Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:54 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
I know this has been asked and answered before - but didn't find a "definitive" answer indicating that someone had made this work (or not). I'm particularly interested in the combo of Alta silicone (MCSa) and Dinan airbox... will this work, and how well?
FYI - I just did this install tonight - Dinan intake with blue Alta silicone hose (automatic version) - it went together with no problems and no shimming, etc. required.

Appears to "just work". And looks sweet.

By the way - what's the extra foot or so of blue vacuum-looking hose for that came with my intake hose?

Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM
nascar mini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alta

Just installed CAI today,attemped to install new blue Alta hose,it fits on air box perfect and also on the butterfly valve but, the small line that connects to the hose doesn't line up at all with nipple on the blue hose,its like it was ''clocked'' wrong.(nipple angled foward instead of being pointed directly at the line) The box says''6 sp manual". What am i doing wrong or do i have wrong hose?(03' MCS) 9/02 build.
Thanks,
Bill

Old 01-07-2007, 05:23 PM
ddminikc
2nd Gear
I have searched the thread but can not find this question. Will the JCW Strut Tower Brace work with an Alta CAI?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 AM
robino
4th Gear
Alta shifter question:

What other ***** can screw onto your Alta short throw shifters?
what is the thread pitch?

Old 01-08-2007, 10:32 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
newbs49: The systems do start from 2.5" and immediately swell to 3" (Also, the TWURBO™ downpipe is 3" and then necks down to 2.5" to go into what were the only exhaust systems available.) Speaking from a pullied car or one with a larger S/C but no turbo, the switch from 2.5" to 3" is still VERY beneficial. HP and TRQ are significantly improved with the 3" system in these cases. By making the plumbing larger as you get farther from the cylinder head gives enough restriction for creating torque as well as ample flow for horsepower. One reason why all systems for the MCS aren't 3" is they do produce more dB than 2.5".

Going back to the TWURBO™ cars, it would be best to mod the DP and cat-back to have a 3" section in that specific location.

Hope that helps! Thanks for asking!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
nascar mini: Thank you for your purchase. Without a photo it would be hard to diagnose. But sounds like the tube needs to be rotated a bit. This may not be your fault at all, please send a photo and explanation to tech@altaminiperformance.com We would be happy to trace it for you!

ddminikc: Good question. We have not tried it. However, clients have reported that they either removed just the rubber in that section from the top of the airbox, or trimmed the box slightly. If anyone has photos, PLEASE post em here! Thank you again for asking!

robino: Lots of others fit. Whalen, MOMO, stock, and countless others. When you order the ALTA shifter, be sure to choose either the stock **** adapter (for ***** like the Whalen or Stock) or the ALTA **** for the other styles that either screw or clamp on. Hope that helps!

Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:54 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Us California folk are still interested in the SMOG deal. Which SEMA , 06 or 07 , were you refering to ?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:48 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
trackster: Sorry if you missed this. It was from page 29 of this thread. SEMA 2006. Let us know if we can help you in anyway further!

Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance Products!

"Referencing CARB. I have tried to be as honest and forthright with all of my posts (as well as Jeff) about this matter. They are a governmental agency in California and we are in Oregon. (Not an excuse just a point to consider.) The timing was intended to work out and be done at SEMA. (Which BTW is the first week of November less than 8 weeks ago not 12-15 as was inferred above.) You may want to read back some of my posts. Jeff met with an ARB rep at the SEMA show about the applications (the intake is not the only piece) and where we were at. He assured Jeff it would happen but there would inevitably be more hoops to jump through. Jeff continues to answer each of their multitude of requests. Also, Steve's Auto Clinic has successfully passed smog with his clients cars, with the intake installed in California. (He is not a SMOG station.) If you have an immediate reason to be tested, I STRONGLY suggest speaking to him directly about what is necessary. We want to help in way possible. Just let us know." 12-29-2006

Old 01-20-2007, 04:22 PM
jeff_scooper
1st Gear
Supercharger Pulley

I had my mechanic install a Craven Speed 15% reduction supercharger pulley on my 2005 MINI this weekend. After the install, we noticed the serpentine belt was not centered over the idler pulley; in fact the belt hangs over the outboard edge of the idler pulley by 1/16 inch. We know the belt was centered with the stock pulley installed because there was a mark on the center of the back face of the belt from the groove machined in the center of the idler pulley.

We tried the Craven Speed, an Original Alta, and an Alta 2.0 pulley, and they all caused the same problem. KI don't think the pulleys were installed improperly. My mechanic has installed over a hundred supercharger pulleys, and I feel he is competent at this type of modification.

We also compared my stock supercharger pulley to a stock pulley off a different MINI and noticed that the distance between the hub a face on the inboard side was shorter on my pulley than the other stock pulley. This would allow my stock pulley to line up with the idler pulley properly.

My question to you is do you know if there has been any change in the MINI supercharger over the years that may cause this problem? Perhaps a change in the location of the supercharger, or the length of the supercharger shaft? My MINI is a March 2005 build.

