Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbs49: Yes! We had jaridp GP in here last week and made the proto on it. Should go into production in the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks again!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:08 PM
jaridp
4th Gear
I am soooooo blessed/cursed to have alta soo close!!! Hahahhahaha. must....go....FASTER!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 05:44 PM
shooler
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jaridp
I am soooooo blessed/cursed to have alta soo close!!! Hahahhahaha. must....go....FASTER!!!
I so know what you mean!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 06:12 PM
newbs49
Banned
Thanks Adam.
jaripd must be nice to be the test mule. You must get some benifit from it.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:26 PM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
CARB?????

Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
The Riorden
1st Gear
Whats up Alta?

I spoke with one of your online reps through AIM a couple days ago. I told him i want to buy the 15% pulley and possibly an Intake. But i have a problem, i cant find anyone around that will do the work for me. I need a reputable shop or someone who knows what they are doing to help me put these parts in my car. I dont know if my MINI dealership will do it. Ive tried to call them but they never answer the phone or return my calls for that matter. I dont know what to do. Im dying to mod my car but i cant find someone to help me install parts (that i can trust). I live in Rochester, NY 14613. Someone point me to the right direction. I dont feel like driving 5 hours to get the job done either.

Nick

Old 03-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do the intake yourself...

it's a hand tool job. For local help around Rochester (I actually lived there for a year in the Park Ave corridore. I worked in Fishers at a company called Burleigh), post in the regional area to find where others get thier work done. I'm sure this is just a case of getting plugged into the system.

Also, there are lots of good how tos for pulley installs. If you have a good shop that you've used for other cars, take them a how to and see if they're comfortable with it. You'll need to rent a pulley puller, but that's no big deal. Who knows, you may help start the first Mini tuning shop in your area!

Matt

Old 03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
The Riorden
1st Gear
thanks, im going to do my best to find a shop worthy of touching my car. I just get scared because of all the possibilities of messing up my car. Its almost too new to be messing with but im really eager to get started on performance upgrades. Especially when you can spend 180 bucks on a pulley and another 200 intake and get gains like this.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Larry Clemens: Got some extremely unfortunate news from CARB this week regarding 2006 and newer cars. There will not be an exemption available on these models. 2002-2005 is still pending. Sorry for the continued delay.

The Riorden: I believe I was the person fielding your AIM requests the other day. Sorry you felt I wasn't being helpful. I simply don't have a trusted shop in your area. I do still suggest that you speak to either Coast to Coast or JSC Speed. They resell into your state and may have a suggestion for a shop in your area. Sorry I was unable to help further! Let me know if I can be of some continued assistance.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by camelpilot
I have a question.

Why does your CAI Foam only come in Red? Got any tips on changing it's colour?
camel, your signature belies who is weak-minded. BMW was 300% more successful than they planned, so they ruined the car because it wasn't making enough profit???

Old 03-16-2007, 12:58 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
LynnEl: Did you have a question for ALTA? Or did I miss something? Let me know! Thanks again!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
newbs49: Yes! We had jaridp GP in here last week and made the proto on it. Should go into production in the next few weeks. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks again!
Sweet On the line between buying the GP intercooler and your diverter or your V2 intercooler...hmmm

Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 PM
The Riorden
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Larry Clemens: Got some extremely unfortunate news from CARB this week regarding 2006 and newer cars. There will not be an exemption available on these models. 2002-2005 is still pending. Sorry for the continued delay.

The Riorden: I believe I was the person fielding your AIM requests the other day. Sorry you felt I wasn't being helpful. I simply don't have a trusted shop in your area. I do still suggest that you speak to either Coast to Coast or JSC Speed. They resell into your state and may have a suggestion for a shop in your area. Sorry I was unable to help further! Let me know if I can be of some continued assistance.

No, you were very helpful! Lol, i was just seeing if anyone else in here knew of local shops and what not. I made a post in the regional area asking the same thing. Just looking for as much advice as i can get.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:01 PM
robino
4th Gear
hey ALTA,

can I possibly get some of that 90 degree rubber trim that seals your Alta direct flow IC to the hood (the one that goes on the top part of the intercooler)
I've been using the regular / not 90 degree type and now have a little dimple in my hood from the corner of that welded lip on top of the IC. I bought a slightly used IC from you at a nice discount, but didn't get the rubber trim with it.

Thanks.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:41 PM
trackster
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=ALTAPerformance;1425701]Larry Clemens: Got some extremely unfortunate news from CARB this week regarding 2006 and newer cars. There will not be an exemption available on these models. 2002-2005 is still pending. Sorry for the continued delay. "

As the 02 thru 05 are quite similar to the 06 what will keep the negative result from being the same ?

Old 03-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Howdy Alta,
About the GP intercooler diverter;
1. Is there any chance of the diverter extending forward to close the gap and possible help seal it?
2. Will it use the GP hood air duct or do you remove it. If you remove the air duct it would save us some $$ for those of us doing a retrofit. We would only have to buy the intercooler, supports and your diverter. Speaking of $$ do you have a estimated price yet? Same as your other diverters I hope? Thanks again,

Frodo

Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Hey Adam,

Finally got the V2.0 intercooler and installed it this weekend, BTW I like it.

Couple questions for you:
1. Who wrote your instructions?
2. Who proof read your instructions?
3. 6 pictures to hook up the water spray and none for the rest even though you reference them in the instructions, see #7.
4. Cable ties weren't supplied (see parts included list).

