Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:13 PM
gavin7777
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you guys supply optimized bumpstops with your lowering springs?

Old 04-26-2005, 09:30 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Wow... great thread

nice to see a Vendor with the " " to give straight up answers and feedback

kudos

Old 04-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Thank you for your response. This is good to know. Since you asked...What is the weakest and stiffest rate of your spring? And what is it at normal ride-height?

On top of that, do you have any pics of them on an MC? Just asking cause the MC doesnt drop as far as the MCS, but i would be interested in seeing it

Old 04-27-2005, 10:46 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
kyriian,
We have actually had many people tell us that their car runs smoother than it did before. People that have really pushed the car have said that is shifts a little smoother because the engine RPM drops quicker when shifing into the next gear.

As far as your concerns about the longevity of the belts. If anything it would be better. This is due to the larger pulleys, both the SC pulley and crank pulley, compared to using a smaller SC pulley. There will be more surface area for the belts to bite on the pulleys, which means the tension on the belts can be less, causing longer wear.

Andy,
Of course we would! We have nothing to hide about our products. We don't have any part we make that doesn't do what we claim. The IC is a big question for most people because of the cost, and because there are not many people out there that have posted their dyno results. Randy should have the dyno run with the 8-10WHP and if we can get a hold of him we will post it. Andy, do you have an upgraded IC?

dominicminicoopers,
Our spring rates are kept somewhat secret. What i can tell you is that it will lower your car the amount we say, and are a perfect match for spirited street driving with the stock struts. We have had other people with aftermarket struts with our springs, say they were a great match with the springs.

Remember our springs are meant to lower the car and provide a slightly stiffer ride for better handling on the street. They are not meant to be stiff like a track car or autocross car. If people are looking for this type of performance, coilovers are the way to go. They are stiffer dampened, stiffer sprung and will make the car handle even more like a gokart. But for the street can be little harsh. The customer these are design for are those track and autocrossers guys that will put up with the stiffness on the street.

gavin7777,
We could supply custom bump stops with our springs but the cost wouldn't be worth it. Since it is very simple to cut the factory bump stops, and it is somewhat free, this really is the best choice. If you are instrested in keeping the stock one in-tacked for returning your car back to stock, i can assure the amount removed from bump stops isn't enough to cause problems with the stock springs.

El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini,
No problem, like i said we have nothing to hide, and don't mind answering the tuff questions.

RallyMINI,
For some reason we don't! We had some older pictures that got lost. So the only one we have is the one on the website. We will be removing the H&R coilovers from our car to show how much it is lowered in the next few days. Be on the lookout!

Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Andy,
Of course we would! We have nothing to hide about our products. We don't have any part we make that doesn't do what we claim. The IC is a big question for most people because of the cost, and because there are not many people out there that have posted their dyno results. Randy should have the dyno run with the 8-10WHP and if we can get a hold of him we will post it. Andy, do you have an upgraded IC?
I'm not sure your response makes sense given my question, so I'll post it again:

So, if you DID test the efficiency and pressure drop of both the stock IC as well as your replacement, then would you mind sharing those results and the conditions under which you measured them?
I'm specifically interested in seeing the efficiency and pressure drop of both the stock IC as well as your replacement, information that has nothing to do with Randy's dyno runs.

I do not currently have a replacement IC although I have done a fair amount of testing with the stock one.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:58 AM
gavin7777
2nd Gear
Hey thanks for the reply! So do you reccomend cutting the bumpstops in half? And do the springs come with installation instructions? Thanks again, and this is a great idea for you guys to respond to your consumers like this!!

Hey how about posting an ALTA CAI sound byte? To show how your intake sounds compared to the new M7 AGS, for those of us trying to decide which sounds better. After all, the only real noticeable difference between the two is probably the sound! Peace!!

Old 04-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
I was wondering. I only plan on doing a 15% pulley reduction or a 2% Crank reduction... now which would you do? I don't plan on doing both. Only 1.

Does this sound correct? I was thinking of doing a 2% Crank pulley reduction first (1-2psi increase). Then putting in a 15% Pulley reduction with larger injectors and Giac chip down the line. Would this setup seem ideal? So technically it will be a 17% total reduction with Larger Injectors, Larger Intercooler and a new ECU.

Old 04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Alta2, if you have nothing to hide about your products, why would Alta spring rates be kept secret?

Old 04-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yah, thanks for the info about the pictures. I was actually looking for pics of them installed on a Cooper as opposed to a COOPER S (your project car)....thansk though

Hiding the rates is kinda weird...its not like we could replicate them Are they atleast split? Or the same on all springs?