I would appreciate any help or experience you can offer.

Thanks,

Jeff Conley
Sugar Land, Texas

Old 01-21-2007, 05:00 PM
robino
4th Gear
Alta,

Can you sell me a blemished direct flow IC ver. 2.0 for a lot less than a perfect one?

thanks.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
jeff_scooper: Thank you for your mail. The S/C has not changed in this regard over the years. While we appreciate the expertiece of your installer, this would certainly indicate that the shaft of the S/C was pulled slightly out of the S/C. When this happens, the pulley will not line up properly with the other pulleys on the car. The solution is to remove the S/C from the car, and either have an EATON S/C rebuilder recenter the shaft, or look online for some instructions.

While very uncommon this can occur when either the wrong puller is used, or a prying motion is applied behind the pulley against the body of the S/C.

Our sincerest apologies for the difficulty and inconvenience. If your installer has any questions that we can answer, please have him/her contact us.

robino: stay tuned to the garage sale by the weekend. There is rumor of a slightly dented V2 that may go to that sale. Thanks again for asking!

Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
Mr. Alta,

I have the old school CAI air filter with the netting all around the filter. Over many cleanings the base rubber part has split due to over tighting from trying to keep it on the mounting flange. I just got your catalog ( a lot of cool stuff ! ) and I am wondering how much a new filter element would be. I all so have the origenal 15% pulley and want to to know what advantages does the new 2.0 pulley have. And finealy will the box top fit the old CAI shroud? Thanks for your time.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Intercooler question

I have a question regarding the Alta Classic air-to-air intercooler, and I may just be overthinking things. The description sates that it is 100% larger and has 40% greater internal volume. I understand the benefit of increased cooling area from the "100% bigger", but what is the benefit of the greater internal volume? Is it just to have more intake air within the cooling area at a given time? Does the increased volume have any affect on the pressurized intake charge due to the supercharger having a larger volume to fill before the air enters the intake manifold? (think of trying to drink through one of those character straws that has a large head molded right in the middle of the straw - you have to suck up enough liquid to fill the head before it actually gets to your mouth) It seems like if the supercharging system was designed to work with an intake tract of a certain length and volume, that adding a large amount to that volume would mess with the set-up. If that's the case, is the difference pretty much made up by going to a smaller s/c pulley?

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 AM
nascar mini
4th Gear
Sorry if i missed it earlier threads, but whats the difference in the two versions of the diverter?Seriously considering this mod for 03s,15%+2%,DDM CAI,MSD,JACKSON,NGK IX,BORLA CATBACK.Or should i save and get software next?Thanks,your input is appreciated.
Bill

Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
tavis1: Thank you for your long term business! The filter is available for $79.99. The V 2.0 pulley is lighter weight, has better belt grip and cooling. But, if you already have the Classic ALTA 15% installed, the differences aren't large enough to warrant replacing the pulley. However, I would suggest that you look at our lightened crank pulleys for a 2-3% increase in size. This will improve HP, TRQ, throttle response etc. Spend the money on that upgrade instead. Also, the CAI shroud will fit any ALTA airboxes produced since 2002. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help further!

70spop: Good thought, but yes you might be over thinking it a bit;-) The added volume within the core allows better cooling over a larger surface area. The S/C is more than capable of filling this just as quickly as the std. size core. There is no lag in boost response etc as a result of the larger core. Thanks again for asking. Let me know if I can ever answer any other questions.

nascar mini: Thanks for asking and a great path of upgrade you have proposed. For selfish reasons I would prefer to see ALTA for your exhaust choice;-) In regards to the diverter, the only real difference is color. Just choose which one best compliments your vehicle. This makes a noticable difference, epecially during the humid summer season in your area. If I can help again, feel free to let me know!

Thanks again everyone!

Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Dear Alta,
Will your air diverter fit the GP intercooler. A lot of people want to convert but the GP plastic cover is more than your diverter.

Thanks again

Old 01-24-2007, 01:06 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Need part for my OCC and design idea/concern

I need the metal sleeve that goes inside the oil catch can to keep it from sucking in like a lung when the motor is running. I talked to Jeff over the phone about 2-3 weeks ago and he assured me that he would send one out asap.
I have still not recieved it. Let me know what I must do to get this part.

Also, have you ever heard of MINI owners running into trouble with thier OCC because .... The tubes that go straight up out of the top of the can bend too hard pressing against the inner top of the bonnet and getting kinked; cutting of the air feed and return??? This is what I am noticing with mine. I have mounted the can in 2 different locations and it is still a concern. The only way that I can tell when I pop my hood is if the can is succking like a lung they are not kinked. If the motor is still running and I peak in to the back of the engine bay and the can is not sucked in, I can assume one of the hoses is kinked.... which is almost always is. I think this could of attributed to my recent valve cover explosion (you may have seen the post). There has to be a fix for this.... I am thinking that if you switch out the input/output plastic fittings on the top of the can with similar ones but are 90 degree bent it would remedy this problem. It would keep the hoses lower in the engine bay and out of the way of the things we dont see when the bonnet is closed. such as... the headlight assemblies, and inner bonnet liner with its form fitting areas that push into the compartment. I have tested the current fittings, hose lengths and can placment alot with trying to determine what caused my valve cover grenade incident.. and I think this could of been a major part of it...

