Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 08:19 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^put the 3" back on the market for starters..lol i will try and get some sound clips sometime this week cuz i know many haven't heard it because of sceptics causing sales to not be what they should or could be???.....the power of a forum too many sheep not enough individuals

drsilvermini----do you have any pics of the fix? placement of this hanger persay???

Old 09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
jollyroger927
3rd Gear
So what exactly melts? I was interested in the Alta exhaust till now. I dont want any melting.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jollyroger927
So what exactly melts? I was interested in the Alta exhaust till now. I dont want any melting.
NOTHING if installed properly. WE give several sources of adjustment and if an installer fails to read directions and tighten properly the system could touch on the plastic bumper. BUT, that can't happen if installed right.

If you are interested and want more information please don't hesitate to ask me!

Thanks for the post!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:46 PM
jollyroger927
3rd Gear
Ok thanks much. And what exhaust is that one? I see one your site the Stealth one, is that the one being talked about or is this a previous one? Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Ok thanks much. And what exhaust is that one? I see one your site the Stealth one, is that the one being talked about or is this a previous one? Thanks again.
The 3" version is different than the current 2.5" version. The Stealth and Polished AMP-EXT-100 Twin and AMP-EXT-100 OVAL both have the newest features.

Let me know how I can help further!

Old 09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
drsilvermini
4th Gear
Don't be discouraged, I just missed a hangar or something, this is the best looking, and best sounding exhaust on the market IMHO Plus it is a single sided exhaust, so it is lighter than many of the other exhaust systems

Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
NOTHING if installed properly. WE give several sources of adjustment and if an installer fails to read directions and tighten properly the system could touch on the plastic bumper. BUT, that can't happen if installed right.

If you are interested and want more information please don't hesitate to ask me!

Thanks for the post!
You can't just make a statement like that. I read the directions properly and so did the mech that installed it. I even got down in the grave with him and told him when the tips weren't touching before he tightened it. It just gets hot and coupled with the vibration( and it does do that...) it melted a bit of plastic. I didn't say it melted the entire valance, just at the top of the opening. i cut it off, case closed. no more melting. and I STILL LOVE the exhaust and wouldn't change or downtalk it in anyway. It sounds beautiful. I just think that the rubber hangers aren't stiff enough. Maybe u guys should look into making some Alta urethane hangers to replace the rubber ones . I would like to have first dibs if u do
BTW...I'll take a pic of what i cut to show

Last edited by M!N!-ME; 09-15-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:47 PM
jollyroger927
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the info.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Shouldn't the exhaust be shaped properly so that it just exits in the proper place without being forced?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:38 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by erickvonzipper
Shouldn't the exhaust be shaped properly so that it just exits in the proper place without being forced?
Thanks for asking. It is! But there are slight variants to cars, JCW kit, vs, non-JCW, certain headers, change the direction, etc. etc. So we went and added additional places to make changes.

Plus some clients like the tip closer to the bumper than others. With our kit you can tip them up, straight out or down.

But the important thing is to tighten the supplied clamps on the hangers and rods to keep the system in the place you want it to be.

Thanks again for asking! Let me know if I can help further!

Old 09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
sideburns
1st Gear
SEMA Show

Is Alta going to have a booth at Sema (Las Vegas) this November?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sideburns
Is Alta going to have a booth at Sema (Las Vegas) this November?
YES and no. WE are prepping a 2008 MINI Clubman for MINIUSA and H&R and it will be appearing in the H&R booth. Additionally, we are prepping our Nissan GTR for the same show.

Members of our staff will be in and around the show. A formal announcement will be forthcoming.

Thanks for asking!

Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any word on the CARB cert for the Alta CAI?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 AM
discodan
5th Gear
when are you going to have a sale on the R53 MCS exhaust? i need to make
a change. (preferably stealth black btw.)

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ninjlao
Any word on the CARB cert for the Alta CAI?
NOPE! SORRY!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:55 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by discodan
when are you going to have a sale on the R53 MCS exhaust? i need to make
a change. (preferably stealth black btw.)
I have one left! We just found it in the showroom. PM me or call me and I will hook you up! Chat then!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Tuckaah
Neutral
Jeff,
Recently had installed H&R Sport Springs and your 19mm rear bar on my 08 CooperS at a local BMW garage. Much scruching noise from the bar. Back to the shop, noise is from the bushings, disassembled and re-lubed, still makes noise. Called Alta they said it might need to be broken in! crap
Can anything be done? can't stand the noise, embarassing for a new car.
Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Tuckaah
Jeff,
Recently had installed H&R Sport Springs and your 19mm rear bar on my 08 CooperS at a local BMW garage. Much scruching noise from the bar. Back to the shop, noise is from the bushings, disassembled and re-lubed, still makes noise. Called Alta they said it might need to be broken in! crap
Thanks
Thanks for asking!

