Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
brownflyer
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely,
Feel free to call me at 707-330-5823 to discuss further.
Thanks,
Everardo Valadez

Old 11-08-2007, 01:53 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Will do!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
bump for djkajo

Old 11-13-2007, 07:08 AM
djkajo
1st Gear
Thanks...

Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 PM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Just a basic question, and I am new to mods.

I like the better mileage of course, but I love the sound of the my Supercharger.
Probably better than the Turbo.
I was going to go for a 15% pully reduction only but am worried about the gas mileage hit. Will that happen? Will Engine or Supercharger longevity be affected as well? How much HP can I expect and will it be "seat of the pants" noticeable.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 15% pulley (no matter the vendor)

is the best single mod to your car! The gas mileage hit is purely dependant on your foot! You will put more turns on the SC, but the JCW SC is the same with a 14.something% pulley, and it's a so-called 100k mile part. HP gains are 15-20, and without a doubt you will be feel it for sure!

Matt
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs

I like the better mileage of course, but I love the sound of the my Supercharger.
I was going to go for a 15% pully reduction only but am worried about the gas mileage hit. Will that happen? Will Engine or Supercharger longevity be affected as well? How much HP can I expect and will it be "seat of the pants" noticeable.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SuperMINIs

Dr Obnoxs already summarized this pretty good BUT I would like to say the brand does matter in terms of long term belt wear, etc. From a performance standpoint, obviously anyone who makes it the correct size will = the same HP gains. I strongly suggest ALTA (but since you posted in our thread I think you have already made up your mind )

On the mpg comment. You will get nearly identical MPG if not a bit better, but based on your right foot and how judiciously you use it not the pulley itself. PLUS Jeff and I have been finalizing the ALTA P-n-P ECU for the R53 and working with changes in the cruise sections as well as the WOT maps.

Look for dyno plots here and other places on NAM in a few days.

If I can help further PLEASE let me know!

Adam@altaminiperformance.com

Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM
SuperMINIs
3rd Gear
Being new to modding, I am not sure what "ALTA P-n-P ECU for the R53 and working with changes in the cruise sections as well as the WOT maps" is all about. The ECUs have to be programmed by some shop? Or do they come pre-programmed requiring just a simple piggyback plug in and just go?
I have an R52 anyways. Not sure how that is affected.

Is the install easy enough for the pulley only kit and are all required parts included in the kit? And will I actually feel a big difference in off the line acceleration?

Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Yes it is pre-programmed and simply plugs in using the instructions provided. The mapping is done by Jeff and Myself here in house. My point was we were making changes to the mapping to both improve HP and economy. Again sorry for the confusion.

Yes the pulley is a self contained installation. If you order directly from ALTA you can rent our pulley puller for free with just a small deposit for the tool. (Refunded when the puller is returned.)

If you have ANY questions or concerns, we highly encourage you to call us or e-mail. We always enjoy helping out a fellow enthusiast.

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Hi

Does the new airfilter (R53) fit the JCW Airbox?

Cheers

Old 11-17-2007, 04:52 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Hi

I'd be interested in this product.

My main question being can it be mapped for use of RON98 fuel... Over here in Australia RON98 fuel is as common as regualar... I'd like to take the advantage of using a higher octane fuel.

I'd say if there were options for the fuel type, you might hit a larger market - like europe, australia etc...

Keep up the development of new parts!

Cheers

Originally Posted by ALTAPerformance
Yes it is pre-programmed and simply plugs in using the instructions provided. The mapping is done by Jeff and Myself here in house. My point was we were making changes to the mapping to both improve HP and economy. Again sorry for the confusion.

Yes the pulley is a self contained installation. If you order directly from ALTA you can rent our pulley puller for free with just a small deposit for the tool. (Refunded when the puller is returned.)

If you have ANY questions or concerns, we highly encourage you to call us or e-mail. We always enjoy helping out a fellow enthusiast.

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by auscoops
Hi

Does the new airfilter (R53) fit the JCW Airbox?

Cheers
Haven't tried it. But I have one out of my GP and I can certainly check. E-mail me for results on Monday!

Thanks for asking!

Old 11-17-2007, 07:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hi

My main question being can it be mapped for use of RON98 fuel... Over here in Australia RON98 fuel is as common as regualar... I'd like to take the advantage of using a higher octane fuel.

I'd say if there were options for the fuel type, you might hit a larger market - like europe, australia etc...

Cheers
CERTAINLY! We will keep doing more and more mapping in the coming months. I need to query Jeff on how the RON scale crosses over to the octane ratings here, but we can certainly do that. Certainly more aggressive timing can be used in that situation.

Thankfully, with the newest software we have for the UniChip even existing clients can now send their ECU's to us and we can update the firmware and put proper mapping on it to gain more HP etc.

Thanks again for asking!

