Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:39 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 22CooperS
Do you have the red V2 intake for an '03 MCS actually IN stock ready to ship? As in I could have a written guarantee it'll be here in a week or less?
Unfortunately, no and no. I have the intake boxes, filter etc. But no silicone in red at this time. We can always deliver in less than a week, based on the shipping method you choose.

I will be in the office on Monday meeting with Dirhong, so ring me and leave a message if I can help further!

Old 06-07-2008, 04:40 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by SnYpR
Adam, I think you need to crack a whip on Ken....I'm still waiting for my pretty red Alta shirt to arrive. I really hope I get it before next weekend. I plan on wearing it to a Big Show N Go event where i'll be showing and drag racin the MINI
KENNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
This got buried and I thought I would put it back up where it belongs. Let me know if me or our staff can help with any questions or concerns!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:08 PM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
R53 catback on my R50

This is a loooooong overdue post.....sorry for the delay Adam, Ken, et al.

Many moons ago (may be a couple years ago) I contacted ALTA about the possibility of them producing a version of their R53 catback for the R50. There were no plans to do so, but seemed intrigued by my interest. I said I thought the single-sided MCS exhaust would fit an MC with just a few mods at the rear of the vehicle and offered to do it myself and report back with results.....again, sorry it took so long, but here ya go.

I LOVE IT! The sound even attracted attention at the recent Phil Wicks event at VIR.....one MCS owner wanted to know why my MC sounded better than the rest of the cars out there. Opinions are subjective, of course, but you get the idea. I think ALTA's description "The exhaust note is pleasant and lively at idle while giving a sporty, throaty growl under hard acceleration. All of this without annoying resonances at high idle or while cruising the interstate!" is spot on!

I tried a few MC exhausts and was unhappy with most of them -- mostly due to sound quality or quantity and in-cabin resonance -- and then I realized there are a number of single-sided MCS exhausts that were probably more thought out than those I figure are built mostly as an afterthought for the MC. The R50 and R53 use the same manifold and their exhausts use the same center tunnel and the same central hangers/mounting points. The passenger side can on an R53 (or the single rear can on single-sided R53 exhausts) sits exactly where the R50 rear can sits. The only things I had to do were 1) modify the hangers for the rear can and 2) cut off the S-shaped tail pipe (which routes the exhaust to the R53 center exit) and weld on a much shorter tail pipe and a tip to exit through the opening in the rear apron of my R50.

The fit is great! The sound is great! It weighs less than it did before I cut off the longer tail pipe!

Thanks ALTA!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:58 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
This is a loooooong overdue post.....sorry for the delay Adam, Ken, et al.

Many moons ago (may be a couple years ago) I contacted ALTA about the possibility of them producing a version of their R53 catback for the R50. There were no plans to do so, but seemed intrigued by my interest. I said I thought the single-sided MCS exhaust would fit an MC with just a few mods at the rear of the vehicle and offered to do it myself and report back with results.....again, sorry it took so long, but here ya go.

I LOVE IT! The sound even attracted attention at the recent Phil Wicks event at VIR.....one MCS owner wanted to know why my MC sounded better than the rest of the cars out there. Opinions are subjective, of course, but you get the idea. I think ALTA's description "The exhaust note is pleasant and lively at idle while giving a sporty, throaty growl under hard acceleration. All of this without annoying resonances at high idle or while cruising the interstate!" is spot on!

I tried a few MC exhausts and was unhappy with most of them -- mostly due to sound quality or quantity and in-cabin resonance -- and then I realized there are a number of single-sided MCS exhausts that were probably more thought out than those I figure are built mostly as an afterthought for the MC. The R50 and R53 use the same manifold and their exhausts use the same center tunnel and the same central hangers/mounting points. The passenger side can on an R53 (or the single rear can on single-sided R53 exhausts) sits exactly where the R50 rear can sits. The only things I had to do were 1) modify the hangers for the rear can and 2) cut off the S-shaped tail pipe (which routes the exhaust to the R53 center exit) and weld on a much shorter tail pipe and a tip to exit through the opening in the rear apron of my R50.

The fit is great! The sound is great! It weighs less than it did before I cut off the longer tail pipe!

Thanks ALTA!
SWEET! Thanks and PICS, PICS PICS!!!!

Seriously thanks again!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
british RACING green
3rd Gear
i'd like to see pics too, i was thinking about doing this with my mcs. posted a thread about it a couple months ago.
i'm glad you were persistant with finding the right exhaust and for thinking out of the box

Old 07-30-2008, 08:26 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
SWEET! Thanks and PICS, PICS PICS!!!!

Seriously thanks again!
I love the fact that guys like you are putting real thought into the MINI aftermarket.....just wish there was more of a market for MC-specific stuff. Oh well, the cars are so nearly identical that many of the MCS bits fit.....or can be made to fit if you take the time to noodle it through properly.

Since this thread is posted on the Cooper S forum, I'm going to put the rest of my comments (if I can think of any), pics, whatever, in this thread over on the non-S forum.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by kurvhugr
I love the fact that guys like you are putting real thought into the MINI aftermarket.....just wish there was more of a market for MC-specific stuff. Oh well, the cars are so nearly identical that many of the MCS bits fit.....or can be made to fit if you take the time to noodle it through properly.

Since this thread is posted on the Cooper S forum, I'm going to put the rest of my comments (if I can think of any), pics, whatever, in this thread over on the non-S forum.
Thanks for the link! Looks GREAT!

Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
any tips on how to get the shifter cables off the (stock) shifter?
i've pulled, i've twisted. nothing will pop off

Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by call it spade
any tips on how to get the shifter cables off the (stock) shifter?
i've pulled, i've twisted. nothing will pop off
Yeah they can be a bit of a PITA. I use a 11-12mm open end wrench under the cable then twist. Generally pops it right off! Feel free to ring me or my tech team if that doesn't work. Did you make it out for the airshow?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:51 PM
call it spade
5th Gear
Yeah they can be a bit of a PITA. I use a 11-12mm open end wrench under the cable then twist. Generally pops it right off! Feel free to ring me or my tech team if that doesn't work. Did you make it out for the airshow?
Alright, i'll give it another shot!
and yes i believe you installed a CAI on my r53 and my friend was the one annoying you about your cars and his brothers e30

Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by call it spade
Alright, i'll give it another shot!
and yes i believe you installed a CAI on my r53 and my friend was the one annoying you about your cars and his brothers e30
Yup that was me! Good choice BTW on that intake package. Hope you are enjoying it! Chat soon!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
MCS Slower accelleration with CAI ?

03' - R53 6 SPD.

I have an Alta 17% SCP and belt, Alta CAI, and 1 ball mod.

Before I added the ALTA CAI, I had phenominal accelleration using OEM Box and K&N filter. Like 0-60 runs in just under 5 seconds at upshift to 3rd gear.

Seems now I have slower 0-60 runs and it is not as strong.

Why would this be possible ?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:02 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
03' - R53 6 SPD.

Before I added the ALTA CAI, I had phenominal accelleration using OEM Box and K&N filter. Like 0-60 runs in just under 5 seconds at upshift to 3rd gear.

Seems now I have slower 0-60 runs and it is not as strong.

Why would this be possible ?
Good point as it ISN'T possible! What else was changed or modded at the same time as the intake? Did you remove the plastic shroud dividing the filter from the cowl?

Let me know so I can help you better! Thank you for the business!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:30 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
03' - R53 6 SPD.

Off a cliff, right?

If not, you need a new timing device.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMM
Off a cliff, right?

If not, you need a new timing device.
Dah, no......

Passenger who helped out with 1 Ball mod ( Meineke Muffler tech ) was keeping time with d-stop.

Why, isn't that about right for most S coups with some modifications ? (1st owner had some mods and tunes in car when we purchased it....)

Old 08-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Good point as it ISN'T possible! What else was changed or modded at the same time as the intake? Did you remove the plastic shroud dividing the filter from the cowl?

No other changes after installing CAI.

Some time ago, I had one step colder plugs, but swapped them out for hotter BOSCH Platnm 4's, Maybe I need to go back to colder plugs with a CAI ?

Each Mod made to an engine/suspension can enhance or defeat another and from my experience with racing an BUDWEISER Anheuser-Bush Sponsored AMC Javelin ( Exact duplicate like Mark Donahue's ) in NH, I may just have to find the correct combination for my particular application.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear

BTW: Until I purchase one of your ALTA intake hoses I still have the OEM one. So instead of using the #3 hose clamps, I used CV Boot Joint loops, they fit nicely into the OEM collar grooves because they are almost the same width as the OEM hose clamps.

Thanks for the help.

Attachment 36410

Attachment 36411

Last edited by Eurothrasher; 11-15-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:54 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
Dah, no......

Passenger who helped out with 1 Ball mod ( Meineke Muffler tech ) was keeping time with d-stop.

Why, isn't that about right for most S coups with some modifications ? (1st owner had some mods and tunes in car when we purchased it....)
In one word no.

With the mods you have it's not even remotely possible.

Sorry.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
BTW: Until I purchase one of your ALTA intake hoses I still have the OEM one. So instead of using the #3 hose clamps, I used CV Boot Joint loops, they fit nicely into the OEM collar grooves because they are almost the same width as the OEM hose clamps.

Thanks for the help.

Attachment 36410

Attachment 36411
Those clamps and tubes are just fine. There is simply no way the car is slower unless you left a shop rag in there or something!

Feel free to ring me directly if you have further concerns!

Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 PM
qweasd
Neutral
I installed the alta bov and the check engine light came on after a day. I was wondering if there is any way of seeing what the sensor is coming up for without taking it to the dealer. I wanted to make sure if it could be the BOV or something else. Also the cel did go off for a short period of time and came back on again. Please Help....

Old 08-30-2008, 07:17 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by qweasd
I installed the alta bov and the check engine light came on after a day. I was wondering if there is any way of seeing what the sensor is coming up for without taking it to the dealer. I wanted to make sure if it could be the BOV or something else. Also the cel did go off for a short period of time and came back on again. Please Help....
Sounds like you have a small vacuum/boost leak created during the installation. Best to check over the entire installation including the boost port as well as the BOV mounting itself.

If all looks good still, PM me for my cell# or provide your daytime number and I will ring you to discuss. Happy to help!

Adam

Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
Installed my 3" sportone for my 04 MCS today.....gotta say I love it!!! wouldn't change a thing but the exhaust hangers(alot of vibration and it melted some of the rear valance exhaust opening on the way home.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:13 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
same with my 2.5", it vibrated a lot and melted part of the opening, I had my mechanic make another hanger for me.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by M!N!-ME
Installed my 3" sportone for my 04 MCS today.....gotta say I love it!!! wouldn't change a thing but the exhaust hangers(alot of vibration and it melted some of the rear valance exhaust opening on the way home.
Glad you like it! Sorry about the bumper opening! If it is the newest style, the inner and outer hangers are adjustable to keep the tip centered. But it does take a bit of finesse' to get it right. If I can help in anyway, PLEASE let me know! Thanks again!

Adam

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!