That is NOT a normal thing and certainly not needing to be "broken in". Couple things to check, one be sure they got the SPRINGS installed properly. That is more likely to make a scrunching noise vs. the sway bar. The bar is improperly lubed can make more of a squealing snapping noise when going over bumps etc.

You might ask them how they determined that it was the bushings.

Be sure they used the new bushings supplied in the kit, and not the OEM bushings. This also goes for the bushing clamps.

Please PM me or e-mail me if I can help in anyway further. This sounds 100% like an installation concern and not a fault of the parts.

Chat then!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuckaah
Jeff,
Thanks
Typically, you don't want to/need to - lube new sway bar bushings.....why would you have do that ? Harder the bushings the better, less movement of bar means tighter turns ? Right ? I have had OLd/used/glazed sb bushings make noise.... that would be normal, but not your case unless they didnt give you the new bushings that came with bar ?

Sounds more like the H&R Springs to me, and what/how they are seated.......try replicating road bounce conditions to create the same noise but while MINI is in driveway, while your head is near area of noise under car. ( safely ) This should eliminate bar/bushings, then move on from there....

Good Luck!

Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
I've sure been getting the run-around on the month old order of adjustable camber plates.
I keep getting told you'll call me back with answers but no calls back. I called Thursday and was promised a call back.
Whatsup?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
I've sure been getting the run-around on the month old order of adjustable camber plates.
I keep getting told you'll call me back with answers but no calls back. I called Thursday and was promised a call back.
Whatsup?
THANK YOU for letting me know there is an issue. Always happy to help out!

If you left a message for me personally I didn't answer ANY calls on Friday due to laryngitis. I will be out of the office ALL day on Monday as well.

BUT, my girl in charge of all things lost, returned, or otherwise needing assistance Christina IS going to be in.

Email me and her christina.barlow@altaminiperformance.com any or all of the details and I promise something will get handled for you on Monday.

Again, my apologies for the delay in getting you your product and answers! Never our intention!

Chat soon!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
Just installed my Alta 17% and WOW!!! Coupled with my Alta 3" and V2 intake, all I can say is "impressive". This is how the MINI should have come from the factory. Urethane exhaust hangers are next to reduce vibration....I wonder if I could just use the Cobb tuning ones for the wrx??

Old 10-10-2008, 05:00 PM
mickdayank
2nd Gear
Let 'er rip!

Installed the CAI, boost tubes upgrade and turbo inlet hose on my 09 MCS and holy schnikeys is there a difference! I dont care about percentages and HP number gains cuz I'm just a normal guy but...That girl pulls like a SOB!! Fit of the turbo inlet hose on the turbo end was a bit short. Just has a hard time getting around that corner. It is wedged tightly in between the radiator resevoir and a hard silver tube coming off the turbo. That end may need to actually not be cut straight across but at an angle to make up for that corner because it wont get tight up against the turbo flange.

As far as install...2.5 hours for all of it. It was a breeze. I have read lots about pain, hamburger hands, and long hours but it you take off your airbox/CAI filter then the upper boost hose is a snap to put in. On the lower boost tube, jack it up on the driver side on the front jack point and I placed a stand under the rear jack point so the car wasnt hanging in mid air and went to town. Again it was a snap when going from underneath. Do get a 1/4" drive rachet with torx bits, and an 8mm socket with a couple extensions and this is an easy install.

Thanks Adam for all your help in the beginning.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Il generale
1st Gear
Hello,now i'm runnig a 19% reduction pulley but I'm looking for this setting : 15% supercharger reduction pulley, 3/4% oversized crank pulley and the 5% alta-nator pulley...

Can I use the stock belt?

Thank you, regards Andrea

Last edited by Il generale; 10-12-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 PM
ALTA_Chris
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Il generale
Hello,now i'm runnig a 19% reduction pulley but I'm looking for this setting : 15% supercharger reduction pulley, 3/4% oversized crank pulley and the 5% alta-nator pulley...

Can I use the stock belt?

Thank you, regards Andrea
I believe we spoke yesterday, but for those pulleys, you would could use the stock belt. The alta-nator pulley doesn't make that much of a difference in the size of the belt needed, thanks!

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!