Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 AM
MCSJCW
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello
- The ALTA Short Shifter can be used in a Mini Cooper S Works (2005)? No issues with Centre exhaust?
- Is possible to keep the OEM Shifter height or the height is lower with ALTA Short Shifter?

ALTAPerformance I send you a PM

Best Regards

Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 AM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ALTA:

I purchased one of your intercooler air diverters with sprayer about a year ago from Outmotoring; I can dig up the receipt if you need it.

Anyway, I expected the package to come with some new intercooler boots but mine didn't; recently I just talked to another NAM user who just purchased the Alta I/C air diverter and received the boots. Anyway is it possible for you all to send me a couple blue boots?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
MCSJCW: Thank you for asking! Yes that does work no problem. There is no issue with the exhaust systems. Even at the lowest setting it is far above the exhaust plumbing. You can adjust the height of the **** to any level up to stock. There is infiniate adjustment within the range. Thanks again! Let us know if we can help further!

cooper99: Thanks for asking. For something that old, simply call the dealer (in this case Outmotoring.com) They should be happy to help. If we can help further PLEASE let us know.

Thank you!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:04 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
R56 UPDATE: We have taken delivery of our Mellow Yellow 2007 Cooper S! Expect photos with new items to begin appearing on the website later today and more updates throughout the week. I will also have my initial impressions of the vehicle vs. the R53 published shortly as well, either here or on our website. If anyone has any specific questions please let me know. Also, expect both our R53 and R56 to be on display at AMVIV next month.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:06 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
R56 UPDATE: We have taken delivery of our Mellow Yellow 2007 Cooper S! Expect photos with new items to begin appearing on the website later today and more updates throughout the week. I will also have my initial impressions of the vehicle vs. the R53 published shortly as well, either here or on our website. If anyone has any specific questions please let me know. Also, expect both our R53 and R56 to be on display at AMVIV next month.

Thanks again everyone!
Congrats on the new car!!!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Jaridp: THANK YOU! Be back in touch very soon. Have fun tomorrow. Look forward to talking to you agian later this week.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:29 PM
jclayto
1st Gear
I have purchased the alta CAI version 2 and the alta 15% pully version 2. I also purchased the screamin deamon 40k coil and livewires plug wires with denso plugs ( the 1 step colder than stock ones). other than stereo / video / interior exerior mods these are the first mods I have purchased for the engine. I havent installed any of them yet. I would like to know if there is anything else that I shoud do to make these mods work well. I basically need to know if I have left something out that will make the car run bad as it related to these mods.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:32 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
jclayto: Thanks for your purchases! You don't need to purchase anything else to work with those mods. However, the next mods we would suggest would be our exhaust system in the 2.5" size as well as a catch can and intercooler. But there is no hurry to do those immediately, but they will certainly build upon the mods you have already made. Keep in mind that the motor is an air pump and the more efficiently you can get the air in and out (as well as being in larger volumes) the more efficient the air-pump is (More Hp and torque.) Hope that helps! If we can help further PLEASE let us know.

Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance Products!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:06 PM
jclayto
1st Gear
alta 2.5 exhaust

Does the exhaust increase the noise significantly? I dont want to sound like one of these little hondas buzzing around. Is it a bolt on replacement to the factory exhaust?

also do they ever go on sell? I have looked at some exhaust systems and I really like the split duals like the palo uber one that comes with a replacement valance. Does Alta have a split version?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jclayto
Does the exhaust increase the noise significantly? I dont want to sound like one of these little hondas buzzing around. Is it a bolt on replacement to the factory exhaust?

also do they ever go on sell? I have looked at some exhaust systems and I really like the split duals like the palo uber one that comes with a replacement valance. Does Alta have a split version?

Thanks in advance for your response.
I have the exhaust, It is not that kazoo sounding exhaust you hear on the Hondas. It sounds like the exhaust on The Italian Job. It will blow fiberglass junk all over the back for about 2000 miles and it looks like an oil film. I freaked out and went straight to the dealer and had them put it on the lift to see if I blew and transmission seal or something. It does clear up and sounds great! I agree the dual pipes look cool but, you actually save wieght with the Alta because it is a single pipe. It is a direct bolt in and I did it myself single handedly on my garage floor. It was easy to install because it comes in two sections. The stock exhaust is a one piece and is HEAVY compared to the Alta. All most busted a gut removing it by myself. Another install tip, leave plenty of room between the plastic valence pannel and the tips. The tips are not insolated like the stock ones and I kind of melted my valence pannel.

Sorry Alta if I kind of just jumped right in.

Old 02-20-2007, 10:24 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
Mr. Alta,

I heard a rumor that you guys are in the works of doing a computer reprogram for MINI's with your mods, is that true?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 AM
MCSJCW
2nd Gear
Hello
Thanks for reply my post and my PM ALTAPerformance.

I go for Top mount Intercooler Version 2.0; Intercooler Silicone Couplers; Inlet Hose for 6-spd Manual After that I go to put the ALTA Short Shift.

