Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ovrezee: No issue at all. Just use the instructions included with the pulley to determine proper belt selection. Have a great time!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:42 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
HI Adam, I currently have the stock belt going to the 3% can I re use it? thanks once more

Old 10-12-2006, 11:04 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Ovrezee: 15% PLUS 3% = STOCK BELT! No problem. Good luck!

Thank you.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:14 PM
A S K
3rd Gear
thanks for your insight.
i will add the 'alta nator' and see if there is a difference. if there is any change on my car after 'altanator', than i know it is doing something.
parasitic drag? what is this? can you care to explain little bit more undstandingly? i am new to the car mod/engine world and i am learning as i am getting them on and also on this forum but nothing much on this parasitic drag. i'll be waiting for your education on parasitic drag 101.

decel issue: i could see what you mean. i will definitely check to see if my brakes are faulty but as mentioned, it was noticeable after the mods installed. i had no problem when it was stock and was gaining mpg with the intake that i have installed but after the pulleys, i noticed the decline on my mpg and and deceling faster than normal. i do 80/20 hwy/city driving.
thanks for your help and talk to you soon.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:47 PM
VBG
3rd Gear
CARB for the Alta CAI

Hi Adam,

Sorry, I've been out of touch for a bit.

Thank you for this encouraging news, please do continue to let us know as things proceed. It sounds like CARB for the intake is just around the corner now. It will be very welcomed .

Btw, thank you and thanks to all involved at Alta for persevering with this. I'm sure there will be a huge collective sigh of relief from Alta as well as every owner when those intake stickers become available in California.

Best,

-- Don

Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance

VBG: At last discussion with Jeff we have the CARB # for the Inlet Hose, and the intake is supposed to be any day now. But please keep in mind that we are dealing with a governmental agency not in our state, and sometimes things move very slowly. The CARB exemption is EXTREMELY important to us and we will make a mass announcement once everything is done. Also, I have a test sheet from an inspection station in the LA area that referenced an exemption for the intake already. I have not been able to get confirmation where the testing station was able to get the EO number. Again, working on all of this.

Thanks again folks!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:48 AM
AstroBlackBeast
Former Vendor
Oil Catch Can parts

I have one of your oil catch cans that I haven't installed yet. It was shipped missing one of the little metal quick-release grommets for the oil level sight tube. Is it possible to send one to me? Please get back to me, thanks again and you guys make some nice product.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
VBG: No problem! WE will continue to keep everyone posted. Thank you for your patience!

AstroBlackBeast: We can certainly do that no problem. Either call the retailer, or us directly. We will get some basic info and send it today. We will be on a skeleton crew next week for the SEMA show so try to get in touch soon!

Thanks again guys. If any of you are attending the SEMA show we are in booth 24825. Look forward to meeting you!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:49 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ALTA - Question #1 I have sent you numerous faxes and left messages regarding my busted heim joint on my right front endlilnk. With no response. At this point, I just went down to the local 4x4 shop and got another one. But, right now, my other side is bending at a 45 degree angle. Why are my front links doing this? I have H-Sport comp sways.

Question #2 My endlinks have clunked and rattled from day #1. I was tightening them so many times that I stripped every nut. Thankfully, the vendor I bought from (JSCSpeed) was cool and sent me replacements since I couldn't find any around Phoenix. I then proceeded to loctite all of them. Well, that lasted 4 months. Now they are doing it AGAIN. I shouldn't need to loctite them. What happens when I have to adjust them again? I am not the only one with this problem. Am I going to have any problems like this when I finally get around to intalling my ALTA upper/lower control arms?

Question #3 What is the "RIGHT WAY" to adjust the endlinks? I have gotten several different answers. When I had problems of the heims snapping...everybody accused me of not setting them to the proper length (with was stock BTW)...can't really mess that up. Now, I am slammed down to the ground and did the best I could. Just "guesstimate" is not the answer I wanted to hear from ALTA. Then, get blamed for not properly setting them up? How DO YOU KNOW when they are set right? Especially for a slammed car? Is the bar parallel to the subframe?

