Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Alta, since you declined to answer the challenge in the "exhaust tip" thread, here it is, right in front of Gawd and everyone: where are you on the single oval replacement tip for your (R53) exhaust system and will it be given as a warranty replacement to those of us who were duped by your claims of having eliminated the differential discoloring problem?
If this is not resolved, and soon, I will be removing all Alta parts from my MINI and selling them dirt cheap for the crap that they are.
I did not pay darned near $1000 to have your system installed (at MITM) to have it look like crap within 6 months. Put up or shut up.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:20 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
This is the third post that I read tonight about the Alta exhaust problem and the often promised but not delivered oval tip. I guess this must be fate. I had finally decided on the Alta exhaust and was looking forward to it come the end of winter. Now I guess I'm back to square one. Darn!

Old 01-03-2008, 09:34 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
There is no difference between the stock SC and the JCW water pump gearing. But there has been some talk of the water pump being spun too fast when using the 19%, I have no data to support this other than anecdotal.
I'm just going by what the lead MINI Tech told me......

Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
second to none
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would anyone off hand happen to know the gph rating of the stock pump?
and at what RPM, so I could get an idea of the kind of variation in flow rate?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NMgokart
Ok Alta, since you declined to answer the challenge in the "exhaust tip" thread, here it is, right in front of Gawd and everyone: where are you on the single oval replacement tip for your (R53) exhaust system and will it be given as a warranty replacement to those of us who were duped by your claims of having eliminated the differential discoloring problem?
If this is not resolved, and soon, I will be removing all Alta parts from my MINI and selling them dirt cheap for the crap that they are.
I did not pay darned near $1000 to have your system installed (at MITM) to have it look like crap within 6 months. Put up or shut up.
Nice...........try a call or email dude. :impatient

Or just do as you threaten, who cares if you have any Alta on your car.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:15 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
a) My purpose is to keep this out in the open, so everyone with the same problem gets the benefit of an answer; not just the squeaky wheel getting taken care of behind the scenes and no one else knows. Comprende?
and
b) oh, I dunno, maybe Alta? Looks like I've already swayed one person from buying their stuff.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 PM
muggy
4th Gear
Just wanted to tell ALTA that their ad on the NAM homepage that switches between their black intakes - it says r56 with the picture for the r53 intake, and r53 next to the picture of the r56 intake.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Hey guys! Thanks for the posts and thanks for the info.

I will agree that the oval tip has lagged more than we wanted it too. I can say that they are in the building right now. Will wait until there is photography etc. Also, we have ANOTHER option for folks with EITHER style tip to try as well.

I can say that the discoloration issue has been an issue for some. I am sorry that anyone had an issue at all. With that being said NMGOKART: For all things holy, CALL ME or e-mail ME or CALL our staff or send an e-mail etc. We try VERY hard to answer all requests etc. I am sorry if I missed your "challenge" someplace else on NAM.

I think more than very few vendors on NAM we are all over things like flys on stink. A healthy portion of my day is spent here trying to help folks with customer service as well as building the car into what they truly want. I am genuinely remorseful that you are unhappy with your purchase. We do have at least two options for you to choose from and they will be coming shortly. But without trying to sound like a complete ***, your threat to sell your existing purchases" dirt cheap", and "put up or shut up" really makes you appear to the group as something less than professional, and less than willing to work to amicable solution. How does offing the items at a loss help you? Just puts less coin in your pocket to make a new purchase right? It simply doesn't make sense. If you can be professional or at least cordial I WILL help you! From this point forward if you choose to keep your purchases I will gladly assist you into a new tip? Sound fair?