Ok all kidding aside, nice product and if you've taken the intercooler off before the only challenge is getting up the nerve to cut the OEM posts and trim the hood scoop.

But I do have a real question:
1. Is trimming the hood scoop as you guys say, required? Is it for proper airflow, etc?

I trimmed mine enough to clear the diverter on the driver's side (cut a 1" wide path) and every thing else fits/clears fine.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Howdy Alta, me again I posted links and some infor on the GP diverter on Mini2 and Alex from Mini2 wanted me to post a question (he just registered here). BTW he is also interested in the GP V3 diverter too.

How many channeling blades will the GP diverter have? I think the stock cover has 3. Is there any advantage to having several channels?

Thanks again...

Frodo

Old 03-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Alex5
1st Gear
Hi Frodo, Alta, they released me at last

Here is an awful cross-sectional diagram of what I was thinking about:

The theory being that the more blades to channel/turn the air into the intercooler, the more evenly the air is distributed improving efficiency. As it stands the air has to turn almost 90 degrees with little assistance (stock IC cover), so I would imagine a lot of the air travels through the back edge of the intercooler, not much at the front.
Adding several blades across rather than just one in the middle I would hope would not cause too much extra turbulence/loss of air velocity, and due to the angle the intercooler sits at they should be nicely stepped like in my scribble. Provided the blades are not too long/deep they shouldn't perceptibly increase heat soak either.

It probably won't make a profound difference, but every little helps etc etc.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is value in the IDEA...

but implementation is far from easy. First, you don't want to create turbulence, that just makes everything worse. So you have to bend curves, watch sharp edges and the like. Next, you need to make sure that the louvres properly partition the air flow. This too is harder than it sounds.

If you have to use more than one or two internal baffles to get the job done, it's probably not worth the effort. But it you search a bunch of the different IC threads, you'll see some serious creativity in diverter design and modifications.

The biggest areas to watch is where diverters don't really seal well against the IC or the hood. This is where most of the air leakage will go. You;ll get more improvement sealing the leaks than doing the baffles. Both would be best, but that takes time and effort.

Matt

Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alx5:
Here's one of my "see through bonnet" photos of a stock IC with Alta diverter, modified to increase the seal with the bonnet. You'll see it can be done. The skirt at the front is extended about 2" to reach the gasket above the radiator.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Alex5
1st Gear
Firstly - Phil - great photo

Secondly, incase it wasn't inferred clearly I have the GP intercooler setup (complete with GP diverter or cover plate) on my MCS - I don't feel the diverter is as good as it could be, and like the Alta diverter with it's sprayer idea. When I saw they were doing one for the GP intercooler I thought I'd offer up my idea (in the unlikely event it hadn't been considered by Alta already) whilst it was still in the design stages. I was not aware that there was in issue with the Alta diverter and sealing to the hood. That is one thing I think the stock efforts do well, as I assume the foam strip does at least have the tolerance to maintain contact throughout the engine movement. It doesn't have great airflow/directing properties though.

Now, having not seen one fitted - does the Alta diverter lose the large black plastic secton attached to the bonnet and scoop? Phil - from the photo above it appears you have replaced this somehow?

As far as my suggestions toward the design go, the drawing is very rough!
Yes, some degree of a curve would help aerodynamically, but not too much as the ideal would be for the leading edge of the blade to be parallel with the airflow, rather than a 90 degree curve, taking in to account the angle of the intercooler on the engine.
I am sure the intercooler cover is no more than 1mm thick plate. Something thinner would be better for cutting in to the air, and possibly heat loss, but at the sacrifice of rigidity. I can't see 4-5 of these blades across the cover causing more turbulence pre-intercooler than the stock cover which is thick plastic. Stock probably projects more surface area into the airflow than 4 or 5 1mm thick blades, infact probably double.
I do agree that a good hood seal is equally or more important and would hope Alta can do this aspect well.
I would also like to see the useless part of the diverter lost - the bit over the RHS bellow, as I think this may marginally improve heatsoak too (and it interferes with my CAI).

The more I think about it it seems like a good idea so I think I may just do a better freehand drawing.

Alex

Old 03-19-2007, 04:11 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Frodo: Choice is yours! Let us know what you decide. Happy to help either way!

The Riorden: Keep us posted if we can help in anyway further! Thanks again!

robino: Give us a call to order replacement parts and pieces.

trackster: There are significant differences between the emmissions on the 02-05 models vs the 06+. Another reason for the engine change in the 07 models. So the CARB restrictions are different on each year. Again, hope to hear a final answer very soon.

Frodo: I honestly don't know the answers to that. Until I see the prototype in my hand. Price wise should be similar but expect an adjustment for the limited production to increase prices slightly.

Smokey: We constantly make changes to the instructions. If you would send me any problems, I am happy to review and change them. I hope the other set I sent you was better than the online version. Glad you like the final result though! Only trim what is needed to clear.

Frodo/Alex 5: Again, I honestly don't know. You don't want to have too many that then block the incoming air. An efficient distribution is still necessary for proper IC function and efficiency. Expect photos etc. to come soon after AMVIV. Our guys will be there in force. Also, we will finish the bulk of the R56 items before finishing this diverter (again due to demand nothing against the R53 GP or otherwise.)

Thanks again everyone! See you at AMVIV!

Old 03-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
Adam, thank you for your response/s I am in no hurry

Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
FRodo: No problem! We are anxious for you!

Talk soon!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!