Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 PM
BlackSapphire
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VELOCITYCRUNCH
Alta Folks,

Great porducts, great support. My MCS is so much more fun because of you!

In the recent past I upgraded to your 22mm Sway Bar with End Links. I am okay with a bit of noise with Modifications as it is the nature of such items as they exceed the intended 'comfort' engineering. With that having been said, it seems to me that there is an excessive loudness in chatter from my MCS's back end now.

I consider myself a rather meticulous individual. In fact I remain gainfully employed because I am. Regardless I am inclined to think that perhaps I have failed in my install of theses items rather than equipment fault.

I checked and re-checked every component that was touched for the installs and am baffled at what's going on. Furthermore, I can say that navigating these forums proves to be a time consuming and numbing experience as no one ever states a specific topic and never stay on topic making finding an answer rather difficult.

Is this chatter normal? If so, what is the typical accepted db level of chatter from this type of modification from inside/outside of the vehicle? Are there known issues, fixes, or installation errors that I can do or check that will put my mind at ease?

Thank you for your time and energy!

V/R
Sam
What part of TX are you in? I have the Alta sway bar (albeit the 19mm) and Alta endlinks and I don't think they make any noise at all.

Also, what year is your MINI?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
ninjlao
Ninja Mini
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any updates on CARB certification?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ninjlao
Any updates on CARB certification?

You better get a 50lb bag of Popcorn! No movement from CARB to our requests. Sorry!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:10 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey,
will alta be offering a j bung for their headers for those of us experiencing the cat below efficiency fault? it's the same code as expressed in other threads and your competitors are offering "j" bungs as a solution. so what about alta ?

Old 03-29-2009, 11:51 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by herbie hind
hey,
will alta be offering a j bung for their headers for those of us experiencing the cat below efficiency fault? it's the same code as expressed in other threads and your competitors are offering "j" bungs as a solution. so what about alta ?
Hi Herbie,

If you are having any issues with an ALTA Header AMP-EXT-050 (catted) with catalyst inefficiency codes, PLEASE alert ALTA_CHRIS immediately and we will get the issue resolved for you.

Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance!

Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Hi Herbie,

If you are having any issues with an ALTA Header AMP-EXT-050 (catted) with catalyst inefficiency codes, PLEASE alert ALTA_CHRIS immediately and we will get the issue resolved for you.

Thanks again for choosing ALTA Performance!
did that a year ago and was told to send header back so cat could be inspected , i was gonna do it but needed the car afterall . now that i know the fix is the "j" bung , i wont be sending it back . just asking for alta to be as customer attentive as rmw and mail me a j bung .

Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by herbie hind
did that a year ago and was told to send header back so cat could be inspected , i was gonna do it but needed the car afterall . now that i know the fix is the "j" bung , i wont be sending it back . just asking for alta to be as customer attentive as rmw and mail me a j bung .
Thank you for your reply! We did have a few clients that got catalysts that were actually bad. The mfr. needed them for inspection to determine the root cause, if faulty they were replaced and no need to do anything else. We don't provide a "j-bung" so I am not sure where that information came from. We are VERY customer oriented and happy to help any and all clients that have pre-purchase or post purchase concerns.

I hope you will consider allowing us to help you as well. Thanks again for choosing ALTA!

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ADAMSALTAMINI
Thank you for your reply! We did have a few clients that got catalysts that were actually bad. The mfr. needed them for inspection to determine the root cause, if faulty they were replaced and no need to do anything else. We don't provide a "j-bung" so I am not sure where that information came from. We are VERY customer oriented and happy to help any and all clients that have pre-purchase or post purchase concerns.

I hope you will consider allowing us to help you as well. Thanks again for choosing ALTA!
hey that's awsome so i'll send my info and you can send me a cat and i'll weld it in thx .

Old 04-02-2009, 08:49 AM
n733lk
5th Gear
I am an average to spirited driver; no racing. Would I notice any difference if I wrapped the exhausts on my MCS Clubby?
Does it help with MPG at all?
Do I need to wrap the entire exhaust or will parts of it (what I can easily reach) provide some added benefits?

Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by n733lk
I am an average to spirited driver; no racing. Would I notice any difference if I wrapped the exhausts on my MCS Clubby?
Does it help with MPG at all?
Do I need to wrap the entire exhaust or will parts of it (what I can easily reach) provide some added benefits?

Thanks!

Thanks for asking. I haven't ever compared MPG and power gains with wrapping an entire system. Some slight HP gains to be had if the turbo, manifold, and DP are wrapped. But you need to look at the potential warranty problems if you end up melting the OEM plumbing etc. as a result.

My vote is that is a lot of effort for very little gain in this case.

Thanks for asking! Also, don't forget we have a separate Q&A Thread for Gen II cars. CLICK HERE

Chat soon!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 AM
call it spade
5th Gear
I just want to congratulate you and Perrin on the Fast and The Furious Subaru, Adam.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by call it spade
I just want to congratulate you and Perrin on the Fast and The Furious Subaru, Adam.
Hey thank you! Really appreciate the support! Did you see the movie yet?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
MUShadd
6th Gear
you guys got a car in the movie? nice.

On a different note, I sent a pm to alta2 , but never got a reply.

was checking on a price match for some wheels you carry.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MUShadd
you guys got a car in the movie? nice.

On a different note, I sent a pm to alta2 , but never got a reply.

was checking on a price match for some wheels you carry.
Thanks for asking!

