Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles325i
sure, i believe i follow all directions correctly, if u want an email whats the address? - and the Lbracket is turned with the longer flat side up, with it the opposite way the Occ was resting on the body,

PIctures are always a great substitute for us being there.
First the OCC hoses. You are correct, one of them are pinched. This could cause a lot of issues like you described. Maybe the catch can is mounted high and pushing the hoses into the hood? Or the silicone hoses are too tight? We do send out some nice plastic connectors which are a bit shorter, so you might try those??

But there are some other things that are not correct about the installation. Which could cause some issues also.
- Intercooler Clamps. There are supposed to be 4 of these on the car, not two. This will cause a major boost leak, and a huge loss in performance. I can't understand why the dealer didn't catch this......
-Radiator Hose clamp. The front upper Rad hose clamp needs to be removed, or the bolt and bracket will dig into the intercooler an cause a hole. This is something very simple to fix when you install the clamps for the IC.
-ALTA Intake trim. This is a small thing, but is normally is trimmed where it goes across the back of the air box.

I hope that helps you get things rolling again. Let us know if you have more questions!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
Charles325i
1st Gear
yes the alta intercooler coupling were too small to fit so i tried to cut and could only get one clamp on them, but that lasted about a day then put the stock ones back on,

i am gettin the car back tomorrow, and really dont want this to happen again so i would like to arrange a refund for your occ

Old 11-28-2007, 03:47 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Charles325i: Sorry you are having problems with your OCC and other items. Proper installation is KEY to both making power and proper operation.

Jeff has raised other valid concerns to genuinely help you out and increase the enjoyment from your products that you have purchased. So please don't read any offense into the reply. Just trying to help out!

There is no risk of repeated incidence if the product is properly installed. If you would like to discuss this matter further, my personal contact information is listed below.

Thanks again and back to our regularly scheduled thread!!!!!

Adam@altaminiperformance.com
503-693-1702 xt 110

Old 11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just reinstall the OCC correctly and all will be good.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Charles325i
1st Gear
so how should it be installed "correctly" when i followed all instructions,

Old 11-28-2007, 07:16 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Speaking of Alta OCCs, i wanted to know how do i open up my occ on an 06 MCS to empty it out? and how often should i do this, i was told about once every two months....

Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Charles325i
so how should it be installed "correctly" when i followed all instructions,
You need to leave room at the top of the can for the tubing. Your installation was in error, not Alta's fault. This is easily remedied. Just lower the can's location. I just used zip ties to attach my can in the same location instead of the bracket.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HighSchoolzMINI
Speaking of Alta OCCs, i wanted to know how do i open up my occ on an 06 MCS to empty it out? and how often should i do this, i was told about once every two months....
You can disassemble the top of the can or you could just disconnect the upper part of the inspection tube and drain it that way.

I just keep an eye on the inspection tube and drain it when it gets to be about half full.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks Scott! You hit the nail on the head in all cases here. Crap I drive home from work, pop back on and you got me covered!

Thanks again folks and again to Charles, feel free to phone me at anytime to discuss!

Thanks again!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:01 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
You can disassemble the top of the can or you could just disconnect the upper part of the inspection tube and drain it that way.

I just keep an eye on the inspection tube and drain it when it gets to be about half full.
are there instructions on how to dissasemble the top of the can? i dont wanna just take it apart and do something wrong here, im a nervous modder

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Just loosen the hose clamp and the top plate with the hoses attached will pop right out. It is a bit of a tight fit, but it shouldn't be a problem to get off and back on.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:29 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Again thanks folks!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Charles325i
1st Gear
alta, thank you for your support, dont mean to be THAT guy just was gettin stressed about the car, the only thing is that if i were to lower the occ it would rest against the body, i seem to have very little room around there, i was thinging why not use 90degree connections for the tube? seems like it would buy me about an icnh more of clearence, thanks again for ur concern

Old 11-29-2007, 05:56 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Any news on this front?

Cheers

Originally Posted by auscoops
Hi

Does the new airfilter (R53) fit the JCW Airbox?

Cheers

Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Just loosen the hose clamp and the top plate with the hoses attached will pop right out. It is a bit of a tight fit, but it shouldn't be a problem to get off and back on.
sounds good enough, i gotta swing by the mechanics this week so i'll ask him to show me once

Old 11-30-2007, 08:49 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by auscoops
Any news on this front?

Cheers
I will ask Jeff to check again. My apologies for the delay!

Adam

Old 11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
I quoted it in a post, 1167, but forgot to write anything!
The JCW replacement filter is very different that other ALTA filter, so we would have to make a new one. It might be something you see next year!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 AM
newbs49
Banned
About the JCW filter. I thought this was something you were working on back in the summer along with a diveter for the GP intercooler according to Adam????

Old 12-01-2007, 06:15 PM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
I appologize if this question has been asked before...I tried searching and kept getting told there were no matches. So, my question/problem: I am right in the middle of 17% sc pulley change and I can't get the stock pulley off to save my life - we have broke 2 pulley pullers. Is the special alta puller required? Is there a lock on the pulley? I am about to pull my hair out...stressing out here. Please help!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by newbs49
About the JCW filter. I thought this was something you were working on back in the summer along with a diveter for the GP intercooler according to Adam????
You can blame me! I kind of pushed back some of those items until I had my own GP (which of course we do now) and then the R56 stuff took over temporarily. But Jeff and I will get those items down no problem. My personal apologies for the delay!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by mrs.mini
I appologize if this question has been asked before...I tried searching and kept getting told there were no matches. So, my question/problem: I am right in the middle of 17% sc pulley change and I can't get the stock pulley off to save my life - we have broke 2 pulley pullers. Is the special alta puller required? Is there a lock on the pulley? I am about to pull my hair out...stressing out here. Please help!
OK! I saw your other post and asked for a PM with your contact info. Happy to call and try to work you through this!

Chat soon!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 PM
newbs49
Banned
Thanks Adam

By the way, the gauges look awsome in the the car. To bad I got to enjoy them for two days before I put the car away for the winter. Thanks.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 AM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by newbs49
Thanks Adam

By the way, the gauges look awsome in the the car. To bad I got to enjoy them for two days before I put the car away for the winter. Thanks.
Well they will still be there when you pull it out though! Glad you like em! Thanks for the input to the group!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Hi guys

I have just purchased the 2.5' cat back exhaust for my 05 MCS.

Just a quick question - Have you had any reports of conflict between the B&M Shifter being installed, visually it looks like i might run into problems... The the first muffler looks to sit directly below the shifter box, and looks like it'll be a snug fit. The B&M kit replaces the standard cover for the shifter and moves it slightly down...

Hopefully it'll all go in nicely and play together!

Any thoughts?

Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
ALTAPerformance
Former Vendor
Hey thanks for the puchase and the post!

There should be no issue. The ALTA short shifter can be adjusted below the B&M and it doesn't hit, so you should be good to go.

If you do have an issue, please let us know and we will gladly help out.

Good luck and have a great weekend!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!