Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:33 AM
kelcool1969
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question....

05 MCS MTX

I bought a 2nd hand Alta CAI....only came with shield, weather stripping, and filter.....what bolts screws will I need to get from the hardware store, anything other than bolts and screws needed?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Chappy
5th Gear
19 mm Swaybar Bushings

I've owned my Alta 19mm swaybar for over a year, just now installed it (sorry) and greased the bushings before I installed them. Initially it was great, now it's starting to squeal like a pig. I called a friend of mine who told me that Alta came out with a better designed bushing than the ones I have. Can you please provide me with some direction here so I can get this fixed?

It's getting so bad now that I can hear it over the supercharger AND the radio!

DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO STOCK... NEVER!

Thanks,
Squeaky

Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chappy
I've owned my Alta 19mm swaybar for over a year, just now installed it (sorry) and greased the bushings before I installed them. Initially it was great, now it's starting to squeal like a pig. I called a friend of mine who told me that Alta came out with a better designed bushing than the ones I have. Can you please provide me with some direction here so I can get this fixed?

Thanks,
Squeaky
Yep mine did the same thing. the new style bushing has little grooves inside, they look almost like it's threaded. Hopefully they work better . Now if I can just get my control arms to stop sqeaking .

Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by joshamman
What exactly are "minor changes"? I assume I will need it redone at a muffler shop? Are we talking minor hanger adjustments? Or rebends?

Thank you.
(ps. just installed my Air Diverter and LOVE the way it looks)
Nothing needs re-bent in the exhaust. Just changes to the X brace itself. On my wifes car I believe I just spaced it down and bent it slightly.

Glad you like the Air Diverter!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kelcool1969
Quick question....

05 MCS MTX

I bought a 2nd hand Alta CAI....only came with shield, weather stripping, and filter.....what bolts screws will I need to get from the hardware store, anything other than bolts and screws needed?

Thanks for your help.
From what you describe, you might need a 2.75" clamp or two, but that should be it. Good luck!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor

Thanks,
Squeaky
Contact our CSR's at 503-222-MINI give them your original sales information and we can get you the newer bushings. They have grease grooves that help hold it better.

Sorry for the problem!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
Yep mine did the same thing. the new style bushing has little grooves inside, they look almost like it's threaded. Hopefully they work better . Now if I can just get my control arms to stop sqeaking .
What is wrong with the control arm? If it is one of the rod ends let us know. A few kits shipped that later on we discovered the rod ends weren't up to snuff. Strength wise were a-ok, but made noise. We will replace the ends for you if needed. Minor paperwork, but otherwise no big deal!

Old 03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Chappy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Contact our CSR's at 503-222-MINI give them your original sales information and we can get you the newer bushings. They have grease grooves that help hold it better.

Sorry for the problem!
Adam,

Thanks.
I just called and spoke with Katy and the new bushings are on the way!

Great customer service.

Thanks again,
Mike

Old 03-18-2008, 03:52 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Adam,

Thanks.
I just called and spoke with Katy and the new bushings are on the way!

Great customer service.

Thanks again,
Mike
SWEET!

Glad she could help!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:29 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 to the customer service...
I have always been impressed with the amount of service I get from Alta.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:05 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is wrong with the control arm? If it is one of the rod ends let us know. A few kits shipped that later on we discovered the rod ends weren't up to snuff. Strength wise were a-ok, but made noise. We will replace the ends for you if needed. Minor paperwork, but otherwise no big deal!
Thanks Adam for the PM. I am going to see what Steve wants to do. Thanks again .

Old 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
+1 to the customer service...
I have always been impressed with the amount of service I get from Alta.
(Don't have a question; just doing some reading since i've bought quite a bit from ALTA recently, with plans to order even more stuff in the near future.)

+1,
ALTA def. has the BEST customer service for a shop that i've ever called!! They actually answer their phones, and the representative is always very friendly and helpful. Based on the customer service from ALTA the shop i took my RX-7 to didn't even exist, it was that bad.

EDIT: Adam, thanks again for everything. Got my CAI, and 19MM sway bar tonight!!!

Last edited by Winchm60; 03-18-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Joser
2nd Gear
Alta,
recently, I purchased your silicone intercooler couplers and your silicone throttle inlet hose. since I have installed them I have been having problems with induction leaks. I hear a loud whistling noise from the intercooler couplings and the throttle inlet hose does not fit right between the throttle and the CAI. do you have any tips on how to remedy this problem. I have taken off the intercooler and remounted it multiple times, to no avail. are there any clamps (other than the stock) that will seal better? as for the throttle inlet hose I just went back to the stock I would really like to make use of it but not at the cost of my cars performance. please please help me.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:06 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear

Sorry for the problem!
Question: instead of putting bandaids (the grooves) on an an old wound (the material that causes the squeaking), why not offer the bushings in a new material that doesn't squeak, like another sway bar-making company that will not be named here, does?

