Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM
jibeho
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Version 2.0 pulley question.

I have the 17% pulley. I know it is not a big deal to swap the hubs out if I wanted to go to 19% or 15%. What is your pricing for just the hub? Also do you intend to make a 0% (stock) hub for the V2?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
33NIM: I didn't take it that way at all. My apologies for being ignorant. (My wife tells me of similar issues I have!-) I will find out more info and try to get back to you. Thanks again!

jibeho: I thought the same thing, but I had a hard time figuring out what would have been disconected. Hope to hear from him again soon!

Thanks again!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM
eager2own
6th Gear
Also do you intend to make a 0% (stock) hub for the V2?
+1 on the idea that a V2 would be a great option for someone (like me) who may want to easily return car to stock

Old 05-31-2007, 09:30 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
jibeho: Sorry I didn't see the second post. We don't currently offer the outers separately, but I know for 100% that will be available by third quarter. I don't know what the price will be, but it will be reasonable. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 AM
The Riorden
1st Gear
Hey alta. I just bought an Alta High flow foam filter from you guys online. Do these come to my doorstep oiled? or do i have to order some special oil (and cleaner products) before i install this piece?

Also, how long is standard ground shipping? 1-6 days?

Thanks!
Nick

Old 05-31-2007, 10:10 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
The Riorden: Yes comes pre-oiled and ready to go. Just blot off the excess oil from packaging with a shop rag or paper towel, then install! When you need to clean and re-oil (every 5-7 k) then order a cleaning kit from us. (Cheap! only $13) Ground shipping is 1-6 days depending on where in the country you are. Feel free to call or e-mail for tracking if you feel the shipment was delayed. Thanks for the biz-nez!

Old 05-31-2007, 08:26 PM
ED955S
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mr. Alta,

Should you decide to make the outer hub for the s/c pulley, will it also fit to the first version ? Can it be installed without lifting the engine? If I recall, my dealer lifted mine when they installed my 15% Alta. Thanks.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
ED955S: Thanks for asking. We do offer stock, 5%+, 10%+, 15%-, 17%-, and 19%- in the Classic version. But since they are interference fit the inner and outer halves are QC'd as a unit. We sell them in pairs for that reason alone. But if you need a 0% let me know. (I need to check stock levels, but we should be good to go!) Thanks again!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
AssKicker
Neutral
Does anyone have a MPEG of a 3.0" Alta Exhaust?

Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 AM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running a Alata 17% pulley ,Craven Intake, Invidia exhaust and this weekend a Alta top mount IC

With my set up should I be running a cooler spark plug?
If so how much cooler? I'm looking at the NGK Iridium or Denso Iridium plugs and I think they come in IK21's or IK22's for the cold rating? Any preferrence between the NGK's or the Denso's?

Last edited by Intense; 06-05-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
A colder plug is an excellent idea. A temp range 7 would be ideal for those mods. Any of those brands mentioned are reputable and would be a good choice. Might be best to choose based on price or availability in your area.

If we can help in anyway let us know!

Thanks for asking and for your purchase!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:18 AM
LondonCalling
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by B&D
Dear ALTA Gurus.....

Pardon me if this has been brought up before, I have tried to read through dozens of pages of questions to y'all, and might have missed this issue...

I have just modded my 2007 MCS Convertible (non R56) with a 15% pulley, and an ALTA V 2.0 CAI - with the Box Top option.

The sound (Whoopeeeee!) is fantastic, and the HP gains can be FELT AND HEARD (please tech-no-geeks - don't get technical on me here, I am being coy).

There are two issues though I thought you could address:

1. MY GAS MILEAGE NOW SUCKS! (I am getting HALF of what I used to! - and yes, I am a lead-foot, but always have been)

2. There seems to be a 'slight' pause when the accelerator is pressed, almost like a hesitation, and it is disconcerting.

I used to be able to press the pedal down a fraction of an inch, and get the tach needle moving, now I have to depress it at least an inch or two, before the 'gas' cuts in.

As I depress it, there is first a 'sucking' compressor type of sound, THEN it kicks in, almost as if there is 'slack' in the pedal-to-throttle connection??

I have driven a few hundred miles so far with these mods in place, and no changes have been noticable yet.

Also, I had driven a few hundred miles with JUST the 15% pulley, and did not have any problem - it only started AFTER I put the CAI in place, I just mentioned the 15% pulley, so you'd know all the mechanicals that I am dealing with here.

Any thoughts/advice?

-B
Did you ever solve this? I, too was wondering if there were any vacuum leaks. But what really occurred to me one day was: did you really get the ECU stuff all accurately plugged in? I know even with my small gynecologist's fingers I found it to be tricky to set the multipin on the receptacle nice and straight and the slide the locking device back into place.

The only reason I ask is that my daughter's old Subaru had Mass Air Flow sensor issues (at 251k miles!) which caused an EXTREME loss in fuel mileage (ex: from 27-28 mpg to 11-12 mpg). I'm assuming the MINI has an MAF and it would be wired somewhere in that ECU mess of micropin hell. It's just a thought....

I haven't had any major measurable loss in fuel economy since my install of the v 2.0 CAI. Of course, I do tend to rev it up more to hear the huge whine, whirr and sucking sound. It also seems like I can hear the chirp of the throttle body opening... such a sweet symphony!

Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
LondonCalling: We never heard back either. The R53 does not have a MAF sensor like the R56 and Subarus do. Very curious what the problem was!

Thanks folks!

Chat soon!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 AM
minipooper02
3rd Gear
Alta High flow foam filter-
can you explain what this is and what it does.
Pros and Cons

Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Fool68
2nd Gear
Dear Alta,

I've recently installed a 15% 2.0 Pulley in my '06 MCS. Nice power upgrade all around, as advertized. One question though. I'm noticing a high pitch whistle starting at just about 3000 RPM and increasing in volume as I rev up from there. I'd best describe it as a metalic sounding teakettle sound. I still have the stock intake installed. Is this a normal sound with the smaller pulley?

Fool68

Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
minipooper02: Thank you for asking. It essentially does two things, one filter air, secondly produce more power. The simple explanation is the cotton or paper filters (of course depending on density) either are too restrictive and prevent HP gains, or use filter media that allows too large of particles into the motor and can cause damage to the engine, turbo or supercharger. Our foam based panel filter balances proper filtration and performance. Unlike pleated filters that use one utlimate layer of filtration our multi cell foam allows dirt to exist on different levels, thus lowering restriction, making more power. For more detailed information visit www.altaminiperformance.com We have some charts and graphs about the filters. Otherwise, let me know how I can help further! Thank you!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Fool68: That may or may not be normal. It is hard to judge from words of course. But there is a high pitched (could be described as whistle) created by the blower and now you can hear it better. But the fact that you have a stock intake leads me more to believe you may have a slight problem. I would personally raise the hood (keep ties and clothing away from moving things of course ;-) with the car running and listen for a lighter version of the noise at idle. If it isn't there then it is unlikely related to a pulley issue or tensioner. If it is but muted, then definately seek assistance. The pulley itself doesn't make any noise when installed properly. (It is VERY hard to install it incorrectly, but in rare cases can be done. We recently had a client fail to tighten or even install the retaining bolts to the center hub. The hub then spun on the shaft. He then tightened the bolts and everything was a-ok. Don't stress yet!)

Let us know what you find. Happy to help as always!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM
HHFD633
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17% pulley

Alta when purchasing your 17% pulley, what else is recommended to be done at the same time. ie: plugs,wires,cap, goodyearbelt? So many things have been said onthis issue, what is alta's possition on this

Old 06-07-2007, 02:07 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
^
I'm gonna guess that their position is:
Well -- while you're already working on your car, you may as well add the Alta CAI, IC, exhaust, etc

Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Fool68
2nd Gear
Follow up to my question from yesterday. I had a couple people listen and the first thing they said about my noise was "belt". I see a lot of people switching to a smaller belt to go with the smaller pulley. What's the appropriate size for the 15%?

Fool68

Old 06-07-2007, 04:08 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
HHFD63: The only other required mod is the belt. You can use any brand you prefer, we use the NAPA belts mfrd. by Gates. We have had excellent results with them. A gatorback is also a good choice, but not needed with our V 2.0 as we have built those grippers into the pulley itself. I do recommend but don't require a changeout of the spark plugs to one range cooler. This helps prevent detonation and improves spark performance at the higher boost levels. Hope that helps! Let me know how I can ever help further. Enjoy the new power when you get it! It is addictive.

Eager2own: Any thoughts to relocate to Oregon? Or maybe do outside sales from NC? Thanks for the plug!

Thanks guys!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Fool68: Could be belt slippage. Depending on year and mileage the tensioner is a likely culprit. As they age, they loose the ability to proeprly tension the belt, and or simply break and wipe out the crank pulley as well. Very irritating. The appropriate size is stock or the factory JCW replacement when using a 15%. If that was replaced during the installation and you still have slippage, the tensioner is VERY likely going to fail and may also be the actual noise itself. Act quick to figure it out.

Let me know how I can help in anyway further. I understand your frustration. Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Intense
252whp 200trq RMW style
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed the 17% Alta pulley, they suggested that I go with a smaller belt so I had them send it. I also called them and asked about colder plugs since I'm producing more heat. More heat means less power and greater risk of detonation.
The Alta tech I spoke with was beyond informative and answered all my questions and quelled my concerns.

I've done a bit of research regarding colder plugs and it seems there are tons of opinions on the matter. The Alta tech really knew what he was talking about and I wanted to express my appreciation for that here.

Great job you guys!

Old 06-07-2007, 05:39 PM
shinka
2nd Gear
I just installed an ALTA Intercooler Air Diverter and wanted to say that it's quite a nice product.
I didn't really expect any power increases with it, but it feels like it's a bit peppier. Thanks guys.
And a question. Since that black plastic part under the bonnet is gone now, when looking into the bonnet scoop with a closed hood, there's now a gap in there from where the bonnet scoop ends and the intercooler begins. I'm guessing that doesn't pose any potential problems from getting any extra water or dirt into the engine bay? Thanks.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:23 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
shinka: no concern there other than aesthetics. You can request some additional rubber moulding to run around that area. Will trim it up nicely. But no worries on damage, dirt etc. Thanks again for choosing ALTA!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!