Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:38 AM
sprp85
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i mean the exhaust is brand new..
it will take sometime but it will get louder

Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sprp85
i mean the exhaust is brand new..
it will take sometime but it will get louder
Got it! Sorry for the mis-read!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Jim_Shorts
Neutral
Oooops, my bad. Sorry to imply that the "burble" is totally gone. It's not totally gone, but it is not as noticible as it was with the Alta dual tip and maybe that has to do with the way the Single Oval tip is designed. Was the exhaust, on decel "fighting with itself to get out of either of the two openings? I don't know. Is the burble minimized because the exit is back several inches from the outside World? I don't know. The burble is still there on decel, but not as sharp as with the dual tip. The looks of the single oval tip far outweigh the minimized burble. Okay, for kicks someone take a dual tip and wrap around it with some material that won't explode and catch the back of the car on fire...Aluminum Foil??? make a Single Oval tip out of your dual tip and go out and drive it around the block and see what it sounds like. I'd try it, but I don't have a dual tip. I bet it's going to be quieter. Anyone, Anyone

Old 05-12-2008, 03:48 PM
uRabbit
4th Gear
That looks great! Very wow. Would look great with my limo tint and smoked tail lights. Too bad that I had to move into a new place and prolly won't be able to afford the exhaust ever.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Bigt387
Neutral
this might have been brought up, but how does the the filtration of the drop in foam filter from u guys compare to the filtration of the paper filter that comes w/ the car(2003 MCS)?

i just bought the your foam filter, i'm just wondering if i should only use it at autocross(i'm trying to stay in the stock class otherwise i would have gone w/ cold air), and keep the paper one on for every day driving

(what size particals does it stop in microns?)

Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by uRabbit
That looks great! Very wow. Would look great with my limo tint and smoked tail lights. Too bad that I had to move into a new place and prolly won't be able to afford the exhaust ever.
Well that is better than never! Chin up! Keep us posted if we can help further!

Old 05-12-2008, 07:32 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Bigt387
this might have been brought up, but how does the the filtration of the drop in foam filter from u guys compare to the filtration of the paper filter that comes w/ the car(2003 MCS)?

i just bought the your foam filter, i'm just wondering if i should only use it at autocross(i'm trying to stay in the stock class otherwise i would have gone w/ cold air), and keep the paper one on for every day driving

(what size particals does it stop in microns?)
I need to get the details on the microns in the AM. E-mail me at adam.taft@altaminiperformance.com and I can forward more information.

It does out flow the stock paper filter, but I can't imagine they would give you a bad time even in the tightest stock classes.

Let me know!

Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 PM
pure13
2nd Gear
Mystery Part

Hi Adam,

In the process of installing R53 Boost/Oil Temp gauge package. Came across this part, looks like an air filter. Should this be placed inline to the pressure sensor?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Attached Thumbnails Official ALTA Q&A thread!-air_filter.gif  

Last edited by pure13; 05-14-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: missing image
Old 05-15-2008, 07:12 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pure13
Hi Adam,

In the process of installing R53 Boost/Oil Temp gauge package. Came across this part, looks like an air filter. Should this be placed inline to the pressure sensor?

Thanks in advance for your response.

You are absolutely correct! It is an optional filter, but I HIGHLY recommend using it.

Thanks for asking!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
I have my stealth exhaust on, but my #2 sensor immediately threw a code. Is this a common problem when adding the exhaust? the muffler dude said it may not be allowing enough back pressure thus throwing the code...?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:08 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SnYpR
I have my stealth exhaust on, but my #2 sensor immediately threw a code. Is this a common problem when adding the exhaust? the muffler dude said it may not be allowing enough back pressure thus throwing the code...?
The answer is NO it can't and won't create a CEL. The backpressure comment is actually kind of funny. BUT, we need to find out what the CEL is from. Have you checked the obvious first? Such as did you get gas recently? Check the cap itself. Be sure it is tight, this is the most common CEL that people get period.

Any other mods to the car at the same time as the cat-back? Anything that would have removed a sensor?

Let me know in a PM so I can help further.

Thanks for the business and chat soon!

Old 05-21-2008, 09:42 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
the computer said it was a Bank 1 Sensor 2 malfunction. I used Autozone first, they cleared it off and it came back the next time i drove the car. took it to the muffler shop that put it on, and they got the same code.
No other mods, just the exhaust was done. I noticed the light right after i picked it up on my way home from the install.
I had it put on Saturday, i havent gotten gas in over a week, Yesterday was the first day i had to fill up since the exhaust. So I don't think thats an issue. It wasn't on when i dropped it off, but it was on the second i picked it up..

I know it is something that they did/didn't do. I just don't know what yet. Can an exhaust leak throw a code, or maybe if they didnt use a gasket? Normally i would have put it on myself, but the oem exhaust had to be cut off. I havent been under the car yet to inspect the sensor visually.

also, care to elaborate how the back pressure is not an issue, so that i can shoot that excuse of theirs out of water? thanks!

Last edited by MUShadd; 05-21-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:18 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
the computer said it was a Bank 1 Sensor 2 malfunction. I used Autozone first, they cleared it off and it came back the next time i drove the car. took it to the muffler shop that put it on, and they got the same code.
No other mods, just the exhaust was done. I noticed the light right after i picked it up on my way home from the install.
I had it put on Saturday, i havent gotten gas in over a week, Yesterday was the first day i had to fill up since the exhaust. So I don't think thats an issue. It wasn't on when i dropped it off, but it was on the second i picked it up..

