Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:02 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apexer: Totally agree. Sorry if you felt I was poking. The belt seat area is significantly larger with the 15% vs a 17%. Thanks for clarifying your point and for all your comments. They are appreciated.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
MCSneworleans
1st Gear
Alta - poor customer service

Venting - I have bought 4 products from Alta - 15 pulley, rear sway bar, exhaust, intake.
Alta has terrible customer service (my experience only) in my opinion; I had to replace my SC with a 15% Alta pulley and ordered another Alta pulley to put on the new SC (I assumed the orginal pulley was not the issue). After I ordered the new pulley, I was able to purchase a used SC with a Mini Mania pulley already on it(thanks Cosmic Purple) and when I tried to return the unopened Alta pulley I was told that I could not because I was going to use another companies product! They acted like I should be punished, and I am still trying to determine if it was their part that failed; at least I know they would never cover the damages if it did...

Old 09-29-2006, 06:25 AM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
apexer: Totally agree. Sorry if you felt I was poking. The belt seat area is significantly larger with the 15% vs a 17%. Thanks for clarifying your point and for all your comments. They are appreciated.
Never thought you were poking, just wanted to clairify my reasoning.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:03 PM
shinka
2nd Gear
Odd that they wouldn't let you return a product.
I just got my car back from the dealer to examine a very odd (and often loud) rattle coming from my car. After a few days of investigation, they think it's my ALTA exhaust, though they're not allowed to inspect aftermarket parts. So I'm going to try and do some inspecting over the coming weekend and see what I can find out. If it is the exhaust, hopefully ALTA might help me out (exhaust was only installed in February), but from the customer service replies here, I won't get my hopes up. I like the look and sound of the exhaust, but the install was a *****, I think I might look at another brand, if I have to replace it.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:49 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Maybe explaining the nature of the rattle will help in the troubleshooting.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:00 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Maybe explaining the nature of the rattle will help in the troubleshooting.
Found your thread on the rattle:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=80744

Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 AM
shinka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Yup, was about to post that.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:39 AM
british RACING green
3rd Gear
i got an alta exhaust too and when i acelerated out of first gear and into Second i would hear a crazy knocking. The Noise is coming from the exhaust hitting the gaurd / exhaust mount underneath the car, right around the back end of the door. I tried to eliminate the problem by first placing a piece of exhaust mount rubber between exhaust and guard/mount- big

Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 AM
british RACING green
3rd Gear
mistake, the guy at advanced auto parts thought it was a good idea but the rubber melted. I ended up just removing the mount/guard thing and used my man skillz with the hammer and just man-ipulated the guard until there was enough clearence for the exhaust and mount to not hit each other. You'll get a lot of satisfaction out of beating that gaurd/mount thing too, not onlyn for making that horrible noise but also because there's so many bad lady dog drivers arround.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:59 AM
shinka
2nd Gear
I'll probably be banging away this weekend, then. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:47 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
shinka: Thank you again for your purchases as well as for your comments here. I apologize if you feel we don't listen or aren't helpful when questions or concerns arise. The best way to resolve any issues is to call first, e-mail second and post last. We are in the office from 8-5pm m-f and some Saturdays as well. If we are unable to answer the phone leave a message and e-mail tech@altaminiperformance.com for these concerns or sales@altaminperformance.com for product pre-purchase questions.

Regardless, there are several areas to check most of which have been mentioned by fellow forum members above. However, if the rattle developed suddenly then it is unlikely to be contact with a heat shield, etc. unless something has broken to now allow it to hit any portion of the exhaust system. Still check those areas first. Finally, rap the actual muffler body itself to listen to see if noise is coming from that too. While unlikely there may be a defect that has developed within the muffler and we will replace that under your warranty.

We look forward to hearing from you with the conclusion to the mystery of the noise.

Thanks again to NAM!

Old 10-03-2006, 07:55 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
MCSNEworleans: Thank you for your purchases as well as your comments here. Without having more information it is difficult for me to determine what if anything was odd about your return. WE accept all returns on any non-closeout, sale items within 30 days of purchase. The reason for the return is irrelevant unless it involves a product that has been installed, defaced, damaged etc. You don't mention that here so I find that unlikely to be the case. We want you to be happy with our products and services, if you don't feel like you were treated properly, and would be willing to provide your name, invoice number, and to whom you spoke with here, I am happy to see what has happened. But to be VERY CLEAR, as much as we would love for you to be using exclusively ALTA Performance Products, it is not a reason to reject a return. I hope we can impress you again on a future purchase and if you choose to do so, feel free to order directly, from me!

Thanks again!

Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 AM
shinka
2nd Gear
Thanks for your response, ALTA. I'm hoping to have some idea of what the problem is before contacting you guys. I imagine I was quick to judge from hearing other opinions of poor customer service on these boards, before attempting to contact you myself.
From the congenial responses I've seen from you over the past few weeks, hopefully, whatever the case may be, I can get the issue responded to promptly. Thanks

Old 10-04-2006, 04:00 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
Hey Adam, Jeff and I had an ongoing ping and pong going about the timing of the CARB stickers for the Alta CAI.

It's my turn to ping.

Any new news?

Enquiring minds want to know. Especially in California .

Thanks for any word you can share.

Best,

-- Don

Old 10-05-2006, 05:32 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
shinka: Thank you for the open mind and again for your business. Keep in touch!

VBG: At last discussion with Jeff we have the CARB # for the Inlet Hose, and the intake is supposed to be any day now. But please keep in mind that we are dealing with a governmental agency not in our state, and sometimes things move very slowly. The CARB exemption is EXTREMELY important to us and we will make a mass announcement once everything is done. Also, I have a test sheet from an inspection station in the LA area that referenced an exemption for the intake already. I have not been able to get confirmation where the testing station was able to get the EO number. Again, working on all of this.

