painted to match the rest of the metal.

P.S. looks like we have the same setup- Alta-M7 Strut-Unichip

Old 08-01-2006, 06:46 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Larry changes have been made, to make things clearer, thanks to your help and a couple of others. The black screw we are working, on. That rubber trim is for the back side of the top. It basically creates a seal like the plastic wall used to do.

One thing we goofed on was where the top goes. Meaning the top should fit on the inside of the front edge of the box. Some people have been putting them on the outside, and the bracket doesn't line up.

That is why we wanted to open a discusion about this to help people out.

Its one of those things that is so simple to install, that no knowing the small detail about the lip, can really make it a PITA to install.

scmcs,
It fits over the ECU and it will clear you strut bar. A very helpful NAM member helped us with the test fit to show this.
I spoke with an Alta Tech on the phone who assured me that the box top was a 10 minute install.I have spent more time reading the directions. The top looks very cool but I don't want to f#*@ up the install. Can you please post step-by-step installation instructions. The written instructions are not complete. Thanks

Old 08-02-2006, 03:59 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
I spoke with an Alta Tech on the phone who assured me that the box top was a 10 minute install.I have spent more time reading the directions. The top looks very cool but I don't want to f#*@ up the install. Can you please post step-by-step installation instructions. The written instructions are not complete. Thanks
I think a picture is worth a thousand words.

Bracket attached to the filter.

Then you place the top on. Then apply the rubber peice to the rear of the box. And make suttle adjustments as needed.
You may have to remove the very right most screw holding the airbox to the car. Alta has told me suttle changes in the cars over the years has made this necessary on some and not on others.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:04 AM
minigolf
3rd Gear
tavis1,
No worries, those mounts are very durable.

BlueCooperS,
Sorry! I am with you now! The filter element may not change as we now have the box top to cover it up. So at this point we are going to make the filters a color that shows dirt (so you know when to clean it) and a color that suite most everones needs. But if enough people as, we can do a dark grey which looks very cool, but hard to tell when it is dirty.
I'd still like a blue filter please. As seen back on about page 9.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 AM
VBG
3rd Gear
04SDmini,
Got some good news Friday! Things are starting to happen! Things should start happening very soon!
Hey Jeff,

As you can imagine, we're waiting with baited breath to hear more details on the CARB approval. Can you share with us the progress you referred to?

Btw, a big congratulations on getting the tops out! It is interesting to see a project like this from concept to installation. As simple as the concept is, lot of thought goes into it.

Best,

-- Don

Old 08-05-2006, 07:05 PM
SCMCS
4th Gear
I installed my top today. Ordered it on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday. Great example of a how a vendor should fill orders.

I found the instructions to be straight forward and in fact a product like this really should not need much installation instructions.

The one thing I didn’t like was the fact that the ECU cover needs to be removed for the top to fit. I know the instructions say don’t worry the ECU cable connections have a seal to keep stuff out bit didn’t like having to remove it none the less. Since I have the Unichip the ECU cables route differently then the stock ones so the intake had some open holes in the front and side I wanted to seal up. So what I did was to get some ¼ “ thick hard rubber and cut out some square pieces to fit in where the ECU cables were meant to come through the intake housing and used a bit of silicone to seal the cracks. Here are some picts of what I’m talking about.

The rest of the install was super easy even with the extra stuff I did I was done in less than a ½ hr. Here's the finished install.

The top just clears the M7 strut bar, like a credit card distance.

I was hoping that the top would have the Alta logo like the prototype does but I guess this would have added to the cost so it was not included in the production piece.

Oh well now I have a place to put my Webb Motorsport badge (if I ever get it).

Thanks Alta for another great product. Now about those CARB stickers…….

Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Box Top

Received mine this afternoon and was able to install after dinner in about 10 minutes.
I am a little concerned about the open ECU box but not enough to not install the box top.
The instructions are NOT clear and could easily lead to some questions.
Understanding that the front lip does not fit outside the box helped alot.
Thanks.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you worried about taking off the ECU cover...

look at the filter box. There are vent holes into the ECU area in the stocker, so it's not sealed away from the airbox anyway. Sure this has more flow, but the ECU has to get cooling air from somewhere! This way, it gets much, much more!

Matt

Old 08-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Scrappy
Neutral
Thanks for speedy shipping

On Monday I realized that I had not yet ordered (rented) a pulley puller for this weekend. I placed the order on Monday afternoon and the puller arrived today. Now that's some awesome service!