Old 04-27-2005, 02:07 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a lightweight crank pull at outmotoring and from what I read it's just a stock sized pulley that weighs less. Is this correct? And so far, what have your customers been saying about it when used with the reduction pulley(say 15%)? I've received some information from Jcampos and I was wondering if you any more customer information/reactions.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:09 PM
jbsf3
3rd Gear
Exhaust Questions

Alta,
I sent an e-mail to your webpage e-mail address several days ago and I have yet to receive a response, so I'll try here. I researched the forum to find answers to these questions with no luck- so I thought I would go straight to the source. I am ready to buy but would like to get a little more info on the following questions. Here we go:
1. One of my main concerns is how loud the system is
going to be. I actually like the volume of the stock
system except for the droning at highway speeds. How
much louder is your system versus stock? I drive the
car approximately 60 miles each day and a loud exhaust
would quickly get old.
2. I have heard of past problems with this system and
the exhaust tips. I've heard that the left one will
actually turn a different color than the right one-
has this been fixed? If you are shipping them pre
"burned" can I order one direct from you to ensure
that I am getting the latest version?
3. I assume the exhaust kit is complete? I won't need
to purchase any bolts or gaskets when it comes time
for install- correct?
Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:58 PM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by sfjames2
Alta2, if you have nothing to hide about your products, why would Alta spring rates be kept secret?
probably to keep others from re-badging them

Old 04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Andy,
Your question:
"So, if you DID test the efficiency and pressure drop of both the stock IC as well as your replacement, then would you mind sharing those results and the conditions under which you measured them?"

Asks IF(First part of the sentence), we did those things that we would report them. My answer was yes, why wouldn't we? It would be just like the dyno run from Randy. I am not sure why you seem to not be interested in dyno runs also. This is ultimately as important as the other numbers you search for.

Trust me, Alta, as does all other NAM members, know you like the numbers and if we had them we would give them to you. At this point the IC has been proven by many many people that it makes the HP, it helps with Det, and keeps the engine running safer, and we sell tons of them. With that said, we don't NEED to get the numbers you ask for, but it surely would be nice to have them. It would nothing but help the sales of the part increase.

There is one famous car right now doing 12.6's with the IC! I really wish Hubi would have had before and after dyno runs. This would have really showed some great gains.

Andy, If your poking at us for a deal on an IC to test, your poking worked! Give us a call and we can discuss this further. We would like nothing more than the NUMBERS man to get our IC and do some testing.

Gavin7777,
Yes, our instructions tell you where to cut the bumpstops, and they are very easy to cut. Just a sharp kitchen knife will do it.

Pat_cooper,
Besides the install time, if you are going to do one or the other the SC pulley will give you the most gains. This is well proven to be a safe combo and a stock car. Your plans for the future are also well thought out. The SC pulley, intake, exhaust, and 2% crank pulley are all great gainers in HP.

sfjames2,
Good point! There are going to be somethings we won't divulge if it helps our competitors. Look at the SC pulley. We tell everyone the features, then it gets copied feature for feature.

The thing with the springs is, if we give you the numbers and they are X, what does that tell you? And how are you going to compare them to others? How are you going to determine if that is the best rate for you? If i say they are 300lb spring at 3.25" load height with an 8" preload how does that help? There are so many factors, like at 3" or 4" what is the rate there? This would determine how the spring reacts to the normal road bumps. No one else is going to give you this info.

We just talking about lowering springs, not a race coilover strut with adjustable dampening and ride hieght. The customer we are trying to market our springs to are people that want to lower their car slighty (for looks and performance) and don't want a harsh bouncy ride. They want stock or a little stiffer, just like we claim. Generally these customers won't care about the rates and may not know what the numbers mean. The people that are interested in the numbers, and know what they mean, are into the relm of coilovers and they should care.

If ever the ALTA coilovers come out (not saying that is anytime soon) these types of measurements are nessecary to divuldge.

RallyMini,
That is something we don't have, standard mini lowered with our springs. Basically the difference is just slightly higher than the S. This is because of the weight. Since the standard Cooper isn't part of our arsenal, and you are interested in a set, we could offer you something special off the price in trade for your pictures. Just let us know!

meanboy,
Right now the only crank pulley we are selling is the stock size lightened pulley. The benifit is faster reving, and more WHP due the loss of 6lbs from the crankshaft. The larger 2% crank pulleys are going to be shipping in roughly 2 weeks. These are not only removing the weight from the crank, but the larger size spins the SC faster making more boost.

As far as what customers say, which right now is just a couple (With the 2% pulley) Randy Webb, and D1JL. The reports are just as you would expect, a 15% SC pulley car with the 2% crank pulley acts just like the 17% sc pulley.

jbsf3,
Sorry we havne't responded to your email quickly enough, over looked emails are not something that happens very offten.

1.The In-cabin sound is very nice, not droning like the stock system. The sound outside the car is a very similar tone to the stocker just a little louder. There is a really nice sound clip on the exhaust sticky thread.