I really like ALTA products and am about to buy an alternator and crank pulley from you. Don't make me wish I haden't...Cause I'm leaning towards that way......thanks guys :impatient

Old 10-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To set end-links....

you want them to be centered when the car is at rest. That means the bolt of the heim joint comes out perpendicular to the end-link. This allows for the most angular deflection.

Many have gone back and forth on the end-links. The stockers are light, and have wonderful angular range of motion, but they aren't adjustable so they're no good for corner balanced cars without some pre-load in the sways. It just seems that there isn't a perfect solution out yet..... FWIW, I have the Altas on my car in the rear, and when I bought them used they were very sloppy. I got new joint from Alta and now they are fine. But I get the feeling that for the aftermarket end-links out there, they are basically a wear item.....

Matt

Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 PM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
you want them to be centered when the car is at rest. That means the bolt of the heim joint comes out perpendicular to the end-link. This allows for the most angular deflection.

Many have gone back and forth on the end-links. The stockers are light, and have wonderful angular range of motion, but they aren't adjustable so they're no good for corner balanced cars without some pre-load in the sways. It just seems that there isn't a perfect solution out yet..... FWIW, I have the Altas on my car in the rear, and when I bought them used they were very sloppy. I got new joint from Alta and now they are fine. But I get the feeling that for the aftermarket end-links out there, they are basically a wear item.....

Matt

Hey Matt...I've had these problems since day 1. And you have provided the best explaination as of yet. BTW, thanks again for the scoop. FWIW, I am going to make my own links from now on. $7 per hiem and $6 for the shaft. $40 per set compared to $117 (especially a "wear item") is a good deal. Same with the control arms.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:35 PM
GreenIguana
2nd Gear
Alta Exhaust issues

Why does my Alta exhaust have fitment issues out of the box??
The dealer installed and it comes out of the end at an angle, now it have melted my rear valance and they tell me I have to spend more time and money to go to a muffler shop and have them weld another piece to hold it from burning my car????
Why is this not fixed in R&D, and why is it still being sold with this issue???

I have been happy with my other Alta products but this one has fumed me on ever buying another one and wishing I had gotten the Borla.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
GreenIguana: Thank you for your previous and current purchases. This is NOT normal nor acceptable. Not knowing more about the installation facility, etc. I can only assume from here that this is related to the installation. The system will fit perfectly if installed properly. The tip should NOT be at an angle, touching the bumper etc. I am at the SEMA show until Monday but would be happy to speak to your installer, yourself etc. as shortly thereafter as possible. We warranty every part we sell regardless where it was purchased. I look forward to speaking to you then. Please e-mail me with your contact information and if you don't here from me sooner, please call me on Tuesday. Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:30 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALTA2
GreenIguana: Thank you for your previous and current purchases. This is NOT normal nor acceptable. Not knowing more about the installation facility, etc. I can only assume from here that this is related to the installation. The system will fit perfectly if installed properly. The tip should NOT be at an angle, touching the bumper etc. I am at the SEMA show until Monday but would be happy to speak to your installer, yourself etc. as shortly thereafter as possible. We warranty every part we sell regardless where it was purchased. I look forward to speaking to you then. Please e-mail me with your contact information and if you don't here from me sooner, please call me on Tuesday. Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance.

Pefect example of an awesome customer service...!

Old 11-03-2006, 10:33 AM
curv872
4th Gear
When will you be making an official new products announcement?
I noticed coasttocoast has already "spilt the beans".

Old 11-03-2006, 10:44 AM
UKSUV
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sprp85
Pefect example of an awesome customer service...!
I know that Matt replied to my post but ALTA did not. I would like to hear their answers to my questions. And I posted it almost 2 weeks ago.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:05 PM
shinka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Except that there are many people who have had installation issues with the ALTA exhaust, including Randy Webb and myself. I've put it on twice now and can't get it right. If there are some supplementary instructions to get it to install correctly, I'd be very appreciative of it.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:49 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Originally Posted by shinka
Except that there are many people who have had installation issues with the ALTA exhaust, including Randy Webb and myself. I've put it on twice now and can't get it right. If there are some supplementary instructions to get it to install correctly, I'd be very appreciative of it.