ALTA2 is strictly Tech Questions.

ALTA_Chris, ALTA_JohnL, or ADAMSALTAMINI for the sales side of things. Shoot me a PM and I will get to you ASAP! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Jon@TheMshop
1st Gear
Hey guys! I have a client with a 2003 Cooper S and already has a M7 Tuning Ram Hood Scoop. Will your top mount intercooler V2.0 fit without any fitting issues?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jon@TheMshop
Hey guys! I have a client with a 2003 Cooper S and already has a M7 Tuning Ram Hood Scoop. Will your top mount intercooler V2.0 fit without any fitting issues?

Thanks for asking! The intercooler will fit and minor mods need to be made to the scoop (as would be the case with the OEM scoop as well) and that is it!

Hope that helps! Please let me know if I can help in anyway further!

Old 05-08-2009, 02:27 PM
JCW GP0623
Neutral
hi I have 2 questions for you
1-I have your tensioner stop on my gp andit makes alot of noise is there a way to stop that noise
2-I am using your top mount intercooler version 2 is there a way to make it work better I was using your v1 but v2 seemed to cool less I will add the water sprayer this week but is there any additional way to make it work it better and more efficient

Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
JCW GP0623
Neutral
I also have one more question
I use ngk iridium IX spark plugs and when I try to start the engine it takes a bit longer than usual for the starter to start the engine. is it usual with iridium plugs and does it have any damage to the engine. when the engine gets hot to normal values I stop the car and start it again it starts immediately it only does it at the first start. is this because of iridium plugs or is there any other reason I also use 450cc bosch injectors some people in my country said this could also be a problem as the engine gets more fuel than usual but again I say it only does it at the first start

Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 PM
silvrcelt
1st Gear
Performance Pax

Adam, I have an R53 and I've been lusting after the new Alta exhaust for quite a while. I don't quite understand the collection of Alta components you've chosen to put together in the performance pax? For someone who is running entirely stock, like me, how about a performance pax that includes the following: 15% pulley, CAI, and exhaust? Isn't that the classic stage one upgrade? You could throw the sway bar there as well, or maybe some spark plug wires. But the classic upgrade, it seems to me, begins with those first three components, true?

Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
MUShadd
6th Gear
i just got my tensioner stop. whats the black rubber piece thats attached on one side? am i supposed to leave it on? is it some type of sound deadening feature to prevent any noises?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JCW GP0623
hi I have 2 questions for you
1-I have your tensioner stop on my gp andit makes alot of noise is there a way to stop that noise
2-I am using your top mount intercooler version 2 is there a way to make it work better I was using your v1 but v2 seemed to cool less I will add the water sprayer this week but is there any additional way to make it work it better and more efficient
Originally Posted by JCW GP0623
I also have one more question
I use ngk iridium IX spark plugs and when I try to start the engine it takes a bit longer than usual for the starter to start the engine. is it usual with iridium plugs and does it have any damage to the engine. when the engine gets hot to normal values I stop the car and start it again it starts immediately it only does it at the first start. is this because of iridium plugs or is there any other reason I also use 450cc bosch injectors some people in my country said this could also be a problem as the engine gets more fuel than usual but again I say it only does it at the first start
Originally Posted by MUShadd
i just got my tensioner stop. whats the black rubber piece thats attached on one side? am i supposed to leave it on? is it some type of sound deadening feature to prevent any noises?
Hey guys,

The rubber piece is to isolate any noise from vibration. Just leave it on the part.

On the second Injector Question (which I sent you a PM and e-mail as well) it sounds like the injectors not being tuned for at idle are the problem, not the plugs. Get that fixed!

Thanks folks.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by silvrcelt
Adam, I have an R53 and I've been lusting after the new Alta exhaust for quite a while. I don't quite understand the collection of Alta components you've chosen to put together in the performance pax? For someone who is running entirely stock, like me, how about a performance pax that includes the following: 15% pulley, CAI, and exhaust? Isn't that the classic stage one upgrade? You could throw the sway bar there as well, or maybe some spark plug wires. But the classic upgrade, it seems to me, begins with those first three components, true?
Thanks for the post and for asking!

First: We can always pack together anything a client wants. So PM me your details and I will work something out.

Second: We didn't try to be classic. If you look at most of our current Pax they touch on several parts of the car. For the Pak One, you get a Shifter (you touch and enjoy every time you drive the car) Rear Sway Bar improves the handling, and the intake for power and sound. So in essence you have touched and improved several areas of the car. Vs. Just performance.

Hope that makes sense. REGARDLESS, we will work on making some Performance Only Stages for the R53 and get them online for clients ASAP.

Again, hope to get your PM soon! Thanks in advance for choosing ALTA Performance!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Minitallica
Neutral
Alta,

I recently bought an R53 that came with a supercharger pulley. Now this might be a silly question but how do I identify which pulley it is (15,17,19%)? It is not the verstion 2.0 pulley. Is there a way to measure it?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Minitallica
Alta,

I recently bought an R53 that came with a supercharger pulley. Now this might be a silly question but how do I identify which pulley it is (15,17,19%)? It is not the verstion 2.0 pulley. Is there a way to measure it?
If it is an ALTA pulley V 1.0 it will either have the % change engraved into it, OR if it doesn't (but does have the ALTA logo) it is 15%.

Hope that helps! PLEASE let me know how I can help in anyway! Congrats on the new car!

Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Minitallica
Neutral
15% it is! Thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Official ALTA Q&A thread!