2.Yes, the tips turning colors was something we battled with the initial systems. Since our system is a single sided system, and the dual tips are the desired type of tip it was vey hard to get a system to not turn colors. They always will turn gold, something SS does when it gets hot, so we heat treated the tips to sort of "pre gold" them. The ensures they are both the same color.

Systems that use a muffler on each side of the car, like the stock exhaust, don't have this problem because of the equal split in the middle. This is something we have considered, but our 2.5" single sided exhaust has the benifit of being lighter, and freer flowing not have a split in the exhaust. Using a muffler in the middle of the exhaust helps keep some of the noise out of the cabin, and if we used this with two mufflers in the back(on each side of the car) it would be too quiet. That is the reason why we did it the way we did. On forced induction cars, the bigger the better! Those 2.25" systems will not make the same power as our 2.5" system. So why not a 3", sound. It would be a little loud for most mini owners, but who knows, we always have something up our sleeve!

3.Of course everything you need to bolt it up, except wrenches and time. We include grade 8 bolts and washers custom made gaskets that match our flanges.

Sorry you had to wait for our response here, i hope we answered your questions!

Old 04-28-2005, 02:31 AM
jbsf3
3rd Gear
Alta,
Thanks for the great response- I'll be ordering from you soon...

Old 04-29-2005, 09:07 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Andy,
Still haven't heard from you, we would love for you to have our TMIC, and give us some numbers of your own. I have one sitting right here with your name on it!

Old 04-29-2005, 09:19 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
thanks for explaining, I can understand that.
james

Old 04-29-2005, 09:19 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Jeff, Just a couple of questions for you.

Your exhaust is cat-back correct?

Which suspension upgrades require an alingment afterwords. I've been eyeing the complete setup, but probably wont be able to purchase all at once, and would like to have the alingment done as few times as possible without going thru a set of tires.

Thanks,

Nik

Old 04-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
Are you guys still having issues with one of the exhaust tips discoloring due to your 1 pipe setup?

Old 04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Andy,
Still haven't heard from you, we would love for you to have our TMIC, and give us some numbers of your own. I have one sitting right here with your name on it!
If andy isnt interested I am . I would be more than happy to do some dyno pulls before and after !

Old 04-29-2005, 11:05 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Andy,
Sure, I'd be happy to test out your IC alongside the stock one (swapping back and forth should be pretty quick). I'll send you an email.

Old 05-02-2005, 09:59 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
xsmini,
Our 2.5" exhaust is a catback. Uses straight through 2.5"Id mufflers so there is no restriction at all. Single sided for light weight, SS for lifetime of use.

ANY suspension mod requires alignment! Some maybe thinking swaybars don't, yes by them selves they don't but since you have to unbolt the subframe, in thereory it will change the alignment somewhat.

When you lower the car the toe in changes, this is what really kills tire wear. The rear end has problems with camber being too much. That is why we make the lower control arms. They are adjustable to remove the negative camber and use sphereical rod ends for no deflection under hard cornering.

Pat_cooper,
We have recently changed to a better cleaner tip that doesn't excert this problem as bad as the first. But it still does and we continue to have the tips heat treated so they always stay that gold color.

Andy,
Just got your email and will be contacting you soon!

detlman,
Just give me an email and we can talk about it!

Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks guys, thats what I thought.

Nik

Old 05-03-2005, 06:04 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
I sent you a pm

detlman,
Just give me an email and we can talk about it!

Old 05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Alta springs on a convertible

Currently, my 04 JCW MCS has the Alta springs, which provide a superior cornering capability over the stock ones while maintain a relatively comfortable ride during the spirited street driving. When I take delivery of the 05 JCW MCSC next month, I'm considering a similar setup, springs and sway bar. Due to the heavier wt of the convertible, how will that impact the car after upgrading to the Alta springs in terms of the lowering height, car ride, spring rate, and cornering capability?

Since the exhaust mount on the convertible is different than the hardtop, do you have any recommendation for mounting an aftermarket exhaust on a convertible?

Thank you for your time and effort in answering the questions! :smile:

Old 05-04-2005, 05:57 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
catch can ?

this was touched on earlier in this thread, but I'd like a more detailed answer: My catch can only seems to capture **** colored water-and lots of it! I can half fill the puppy in about 2-3 weeks.I live in northeast seacoast mass. and it has been suggested that my proximity to the ocean adds to this tendancy.I installed this thing to prevent oil from entering my intercooler! wtf?
Does this mean that without the cc I am pouring this oil/water mixture through my ic into the injectors and eventually into my engine?????? I'd love some feedback here.By the way ,I have LOTS of your products on my car and I'm really a fan regardless of how this post may come off sounding to the contrary. Jock

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!