Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:47 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys/Gals: I just checked and it appears to be about 6 hours!

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Minibeast
4th Gear
Your in a different timezone!

Old 11-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minibeast
Your in a different timezone!
Am not I've been in the same one ALL DAY

Oh yeah, 2 hours 11 minutes

Old 11-14-2006, 10:35 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
It is up and running now! Be sure to click refresh if you are still getting the countdown. Look for more dyno results etc. to begin popping up on the site in the coming weeks. And for any questions or concerns let me or the staff here know! We are always happy to help.

Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance Products!

Old 11-14-2006, 10:51 AM
shinka
2nd Gear
I've gotta say, as a website designer myself it's much improved over the old site.
Is there any difference, other than appearance, regarding the version 2.0 intakes and pulleys?

Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Red Scooter
5th Gear
Adam,

I was just about to buy your CAI (now known as Classic). What is the difference between it and Version 2?

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Just checked out the V2 pulley. With that sucker turning at 15K+, it seems like big cutouts for the bolts in the 'collar' would induce imbalance/vibration, no? Curious to get Alta's take on that aspect. TIA.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
shinka: Thank you for the compliment! The changes depend on the item. The intakes and endlinks are mostly cosmetic. The intercooler, S/C pulleys and swaybars are all different in construction, function etc. Check out the details on each part for more info, and more info will be coming soon!

Red Scooter: The choice is yours. The V 2.0 includes black air box and V 2.0 badging, the classic is the two stage bright silver air box and no badge. Performance is identical between both.

Thanks folks for asking!

Old 11-14-2006, 06:44 PM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mad props for updated website.

BTW, are you guys going to be updating product line on http://www.sportcompactonly.com/ (www.motorweb.com) ? to newer versions?

AND! please consider adding the twurbo system on their web sometime early next year because if you guys do, that will be the time for me to tc.. (a poor college student who likes to use bill-me-later..)

Old 11-14-2006, 07:00 PM
obehave
6th Gear
How's about some more info on the Positive Steering Response System:
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...esponse-System

How much can you affect castor for instance?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 PM
boxerboy43
1st Gear
i've got a serious problem, or so i think. i just installed the occ on my 04 S, and when i start it up, it sputters and pops. any ideas?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 PM
discodan
5th Gear
is the black paint on the V.2 Intercooler anything like the thermal dispersant coating that other vendors use? or is it purely cosmetic? is it a powder coating or is it ceramic, anodizing, etc.? thanks in advance. site and new products looking good by the way

Old 11-14-2006, 09:03 PM
boxerboy43
1st Gear
disreguard my last, had a pinched hose. derrr...

Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Strom
4th Gear
What is the volume level at cruise and at idle for the 3" Sportone exhaust as compared to the 2.5" version and, say, the Milltek?

Old 11-15-2006, 04:07 AM
polizei
6th Gear
The new site is awesome ALTA!

-Cody

Old 11-15-2006, 04:33 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by polizei
The new site is awesome ALTA!

-Cody
+1

Old 11-15-2006, 07:40 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
How's about some more info on the Positive Steering Response System:
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...esponse-System

How much can you affect castor for instance?

This thread needs a title change. It's mainly the Alta Announcement thread.
I've probably asked a half dozen questions on this thread and getting an answer seems to be pretty damn rare.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:58 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Eric_Rowland: Sorry for any confusion. If you click on the "Features" tab about the v 2.0 pulley you will see a narrative about the center hub. A photo is shown below. But to cut to the infamous chase the center section is balanced during production and the entire assembly is balanced down to .02 grams (even better than the OEM part) This is balanced at 16,000 RPM. No worries about an improperly balanced pulley.

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/s...63_medium.jpg?

sprp85: Thanks for the compliment on the new site! MotorWeb is one of our dealers they have the new information in hand. I will have our sales manager contact them today to see when they might be up and updated. (You can always call them for the current parts not shown on the site.) Thanks again!

obehave: Sorry that I didn't stay late at work last night to answer your question. We are open from 9-5 M-F. But got it this morning. The PSRS for the MCS adds more than 1.5 deg. of caster angle. Let us know if we can help further. If I missed another question let me know. We are here to answer questions and announcements are a side light. Our apologies if I(we) have offended you.

boxerboy43: Make sure you have the grey line capped, the PCV is clean and that the hoses are routed properly. If that checks out, call our tech line at 503-643-4677 ask for me or Jeff. We are both here to help! Thanks for your purchase!

discodan: It is a powder coat with a reflective panel on the bottom. (Updated photo showing the reflective panel coming soon.) Thanks for asking!

boxerboy43: Glad you got it fixed!

Strom: The 3" system has a slightly mellower tone as the larger pipe diameter further reduces resonance. The cruise tone (which is nearly nil with the 2.5" version) is very tame. Let us know if we can help further!

polizei: Thank you! Look for more detail, dynos, etc. between now and January 1st. Thanks again!

mdsbrain: Thank you too!

obehave: see above

Thanks again folks! Look forward to helping more very soon!

Last edited by ALTAPerformance; 11-15-2006 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
...If you click on the "Features" tab about the v 2.0 pulley you will see a narrative about the center hub. A photo is shown below. But to cut to the infamous chase the center section is balanced during production and the entire assembly is balanced down to .02 grams (even better than the OEM part) This is balanced at 16,000 RPM. No worries about an improperly balanced pulley.

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/s...63_medium.jpg?
Ah, a picture is worth 1,000 words. It makes sense now - hadn't thought about drilling for counterbalance. Thanks for the response.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:30 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
obehave: Sorry that I didn't stay late at work last night to answer your question. We are open from 9-5 M-F. But got it this morning. The PSRS for the MCS adds more than 1.5 deg. of caster angle. Let us know if we can help further. If I missed another question let me know. We are here to answer questions and announcements are a side light. Our apologies if I(we) have offended you.
No offense at all.
Just poking to get an answer

We all get busy

Thanks. I'm looking to improve handling but thinking this might be more help for a track car than a auto-x car.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
obehave: Thanks for the reply. You might be surprised to know that this is beneficial for street cars as well. One of the major benefits that I found on my own MCS' is that when using plus sized wheels and tires (17" and larger) that it prevents wandering on uneven pavement. By removing the rubber bushing and replacing it with something less pliable the mechanical advantage is moved back to the control arm instead of at the wheel. Makes a much more direct path to work and less likelihood of spilling you Starbucks! Just my two cents.

Thank you all whom have visited the new site and the positive comments. We continue to add to content daily!

Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Nice website!

Alta, thank you for updating your website. It is refreshing to see a vender (no offense to others) that has an updated website. Hmm all new products on the website. My only "gripe" is that I just installed a "classic" pulley and I wish I had know about the new version. But then again, if you made a pre-announcement, everyone would like to know the numbers, when is it going to be released...okay I am ranting...sorry. Please keep the updates...er...updated and let us know if there is anything new on the horrizon...

Thanks,
Frodo

Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Frodo: Will do! Thanks for the kudos! Look again in a bit for some additional dyno results, pictures etc.

Thanks again!

Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Frodo
3rd Gear
I do have one request though. It would be nice if you offered USPS shipping for the Military. I have to go though other venders to get your products. Not that I mind too much as they give me a discount too.

Regards,

Frodo

Old 11-17-2006, 05:15 AM
Big Daddy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alta,

Props on the new website. Nicely done. I just purchased the M7 RAM scoop for my OEM intercooler and am wondering how your new IC will fit with it. Thanks.

BD

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!