Thanks Alta!!

Bob
'03 CR/W Cooper S

Old 08-15-2006, 01:59 AM
BlueCooperS
3rd Gear
Installed mine last week. I think I should have snipped the rubber where it goes around the corner on car's right side. Had to beat it with my hand a bit to get the top to seat. Looks good, easier job to install this than cleaning the filter was.

The car sounds louder and more metallic from the outside. Some friends commented that it's ricier. I kind of like it.

Unexpected benefit: This top decouples the air intake from the bonnet, and seems to reduce highway drone!

Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM
Jmkief
Neutral
JCW with Alta Header

Alta

I don't know if anyone here has done this but I was thinking of putting the Alta Headers on my JCW Mini Cooper S. One of the reasons I am leaning toward Alta is because on the website it says CARB APPROVED which I definitely need. Can anyone tell me the noise benefits with the Alta Headers and the JCW exhaust over the stock headers? Also, I just wanted to double check that what I saw on the website was indeed correct and it is CARB approved.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Very sorry to everyone fo the delay. We have been really busy with SEMA stuff, and getting the new website going.

Thank you mdsbrain for the pics and the back up!

minigolf,
We most likely will stick to the red filter from here on out, now that the top is out. This should hopefully satisfy everyones needs that don't like the filter color. But you never know!

VBG,
CARB approval gets closer everyday. Its just a matter of time!

SCMCS,
Glad the install went well. But like we mention in the instructions and the DR. points out, the ECU isn't sealed to start with. The plugs them selves have nice o-rings on them, and the plug where it goes into the ECU has a nice seal. So you can litterelly dunk it in water and it will still work.

On the logo thing. THat is a tuff one! I would say 50/50 people want the logo. Some people are so against logos, that we opted to not to weld it on. the logo plates for these are going to be separate. I say going to be, as with our new website launch, there will be a new theme and new badges. These are stick on so people have the option.

pberry51mini,
We have updated the instructions to mention the box being on the inside not the outside. We didn't mention this the first run of them, but got lots of questions about it.

BlueCooperS ,
Interesting finding. Another person told us the same thing. They said it was quieter also!

Jmkief,
It is a little confusing, but the CARB approval is on the converter. The converters we use are CARB approved to 1996 cars, and EPA approved to 2006 cars. The CARB on cars newer than 1996 is on a part by part case. Meaning when our Header is CARB approved it will be the complete part, not just the cat. Something we are working on also!

The sound with our catted part will be very similar to stock. Not much lounder. But if you removed the cat (which you can't do legally) it will be very lound and farty!

Old 08-19-2006, 10:14 AM
powerband
3rd Gear
I'm new and have an '06 on order. For some reason I remember reading that the Alta exhaust is made for MINI up to '04s. (I might have conjured this from a damn dream.) My question: Does the Alta Sportone exhaust fit the '06 MCS?

Definitely getting the Alta CAI!

Thanks, everyone!

Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
poweband,
You got it! It fits all cars every year, except convertables. But we are working on that also!

Old 08-21-2006, 01:13 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pulley w/ plugs

When replacing the pulley w/ a 15% pulley should you replace plugs and at what point should you replace injectors?

Old 08-25-2006, 05:59 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Noticed this on another forum. Thought I'd ask around here. Anybosy heard of this?

Hi guys,

was doing some general maintance on my MCS, i found my the top of my Alta intecooler air diverter is beening rusted away.

I took off the rubber seals that sit on top of the diverter, and found the silver paint have been stripped away and the metal parts are exposed and is extremely rusted.

i had the diverter for around 2 yrs now.

I have emailed Alta for answers, but anyone had similar experienced b4?

regards
Alfred

Old 08-25-2006, 06:38 PM
gizzer777
5th Gear
Just installed your OCC

Plz ...for the amount of $$ you charge, make the parts of the OCC a little better and stop replacing metal fittings with nylon/plastic that do not thread well! There is plenty of markup (or should be to maintain the quality!) You can buy other brands made from better materials (and especially filter materials) for about $5-8 more!...I Like Alta too...also plz try to put better instructions within...mine looked like a miniature 4th generation copy and you could not see the illustrrations! Went with an alternate setup anyway though...Alta=HQ!!!