I believe Randy Webb had an older version of alta exhaust, which several people experienced fitment issues..

I heard newer ones are alot better in term of fitment

Old 11-03-2006, 08:53 PM
shinka
2nd Gear
I got mine in…I believe it was Jan or Feb of this year. Is mine new or old?

Old 11-05-2006, 07:28 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
shinka: Thank you for the open mind and again for your business. Keep in touch!

VBG: At last discussion with Jeff we have the CARB # for the Inlet Hose, and the intake is supposed to be any day now. But please keep in mind that we are dealing with a governmental agency not in our state, and sometimes things move very slowly. The CARB exemption is EXTREMELY important to us and we will make a mass announcement once everything is done. Also, I have a test sheet from an inspection station in the LA area that referenced an exemption for the intake already. I have not been able to get confirmation where the testing station was able to get the EO number. Again, working on all of this.

Thanks again folks!
Any update on the CARB exemption for the CAI?

Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
LArry Clemens: Jeff met with an ARB rep at SEMA and he assured us things were progressing well. They were finishing a 128 PT request from another company in CA and ours were just behind them for the second pass through. Sorry for the delay.

shinka: Yours should be new. If you are having an ongoing problem, PLEASE call me or Jeff in tech directly. Lets solve it! You can see by other members that this is NOT an issue that effects all. Very few have any issues at all.

sprp85: Randy's issue was related to the earlier Milltek header that rotated the exhaust flange beyond factory. This could be compensated for with the slipfits found in their own exhaust, but since ours is properly flanged, it forced the system off course. Milltek has since resolved this issue. Photos showing the problem were found (and i believe still found) on Randy's site. The show the factory header next to the Milltek and you can see the tail flange is off. (Also, thank you for compliment above;-)

UKSUV: I personally don't have an e-mail or phone message from you. I will be out of the office for SEMA but will be back late in the week. If you purchased these new and have the receipt, just let me know and if you are in the warranty period we are certainly happy to help. There are two wasy to install the front links. If you have a lowered vehicle, follow the specifics to that. If not then follow the instructions for the stock height. Failure to install and adjust properly can biind the endlinks. The links have reverse threads. Be sure to hold the center section when tightening them. This is NOT a common issue (please keep in mind we use these on our own cars so we should certainly know. PLUS we use these on a variety of cars and certainly not just limited to the MINI.) For #3 PLEASE see the latest instructions. If they are unclear call us prior to proceeding. No one wants you to have an issue now or down the road. Sorry if this didn't get answered in a timely fashion.

curv872: Check out our new website launching on the 11th. It has all the new parts. We think it is great that our loyal dealers took the information they gained at the show and are publishing it to their advantage. Let us know with any specific questions.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-06-2006, 02:02 PM
asinn
1st Gear
alta new intercooler version 2

hi,

I saw some website are selling alta new intercooler, however i still haven't see anything on the alta website yet, is alta going to release the intercooler on their website? also could you tell me what is the major difference between the newer design intercooler than the older one? how much performance improvement will i expect fromt the new design?

regards
Alfred

Old 11-09-2006, 04:46 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
asinn,
When the new site launches you will see the new IC. So yes we are releasing one!

The difference is what it does different compared to the old one. The new intercooler makes it power with less restriction on the charge side of the core. The charge side has a much larger cross section, and in turn allows for free flowing air on the charge side. When we designed our original core, we made it the same as stock (in that air flows down through it) but made it as big as reasonably possible. More than a year ago, when we were coming up with the Twurbo kit, we were looking at making something bigger. Given the space constraints under the hood, we came up with what you see now.

Quite a while ago, we gave one of these to Dr. Obnoxs on NAM, and he reported the findings. The findings were more HP! So that is how it started.

Its good to be back home from SEMA, sorry for not giving the NAM community much attention lately!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:59 AM
minimort
5th Gear
When does the new site launch?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 AM
Minibeast
4th Gear
I just checked...3 hour 27 minutes...LOL

Old 11-14-2006, 07:42 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
What?!? I get 4 hrs 17 minutes

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!