Anyhoo, just info that you might be able to do something with...

If you have any 90 degree fittings I could really use those to, but I will probably just try to find them at my local auto parts store.

I really do need that sleeve for the inside of the can though.
email me for shipping info.
Thanks for your support and keep making killer parts!

Jasun Carter (805) 452-4589
jcarter457@worldsavings.com

Old 01-24-2007, 06:25 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
70spop: Good thought, but yes you might be over thinking it a bit;-) The added volume within the core allows better cooling over a larger surface area. The S/C is more than capable of filling this just as quickly as the std. size core. There is no lag in boost response etc as a result of the larger core.
Thanks for the info, Adam. I may be looking at one of those in the future.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:55 AM
minicr8zy
1st Gear
Alta CAI and M7 Strut Brace

Searched, but did not find what I needed. Will the Alta CAI and M7 Struct Brace have any interference problems? Was wanting to get one of the Alta Intake V2.0 Packs for a CAI on an MCS 6-speed.

Thanks for any info

Old 01-24-2007, 10:31 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
tavis1: Thank you for your long term business! The filter is available for $79.99. The V 2.0 pulley is lighter weight, has better belt grip and cooling. But, if you already have the Classic ALTA 15% installed, the differences aren't large enough to warrant replacing the pulley. However, I would suggest that you look at our lightened crank pulleys for a 2-3% increase in size. This will improve HP, TRQ, throttle response etc. Spend the money on that upgrade instead. Also, the CAI shroud will fit any ALTA airboxes produced since 2002. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can help further!
Thanks for the info! Is there a part number for that?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:09 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Hi, I have a Mini Mania 15% S/C reduction Pulley on my 04 cooper S what advantages would I gain from you 15% S/C Reduction Pulley in your Version 2?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Frodo: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Yes our Diverter PT#amp-eng-300 will fit the GP Intercooler. Again, sorry for the delay!

motonikki812: Thanks for the information and the request. To order the sleeve simply call our sales dept. at 503-643-4677. They are happy to help you out. It is an optional part for clients seeking to use the can in a high vaccum situation.

In regard to the lines being kinked, we have not had that experience in the locations where we suggest the can be mounted. However, depending on where and how high the can is to the hood it could certainly happen. We don't stock or use 90 deg. fittings but you may be able to source them from your local auto parts store. NAPA carries a similar brand to what we use from Gates. They are a fiberglass reinforced plastic with a 400+ deg temp rating. Expect to pay about $2-$3 for each fitting. Regardless for the valve cover to have filled with boost pressure would indicate one of the leads may be going to a different source than we intended. I highly suggest that you speak to Jeff or myself via phone vs. e-mail as it is easier to discuss details. Again, thanks for choosing ALTA Performance Products!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
70spop: Glad I could help. Thanks again!

minicr8zy: Yes those two will fit, although the driver side of the M7 brace will need to have the hard edge underneath radiused slightly to increase clearance at the far edge of our intake box w/top. Hope that helps! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

tavis1: X-AMP-INT-207 Thanks!

scolburn79: Thank you for asking! The largest differences will be in belt cooling, belt grip, belt life and reduced weight. If we assume that the size is the same at the stated reduction of 15% from both companies, there should not be any real difference in performance. If you are looking to increase HP and TRQ, I might suggest a 2-3% ALTA Crank Pulley shown here:

http://www.altaminiperformance.com/p...d-Crank-Pulley

That will add a couple lbs of boost and thus increase performance! Let me know if we can help in anyway further! Thanks again!

Old 01-27-2007, 12:38 AM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Thanks Alta,

I have a heap of your stuff on my car now. That is about the only thing I don't have. I have your CAI with lid and silicon tube, Oil Catch Can, Classic Intercooler and Diverter, Your Alta-Nator and your 3% Crank Pulley. Just had them put on in the last week. I live in Australia and if you had any Version 2 15% S/C pulleys that you don't need I would be happy to put one on my car if you think I would gain from this part and show it off over here to get more sales from OZ I think your stuff is great!! I think I might have to swap my carbon Fibre strut mount for your strut mount bar as it raises abit to get over your Air Box with the lid on it though.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 AM
robino
4th Gear
2 Questions:

1) On your adjustable short shifter, what is the thread dia.?
8mm, 10mm or 12mm? And what is the thread pitch? Looking to see what other ***** will fit your shifter.

2) I bought your Alta 2.5" exhaust and a mere day one of the exhaust tips is showing little bubbles of the chrome chipping off already.
Do you warrantee these chrome tips from chipping? Nothing else seems to be chromed except for the tips.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!