Zip

Old 03-22-2008, 10:29 AM
newbs49
Banned
Joser
Make sure your intercooler has no oil film on the ends or on the horns. They must be cleaned with brake clean or another product for a good seal. Also some have ground down the clamps a bit for a tighter fit. Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:40 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
Hi Alta people

Any updates on a foam pod filter that'll fit the JCW airbox?

Cheers

Roland

Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Joser
Alta,
recently, I purchased your silicone intercooler couplers and your silicone throttle inlet hose. since I have installed them I have been having problems with induction leaks. I hear a loud whistling noise from the intercooler couplings and the throttle inlet hose does not fit right between the throttle and the CAI. do you have any tips on how to remedy this problem. I have taken off the intercooler and remounted it multiple times, to no avail. are there any clamps (other than the stock) that will seal better? as for the throttle inlet hose I just went back to the stock I would really like to make use of it but not at the cost of my cars performance. please please help me.
I am not sure how you could be getting a leak what with the greater thickness of the new couplers. Just make sure you have the boots completely on and the brackets are on correctly. You are more likely to have a leak on the intake hose than the couplers. I know I had to really finese my hose on to get it on all the way.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:23 AM
newbs49
Banned
+1 ON THE AIR FILTER FOR JCW

Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 PM
auscoops
3rd Gear
What about a Alta valve cover plaque??

Idea for engine bay

How about designing a valve cover plaque, branded Alta, possibly set in CF or brushed aluminium. Dress up the engine bay a little.

Just something for those of us who have shares in Alta and what something more to show for it! hehe

I know i'd buy it.

+ BUMP for JCW replacement filter!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:06 PM
tavis1
2nd Gear
MAN I HATE IT WHEN I DON"T GET NOTIFIED OF NEW REPLIES!

Adam long time no write. Just a couple of things.

1. Any word on the smog cert. for your CAI for the 02- 06 MINI Coop S?

2. What neat plans do you have for the Clubman?

3. On your rear A-arm bushings, can those be positioned at stock specs?

Thanks Adam.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Lumberlog
1st Gear
ALTA CAI issues

I just installed a CAI kit on my late 07 R56 MCS and I wanted to mention a couple of issues.

Most of the problems I had have to do with the documentation. First, the poorly Xeroxed instructions were so dark that the pictures were essentially just black squares which were totally useless. The instructions haven't been available on the server for over a week so I couldn't additional info there.

Second, on my Mini, there is no way to separate the stock cold air intake tube, unless maybe you're the Hulk, so you can twist it out of the stock airbox. You have to remove all the mounting from the airbox and twist the box instead of the tube to separate the two. This should be made clear to save a lot of headache and possibly damage.

Finally, the instructions say that you should remove the scoop intake grill but mine was already active (had holes in it) so I don't believe this is necessary. Comments Adam? I went ahead and removed mine to see how it would work out but when you take it off it really looks like a piece is missing! There is flat, stained paint showing and seam welds, not to mention the scoop pins sticking out. Looks terrible!
To remove the scoop, the instructions say to pull hard on the scoop insert but I would caution against this. I pulled on mine and one of the snaps on the underside promptly broke. I used a panel removal tool to slip under the scoop and gently pry out the rest of the snaps. I had to glue the snap back in place, hopefully it will hold.

Overall I like the kit. It sounds great and I may be fooling myself but the engine seems to develop power a lot quicker. I love the freeway entrances from a full stop into moving traffic. I'm passing people before I get to the end of the onramp! The documentation seems to be for another version of the car though. You may have to get creative to interpret the instructions for your car.

I bought the H&R spring kit as well but I think I'll wait until the instructions are available on the site before I attempt an install.

Lumberlog

Old 04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Question: instead of putting bandaids (the grooves) on an an old wound (the material that causes the squeaking), why not offer the bushings in a new material that doesn't squeak, like another sway bar-making company that will not be named here, does?

Zip
Sorry if I made an offensive statement. We do use a different durometer of the material, insert the grooves, and have had REALLY excellent success with them. Feel free to insert whatever other mfr you choose into the thread. WE are always happy to help be honest and forthright.

Let me know how I can help in anyway shape or form.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by auscoops
Hi Alta people

Any updates on a foam pod filter that'll fit the JCW airbox?

Cheers

Roland
Just poked again. Sorry!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
I am not sure how you could be getting a leak what with the greater thickness of the new couplers. Just make sure you have the boots completely on and the brackets are on correctly. You are more likely to have a leak on the intake hose than the couplers. I know I had to really finese my hose on to get it on all the way.
Good point! Maybe the clamps are striped out. I have seen that a lot recently!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by auscoops
Idea for engine bay

How about designing a valve cover plaque, branded Alta, possibly set in CF or brushed aluminium. Dress up the engine bay a little.

Just something for those of us who have shares in Alta and what something more to show for it! hehe

I know i'd buy it.

+ BUMP for JCW replacement filter!
Too funny! We have considered it. I will poke again. Thanks for being a shareholder!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!