MY contact info is below. I look forward to helping you ASAP!

taft.adam@gmail.com
adam.taft@altaminiperformance.com

Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by muggy
Just wanted to tell ALTA that their ad on the NAM homepage that switches between their black intakes - it says r56 with the picture for the r53 intake, and r53 next to the picture of the r56 intake.
TOO FUNNY! I will get someone on it! Thanks for the heads up! HAPPY NEW YEAR BTW!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM
rwkeating
4th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for replying about the oval tip Adam. Spring is still a long way away so I have time to wait. Can't wait to see the oval tip.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
So does this mean we get a free tip or something?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Tavis1: Depending on the circumstances and the source of the complaint, we are going to offer a couple different solutions. I will have more information to share later next week. Along with photos etc.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NMgokart
a) My purpose is to keep this out in the open, so everyone with the same problem gets the benefit of an answer; not just the squeaky wheel getting taken care of behind the scenes and no one else knows. Comprende?
and
b) oh, I dunno, maybe Alta? Looks like I've already swayed one person from buying their stuff.
Happy now..................

Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 AM
NMgokart
6th Gear
Yep, happy. Thanks, Adam, for the reply and an e-mail is on it's way to you.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:20 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Cool..............

Glad to see common courtesy and respect still works !

Old 01-05-2008, 02:51 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
Thanks Adam!

Old 01-08-2008, 09:31 AM
c5&S
1st Gear
Hi Adam,

I have a 2003 MCS with 210 JCW. Have purchased your Inlet hose for 6-spd manual.

My problem is the inner diamenter of your inlet hose is so much bigger (I know this is a good thing) then the throttle body diameter, that it just wants to slide out. Have the some problem on the other end with the JCW air box...am I doing something wrong ???

Thanks for your help,
Manuel.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Just tighten the clamp. It appears like the tube won't get snug, but it will be VERY tight when the clamp is tightened properly. you are not doing anything wrong, just needs more uphmt to get it tight. I have installed that tube alone on my GP before switching out to the complete ALTA intake. So you will be a-ok!

Thanks again! Chat soon!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
Hey Adam,

Will the Alta short throw shifter fit a whalen shift ***?

Dan

Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Hi Adam,

I just purchased your intercooler air diverter (v 1), and I was wondering if I had the sprayer spraying that blue windshield washing fluid all over my intercooler, would that cause any harm, (versus just water)?

I live in an area with freezing cold winters, so I need the anti-freeze windshield solution, but that would also be the same liquid that would squirt all over my intercooler, so I want to ber sure that I wouldn't be causing any damage to parts/corrosion over the long term.

Thanks,

JON

Old 01-10-2008, 07:23 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MiniStupidfun
Hey Adam,

Will the Alta short throw shifter fit a whalen shift ***?

Dan
Yup! Whalen as I remember even ordered one to double check. Just order the one for the OEM shift **** and you are a-ok!

Thanks for asking!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jonnieoh
Hi Adam,

I just purchased your intercooler air diverter (v 1), and I was wondering if I had the sprayer spraying that blue windshield washing fluid all over my intercooler, would that cause any harm, (versus just water)?

I live in an area with freezing cold winters, so I need the anti-freeze windshield solution, but that would also be the same liquid that would squirt all over my intercooler, so I want to ber sure that I wouldn't be causing any damage to parts/corrosion over the long term.

Thanks,

JON
Shouldn't be an issue at all. The alcohol in it also helps improve cooling of the IC over straight water. You may want to check periodically for any residue from any surfactant in the liquid. You can simply rinse that off during a car wash. Nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks again for the purchase and for asking!

Old 01-10-2008, 07:42 AM
MiniStupidfun
6th Gear
awesome, thank you

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Thanks Adam.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM
MaxMini81
Wanderer
Adam,I see a lot of questions for you on here so I'll add my own. When I got my I/C air diverter, I got a nice pair of blue silicone couplers for the I/C itself. I have taken time out on a few occasions to try to wrestle those on and to no success. I even did it once (after installing the bypass valve) with the right 'airhorn' off. Is there some master secret to getting those little SOBs on? I like the look. Its certainly better than stock, so what do I do?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!