Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:15 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Is that info. on your website?
Nope! Sorry! Not teasing, just can't say what, until it is done. I don't want to be like other "vendors and mfr's" here on NAM!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
hmm im so so tempted because i just like alta's IC better then M7s, what about something like a grill, thats the only reason i consider M7s HFIC over yours, and id buy the aerogel heatshield either way

Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
hmm im so so tempted because i just like alta's IC better then M7s, what about something like a grill, thats the only reason i consider M7s HFIC over yours, and id buy the aerogel heatshield either way
Trust your gut! You would be making a really good decision! Also, before you buy the aerogel, check out the back of the ALTA TMIC first. It has a heat reflective coating already installed here at the factory, as well as the sprayed n coating all over it. Check it out! Thanks in advance for the business! Adam

Old 10-25-2007, 06:44 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
i was looking but i cant seem to find any pics of the back, got any that can show me what youre talking about?

Old 10-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Charles325i
1st Gear
another alta IC question, are u supposed to use the stock couplers or can i use the silicone ones from u

Old 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
I saw you came out with a "piggy back" for the R56. Are you going to come out with one for the R53? Thanks

Old 10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
New Alta Gauges

Hey, As I live in Australia we go by Degrees Celsius. Can you get the Oil Temp gauge in Degrees Celsius as well or does it just come in degrees farenheit? I really like the look of the gauges so I hope that it can.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:18 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Charles325i
another alta IC question, are u supposed to use the stock couplers or can i use the silicone ones from u
You can use the ALTA ones, but they are very difficult to install due to the increased width of the ALTA TMIC core. Thanks for asking! adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 10-29-2007, 07:18 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by tavis1
I saw you came out with a "piggy back" for the R56. Are you going to come out with one for the R53? Thanks
Should be out later this week, or next! Sorry for the delay, but trust we did NOT leave the R53 guys and gals out! Adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by scolburn79
Hey, As I live in Australia we go by Degrees Celsius. Can you get the Oil Temp gauge in Degrees Celsius as well or does it just come in degrees farenheit? I really like the look of the gauges so I hope that it can.

Working on metric options right now! Thanks for asking!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Trust your gut! You would be making a really good decision! Also, before you buy the aerogel, check out the back of the ALTA TMIC first. It has a heat reflective coating already installed here at the factory, as well as the sprayed n coating all over it. Check it out! Thanks in advance for the business! Adam
do you have something to protect my shiny (even though its black) investment from pebbles going through the intercooler?
somethin similar to m7s perhaps?

Last edited by HighSchoolzMINI; 10-29-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Working on metric options right now! Thanks for asking!
Do you know when they will become available, also do these require tapping into the boost line for the boost gauge and the Oil filter for the Oil temp? I read somewhere that they don't require this they are run electrically?

Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
do you have something to protect my shiny (even though its black) investment from pebbles going through the intercooler?
somethin similar to m7s perhaps?
I don't! I am so sorry. If M7 has something that would work, my feelings are COMPLETELY NOT hurt if you buy from him. Peter does make some nice scoops and other accessories that ALTA doesn't make. I would be more happy to have you get your concern resolved. Let us know! adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by scolburn79
Do you know when they will become available, also do these require tapping into the boost line for the boost gauge and the Oil filter for the Oil temp? I read somewhere that they don't require this they are run electrically?
They are electrical. So the boost is read via a vacuum/boost lead, but uses a electronic sensor mounted under the hood. The oil temp/pressure is connected (also with a sensor) via an ALTA supplied adapter. Goes right between the oil pres sensor and the block. Hope that helps! adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 10-30-2007, 03:43 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
I don't! I am so sorry. If M7 has something that would work, my feelings are COMPLETELY NOT hurt if you buy from him. Peter does make some nice scoops and other accessories that ALTA doesn't make. I would be more happy to have you get your concern resolved. Let us know! adam@altaminiperformance.com
wait i think i found a reason to buy it form you, they sell mesh grills for R53 scoops BOOOOO YA

Old 10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Right on! Sounds like that is the ticket! Let me know if I can help with your order in anyway shape or form. I will be back in the office tomorrow AM!