ON THE POSITIVE...YOU WERE KIND ENOUGH TO SEND ME A NICELY READABLE COPY VIA EMAIL! POST HASTE!!!!

First let me thank you for your continued patronage and support of ALTA Performance Products. North American Motoring as a group has been very influencial in our success in the Mini Cooper market. We value your business but more importantly your opinions, feedback and concerns. Our goal is to make each one of our potential customers happy and confident with the money they have worked hard to earn and are now investing in performance or visual improvements to their vehicle.

This thread is specifically designed for our engineers, sales people and marketing staff to address any concerns you may have, questions about a new or old product, parts combatibility and general technical advice. We welcome you to offer up anything that we can help you with. All questions will be answered in detail using factual information and promptly! We intend to revisit this thread on a daily basis to keep on top of what ever is of interest on that particular day. Feel free to also voice any concerns you have about any product. From how it works, how much it costs, and also if you would like to see something different. We would love to compare our parts to others and discuss the reasons why we make parts the way we do.

As always thanks in advance for the feedback. We appreciate it! Finally I can always be reached personally at our offices via e-mail or phone if something is not being answered properly here.

Old 08-26-2006, 06:07 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
hello? ANy thoughts?

ANYONE?
Hello?
Hello?

Originally Posted by HHFD633
When replacing the pulley w/ a 15% pulley should you replace plugs and at what point should you replace injectors?

Old 08-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
This isn't really an Alta question....

ANYONE?
Hello?
Hello?
it's more general than that. That Search function will give you millions of opinions on this....

You don't need to do plugs or injectors with a 15%. Depending on where you live and the gas you have access to, plugs may help.

Matt

Old 08-26-2006, 10:43 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
Noticed this on another forum. Thought I'd ask around here. Anybosy heard of this?

Hi guys,

was doing some general maintance on my MCS, i found my the top of my Alta intecooler air diverter is beening rusted away.

I took off the rubber seals that sit on top of the diverter, and found the silver paint have been stripped away and the metal parts are exposed and is extremely rusted.

i had the diverter for around 2 yrs now.

I have emailed Alta for answers, but anyone had similar experienced b4?

regards
Alfred

Hello??? This is the help line isn't it??

Old 08-26-2006, 11:06 AM
reeser1
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jmkief
Alta

I don't know if anyone here has done this but I was thinking of putting the Alta Headers on my JCW Mini Cooper S. One of the reasons I am leaning toward Alta is because on the website it says CARB APPROVED which I definitely need. Can anyone tell me the noise benefits with the Alta Headers and the JCW exhaust over the stock headers? Also, I just wanted to double check that what I saw on the website was indeed correct and it is CARB approved.
i have the alta headers on mine with a borla race exhaust, i dont think the headers make that much more noise than stock, but mine is pretty loud with the borla exhaust.

Old 08-26-2006, 01:37 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
yes i know

yes i am fully aware of the search options. i would like to know what the manufacture of the pulley says, about this. As there is prob 400 diff opinions on this out there.

i live in New england we have pretty good gas here

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
it's more general than that. That Search function will give you millions of opinions on this....

You don't need to do plugs or injectors with a 15%. Depending on where you live and the gas you have access to, plugs may help.

Matt

Old 08-27-2006, 10:08 PM
fiveover
3rd Gear
Single sided exhaust

Alta, PLEASE DO THE SINGLE SIDED EXHAUST FOR THE "S"

Old 08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
That would be interesting to hear....

yes i am fully aware of the search options. i would like to know what the manufacture of the pulley says, about this. As there is prob 400 diff opinions on this out there.

i live in New england we have pretty good gas here
a lot of the pulley sellers aren't the manufacturer. But there is a reason that there are so many answers, and that is that there is no right answer.

Talk to some of the tuners you respect. Ask them why they think the way they do.

And what the sellers say is pretty well covered in past posts too. People have been changing SC pulleys for ever, and on the Mini for about 4 years. This isn't new ground.

To save you search time (I don't always come across as a "search *****"), I've seen two arguements:

1) You're making more heat, you want to take it out, so go cooler.
2) The knock induced timing retard is a symptom of other problems so you don't want to desensitize the "canary in the coal mine".

Those that advocate 1) have never really addressed 2) and vice versa.

So there you have it.

Matt

FWIW, I fall into the number one camp, but still wonder about #2!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!