Best Regards

Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Frodo: Thanks for asking! We have the 5/16" in kits of 7' lengths. There is discussion about offering other sizes either in bulk or a pre-measured kit in the Spring. Stay tuned!

Thanks again folks!
Ciao, me again,
1. Any update on the bulk kit?
2. Will you be making the "other" intake hose from the front of the car to the lower air box (Samco is in the process now)?
3. What size is the collector on your 2.5" exhaust? I just bought a used Alta exhaust and I need gaskets and a new collector to match the front (from the aftermarket header).

Thanks again,
Frodo

Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
jclayto: Thanks for asking. It is a very mellow tone with no Honda-like blattiness. They were on sale last month, and some dealers that purchased stock for that sale may still have some at that price.

tavis1: DONT apologize! We appreciate the honest feedback as I am sure jclayto does as well! Thanks for your purchase and let me know if I can help further. We are working on some electronic options for both the R53 and R56 as we speak. Stay tuned!

MCSJCW: Glad to hear we could help! THANK YOU for your business. Let me know if I can ever help further!

Frodo: 1) No update, just stay tuned to our website.
2) MANY new items for the R53 and R56 are in the works now.
3) The stock gasket can be used at the forward section of the cat-back.

If we can help anyone in anyway please let us know.

Thanks again NAM!

Also note: On Thursday we will be participating in the MotoringFun live chat room. Myself and other members of our staff will be available to answer questions LIVE from 9-11pm EST. www.motoringfun.com

Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
More info on our R56 can be found here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...18#post1384418

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...24#post1384424

More to come later today! Thanks everyone!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
jclayto
1st Gear
Thanks

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:22 AM
MCSJCW
2nd Gear
Hello
ALTAPerformance, say one thing to me if you can. The Intercooler Air Diverter Version 2.0 exists for GP Intercooler? If yes, the price is the same?

Thanks

Best Regards

Old 02-22-2007, 07:32 AM
OutMotoring
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper99
ALTA:

I purchased one of your intercooler air diverters with sprayer about a year ago from Outmotoring; I can dig up the receipt if you need it.

Anyway, I expected the package to come with some new intercooler boots but mine didn't; recently I just talked to another NAM user who just purchased the Alta I/C air diverter and received the boots. Anyway is it possible for you all to send me a couple blue boots?

....drop me a line at 855-8857 and we can get those boots to you. The boxes come in sealed so we assume they are complete but in this case it looks like some stuff was missing.

best,

OutMotoring.com: Home of the finest MINI and Aston Martin Parts + Accessories.
Shop online at www.OutMotoring.com
Free Shipping on most orders over $195 Click HERE

Old 02-22-2007, 08:06 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
jclayto: No problem!

MCSJCW: Not available yet. Will be shortly. Sorry for the delay.

Aaron: Let us know if we can help further!

Thanks NAM!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 AM
MCSJCW
2nd Gear
Hello
Thanks ALTAPerformance, I wait for the launch

Best Regards

Old 02-22-2007, 10:00 AM
VBG
3rd Gear
Hey Adam, I've been trying to stay away so I wouldn't bother you about it, but my date with the California smog man is coming up soon.

What new news, if anything, can you tell us about CARB for the MCS CAI?

Am I going to have to remove it to get smogged this year?

Sorry to bother you, just need to know if there is still hope.

Best,

-- Don

Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
VBG: Don't loose hope. But I mentioned to Larry Clemens this morning as well that the ball is with ARB in Ca. The paperwork is done and approved. They simply are dragging heals on the EO#. Feel free to call them, e-mail them etc. We have been jumping through every hoop presented by ARB. PLEASE do not feel like you are bothering us. We want it done more so than you! Lets just start bothering them as well. :-)

Thank you NAM!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 AM
VBG
3rd Gear
Hi Adam, thanks, this is actually encouraging...

Is there a CARB email reference that you would suggest for talking with them?, I'd be glad to shoot off a note or two. Shoot, I'd be glad to have them test my car if it would help them get this going.

I doubt if any installer of your CAI has any doubt that it would pass the smog test, it's just getting a California smog tester to do it without having the CARB sticker that is going to be tough.

At least in my mind, CARB's slowness in responding to your company in no way implies any problems with the Alta CAI... I'd guess a lot of us in California would be more than willing to write to CARB to politely request that they get this done.

Thanks again. Btw, Congrats on getting the '07, I bet you guys are having fun!

Best,

-- Don

Old 02-22-2007, 11:25 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
VBG: Will do! I will get with Jeff this afternoon and get you the contact info.

Thanks again. And hey if they tell you we goofed on some i dotting or t crossing let us know too. (Even though they claim we are a-ok.) Working with the government is always tricky!

Chat soon!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Diosdado
2nd Gear
Hello,
I have a 2005 MCS cabrio automatic with a 17% pulley and cai. Which intercooler should I get, I'm not particularly handy so grinding parts is probably out of the question.
-Diosdado

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!