Thanks again!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:27 PM
optimuspryme
1st Gear
Hi. I'm about to buy the 17% v2.0 pulley from you guys. Do I need a crank pulley? Will a 2% combined with the 17% pulley make more horsepower? I'm looking for reliability. Daily driven with the occasional trip to vegas every other month(high speeds and low to mid rpms all the way there :-).

Oh and 1 more question. Your "alta-nator", your website says it make the SC work more to oem specs. Does it affect any of the results of the pulley and crank pulley in a bad way? Thanks!!!! I cant wait to install!!!

Or should I just get the 19??

Last edited by optimuspryme; 11-02-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Thanks for asking. The 15% S/C + 2% crank, or 17% S/C + 0% crank will both make the same HP, TRQ etc. If you haven't purchased either yet I generally push clients to do the 15% + 2% as the belt wrap is better and overall better combination. This is VERY reliable and will certainly allow for brief or sustained high rpm, high speed runs. The ALTA-Nator Pulley will help if you choose the 2% crank to then put the Alternator back to OEM RPM. Thank you in advance for the business! I look forward to processing your order ASAP! adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-02-2007, 08:10 AM
optimuspryme
1st Gear
I really want more power than th 15 though. If I got the 17%, with the 2% crank, and the alta-nator, would that produce more power than your recomended combination and safely? I do not autocross or do trackdays.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:18 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
That combo would be just fine. You are going to have more boost down low and the throttle response will be much better. But the 17% (15% + 2%) will be a bit safer on the S/C. It has grown to be the more popular combination. Also, what other mods do you have to the car or intend to add to the car? If you do the 19% I recommend the ALTA Plug-n-Play ECU and JCW injectors, along with exhaust, intake, intercooler etc. Might be ideal for you and I to speak via phone off forum. If you pm or e-mail me I can call you to discuss the overall plan for the build.

Thanks again!

adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
optimuspryme
1st Gear
I dont know if I am going to go crazy with my mini with mods. But I just bought the Invidia exhaust (sounds the best with the awesome gurgle, no offense yours sounds good too!). I am looking at pulley, crank, intake, and eventually a down pipe. Who needs a cat? hehe

Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Charles325i
1st Gear
how many, if any, of the foam rings for the OCC should i use? And how would i line them up, loop around the inside of the can? And also what is teh part suppled in my OCC kit that is a long bolt with a huge bracer or something, is it the opitinal can stiffner? ty

Old 11-03-2007, 01:36 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
You can put in as many or as few as you like. But a general rule is about 50% of the can volume should be filled. The other hardware you mention is if you mount it on the earlier car at the front of the motor mount.

Thanks again!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Alta,

I recently installed front and rear endlinks. However, I was perplexed by the front ones and have had this nagging question in my mind.

The instructions state under the second section "Special notes for lower cars:" point #2: "lowered Mini's need the front endlinks lengthened in order for proper rod end to sawybar alignment."

However, the front endlinks are shorter in length then the stock ones. In order to make them equal lenght on the Alta ones, the rod ends need to be extended considerably and more so for a lower mini (as the intructions state). My Mini is lowered so I had to extend them to make the swaybar align correctly. But, this left me with an uneasy feeling as I noted that the threaded part doesn't go far enough into the hex rod to maintain proper strength support (my personal feeling and observation).

So my question, knowing that most Minis are lowered or stock heigth, why would ALTA make a shorter front endlink instead of lengthening it. As of now I have not come across a raised Mini that would have the use of a shorter front endlink.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
OK! Thank you for the post. I think there may be some confusion here. Can I get a phone number of forum to talk to you? I want to get this solved first. Then post back here on the issue?

That ok?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!