Thanks again folks!

Old 10-07-2006, 05:32 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Hey , I have the Alta 15% pulley, a CAI and Milltek exhaust, what would be my next logical step? 2% crank? Silicone intake tube, any probs hooking up the tube to my K&N set up? Also the Air diverter, what are the gains of this piece, thanks

Alta oil catch can is a for sure!
I have to say being new on this forum coming from a Maxima forum and being able to talk publicly via posting to a vendor like this speaks volumes for this company!
And the people on this forum seem more genuine, probably because of the car.Thanks

Old 10-08-2006, 02:01 PM
shinka
2nd Gear
Well guys, I think I managed a fix for my rattling problem. It appears that the gasket between the resonator and muffler parts of the parts had kind of disintegrated.

We were able to cut a new one from some gasket material from O'Reily's and I haven't heard it since.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:08 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Overzee: Thanks for the business, the compliments and your contibution here! I agree that the inlet tube, a 2% crank and catch can are ideal compliments to the other mods you have made. Also, you mention exhaust, if you need we do offer a replacement catalyst/header pipe kit to compliment the cat-back. The inlet tube will bolt directly to the intake that you show in the picture above. Anything else we can do simply ask! Thanks again

shinka: As I mentioned on the other thread, let me know if you would like a replacement. Appears that may not have been tightened fully during initial installation causing the failure, regardless our continued apologies for the inconvenience. Talk to you soon!

Thanks again and happy Monday!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Overzee: Thanks for the business, the compliments and your contibution here! I agree that the inlet tube, a 2% crank and catch can are ideal compliments to the other mods you have made. Also, you mention exhaust, if you need we do offer a replacement catalyst/header pipe kit to compliment the cat-back. The inlet tube will bolt directly to the intake that you show in the picture above. Anything else we can do simply ask! Thanks again

shinka: As I mentioned on the other thread, let me know if you would like a replacement. Appears that may not have been tightened fully during initial installation causing the failure, regardless our continued apologies for the inconvenience. Talk to you soon!

Thanks again and happy Monday!
Thanks Adam! How about the Air Diverter? Are there any real # gains? Or is it a seat fo the pants thing? or?

Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
hi alta,
i was reading about your 'alta nator' on your site and my question is 'do we need it'? i have the sc pulley, crank pulley modded along with the occ and the diverter and now interested on the 'alta nator' if it makes a difference. what does the 'alta nator' really do?
i have been hearing opinions but thought i should go to the source to find out for sure. should i just save my money towards your exhaust system....
thanks

Old 10-11-2006, 08:32 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Ovrezee: Thanks for asking. It actually makes a significant improvement. One client reported more than 2 secs of his lap time directly related to the diverter and the sprayer. But cooling the fins on the TMIC the charge temps are reduced as the TMIC is then much more efficient. This is also used from the factory on EVO and STi models. Plus the larger diverter forces available air over the core more completely than the plastic factory unit. Hope that helps! Let me know if I missed something.

A S K: Thanks for A S K ing. The answer depends on the size of your crank pulley. Can you kindly let us know what size it is?

Thank you again!

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 10-11-2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Ovrezee: Thanks for asking. It actually makes a significant improvement. One client reported more than 2 secs of his lap time directly related to the diverter and the sprayer. But cooling the fins on the TMIC the charge temps are reduced as the TMIC is then much more efficient. This is also used from the factory on EVO and STi models. Plus the larger diverter forces available air over the core more completely than the plastic factory unit. Hope that helps! Let me know if I missed something.

A S K: Thanks for A S K ing. The answer depends on the size of your crank pulley. Can you kindly let us know what size it is?

Thank you again!

Thanks again Adam, Just ordered the red tube! Currently shopping for the air diverter and probably going with your 19mm sway bar!

Old 10-12-2006, 12:21 AM
A S K
3rd Gear
hi Adam,
thank you for your support. i have the 16% sc pulley and 2% crank pulley.
ever since i got these pulleys with the diverter installed, ive noticed more drag when i let go of the pedal. meaning, it tends to slow down faster thus making me press the pedal more than without the mods added. dont get me wrong, i love the pull however i wish it could be coasting better when i am just cruising. i hope you know what i mean. due to this drag, i think my mpg is lessen. is this normal?
thanks for your support and hope you can help.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:00 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Hey Adam, Yes another queestion! Hope you don't mind? My local Alta supplier up here, in Canada can give me a great deal on a customer ordered 3% crank that the customer changed his mind on, any complications with my setup vs the 2% I was orginally going to go with?(see sig) ie belt size or ?????? thanks so much! This is great! advice from the source

Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
A S K: Thank you for clarification. Addressing you original question about the ALTA-Nator™ pulley first, is yes it would be beneficial on your car. The use of a + sized crank pulley, in this case 2%, would speed up all of the accessories (hence where the additional boost comes from.) The ALTA-Nator™ pulley will bring the speed of the alternator back down to stock levels. This prevents additional parasitic drag, and additional abuse on the inner workings of the alternator.

On your other concern, it is VERY unlikely that a noticable change in decel would be present and considered normal after those pulleys have been installed. Consider that your near 3000 lb car (with you in it of course) traveling at any speed, takes a tremenedous amount of force to slow it down. While compression braking is achieved using a closed throttle plate and the engines compression, the additional tension/drag from the alternator or any other accessories is not possible to slow the car down incrementally. My first inclenation would be faulty brakes( rock stuck behind the pad), or similar. This problem is simply not related to the other mods.

Please let us know if we can help further! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!