I know it is something that they did/didn't do. I just don't know what yet. Can an exhaust leak throw a code, or maybe if they didnt use a gasket? Normally i would have put it on myself, but the oem exhaust had to be cut off. I havent been under the car yet to inspect the sensor visually.

also, care to elaborate how the back pressure is not an issue, so that i can shoot that excuse of theirs out of water? thanks!
Oh K, so from what you have said, it appears they must have touched, moved or damaged the rear O2 sensor. While removal of that sensor is NOT needed for installation of an exhaust system, if they didn't use due care when removing the OEM system it could have pulled down the tail section of the header assembly where that sensor is located and thus damaged it, hence the code.

The O2 sensors, do not measure back pressure or anything other than emissions. So no amount of increased or decreased back pressure is going to affect that situation.

Please keep me posted!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:19 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Okay, thanks for that... so one more question, can an exhaust leak at the flange trigger it? I'm curious if they had the common sense to reuse the oem gasket... I love paying someone 100 dollars to break my car...gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 PM
22CooperS
4th Gear
I ordered my ALTA intake from Autosport Plus in Canton, OH in February 2008. Here it is in late May, and still no intake. I was in touch with John of Alta and he said the intakes are off back order and are being shipped- I received that e-mail 1 month ago!

I'm becoming extremely aggravated. A month I can understand, but this is more than ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:24 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Okay, thanks for that... so one more question, can an exhaust leak at the flange trigger it? I'm curious if they had the common sense to reuse the oem gasket... I love paying someone 100 dollars to break my car...gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
Yeah I bet. I got your PM after you posted this. So I think you are on the right track there. Chat off forum soon!

Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
I ordered my ALTA intake from Autosport Plus in Canton, OH in February 2008. Here it is in late May, and still no intake. I was in touch with John of Alta and he said the intakes are off back order and are being shipped- I received that e-mail 1 month ago!

I'm becoming extremely aggravated. A month I can understand, but this is more than ridiculous.
Hey I understand completely! Who the heck is Autosport Plus? Not trying to throw stones but I highly recommend using local brick n mortar dealers listed on our website as authorized OR buy direct if it is mail order. This will insure the highest levels of customer service, and product stock levels. We have PLENTY of those in stock and ready to ship, so if you need to, cancel the order there, get a refund and ring me and I will ship one as early as tuesday.

Thanks again for the business and for the patience. Hope to hear from you soon!

Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 AM
22CooperS
4th Gear
I will be speaking to Autosport Plus this week.

Autosport Plus is an extremely reputable local dealer in this area- I've bought THOUSANDS of dollars worth of parts as well as every "car guy" friend I have. I've never had one problem with them. They told me their supplier was unable to get the intake from Alta.

I'll get to the bottom of this- thanks for the information.

I don't want to be mad at anyone over this- I just want my intake so I can have that BRILLIANT whine and a few extra horses!! lol

Old 05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
I will be speaking to Autosport Plus this week.

Autosport Plus is an extremely reputable local dealer in this area- I've bought THOUSANDS of dollars worth of parts as well as every "car guy" friend I have. I've never had one problem with them. They told me their supplier was unable to get the intake from Alta.

I'll get to the bottom of this- thanks for the information.

I don't want to be mad at anyone over this- I just want my intake so I can have that BRILLIANT whine and a few extra horses!! lol
Thank you for the reply. I wasn't mad, but I completely understand you being frustrated. The simple point I was trying to make, was these issues are more rare, when you buy from an authorized dealer, or from us directly. When you mentioned it was getting ridiculous I just wanted folks to understand that it was the retailer with the issue, not ALTA.

My offer still stands though. If you want to order directly I can ship as early as Tuesday.

Let me know! Chat soon and thanks again!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
I have a perrin pw-1 system that I am in the process of installing, only problem is, I have no instructions at all. I have checked out the thread on the subject and that helps a little.

What I wanted to know is if you have a little bit more detailed instruction manual of some sort. ie: wiring harness description, and the harder to figure out bits.

also I think I'm going crazy trying to figure out how to plumb the injection nozzle into my already drilled and tapped intake IC horn.

I visited the site and it seems like you guys dont even sell the thing anymore. I cant find it for sale in any of the S areas. I knew there was an instruction manual download, but the last time I tried it, it didn't work. I tried contacting you guys through e-mail but never received a reply. Any kind of help would be great. I've had this thing sitting around for about a year and only got all the bits and pieces to do it right a day or two ago. I will post some pics when its installed along with some dyno graphs, once my ride gets put back together.

here is a teaser: My sweet a$$ water/meth tank! :O

Last edited by El_Griton; 06-05-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:24 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
El-Griton: I know you mention e-mailling us without a reply, that is VERY odd. We can get an instruction set to you in a few minutes.

Need photos of the unit e-mailled to tech@altaminiperformance.com and Christina.Barlow@altaminiperformance.com Then we will know which version you have as well as which instructions you need.

Thanks again!

Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM
22CooperS
4th Gear
Do you have the red V2 intake for an '03 MCS actually IN stock ready to ship? As in I could have a written guarantee it'll be here in a week or less?

Old 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
Adam, I think you need to crack a whip on Ken....I'm still waiting for my pretty red Alta shirt to arrive. I really hope I get it before next weekend. I plan on wearing it to a Big Show N Go event where i'll be showing and drag racin the MINI

Old 06-06-2008, 04:29 PM
El_Griton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
El-Griton: I know you mention e-mailling us without a reply, that is VERY odd. We can get an instruction set to you in a few minutes.

Need photos of the unit e-mailled to tech@altaminiperformance.com and Christina.Barlow@altaminiperformance.com Then we will know which version you have as well as which instructions you need.

Thanks again!

e-mail sent. here are the pic i sent just in case:

Old 06-07-2008, 04:38 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by El_Griton
e-mail sent. here are the pic i sent just in case:

That is the early version kit and I asked them to e-mail you the proper instructions on monday.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!