Old 11-17-2007, 08:06 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Hi

Cheers

I have the Unichip PnP for the R53 and I live in australia. The safest way is to just get it custom tuned to the car. I also have it turning my water/meth on to. If the unichip is the way you want to go but just get the maps they supply you might as well just get an MTH Tuner file because it is still only best guess.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by scolburn79
I have the Unichip PnP for the R53 and I live in australia. The safest way is to just get it custom tuned to the car. I also have it turning my water/meth on to. If the unichip is the way you want to go but just get the maps they supply you might as well just get an MTH Tuner file because it is still only best guess.
The point is ALTA can get you tuned and properly for your application. Agreed there are some fine points to each motor, but that is when running at 9/10ths or 10/10ths which is always not recommended anyway. With our mapping a client could run at a very safe level with a ton of improvement. Then in the spring when we release the add on to the ALTA / UniChip Flux unit, you can add a wideband O2 sensor and fine tune the car on the road.

We do recommend using a Q or Q+ with extra drivers to operate our PERRIN PWI-1 if you can get it tuned as such. We will be offering this for local clients, then internet clients down the road.
Hope that helps clarify!

Let me know how Jeff or I can help further!

Old 11-18-2007, 06:25 PM
scolburn79
4th Gear
Ok, You didn't really understand me and of course I didn't really explain it. As your climate over there is quite abit colder or just different, the way you tune your cars is different to the way we tune our cars. Tuning cars is tuning cars, i get that, it is all the same process. But you guys would have different atmospheric pressure to us, the climate is different, the petrol is different etc. So taking something that you guys have tuned for your minis and putting it on ours just won't work. When the guys saw the maps that my Unichip came with, they said that if I had of used them my car's dash would have lite up like a christmas tree and I may have very well got detination. They deleted all the maps out and started from scratch. Mine is driving a Water/Meth kit and it made 20whp, and it is the Q version, but I do have to take it back as it isn't finished properly yet. All I am saying is for people that live outside of the states, it is still just a best guess, A very good best guess mind you. I love your parts, I have heaps of them but wouldn't spend that amount of money just to wipe the maps out and start from scratch

Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Haven't tried it. But I have one out of my GP and I can certainly check. E-mail me for results on Monday!

Thanks for asking!
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
CERTAINLY! We will keep doing more and more mapping in the coming months. I need to query Jeff on how the RON scale crosses over to the octane ratings here, but we can certainly do that. Certainly more aggressive timing can be used in that situation.

Thankfully, with the newest software we have for the UniChip even existing clients can now send their ECU's to us and we can update the firmware and put proper mapping on it to gain more HP etc.

Thanks again for asking!
98 is like 93-ish octane.

Originally Posted by scolburn79
Ok, You didn't really understand me and of course I didn't really explain it. As your climate over there is quite abit colder or just different, the way you tune your cars is different to the way we tune our cars. Tuning cars is tuning cars, i get that, it is all the same process. But you guys would have different atmospheric pressure to us, the climate is different, the petrol is different etc. So taking something that you guys have tuned for your minis and putting it on ours just won't work. When the guys saw the maps that my Unichip came with, they said that if I had of used them my car's dash would have lite up like a christmas tree and I may have very well got detination. They deleted all the maps out and started from scratch. Mine is driving a Water/Meth kit and it made 20whp, and it is the Q version, but I do have to take it back as it isn't finished properly yet. All I am saying is for people that live outside of the states, it is still just a best guess, A very good best guess mind you. I love your parts, I have heaps of them but wouldn't spend that amount of money just to wipe the maps out and start from scratch
I would agree that outside the US will be hard to do a whole lot for custom mapping. But Unichip has dealers all over the world, and qualified tuners all over the world that can take care of you. BUt the ALTA maps for the normal guy should still yeild more power. BUt as time passes, we would like to get some Aussies to test it out. It might take a couple times to get it just right, but i think we could build specific maps for certain areas of the world.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:46 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Are you sure about the octane scaling? Because our 98 fuel over here is sold/marketed as 98 octane fuel?!

Originally Posted by ALTA2
98 is like 93-ish octane.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Jeff will certainly chime in here. BUT the difference he is referencing involves how the numbers relate. So your 98 RON = our 93 here.

Sorry for the confusion!

Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Charles325i
1st Gear
I recently bought the Alta OCC and about 3 days ago i found a huge amount of oil comming from my car. Took it to the dealership and they said that they hoses are becoming kinked when the hood is closed, i set it up the way you told me, and i now realize that many other people have had this issue. The dealership said i had oil commin out of the intake, and it was alot. So now i owe $200+ to the dealership for stock parts and labor. This doesnt sound like something i should be paying for, i am very disapointed and would like a refund for the OCC, what are my options?>

Old 11-28-2007, 06:50 AM
tavis1
2nd Gear
What is a OCC?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 AM
efancher
Neutral
Oil Catch Can

Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
JEFF>>>>>>>>>Where did you go?!!!!!!

Ok he was working on the Turbo System for the R56 yesterday. Sorry for his delay.

Something must be a miss on the OCC, but Jeff can certainly explain better. As a side note I have our original OCC on my 02 MCS in the original configuration since 2003 and no issues no concerns. SO, must be something awry!

Thank you for your post and Jeff will be here ASAP!

Thanks again folks!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
CAn you take a shot of the engine bay and email to us?
If installed correctly, the hoses shouldn't get pinched when the hood is shut. A picture would clear this up for us. Was your OCC full of anything?

Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Charles325i
1st Gear
sure, i believe i follow all directions correctly, if u want an email whats the address? - and the Lbracket is turned with the longer flat side up, with it the opposite way the Occ was resting on the body,

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!